PDA

View Full Version : What happened to 3rd Ed. SM Command Squad?

Night Bearer
21-03-2010, 23:04
Hey all,

Does anyone know what happened to the metal Space Marine Command set released at the beginning of Third Edition? I'm just starting a SM army, and was hoping they'd still have these as collector models. However, none of these models is available from the GW store.

Did the mold break??? The Captain and Techmarine are amongst my all-time favorite GW models, and the other three are pretty high up there as well for me. I know a lot of people like the plastic kits, but all five of these models are just such nice models that I can't believe not a single one survived the backlog purge.

For a bunch of nice minis, I'm a bit surprised that GW apparently dropped all five from their website.

Wyrmwood
21-03-2010, 23:11
Well, they're all old and as such, are of a much smaller scale than the current releases.

bigcheese76
21-03-2010, 23:15
They would be in the collecters section if they were still produced, but I have just checked and there not there. I think if you really want these models, ebay is probably your best bet. Or create a Wanted thread here at Warseer, the chances are someone has these models and is willing to sell.

Night Bearer
21-03-2010, 23:17
Well, they're all old and as such, are of a much smaller scale than the current releases.
True, but GW still has the older Techmarine and one of the older Chaplain metals still available.

Just seems random that that entire set of models would be dropped. <shrug>

wazatdingder
21-03-2010, 23:19
I think they may have a box at my LGS.

Wyrmwood
21-03-2010, 23:21
True, but GW still has the older Techmarine and one of the older Chaplain metals still available.

Perhaps they lost the competition against the new Command Squad set? I know a guy who still owns that old metal Captain; if you want it, perhaps I can convince him to sell/trade it...

StormWulfen
21-03-2010, 23:39
I just find it funny that the standard bearer model in there is newer than the metal one they have on the website, and a better model IMO.

Thud
21-03-2010, 23:54
I have one of those sets, and the Techmarine is about to be cannibalized. ;)

AndrewGPaul
21-03-2010, 23:56
It presumably got retired when the codex changed to make it an illegal unit; Techmarines aren't part of command squads any more, and even in 3rd edition, you needed to add one more Marine to make it a legal squad.

TheBigBadWolf
21-03-2010, 23:56
I still have mine, only use the tech priest, I did paint the captain, but I have since stripped it with a conversion in mind.

Sleazy
22-03-2010, 00:27

I have these and am pretty sure they are not any smaller than current marines.

I'd part with them for a decent trade.

Noserenda
22-03-2010, 00:45
Yeah nice set of models those, in fact ive got converted versions of both the Techmarine and Captain in easy reach of my PC... :D

And yeah, they arent any smaller than current marines, they are Peers of the Tactical Marines we still use today :rolleyes:

dr.oetk3r
22-03-2010, 00:50
The standard bearer and veteran are a little off scale when compared to the newer plastics, as is the apothecary, captain and techmarine (but not by much).

Corrode
22-03-2010, 02:21
I've just stripped the Techmarine from that set, I'm using the Apothecary in my current Command Squad, and I have the banner/sarge somewhere. The Captain was sadly destroyed by youthful neglect, but I've managed to pick up a spare ;) It was a lovely box.

Doppleskanger
22-03-2010, 03:05
I got the tech marine back when they still had bitz...He is smaller than the modern techmarine with the full servo harness but not really noticeably smaller than the modern standard marine. he is actually quite a stocky little fella though, like he ate a few to many pies!
And i couldn't be bothered making and painting paper banners for the rest of them, so I would end up changing those parts to plastic at the least. Really I can't see any point hunting these down.

Scryer in the Darkness
22-03-2010, 08:05

It's pretty straight forward, when the new Codex came out it was an illegal unit and they replaced the metal set with the new plastic Command Squad box. It's not random, it's what GW does - replaces old metal models with new plastic ones.

And most retired metal models don't make it into the "Collectors Range", they just disappear.

Wicksy
22-03-2010, 14:45

Er...i have 3 of those 5 and they nigh on the same scale as the new stuff.

AndrewGPaul
22-03-2010, 14:49
I would hope they were, since they were released at the same time as the first of the current plastic Space Marines. The Black Reach Space Marines are no biger than the tactical squad from the 3rd edition box.