PDA

View Full Version : Tau Na'vi Auxiliaries? Good or bad idea?

The Overmind
22-03-2010, 07:46
I just saw the movie Avatar, which is awesome by the way, if you haven't seen it get out there now and watch it. About halfway through the movie an idea struck me.

What if I made units of Na'vi auxiliaries for my Tau army, counting as Kroot? Anyone else think this is a good/funny idea? Any modelling tips on how I could get the body/facial structure?

Cheers.

SandQueen
22-03-2010, 07:51
Terrible idea from a terrible movie. If you fielded those I would pray that it was against some jacked IG player who would then proceed to immolate every model in your army in the exact way that the film SHOULD HAVE GONE.

akinokurisu
22-03-2010, 07:57
Terrible idea from a terrible movie. If you fielded those I would pray that it was against some jacked IG player who would then proceed to immolate every model in your army in the exact way that the film SHOULD HAVE GONE.

How do you REALLY feel?

Wrath
22-03-2010, 08:11
I hate to just strait shoot peoples ideas down, but yea that is a bad one. =]

How do you REALLY feel?

lol

Hellebore
22-03-2010, 08:14
You mean like space elves/vulcans or space orks?

I say go for it. I wrote up some Na'vi rules in another thread somewhere. Their bows are nasty (although slow shooting).

There are people who make star wars 40k armies, this is hardly worse. Except of course if you don't like the film.

Hellebore

neko
22-03-2010, 08:14
I just wouldn't be happy seeing the Navi in 40k unless it involved all the flora and fauna also trying to eat the opponent...

Scythe
22-03-2010, 08:15
Sure, why not? Tau ally with multiple races, and one of them could easily look like somthing resembling a na'vi. The Kroot rules kind of approach a possible statline and special rules the na'vi would have. Of course, there are slight scaling issues... do you intend to make the na'vi man-sized?

Not much advice for sculpting for you though...

And remember: it is your game, and your models. You can do just what you want with those.

fisher368
22-03-2010, 08:23
um hmm

could be a good idea

for the flying Navi use the lizard men flyers from fantasy
acctually the navi models could come directly from fantasy

or GW could just buy the rights to the Avatar minigame and make it into a game in its own right

Tourniquet
22-03-2010, 08:26
if you like the idea, do it.
if you dont, then don't

that simple
who cares what people think?

Zoring
22-03-2010, 09:33
Well SandQueen, you have the knowledge that when the soldiers and scientists come back from Pandora, they will say 'We were trying to work with the natives for 3 years, then they butchered our soldiers and our researchers' to which the government will go 'hmm' and send the entire Earth Fleet/Army/Whatever and obliterate the blue bastards from space.

The Overmind
22-03-2010, 10:01
Sure, why not? Tau ally with multiple races, and one of them could easily look like somthing resembling a na'vi. The Kroot rules kind of approach a possible statline and special rules the na'vi would have. Of course, there are slight scaling issues... do you intend to make the na'vi man-sized?

Not much advice for sculpting for you though...

And remember: it is your game, and your models. You can do just what you want with those.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I didn't mean a literal na'vi units, sorry if it came across that way, it was a rushed post. I merely meant something that resembled them. I wouldn't actually call them "Na'vi" from "Pandora" - they live in two completely different realities. I merely wondered if the current Kroot statline could represent them well and if anyone had modelling ideas. A similar idea i had was modelling some Demiurg inspired by the Grunts from the Halo series.

And i would be willing to make them man-sized if it would make them easier to model, as i only what Na'vi INSPIRED troops.

SandQueen
22-03-2010, 10:07
Well SandQueen, you have the knowledge that when the soldiers and scientists come back from Pandora, they will say 'We were trying to work with the natives for 3 years, then they butchered our soldiers and our researchers' to which the government will go 'hmm' and send the entire Earth Fleet/Army/Whatever and obliterate the blue bastards from space.

Yes, I do.

I kept hoping that after the credits it would say 3 years later and then show Pandora in flames and ships in orbit. Would have been spectacular.

Instead we got Pochahontas in space.

Can you paint with all the colors of an expensive computer?:shifty:

neko
22-03-2010, 12:05
IIRC they are planning a sequel. Maybe this will the rematch when Earth send a new battleforce? No doubt what's his name (Sully?) will know the military well enough to be expecting this, and will have been teaching the whole planet how to prepare for war.

Then again, it was invasion by corporations. If they decide that a full on battlegroup would be too expensive compared to the resources to be gained, or even just that there's easier money to be made elsewhere, that would be enough reason for no follow-up war.

ehlijen
22-03-2010, 12:23
It's not pocahontas in space. It's the story of a guy who starts playing a mmorpoger, looses track of reality and dies when he finally violently rejects his real life. The end.

Plus, their story won't be 'the natives butchered us' it'll be 'the natives fought off our attempt to butcher them'. The movie mentions propaganda problems about the whole thing back home.

To get back on topic (which is not our likes or dislikes about movies):
What role do you seem them play in the army? Frankly, I'm not sure they'd be too different from kroot and would thus be hesitant towards giving them any rules of their own.
Kroot are:
Very strong for what they are (potential tank punching strong!)
They're very fast in forests
They're good at hiding in forests
They have a variety of beasts they use/ride in combat
They're basically naked

Sounds a lot like Naa'vi, doesn't it? At dino riding flyers maybe, but otherwise, there's no need to make new rules. Just make the models and call them Kroo'vi and go.

SanguinaryDan
22-03-2010, 13:32
Enjoyed the 3D. Hated the movie. Loved the orbital bombardment sequel that flashed thru my head within moments of the credits starting to run.:evilgrin:

I agree with Ehlijen that Kroot fit the bill quite nicely. As long as you use the larger critters from FW anyway. So see how they look with Wood Elf heads on Kroot bodies and away you go.

Spider-pope
22-03-2010, 13:38
Glad to see that i'm not the only one who thinks the sequel should be titled 'Avatar II: Exterminatus'.

But in regards to the army idea,do whatever you want it's your army. And dont forget to post pictures on Warseer if you manage to pull off something spectacular looking.

Firaxin
22-03-2010, 13:39
The problem with modeling the Nav'i (if you can get over the fluff travesty such a cross-over would create) is that they're huge. Probably the same size as a Battlesuit. And if you want cavalry or flying Nav'i they'll be Leman Russ or Thunderhawk sized, respectively, maybe larger.

Gimp
22-03-2010, 13:42
Although I hated the film and its fan base. Remember it your models and your game. Do what you want as long as it does not break the rules.

Fixer
22-03-2010, 13:47
It's funnier if you think of Pandora in 40K Universe terms.

At some time in the Imperium's past they exterminated the Na'vi and now human settlers struggle on against a vicious eco-system that wants to kill them.

They call it Catachan.

Panzerkanzler
22-03-2010, 13:50
I loved the movie. But I concur with what someone a few posts above mine mentioned, they are probably too big to include in 40k. Especially if you plan to include their mounts or any other animals as counts as stuff. It's easier to just continue using kroot. You could always just paint them blue ;)

*edit*
Gimp, sorry to see you hate me. Just so you know, I still like you! Want a hug? =)

Nurglitch_PS
22-03-2010, 13:57
Ah, seen that movie. It's a bit touching really. It portrays a noble, strong race, full of high aspirations, talent and ideas.

Oh, and there are some blue savages with USB-hair who yiff with trees.

Sir_Turalyon
22-03-2010, 14:06
Given that Tau themselves are abominable xenos borrowed from other settings (anime) and shoehorned into 40k, at least you'll port Na'vi into right place. Don't forget do add Captain Jack Sparrow and Agent Smith, too - it wil be even awsomer.

Godzooky
22-03-2010, 14:12
IIRC they are planning a sequel. Maybe this will the rematch when Earth send a new battleforce? No doubt what's his name (Sully?) will know the military well enough to be expecting this, and will have been teaching the whole planet how to prepare for war.

Then again, it was invasion by corporations. If they decide that a full on battlegroup would be too expensive compared to the resources to be gained, or even just that there's easier money to be made elsewhere, that would be enough reason for no follow-up war.

The only way I'd watch a sequel is if a Predator hunting party went to claim a few skulls on Pandora.

Hrw-Amen
22-03-2010, 14:23
I thought the film was OK, nothing spectaculer, just fun to watch for a couple of hours.

Anyway, yes it is your army so do what you like.

However there is the problem of scale. For the models, it may be worth looking to see if there are any companies out there who produce 54mm native american indians or something like that. I'd imagine that they would be about the right size, (Perhaps slightly bigger than Na'vi but a better size than Kroot.) and you could paint them blue.

The other thing i thought of, but they are probably too small; don't FW do some Tau from air cast? Tau are blue anyway and the air cast ones are not all bulked out with armour.

I think I'd still look for slightly bigger scale native Indians though or something similar, maybe celts? I have some 1/72nd celts that litterally just have a loin cloth. Obviously they would be way too small, but a similar thing in a larger scale is a possibility?

As you said though, I'd steer clear of calling them Na'vi.

How about from a fluff perspective, you could, (As they are blue.) go down some line of them being a sub race of Tau who have lived several generations on a distant planet just rediscovered by the Tau empire. Primative but over the centuries the bodies have adapted to the climate they find themselves in by becoming taller? Not sure how they would have got there though, maybe abducted by some aliens when Tau them selves were primative, in order to be used as slaves. Then subsequently the aliens left or died out etc, leaving then behind.

x-esiv-4c
22-03-2010, 14:24
I have nothing more to add then what Sandqueen has already written.

azimaith
22-03-2010, 14:35
You sure could. You could replicate their giant bows as S4 Ap6 guns that can rapid fire, and give them stealth abilities in forests or jungles and make it so they don't have to take difficult terrain tests in them. Then you could add in infiltrate and make their bow give two attacks since they use it as weapons.

There's totally nothing like that already in the Tau codex right?

(Sarcasm-Duh)

Lord Malorne
22-03-2010, 14:40
Liked the film, don't like the idea.

Tarquinn
22-03-2010, 14:46
Terrible idea from a terrible movie. Quoting this.

But ultimatively it is your army. Better ask the people you are playing with and not the internet.

gitburna
22-03-2010, 14:52
Tau Na'vi auxiliaries.

That sounds like something the Earth Caste might use...

(linky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navvy) for those who don't get the joke...) :rolleyes:

Reimu
22-03-2010, 15:53
Hell, why not?

Isn't the joke that every sci-fi setting resides within 40k anyway? The movie 'Alien'? An ancient, parasitic protoNid. 'Terminator'? SkyNet found the Necron technology ON EARTH (DUN DUN DUN). It's a matter of continuing the tongue-in-cheek theme.

castellanash
22-03-2010, 15:58
think the Na'Vi idea is kinda cool, i'd like to see what these come out like if you do them

sliganian
22-03-2010, 16:05
For real 'hard-core' effect make sure you use the flying dragon thingys with a pull-string that shouts out 'KiiiiiyyREEEEEEEE!' everytime you pull it.

And no naked blue models in a grove of glowy trees. That would be just wrong. :D

Mannimarco
22-03-2010, 16:22
Hell yeah! universe crossovers!

coming soon to a table near you: I just watched predator and thought they were pretty cool, wouldnt it be sweet if I got to use these inap models (look them up) as allies

MetalGecko23
22-03-2010, 16:24
The only way I'd watch a sequel is if a Predator hunting party went to claim a few skulls on Pandora.
Win!

I thought the film was OK, nothing spectaculer, just fun to watch for a couple of hours.
An thats all the movie was, it just fun. If you think you have seen a sci-fi movie with a better plot or dialogue your lying to yourself. All sci-fi movies are bad, but fun.

Na'vi in 40k? Thats exactly what the Kroot are. Look at Pandora and read about Pech (what little there is) there the same.

sliganian
22-03-2010, 16:31
In support of the OP, I don't think his idea is any better or worse than my idea (never came to pass) of trying to do a 'DUNE' IG (Fremen) army.

I figured the Chimeras would be modelled as a Worm emerging from a sandbase and the models would be in some sort of howdah on top. I also couldn't really find a good fit in the IG HQ to represent Muab-Dib.

tuebor
22-03-2010, 17:15
I say do it, if for no other reason than to annoy the people who take sci-fi action movies too seriously.

Skyros
22-03-2010, 17:29
The Na'vi? Why would you use such a stale, one dimensional, cardboard cut out race?

Or if you want to use them, why not use normal Native Americans? The Nav'i were a straight ripoff of all of the worst stereotypes of Native Americans, just with blue skin. They kill animals, but it's ok, because they say they are sorry afterwards! They can't possibly fight the evil Europeans unless they're being led by a European! And so on.

That said, the Kroot are basically Native Americans anyway so not much of a jump from them to Navi.

And hey, any battle involving Navi as kroot will end far more realistically than the movie did :D

Nurglitch_PS
22-03-2010, 17:42
That said, the Kroot are basically Native Americans anyway so not much of a jump from them to Navi.

Nope. The Deathwing are :}

spetswalshe
22-03-2010, 18:20
God forbid the Tau get an Avatar rip-off. I mean, first anime, now this. You'd almost expect people to want a human-but-way-better-than-human Mary Sue army of Colonial Space Knights who're faster than Eldar, stronger than Orks, tougher than Necrons with the best weapons and armour in the galaxy despite, y'know, other species having been around longer and having more spacecash and stuff. They would also be able to do all the cool stuff like sniping and riding motorbikes and swordfighting and wearing jetpacks and driving tanks because it totally makes sense for special forces to do all that stuff. Let's also throw in some werewolf and vampire stuff in there too and whatever else is popular at the moment. They should play guitars too.

OH WAIT

Nothing we can do could possibly top the epic failures already written in as canon, so knock yourself out.

sliganian
22-03-2010, 19:38
God forbid the Tau get an Avatar rip-off. I mean, first anime, now this. You'd almost expect people to want a human-but-way-better-than-human Mary Sue army of Colonial Space Knights who're faster than Eldar, stronger than Orks, tougher than Necrons with the best weapons and armour in the galaxy despite, y'know, other species having been around longer and having more spacecash and stuff. They would also be able to do all the cool stuff like sniping and riding motorbikes and swordfighting and wearing jetpacks and driving tanks because it totally makes sense for special forces to do all that stuff. Let's also throw in some werewolf and vampire stuff in there too and whatever else is popular at the moment. They should play guitars too.

THAT'S IT! Necron Lord Ziggy and the Tomb Spiders of Mars?

I'll even make the Lord play it left-hand. :D

ehlijen
22-03-2010, 22:06
Honestly, their size shouldn't be an obstacle. Seeing as their not 'naa'vi' but rather 'blue kroot' it doesn't matter, especially in a universe where a guarsman is the same height as a fully armoured space marines...

Sure, taking direct inspiration from movies isn't seen as the top of the creativity food chain, but in some sense, we're all getting our ideas from some preestablished source (even if that source is the 40k background).

sabreu
22-03-2010, 22:15
Wait, aren't the navi like 8-9 feet tall? That's astartes height. I see no reason for an out of scale model being used.

ehlijen
22-03-2010, 22:17
Wait, aren't the navi like 8-9 feet tall? That's astartes height. I see no reason for an out of scale model being used.

Which on the table is apparently the same as about 6 feet for a guarsman...

sabreu
22-03-2010, 22:20
Which on the table is apparently the same as about 6 feet for a guarsman...

Exactly my point though! Where is the need for a different scale model?

Firmlog
22-03-2010, 22:24
actually I think the kroot are tall enough to be Navi. They move though terrain easily enough, the guns could be considered equivocal to the Ballista the Navi used in the movie. they are good in CC like the Navi, and wear no armor, like the kroot. I think it could work well.

There is also no reason not to have them live on a planet called Pandora, with the plethora of planets out there, and why not have the jungle terrain like Catachan. There are certainly deathworlds out there where the planets are as/more dangerous than the inhabitants.

If you could find a Catachan opponent it would be a nice storyline game. There are also rules that come up time to time, though I don't know if the current rule book has rules for dangerous fauna.

YAY, you could even have Unobtainium... excuse me I almost barfed.

And the the Pocahontas, yes the movie is Pocahontas in space, I read the Pocahontas synopsas with the names crossed out and Avatar names replacing them, exact same storyline... Now wheres that link?

Ozendorph
22-03-2010, 22:33
I'm not a fan, but if you dig the idea go for it. If we get the chance to play some day, I will smash your xenos with great gusto :)

Troah
22-03-2010, 23:46
I think it would be a great idea from a great movie...Plus Tau are always happy to include more into their empire that strives for the greater good.

SandQueen
23-03-2010, 00:05
I figured the Chimeras would be modelled as a Worm emerging from a sandbase and the models would be in some sort of howdah on top. I also couldn't really find a good fit in the IG HQ to represent Muab-Dib.

Go with the Psyker guy or take an allied Inquisitor with some snazzy powers and for the IG HQ have it be someone like Gurney

edit:

I'd be totally cool with a Dune army because Dune is actually GOOD.

ehlijen
23-03-2010, 02:01
Go with the Psyker guy or take an allied Inquisitor with some snazzy powers and for the IG HQ have it be someone like Gurney

edit:

I'd be totally cool with a Dune army because Dune is actually GOOD.

So everyone should conform and suit their modelling/painting desires to your opinions? I want to paint my space marine blue, do you approve? Is Calgar in Avatarland good enough for you? :p

Most people I talk to don't consider the 40k background to be that good or well thought out or original. Avatar was at least on par with a goodly chunk of 40k fiction (codex, White dwarf, black library...). Condemning it because it doesn't meet your personal standards while still playing the game is a tad hypocritic. Which is fine, as you long as you admit it (I'm hypocritic in many things too!).

Loki73
23-03-2010, 02:22
I didnt realize Avatar was at +10 to generate nerd rage lol.

SandQueen
23-03-2010, 02:59
So everyone should conform and suit their modelling/painting desires to your opinions? I want to paint my space marine blue, do you approve? Is Calgar in Avatarland good enough for you? :p

Most people I talk to don't consider the 40k background to be that good or well thought out or original. Avatar was at least on par with a goodly chunk of 40k fiction (codex, White dwarf, black library...). Condemning it because it doesn't meet your personal standards while still playing the game is a tad hypocritic. Which is fine, as you long as you admit it (I'm hypocritic in many things too!).

The point I was trying to make is that Dune lends itself much, much better to 40k than Avatar. I doubt that even the Tau would be able to convince the Navi to join them. The Tau are, after all, a people of industry and empire (a small empire but an empire all the same). The nature loving aspect of the Navi might not fit well with the ever expanding Tau empire. Kroot fight for foot, Vespids fight for tech, Nicassar fight for curiousity, and Demiurg fight for money. The Navi ask for little from outside races (that was clear with how well education and medicine went over with them in the movie) and I doubt something like Space Travel and fighting for another race would sit well them.

PrimeMinisterDavidCameron
23-03-2010, 03:45
Na'vi in 40k? Wow. (this is a no btw)

I thought this was a thread about bringing the human auxiliaries back to 40k. Which they really really should in my opinion.

ehlijen
23-03-2010, 05:55
The point I was trying to make is that Dune lends itself much, much better to 40k than Avatar. I doubt that even the Tau would be able to convince the Navi to join them. The Tau are, after all, a people of industry and empire (a small empire but an empire all the same). The nature loving aspect of the Navi might not fit well with the ever expanding Tau empire. Kroot fight for foot, Vespids fight for tech, Nicassar fight for curiousity, and Demiurg fight for money. The Navi ask for little from outside races (that was clear with how well education and medicine went over with them in the movie) and I doubt something like Space Travel and fighting for another race would sit well them.

So made up histories for made up people are meant to stop real people from painting and converting their real toys in a specific way that they happen to like?

SandQueen
23-03-2010, 05:56
So made up histories for made up people are meant to stop real people from painting and converting their real toys in a specific way that they happen to like?

Yes....:evilgrin:

sabreu
23-03-2010, 06:30
The point I was trying to make is that Dune lends itself much, much better to 40k than Avatar.

Eh, sure. Your idea sucks just as much, or better. :p

EldritchRaider
23-03-2010, 06:31
Terrible idea from a terrible movie.
So true.
Awful movie.
Awful creatures.
*whispers* no

Scythe
23-03-2010, 08:36
The point I was trying to make is that Dune lends itself much, much better to 40k than Avatar. I doubt that even the Tau would be able to convince the Navi to join them.

Didn't you get the memo? The Tau just mind-control those weak races with no intention of joining them, like the Vespid. It's all for the greater good. :evilgrin:

Born Again
23-03-2010, 09:40

Thank the Emperor I'm not the only one who thinks so. I refuse to see this movie because all the previews, reviews, and things I've been told about it utterly repulse me from the notion of paying money to waste a couple of hours of my time on it. Gah... I can't stand badly put together sci-fi (in before 40k joke, this is something else all together). So just... no. Please no Avatar in 40k. Technically I can't do anything to stop you, but the knowledge someone was would make me very sad. Show some humanity.

Yes, I do.

I kept hoping that after the credits it would say 3 years later and then show Pandora in flames and ships in orbit. Would have been spectacular.

Instead we got Pochahontas in space.

And never mind that the lead character bears an uncanny resemblance to Locke from Lost: paraplegic, goes to some crazy jungle, and gets to walk again and become and important leader and figurehead amongst his people.

Lothlanathorian
23-03-2010, 10:31
Frank Herbert totally ripped 40K off when he wrote that Dune movie. I can't believe they never sued him.

Avatar was ok. The visuals were awesome-o-powah, but the plot itself was Pocahontas meets MMOFPS.

Panzerkanzler
23-03-2010, 11:10
Frank Herbert totally ripped 40K off when he wrote that Dune movie. I can't believe they never sued him.

You had better be joking! If not, you're more ignorant than I thought possible ;)

*edit*
The Dune universe is made of over a dozen different flavours of awesomeness. At least Franks version of it, I'm currently reading children of dune so I haven't had the chance to judge his sons ability as writer.

ehlijen
23-03-2010, 13:45
Yes....:evilgrin:

Then honestly, I'm glad we'll never meet.

sliganian
23-03-2010, 15:27
Eh, sure. Your idea sucks just as much, or better. :p

Hey, the Dune thing was MY idea, not SandQueen's. Get the target of "your ideas suck' attacks straight there, sonny. :D

sliganian
23-03-2010, 15:31
*edit*
The Dune universe is made of over a dozen different flavours of awesomeness. At least Franks version of it, I'm currently reading children of dune so I haven't had the chance to judge his sons ability as writer.

OT:
Agree totally. I read DUNE when I was 16. Took me a month to carefully get through it. I read the next 6 books in ONE month. I have re-read books 1-6 several times over the last [INFO UNAVAILABLE] years.

EDIT: I've been told to flee far and fast from anything Herbert's son has written. So far I've done that and retained happy thoughts about the series/universe.

For what it is worth, I really wished that the Sisters of Battle had some sort of more overt Bene Gesserit aspects than the current incarnation. Unfortunately, the closest match to the Bene Gesserit existed in the last version of the WHFB Vampire Counts (Lahamians).

Partisan Rimmo
23-03-2010, 16:27
Well, on the one hand....

Yes, it's exactly the sort of thing the Tau would do.

But on the other....

Plundering an intellectual property that's currently in fashion can earn you a lot of people's ire. It's seen as 'common'...

Have you ever just considered blue Kroot?

Godzooky
23-03-2010, 17:51
Have you ever just considered blue Kroot?

Bloot?

Height-wise Tomb Kings Ushabti would be closer to the Na'vi than Spess Mehrens, surely?

MegaPope
23-03-2010, 21:49
I say go for it. Speaking personally, I'd be more than happy to see Na'vi-alikes on the table facing me...mostly because I would get to take so much pleasure blowing them away, which was pretty much what I wanted to happen to them while sitting through the film :D.

TBH an Avatar/40K crossover would be hilarious if rather brief, given the Imperial attitude to alien species, especially primitive ones ;). No amount of plot armour is protection enough from massed orbital bombardment.

An important note here - SFX do not a good film make. This is why skilled writers are far, far more important to the film industry than anyone, especially the film industry, is prepared to admit...

Earthbeard
23-03-2010, 23:28
If you can make them look good I'm all for it.

Sadly most who chose to go a "movie/video game etc" route don't do this, most never get past the first 3 guys.

As for the DUNE army, head on over to DakkaDakka, a guys already done it, and they look good.

Logarithm Udgaur
24-03-2010, 01:19
I didnt realize Avatar was at +10 to generate nerd rage lol.
I am sure the OP did.

Edit: For the number of people who say the movie sucks in this thread, it is sadly unsurprising that most of you bothered to waste your time/money on it.

NagashTheSorcerer
24-03-2010, 03:08
It's your money and your models so just make whatever will make you happy. The 40k community is seems to be dividing itself over this movie, with half of them thinking it was the greatest thing to grace the silver screen and the other half wanting desperately to burn it with fire. Honestly, I loved the movie for what it was: a mindless action romp full of tasty eye candy. The vaguely eco-centric, anti-imperialist themes did not really bother me, as I expected as much from Hollywood, just like I expected the story to be a Frankenstein of a script pieced together from films of ages past (Dances With Wolves, Pocahontas, Fern Gully, and the Last Samurai; to name a few). I suffer no delusions about it being a "masterpiece" (a visual masterpiece, sure, but with a story that could have been written by a 10 year old from the '90's that saw too many episodes of Captain Planet). That doesn't make the movie "bad" by any means; like I said, I loved it, and I will probably get it when it comes out on DVD. It was an awesome film, but the story wasn't terribly original. But I digress...........

If you want to make Na'vi auxiliaries, go for it. That movie is chock full of inspiration for 40k. Personally, I would like to see some Imperial Guard conversions based on the Marines from that film (the Samson 'copters and the AMP suits would be excellent idea's for converting Valkyries and Sentinels, respectively). When I first saw the movie, my first thought of the Na'vi was that they were Eldar Exodites, complete with a world spirit (Eywa). Appearance wise, though, they definitely look more like Tau, and I can think of many ways Tau units could be converted to represent the Na'vi. The Kroot would be excellent for representing the Na'vi, and I can see the Na'vi being integrated into the Tau Empire. You could do a whole army of Na'vi, or just make them another race of aliens in the Empire. Ultimately, that's your call. And if anyone gives you crap about it, ask them why they made their Tyranids look like Xenomorphs, or why they modeled their Necrons like Terminators.:p