PDA

View Full Version : What should be in the next Dark Angels Codex?

Xyrex
22-03-2010, 04:43
By this I mean rulewise, as well as fluff. For example, I think that our captains should have Ws6 like other captains. Also, I noticed that the SM codex has all these epic moments of people killing MCs (calgar comes to mind) and DA don't have any of that. I think they should add these... I would also like it if the added something that clearly states Lion isnt a traitor, it keeps pissing me off!

MadHatter
22-03-2010, 05:04
A section dedicated to the fallen. I want to put cypher on the table with a group of fallen angels.

other then that put them on par with other marines.

Vesica
22-03-2010, 07:41
Hmmm i want to see a watcher kill a few Avatars.

player21
22-03-2010, 09:05
Bring the troops in line with the all the other marines. Raven wing little cheaper. Mortis pattern dread. Jet bikes. And for the giggles the storm raven that been mod to carry raven wing bikers and a land speeder where the dread should be.

x2wyckedx
22-03-2010, 10:50
First off Lion is a traitor. They should be brought in line stats and points wise. Mortis dread would be cool. I would like another troop choice besides tactical squads. Their psychic powers are abysmal now but with the way things are going I'm sure they will fix that with something outrageous.

m_r_parker
22-03-2010, 11:04
Haven't we had a few of these threads already?...

I think the higest priority is to bring all equipment and units up to the Space Marine "standard", i.e. new versions of Storm Shields, updated stats for HQs, etc

Once that's in place, they can do some funky stuff to the list. I would hope that they do the funky stuff to the Deathwing and the Ravenwing, as this is where the majority of the differencre is to regular marine structures, and roll some of this up to the HQ choices. Hopefully they have the foresight to ensure that existing Deathwing and Ravenwing players have the flexability to play their lists (as per the current "take this HQ and X becomes Troops" mechanism).

From a personal standpoint, I would like to see Deathwing squads have similar flexability in wargear choices that Wolf Guard have, so the ability to take combi-weapons, and not focussed on the standard PF+SB / 2xLC / TH+SS combos that are available at the moment. This is something that has always griped me, Termies are some of the most experienced and capable warriors of any chapter, and yet their equipment is always somewhat limiting.

Oh, and bring back the Mortis dreadnought into the main book. I'm fed up of people giving me a hard time because it's a Forgeworld vehicle and therefore automatically broken / overpowered / undercosted / just not willing to play against it. Of all the Forgeworld units and vehicles to complain against, this ain't it!

And a final point - hands off our Interrogator Chaplains!!!

Hasan ibn Sabbah
22-03-2010, 13:04
- Mortis Dreads
- Less-Generic Special Characters (they should have "some" bling, I don't want Mephiston-like monsters but something with character)
- Watchers!
- Fallen Angels

The thing is they are too much "codex" chapter, Deathwing and Ravening isn't enough to justify all codex for them. They should have something that would give their non-terminator, non-bike army, some unique feel. SW have that heroic feel, even if you don't use special characters, BA for me have something from heavy chivaliery, DA are vanillas with 2 characters that let you alter troops... not enough. The question is what niche could be filled with DE and what could they do better than vanillas + Belial and Samael. We have 2 CC-monster chapters now, maybe make them super-shooty marines?

Doppleskanger
22-03-2010, 13:18
Move Deathwing and Ravenwing fully into the troops section, without the need to unlock this. Increase the squad sizes of both units to 10.Give the bikers bolt pistol and close combat weapon as standard and give them some sort of charge bonus, possibly increasing I and A by one, once per game/when they charge.

jams86
22-03-2010, 13:22
why do dark angels need their own codex?

you can do most things that are in their old codex with the latest SM book.

they're a codex chapter so you don't need a new book as they're not significantly different enough to warrant it

fritsk
22-03-2010, 13:26
Yup, best way to do dark angel codex:
- lots of fluff
- stating that you need to have the SM codex
- small list of fluff compatible army list / stuff extras/limitations

Arbedark
22-03-2010, 14:23
- Asmodai
- Ezekiel to overcome the "Green Hunger!" and become a S7 T7 6W Monster
- Lion Guard with Dark Blaster and Angel Shields
- The Watchers in the Dark are actually Necrons and as such Dark Angels can ally with Necrons, much like Dante did in the BA Codex, but better
- Deathwing Terminators are troops and get FnP, FC and CA as standard
- Ravenwing are troops that can outflank, from any table edge, and can Turbo-Boost on the turn they arrive
- The Lion Helm confers a 24" bubble of 2+ Inv saves

Lord Damocles
22-03-2010, 14:26
they're not significantly different enough to warrant it
This.

Or if not this, then guys wearing robes, dressed as angels, riding giant lions. :shifty:

hivefleetcarrion
22-03-2010, 14:30
giving the squad leaders some equipment, they are pretty basic and overcosted. heavenfall blades would be good, as now sm have relic blades.

some nice libby powers would be good

Lord Malorne
22-03-2010, 14:36

they're a codex chapter so you don't need a new book as they're not significantly different enough to warrant it

Nope, the chapters that have their own codexes will continue to have their own codexes, this latest wave of one codex to rule them all' mania is sad and will do nothing.

Bunnahabhain
22-03-2010, 15:04
I can't find my standard All loyalist marines in one book paragraph to copy-paste in...

I know it's unlikely to happen, but it should.

Lord Malorne
22-03-2010, 15:07
No, it should not, the reasons for it to happen are pitiful and born out of spite and jealousy.

castellanash
22-03-2010, 15:20
i think the watchers idea would be very cool, perhaps an honour guard unit of some description for Azrael? and maybe the ability to take a jetbike squad to go with Sammael. Deathwing should be able to charge on the turn they deepstrike too.

duffybear1988
22-03-2010, 15:34
Mortis dreads are obviously going to make an appearance. I predict Interrogator Chaplain dreadnoughts as well just for the hell of it.

Scout Sergeant Naaman or whatever his name was should make a return as a special character, as should Asmodai.

What about adding a new unit named after the original knights that found the Lion when he was a child? that would be cool and would fit the fluff maybe a little bit more than the BA sanguinary guard who just appear out of nowhere after looting the chapter armoury of all the relics :D They could be the personal guard of the interrogator chaplains (maybe make them a bit like a command squad in that you can take 1 squad per interrogator chaplain).

The Watchers should act a bit like a familiar and be an upgrade for characters and give some extra benefit.

hivefleetcarrion
22-03-2010, 15:53
we could have a character kill an avatar in a really poorly written fashion, as everyone knows that your not a real character until you down a avatar...or a brood of carnifexes :) j/k

i like the ideas of making them focus more on shooting than assault. makes them vastly different to BA/SW.

had to giggle at the sm riding a lion :)

taffeh
22-03-2010, 15:55
oh lets just forget the last 18 years of development and lets just put ALL, not just Marine armies but ALL armies back into a Codex Imperialis!

why? Cause some people couldnt see the point of some armies getting their own book! Never know we may see Cults and Dwarves-in-Space back too!

Megad00mer
22-03-2010, 16:12
Some sort of "Hunt for the Fallen" Army Wide Special Rule. Something to further differentiate them from C:SM.

The Stubbon USR should feature prominently.

Beef up the Special Characters to 5th Ed. levels. Add more of em like Asmodai.

New Librarian Psychic Powers.

Bring all Wargear in line with C:SMs and add funky DA only weapons and items.

Expand the Deathwing. DW should represent all the Veterans in the army, not just Terminator Squads.

Chaplain Dreadnoughts.

Mozzamanx
22-03-2010, 16:13
- Mortis Dreadnoughts, Land Raider Ares, Ravenwing Scouts, Tarantula Sentries
- Azrael gets Honour Guard
- Belial and Sammael alter the FOC more, so there is one 'Wing option in every slot
- Ironwing character who makes Predators elite and drives a Damocles. Predators in Heavy Support can be in squadrons of 1-2, and he makes Heavy Bolters into defensive weapons.
- Unique Ravenwing Jetbike squadron, 0-1 choice per army. Shooty rather than lances.
- Deathwing Sergeants get WS/BS5. Sword + Shield/Bolter as a standard wargear option.
- Unit of Inner Circle as a HQ squad, 1-3 models.
- Company Veterans can be upgraded to Devastator or Assault Company, granting Jump Packs or extra heavy weapons.

Dark Angel units are generally more expensive, but have strategy-based rules to make up the cost. For example, giving Tactical Squads Overwatch.
'Intractable'- If a DA unit fails a Ld test from firepower, they do not retreat. Instead they cannot move next turn.
Inner Circle titles available to characters, similar to Sagas. Stuff like 'Healer of the Brave' gives narthecium, or 'Keeper of the Watch'.

Azrael, Ezekiel, Bethor, Namaan and Cypher return as characters. Belial and Sammael go back to 'Master of the Xwing' to allow options and remove special character stigma.
Loads of options for both Belial and Sammael, including Ravenwing Bike and Cyclone Launcher.
Cypher is available, but is given to the opponent. Various rules that buff Dark Angels, so he is actually taken.
New characters! I'm thinking a Chapter Champion, Chaplain dedicated to hunting Cypher, and a Sergeant who has earnt a spot in the Deathwing but is not mentally prepared for it.

Fluffwise:
The 1st Companies of each Chapter are effectively a knightly order, with their own legends. There is friendly competition between each 'Order'.
The Ravenwing is massive, made up of every Chapters 2nd Company. Although they use the Chapter title, it is effectively a separate organisation and is a spy network that covers the galaxy.
The Ravenwing works extremely closely with the Scout Companies, donating Sergeants and Land Speeder Storms. Potential recruits are earmarked as Scouts, and will be inducted into the Ravenwing if they survive to Tactical status.

I love Dark Angels.

MistaGav
22-03-2010, 17:31
I had this idea for a character in terminator armour who works alone or in pairs. Basically specially sent behind enemy lines to take down characters, so like Terminator hunters.

I'm not really sure how I'd feel about the Ares as it's a bit expensive pts wise which could get killed pretty easily as it has to get close. I would love to see an Ironwing character a bit like Chronus and Tarantula guns in plastic too, shouldn't be too hard for GW to make.

Wyrmwood
22-03-2010, 17:48
Isn't there a huge thread on this already?

Bunnahabhain
22-03-2010, 17:49
Marines are marines are marines.

If the writers remember this, and have all the marines in one book, it makes more space for everyone else, in terms of:

-In the release schedule

- In game terms. If all the marines are not being different for the sake of being different, then they make easier to differentiate other races.

- If you have all chapters in one book, then you have to create cover all rules. Then it means any variant chapter people come across or invent is already covered.

There are sound reasons for both marines and non marine players to want a unified codex.

exsulis
22-03-2010, 18:03

Just a couple points:

Wow, so Ultrasmurfs getting most of our new toys and then said "hey I do not think you deserve your own codex because..." lol.

and

The Dark Angels are a microcosm of all the Adeptus Astartes. They were the first legion. All legions that followed, followed in their footsteps.

They are codex adherent. They are codex divergent.
They are loyal to the Emperor. They betrayed the Emperor.
Some serve the Imperium. Some serve Chaos. Some serve only themselves.
They struggle to overcome their past.
They are at war eternally with their own brethren.
They are known for using power armored marines.
They are known for using terminators.
They are known for using bikes.
They are monks.
They are knights.
They are Space Marines. They are Dark Angels.

All Space Marine legions and chapters, loyal and traitor, cast a shadow that resembles the Dark Angels.

and finally it makes no sense for GW to cut back on a push on GW's flagship army(Space marines) and multiple Codexes allows them to off set the expenditure.

All told The next Dark Angels codex needs to be the non-stripped down version. Its not like they don't have the fluff to flesh out the army list.

TimLeeson
22-03-2010, 18:06
* more relics to show they are the first and oldest legion.

* more emphasis on the watchers in the dark, could be used as unarmed scouts/intell type stuff ect.

* characters for successor chapters.

* Cypher in the book, changes the rules for DA to allow for "Fallen" armies.

* Mortis Dreads.

Balerion
22-03-2010, 18:35
Marines are marines are marines.

If the writers remember this, and have all the marines in one book, it makes more space for everyone else, in terms of:

-In the release schedule

- In game terms. If all the marines are not being different for the sake of being different, then they make easier to differentiate other races.

- If you have all chapters in one book, then you have to create cover all rules. Then it means any variant chapter people come across or invent is already covered.

There are sound reasons for both marines and non marine players to want a unified codex.
A naive outlook, and it will never happen.

LonelyPath
22-03-2010, 19:20
Lots more fluff to add even more character to the chapter and background in the fluff section, not spending the entire fluff of a SC describing more of the chapters secrets. Also bring back the fluff saying that the Lion is sleeping in the deepest part of The Rock.

- all wargear, points costs, vehicle rules and stats brought into line with C: SM.
- Namaan, Bethor and Asmodai put in the list.
- Any HQ in termie armour unlocking DW as troops.
- any HQ on bike unlocking RW as troops.
- Chaplain (as well as Interrogator Chaplain) and Mortis Dreads
- 2 special weapons or 2 heavy weapons in a tactical squad if at 10 men, 1 special weapon if less than 10 men.
- Predator and Vindicator squadrons (Ironwing).
- Sacred standards that are actually worth taking and each are different from the other.
- Honour Guard for Az.
- SC chapter masters for other Unforgiven chapters.
- Hunt the Fallen rules.
- Entries and rules for Cypher (HQ at company master level) and The Fallen.
- Stubborn USR for all units.
- better and more psychic powers.
- company vets remain but also get options to be fielded as veteran devastator, tactical and assault squads (jump packs for the latter), devs count as twin-linked, tacticals get to pre-measure their shots.
- Special rule allowing any DA player to hit anyone that says "DA should be shoved into C: SM" with a large blunt object :P

Bunnahabhain
22-03-2010, 19:28
- Special rule allowing any DA player to hit anyone that says "DA should be shoved into C: SM" with a large blunt object :P

OK then, Codex:SM should be shoved into Codex: DA.

Any objections to this, or do people wish to provide more ammo for the "All DA players are whiney so-and-so's who wouldn't shut up about their codex which is only a few years old, unlike ours" camp?

Combining the books means no chapter gets left behind. That must be a good thing, right?

Lord Malorne
22-03-2010, 19:38
Nope, stop being childish.

Chaos Undecided
22-03-2010, 19:39
Definitely should get some of their own toys to represent their first chapter status. Possibly gear the list more towards shooting than the combat heavy Wolves and Blood Angels? Extra heavy weapons in the tactical squad sounds a good one. Maybe the chapter could still have access to suspensor technology giving them relentless devastators or possibly more plasma based weaponry - plasma warhead load outs on Whirlwinds perhaps.

MetalGecko23
22-03-2010, 19:43
Combining the books means no chapter gets left behind. That must be a good thing, right?
Shoosh.......thats a smart idea.....nobody likes those......:angel:

Nope, stop being childish.
Exactly.

Mánagarmr
22-03-2010, 19:55
Shoosh.......thats a smart idea.....nobody likes those......:angel:

Exactly.

Yeah.. killing a huge part of GW's income sounds like a brilliant idea..

I swear; people are so blinded by their own desires they can't grasp sound business ideals.

"I WANT MY BEWKZ SOONER WAI MUST I COMPEET WIF SO MENY MUHREENZ DEY IZ ALL TEH SAEM ENYWAYZ WAAAAH."

MetalGecko23
22-03-2010, 20:02
"I WANT MY BEWKZ SOONER WAI MUST I COMPEET WIF SO MENY MUHREENZ DEY IZ ALL TEH SAEM ENYWAYZ WAAAAH."
They are....so settle down.

All I want is a massive 300 page tome that contains all of the 1st founding chapters with rules, fluff, how to paint guide, and heraldry diagrams. It would rival the Core book in size and scope and would cover EVERYTHING on space marines (excepting no substitutions). All the while avoiding codex creep.

No....actually all I want is this...

:rolleyes:

Mánagarmr
22-03-2010, 20:06
They are....so settle down.

No. They're not.

All I want is a massive 300 page tome that contains all of the 1st founding chapters with rules, fluff, how to paint guide, and heraldry diagrams. It would rival the Core book in size and scope and would cover EVERYTHING on space marines (excepting no substitutions). All the while avoiding codex creep.

Such a book would cost more to produce; again - losing them the easy money that is the current marine situation. You're just not grasping it; they're a business.

No....actually all I want is this...

:rolleyes:

Glad we can agree.

Devastator
22-03-2010, 20:11
slow and purposefull devastators?

MetalGecko23
22-03-2010, 20:11
Such a book would cost more to produce; again - losing them the easy money that is the current marine situation. You're just not grasping it; they're a business.
They don't make their money on codex sales. You only buy one...its the models...guy.

Mánagarmr
22-03-2010, 20:15
They don't make their money on codex sales. You only buy one...its the models...guy.

Ugh, I feel like I'm arguing with a wall here.

Of course it's the models you chob; but codex production isn't free. Like I said - it would be a money loss, in addition to the funds lost by merging all Marine dexes.

If you really can't grasp why this would harm the hobby, then I don't 'reckon any amount of talking to you will help.

There seems to be more of these parrots about lately; repeating this textual vomit.

MetalGecko23
22-03-2010, 20:19
Ugh, I feel like I'm arguing with a wall here.

Of course it's the models you chob; but codex production isn't free. Like I said - it would be a money loss, in addition to the funds lost by merging all Marine dexes.

If you really can't grasp why this would harm the hobby, then I don't 'reckon any amount of talking to you will help.

There seems to be more of these parrots about lately; repeating this textual vomit.
Lol....another person who doesn't know how to have a discussion and can only insult other people.

Mánagarmr
22-03-2010, 20:23
Lol....another person who doesn't know how to have a discussion and can only insult other people.

At least I step right up and openly express my distaste for stupidity opposed to using snide insults and spamming emoticons.

MetalGecko23
22-03-2010, 20:27
At least I step right up and openly express my distaste for stupidity opposed to using snide insults and spamming emoticons.
I have done no such thing. Your just making an enemy out of nothing.

Bouncl
22-03-2010, 20:34
In terms of codex- I'm not sure I'd like a new one. Partly because they're a codex chapter. But mostly because off the fluff. I mean, well. Have you guys seen the Space Wolves codex? I'd like Dark Angels, and I don't want them to turn into Dark Marines with Darkswords riding Dark Lions with Dark Armor of Darkness. :cries:

Starchild
22-03-2010, 20:55
I think the Dark Angels are having an identity crisis because their current book is based on J. Johnson's minimalist approach.

Let's look at how Mat Ward made the Blood Angels unique:
-wargear (hand flamers, inferno pistols, death masks, blood talons, etc.)
-psychic powers (too lazy to look them up... :evilgrin:)
-vehicles (stormraven, most other vehicles are Fast)
-special rules (swap furious charge & fearless for ATSKNF on the roll of a 1)

Right, so in making the Dark Angels unique, GW will probably:
-include DA-specific wargear (the Sacred Standards come to mind...);
-expand the list of psychic powers, with DA-specific powers that no other chapters can use;
-include a DA-specific vehicle (Mortis Dreadnought? Land Speeder Tempest w/ plasma cannon & typhoon launcher?) and/or include DA-specific vehicle upgrades;
-introduce an army-wide special rule, most likely stubborn but it could be something else

So that's it! Add in Deathwing & Ravenwing, update the points costs and stats, and GW has another SM army to sell that's *different* enough to justify it's own book & models. :skull:

Too, the Deathwing could use their own plastic kit, while the characters need to be updated. So there's plenty of scope for another round of DAs. They're not just vanilla SMs with a gothic twist-- they can be distinct in their own (however small) ways.

HK-47
22-03-2010, 21:02
Cyphr is too cool of a character not to have special rules, he should be made into a character similar to the one in the space marine codex who change the war gear options and special roles of the armies they are used in, similar to Vulkan and Pedro Kantor.

Ulrig
22-03-2010, 21:10
an update

seriously there are 50 of these post or types similar a week.
wish-listing should have its own forum.

MetalGecko23
22-03-2010, 21:15
an update
Not enough wish in that...how about good rules..

wish-listing should have its own forum.
Probably should.

Wyrmwood
22-03-2010, 23:01
Producing such a book, a combination of all current Marine codices and expansions detailing the other First Founding Chapters / other Chapters of sufficient divergency and fluff etc etc, would be so expensive for someone who just wants to play *one* Chapter and couldn't give a damn about all of the others - the hobby is expensive enough anyway, why make it more expensive?

Lord Malorne
22-03-2010, 23:54
Exactly, that and many other reasons, though many members can't resist kicking a dead horse.

Bunnahabhain
23-03-2010, 00:07
Which side has the dead horse? Both have valid reasons to hold their views, and both should better by now....

Lord Malorne
23-03-2010, 00:10
I think you will find it is the pro one book people who always bring it up.

OT: Nothing much, as I don't collect or have any interest in DA's.

MajorWesJanson
23-03-2010, 01:29
Personally, I despise the DA because of their actions. That said, they have decent fluff, and have potential to be a unique chapter, even within Codex.

What I would do:

Army-wide rules:
ATSKNF
Combat Tactics
Stubborn

HQ:
Chapter Master (Rites of battle and bombardment)
Inner Circle (Same as Honor Guard)
Company Master (On Bike, bikers are troops)
Command Squad (Can take Terminator Armor if Captain has it)
Librarian
Interrogator Chaplain

Azrael: WS6 BS6 I 6 4 Wound Chapter Master. Artificer Armor Lion Helm grants 3+ Invuln and Eternal Warrior to him, Lion's Wrath combi-plasma does not get hot, Sword of Secrets Master Crafted Relic blade that forces Invul reroll.

Asmodai:

Belial: Teleport Homer, combi-plasma that doesn't get hot, Master crafted relic blade. Iron Halo. Deathwing are troops.

Sammael: Jetbike or Land Speeder, Bikers are troops, Landspeeders can squad up to 5.

Ezekiel: 36" range psychic helm, special Lib powers

Successor Chapter Master

Elites:
Deathwing squad: 5-10. Terminator armor, Right hand can take storm bolter, combi weapon, lightning claw, thunder hammer. Left hand can take Storm shield, power fist, power sword, or lightning claw. 1 HW per 5
Can take Land Raider or Crusader as dedicated.

Dreadnought: DCCW Assault cannon as standard. Can replace Assault cannon with Multimelta, HBolter, HFlamer, TLLC, TLAC, Plasma cannon, Missiles. Can give DCCW H flamer, Melta, or replace with TLLC, TLAC, Missiles. Can upgrade to Venerable

Chaplain: 1-3 Independent models.

Techmarine: Fortify ability, can take Servitor squad

Devastators 5-10 can combat squad
Special Character (successor chapter, grant relentless to squad [or half squad if combat squadded])

Remove Company Veterans

Troops:
Tactical squad: 5-10. Sergeant has options for combi weapons, teleport homers and sternguard ammo. 1 Specialist per 5 models. Specialist can take special or heavy weapon, can take power weapon and combat shield, or can take Sternguard ammo.

Scouts: 5-10 WS3 BS3, can take camo cloaks to grant stealth sergeants can take teleport homers
Naaman: Upgrade for Sergeant- grants Scout rule, and makes squad [combat squad] he is with WS4 BS4

Fast Attack:
Ravenwing Bike Squad: 3-8 can take attack bike. Sarge can take teleport homer. Can take power weapons as special weapons. up to 3 special weapons. Attack bike can take plasma cannon

Ravenwing Attack Squad 1-4, can combat squad into 2 pairs. Attack Bike can take plasma cannon.

Ravenwing Speeder squad: 1-3. Can take plasma cannon as underslung mount.

Assault Marines: Vanilla

Heavy Support:
Stormraven: Same as BA one

Land Raider/Crusader: Transport of 10/16

Land Raider Ares: No transport, cheaper

Predator: can have Plasma cannon main gun

Vindicator: Vanilla

Whirlwind: Vanilla

Dedicated Transports:
Rhino: Vanilla

Razorback: Vanilla

Drop Pod:Vanilla

Balerion
23-03-2010, 05:01
Which side has the dead horse? Both have valid reasons to hold their views, and both should better by now....
You have valid reasons for wanting a catchall SM codex in the same way that I have valid reasons for wanting a panacea that I can drink to cure any ailment conceivable. It's a pipe dream, not an argument with any sort of practicable basis in reality.

Firmlog
23-03-2010, 05:09
I'd like to see them just give the DA a gear update to bring them up to the current SM. I can't justify fluff wise, why a chapter which has special formations of certain units can't have comparable gear/vehicles to other chapters.

In a codex, a fallen list would be nice.
2 heavy weapons in a termy squad regardless of size.