PDA

View Full Version : The new race might be dragons

chemdog
21-03-2010, 15:44
page 202 wfb rulebook.

A fully playable race of dragons will come. If its not chaos dwarfs and not Cathay, then its a dragon-type race.

The wfb timeline can change by having the reawakening of the dragons and such.

I used to work at GW's a couple of years ago and they were talking about it being a release back then. Now that they can make all sorts of big winged monsters, winged space marines (blood angels) and such in plastic, you can bet thats whats coming. Draconian style infantry etc

A dragon army would be a "race and army never played before in WFB" and you will most certainly Bow your head to the dragons.... The statement is not that profound, hust dont look to much into it. Dragons were never considered a "race" and tehy have never been a playbale army.

Caiphas Cain
21-03-2010, 15:45
Really? :eyebrows:

chemdog
21-03-2010, 15:47
i saw the chatter and since they were so kind as to allow me "mutual seperation" i figured i let you know what was flying around teh office.

Falkman
21-03-2010, 15:53
This Dragon army rumour was doing the rounds at the release of 7th ed as well, I don't think it holds any more water now than it did then.

Tokamak
21-03-2010, 15:54
Oh no not another thread... please... don't. Just don't.

Finnigan2004
21-03-2010, 15:58
I thought of the same thing when I saw the entry. It's like they never had ASF in the special rules section of the rules book in sixth. They put it in for seventh, and then "BAM" high elves.

babyberg31
21-03-2010, 16:04
Oh no not another thread... please... don't. Just don't.

I second this. +1 for Tokamak.

shelfunit.
21-03-2010, 16:05
Just a big list of monsters?

Otherwise wouldn't they look a bit too much like Lizzies?

yorch
21-03-2010, 16:13
I don't see it happening, but I would buy them...

Horus38
21-03-2010, 16:25
Not seeing it happening. Possibly a new kit(s) to fill out the existing dragon entries, but an entire army is very un-warhammerish and not really supported by the fluff.

bigcheese76
21-03-2010, 16:35
I don't see it happening, but I would buy them...

Exactly my opinion aswell. It is unlikely to happen I think, but if it did, then I would collect an army.

Frep
21-03-2010, 16:37
This is almost as bad of an idea as angels, honestly who the hell came up with THAT one. Sure we have armies of demons but they were established parts of the background. Now we're supposesed to believe dragons are coming, this makes no sense.

Dragons are supposed to be so rare these days the highelves can't fill out their ranks of dragon riders, and vampires go on quests to relieve the blood thirst. Noe how the hell do they explain an entire race of the damn things? The concept of dragon-like infantrymen, well that doesn't sound exactly like lizard men at all does it.

Mr. Ultra
21-03-2010, 17:00
This sounds like Warhammer Armies: Fishmen.

Bubble Ghost
21-03-2010, 17:10
I'm assuming the OP is trolling, but just in case: the thing about dragons is in the background section of the book. It's talking about other intelligent races in the setting. This in no way necessarily equates to model ranges and army books.

Although thinking about it, it seems from this as though people equate "race" with "faction", and "faction" with "army" - and suddenly the reason for the state of the human race is depressingly clear. So good work on the concise anthropological exposition at least.

Tymell
21-03-2010, 17:14
I'll believe it when I see it.

Scelerat
21-03-2010, 17:34
Ew. Just ew.

Tau-Lover
21-03-2010, 17:40
This sounds like Warhammer Armies: Fishmen.
Seadragons? :p

Well, we know that dragons was there before the Old Ones, but an army of dragons? I can't imagen that, they don't really have that much personality to act as characters.

Gaargod
21-03-2010, 17:42
Neither rumours nor news.

Take this with a whole mountain range of salt.

Desert Rain
21-03-2010, 17:42
Sounds very unlikely to me. I think that they should concentrate on the armies that already are in the game instead of making new ones.

Condottiere
21-03-2010, 17:57
On one hand, it fits in with Monsterhammer; on the other, how many would buy an army? Individual models for collectors and conversion purposes, maybe.

chaos0xomega
21-03-2010, 17:59
I'm sorry, I just had a heart attack from the massive amount of salt i ingested... you were saying?

Voss
21-03-2010, 18:02
Huzzah, rumour reverb + random speculation = thread. Alas, it doesn't equate to a rumour or news, so...

Joeli
21-03-2010, 18:12
Draconids dont even exist in the warhammer world, besides that, there are scores of other prioritys for games workshop to make, as listed before, just expect a big surprise:)

Arnizipal
21-03-2010, 18:25
This is just a wishlisting/random speculation thread, so I'm moving it to Warhammer General.

Arnizipal

++ The Warhammer Moderation Team ++

ivrg
21-03-2010, 18:27
I also think its unlikely that dragons will be released as a new army and i think that rumour about some new army being released is untrue.

And honestly i cant figure out what the hell is going on. Why cant we see some simple release shedule from GW? Is it really something to be super-secret about? They should be glad that they have curious customers instead of being secretive and not saying anything.

Grimstonefire
21-03-2010, 20:42
They should be glad that they have curious customers instead of being secretive and not saying anything.

They have both though!?

There are many reasons why I cannot see Dragons as an entire army happening (most of which echoes what others have said)

Fluff rarity first and foremost. :wtf:

Secondly, how could they design a list based entirely on dragons?

Thirdly, as 'new' concepts go it is pretty far out, they would do better to sell something people already have a strong desire for.

The only way I could see this working is if they designed some sort of dragon worshipers as a dual list, and designed a load of variant forms/ sub races (cavalry, wyrm like with no wings etc). But ... wait... that would fit perfectly into Cathay. :eyebrows:

No, I think IF Gabacho's rumour he heard was correct, it certainly is NOT dragons.

Wednesday Friday Addams
21-03-2010, 20:44
They would make a great ally to the fishmen that will come later.

badgeraddict
21-03-2010, 20:55
What a load of old 'meh'

orlanth1000
21-03-2010, 20:57
Awesome, was upset when the other new army race thread was locked.

These are my favorite threads since the rumors threads have become boring rules discussions.

* sits back and watches the fun *

@ Harry, you should repost your Chuck Norris army book cover, it will be probably more appreciated here :)

spetswalshe
21-03-2010, 21:12
You know, an all-flying force would be enough of a gimmick to launch a new army off the back of (in the sense that High Elves; ASF gimmick, Vampire Counts; Undead gimmick, Bretonnians; cavalry gimmick and so on). But dragons are covered by the High Elf book - a 'dragon army' would make a significant portion of the reasoning behind why Elves get dragons and very few others do obsolete.

I think we're more likely to see Warhammer Armies; Crabs than Dragons.

logan054
21-03-2010, 21:28
I really doubt we are going to see a dragon race, i could possibly see a dragon ogre race added but i doubt even that, pinch of salt taken

Anarnaxe
21-03-2010, 21:37
Giant monster army......

When the hell did the Old World move to Japan?

Next they'll be saying the Empire will be fielding steam-punk mec.... Oh wait, they have the steamtank....

KalEf
21-03-2010, 22:30
Sorry guys I would buy the models... I bet they would be cool.
If the new campaign was about how some pact that keeps dragons and dragon ogres sleepy, was undone. maybe it's the slan's doing and some plaque gets destroyed, IDK. Anyhow, the good guys go on the offensive and try to take back enough area so the High elves can try to fix the polar gate.

Maybe some units of drakes of different colors (like flying cav), some kobalt lackeys, ect... Then a chaos list that focused on Dragon ogres...

you know while they're on the monster hammer, lets do a dragoon giant with a pet wyvern as a DOW. :D

lol 8th edition becomes more like 40k and then rolls right into apocalypse.

btw. I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt ANY of this would happen. But just in case, I think I'll convert some coldones into drakes this weekend. :shifty:

wizbix
21-03-2010, 23:00
Hopefully Gotrek and Felix will slay them all. :rolleyes:

Lewis
21-03-2010, 23:22
I could have sworn Jervis said only this month that there wouldn't be any new armies...

Grimstonefire
22-03-2010, 00:14
What he said was that the GW studio did not have plans to release a new army in the short-medium term. By the way he described it I understood that if they did release something new it would be built up in waves of releases and eventually be an army (or something like that, don't have my WD to hand). Which would be a very interesting way to release an army.

The SkaerKrow
22-03-2010, 00:24
It could work, though the armies would be tiny and the book a nightmare to balance. Still, I'm not at all opposed to the idea, if it were done well.

Truth be told, I wouldn't be surprised if GW was sitting on a big, atypical release like this for WHFB, just waiting to spring it on us when the sales numbers dip to a level that causes their bean counters to get twitchy.

VonUber
22-03-2010, 00:27
I'd love this to be true but this sounds just as likely to happen as a dragon ogre book. They allready have models and ogres got a book, why not dragon ogres?

Phelix
22-03-2010, 00:38
No.

Armies that are too far out there are doomed to fail as they don't fit the core mechanics well enough. An army of Dragons would work wonders against some armies (anything with a low Ld and nothing to counter that) while it would completely fail against armies with lots of cannons/bolt throwers etc.

And if you are talking about "Dragon-people" we already have that, they are called lizardmen.

VonUber
22-03-2010, 00:45
I wonder if they will come out near the time as the plastic chaos demon prince?

Grimstonefire
22-03-2010, 00:54
Truth be told, I wouldn't be surprised if GW was sitting on a big, atypical release like this for WHFB, just waiting to spring it on us when the sales numbers dip to a level that causes their bean counters to get twitchy.

There is a very good reason why they would not do this. GW incurs the cost of lost time/ resources when it produces models that do not come out for sale soon. We have heard that they judge the success of releases by how long it takes them to pay for themselves, so it clearly does matter to them.

For them to do a whole army this way and just sit on it, the cost would be huge really. Even if they just kept models in concept form, they would still be 18 months away from sale because of the time involved in actually producing plastic moulds.

It's why I said above that it would be interesting for them to release a completely new army. Either they would do it entirely from scratch and release it as soon as it is finished, or they would release it piecemeal. Which would raise a lot of questions as to how this would be done (why would people buy an incomplete army? How would the rules be done, or would it be collectors models only?).

Infact the only way they could release a 'surprise' army without it costing them lost time/ resources would be to outsource their entire production and design to freelancers, which is extremely unlikely for GW studio.

Sleazy
22-03-2010, 00:58
dont see this at all for a few reasons.

1. this rumour has been around for ages and nothing has ever come from it.
2. As much as GW likes to pilfer ideas this would be a massive steal from AD&D.
3. this would alter the long existing current fluff that the dragons are no so rare as to be mythical. Even the elves of Caledor are unable to wake most of them.

It aint happening.

steppingonyou
22-03-2010, 01:08
fishmen riding dragons wielding 2 handed jokeroos. i would buy those.

since we are wishlisting this thread to death, i put my money on an insect race. like tyranids. or space marines.
cathay would be cool though.

Plaguelord Deathspasm
22-03-2010, 01:10
The fluff for the army could be really cool though. A super old dragon wakes up, as the equivalent of kholek, or whichever the oldest dragon ogre is. Then he wakes up several other dragons. Meanwhile the nearby human villages either begin to worship them/are enslaved by them. Then this new "dragon god", along with all the other newly awakened dragons become more active. Baby dragons are born, and you now have an army led by a super dragon, with dragon lords, dragon heroes, human troops, and small dragons for special and rare slots. It would be some sort of fusion between the empire and lizardmen.

Commodus Leitdorf
22-03-2010, 01:19
GW please listen

CHAOS DWARFS FIRST

That is all.

ZeroTwentythree
22-03-2010, 01:22
Bah. I've actually seen the concept art. The "new race" is squats, riding zoats, riding fire breathing space manitees. It will finally prove, once and for all, that the WFB world is part of the 40k universe, thus killing three (or four) stupid recurring threads once and for all. :angel:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/personal/SZMFBinspce.jpg

Edit: Dammit. No inline images?

Commodus Leitdorf
22-03-2010, 01:25

....the horror....the horror.....

Lord Dan
22-03-2010, 01:28
Why not, you ask?

Dan: Okay, for my first unit I'll put these warhounds down in this corner. Okay, you're to go.
Opponent: Alright, I'm going to place a dragon.
Dan: Alright, my second unit will be another of warhounds. Let's see.... okay, that should do it. Back to you man.
Opponent: I'm going to go ahead and place this dragon.
Dan: Er...I see. This is a unit of 12 warriors, musician, shields, MoN. There we go. Over to you.
Opponent: I'm on to my hero choices. I'm going to put down this dragon. Okay, I'm done deploying.

And that's why not.

minionboy
22-03-2010, 01:44
I would rather see cathayan fishmen. Seriously, I would welcome it.

scarletsquig
22-03-2010, 01:59
Bah. I've actually seen the concept art. The "new race" is squats, riding zoats, riding fire breathing space manitees. It will finally prove, once and for all, that the WFB world is part of the 40k universe, thus killing three (or four) stupid recurring threads once and for all. :angel:

Edit: Dammit. No inline images?

I would happily pay greatsword prices for those.

ChaosVC
22-03-2010, 02:05
I also heard that due to the popularity of Monster hammer, the dragon army could be a possibility as all "competative" players are churning out the cash for GW. As not to disappoint some other competative players, GW decide to introdue another new race call the "Ultra man league". For those who are not familiar with this, here is a link. And YEAH!!! They can rank up and fight in 2 ranks and those that had die can still strike back, they may be as large as all the monster in the GW army, they are known for team work too.:cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraman

TimLeeson
22-03-2010, 02:43
GW please listen

CHAOS DWARFS FIRST

That is all.

Agreed, iv been wanting to play WFB for like a decade now, but I dont like any of the other races. Only chaos dwarfs (the assyrian ones) appeal to me.

ZigZagMan
22-03-2010, 03:16
FishDragons! or maybe Stealth Marines... oh wait wrong game.

Roark
22-03-2010, 07:24
I heard it was Zombie Fish-ninjas with 2 handed jokeroos. Some of them will be given the option of riding Manatees.

THIS CONVERSATION OCCURRED AROUND A WATER COOLER AT THE GW HEADQUARTERS.

Don't thank me.

KalEf
22-03-2010, 07:37
THIS CONVERSATION OCCURRED AROUND A WATER COOLER AT THE GW HEADQUARTERS.

Almost as good as having the army book in my hands! I will stop with the drake conversions and try to figure out something sea cow related... It's kind of a bummer too, I was half done. Plus, I was making a unit of pixie core for my dragon army (obviously the 2 belong together). they're kind of like pink horrors I hear :D ... now that I've said all of that, I am sad :( for ridiculous or not, that army would look cool!

Condottiere
22-03-2010, 07:43
Another consideration is that every unit causes terror, and if you can mass them on one flank, they can isolate sections of their opponents army and overwhelm them.

Vermin-thing
22-03-2010, 09:19
Know what, we already have daemons so why would we need another all fear causing army?

This would be very easy to turn into a daemon army.

Lord of change= magic dragon.
Bloodthirster= combat dragon.
Keeper of secrets= Chinese dragon.

Winged/disk herald of tzeentch= dragon hero.

Min bloodletters/horrors= dragon spawn.

20000 million furies= dragon warriors.

Bloodcrushers= flightless dragons

I might have to do this.

wizbix
22-03-2010, 09:35
The OP mentioned Draconians. In Dragon Lance, the Draconians were a race of humanoids derived from stolen Dragon eggs and thus they were not an army of dragon's but dragon men. Anyway it doesnt matter, I doubt they'd do this as it would be a bit of a rip off but you never know. I'd imagine there is some kind of suprise in store that we may not be expecting but it will be soemthing that in hindsight after the event we will say that we should have expected - what ever that may be.

wizbix
22-03-2010, 09:37
My favourite Dragonlance novel centred on a Draconian brigade.

Condottiere
22-03-2010, 11:25
Was that the Pioneer unit?

BigbyWolf
22-03-2010, 11:28
page 202 wfb rulebook.

A fully playable race of dragons will come. If its not chaos dwarfs and not Cathay, then its a dragon-type race.

Sorry, but this is wrong. I heard from my brothers' room-mates' sisters poodle (who has close ties with some very big dogs in the GW world) that we can soon be expecting Warhammer Armies: Trolls

Now finally there will be a book to show you how to Troll properly.

shelfunit.
22-03-2010, 11:37

Do you think they have the moulds ready to go?

;)

namarie
22-03-2010, 11:39
Just one thing.

On 6th edition we had a complete new book: Ogre Kingdoms. Yes, we had Ogres, but no Ogre Kingdoms book.

On 7th we had Daemons. We had Daemons, but they then got their own book (based on some pre-existing lists, sure).

On 8th we WILL have a new army, sooner or later. GW makes (great) games and (great) little soldiers; if some little soldiers (army) are not selling enough to win X amount of money (think CD), surely they will try to replace with another one trying to reach this.

Which army will we have in next 3 years? I don't know, and until there are some photos, there will be a lot of "rumours from a certain source". Dragons? Maybe, or maybe not.

Arnizipal
22-03-2010, 12:39
Ugh... I'm not even going to bother cleaning up all this trolling.

Thread closed.

Arnizipal

++ The Warseer Moderation Team ++