PDA

View Full Version : Parting with Armies. Why ?

SPYDER68
22-03-2010, 15:34
Ive done my fair share of army swapping in the last 9 years..
Sold armies
------------
Eldar
Blood angels
Space wolves
Tyranids
Necrons
Tau
Orks

Current Armies
--------------
Imperial Guard
Blood angels (started them again 8-9 months ago)
Tyranids again

After this weekend it seems im going to part with my IG army (Fully painted even)

Probly going to play in 1 more tourney with them due to nids arent ready this weekend..

Why ?

They are to easy to play, i started IG before i knew of the new codex, for an army to have a challenge with and still won most games with the old IG.

Now with new Book.. its complete easymode.

1: Friends dont like playing against the army
2: People at tourneys dont like playing against the army
3: I dont like using the army because of the others.

For example..i played 1750 IG vs 1750 Chaos.. Plague marines + Zerkers Standard chaos army.

Needless to say, i won the game rather easily.. and all i lost was 1 chimera..

Which ive had many games like this at tourneys.. Ive had opponets the entire game only get 1 weapon destroyed..

Time limit on games of 2.5 hours.. and games get over an hour early and get to set there and just wait while everyone else finishes.

This is standard list i run.. 1750 with 35 ish points to play with.

Command squad + Chimera + Las cannon

vet squad 1: chimera + Las cannon + 3x Melta
vet squad 2: Chimera + Las cannon + 3x Melta
Vet squad 3: Chimera + Las cannon + 3x Plasma
Vet squad 4: Chimera + Las cannon + 3x Plasma

2x Vendetta
1x Valk with Pods

1x Leman russ Battle tank
1x leman russ Battle Tank
1x Manticore

This for me is an easy enough decision to get rid of them..

Now..

Why have you.. if ever.. got rid of an army in the past.. or looking to get rid of one.

Simo429
22-03-2010, 15:50
I parted with my black templars because I didnt really want them in the first place

I started the hobby about 2 years ago and wanted to start with wolves or grey knights because they were the first books id read.

on talking to some people in my store i was told that grey knights werent a beginers army and wolves were being updated as we speak so on having a look on the internet i came across a fairly large poorly painted black templars army for cheap and i grabbed it

i touched up the painting to the best of my ability and learned to play with them but never really enjoyed it that much

since the new wolves dex came out ive been working hard improving my painting and enjoying my playing with an army i really love and it shows in my models and my results on the battlefield

castellanash
22-03-2010, 16:03
go rid of my marines 4 times, i jsut get bored of them. looking to get rid of my Orks cos i'm fed up of moving over 100 boyz every turn. in the process of sellign my guard cos people hate playing them which means i hardly ever get a game.

ArmyC
22-03-2010, 16:10
I am selling necrons. I had Blood Angels, but sold them because at that time I really wasn't playing the game. Now I have Imperial Fists, and Eldar. I also have a ton of Tau still in unopened boxes.

Oh, and I sold a ton of German and American FoW recently because I dropped the game in favor of 40k.

I have a ton of Warmachine Protectorate and Legion that I will sell if the prices ever go up on ebay.

sigur
22-03-2010, 16:20
Selling armies never is a good idea; I don't get why people would do it unless they really need the money. If they know they won't be interested in an army after some time, why do they get it in the first place? This may sound weird in the context of society today but I think if you start an army you commit to it.

I sold a smallish army once because I figured I had too many 40k armies (4) anyway. Never really regretted it but I don't see how people buy and sell armies constantly. I mean, simply painting up your 2000something points of stuff takes years. People really shouldn't get armies in one go but build them up gradually.

djinn8
22-03-2010, 16:22
No wonder you're bored with your IG and the codex's "easy mode". Why don't you try mixing your list up a bit instead of running a cookie cutter mech list.

Vepr
22-03-2010, 16:25
I have been thinking of selling my swarm nids lately. Hordes make the game take forever even at lower point games and I don't know that I like the feel of the army anymore with the new dex. My problem is I am not drawn to play any other army so if I sell my nids I am likely taking a break from the game.

Revelations
22-03-2010, 16:30
I initially played Chaos from 2nd Ed. I stop playing them for a change of scene and went to Necrons. I quickly realized while I liked the concept of Necrons, there was no change from game to game and it was a one trick pony. So I went back to Chaos. Then the 4the Ed book came out and I stopped playing Chaos. I went to Nids next and had some fun with them for a while and then the 5th Ed book came out.

Now I bounce back and forth between what doesn't **** me off the most and my friends armies, which include Eldar, Marines, Orks, etc. Everytime I pick up an Imperial army I just feel dumb. Who wants to play the humans in a fantasy game?

I don't mind playing IG armies at all. The only thing that bugs me in my opponents (at least rules wise) are the Eldar Runes. I want their Codex to be updated just so that thing is toned down.

GrogDaTyrant
22-03-2010, 16:44
I got rid of an Ork Goff army that took me about a year and a half to complete. I started it back with the 3rd/4th ed Ork Clans artcile, and built it up to be a footslogging CC focused list. I ran 2 units of 20 Skarboyz, a unit of 20 Slugga/Choppa boyz, a Warboss, 10 Tankbustas, 30 Grots, 6 Kanz, and a Painboss with 9 Cyborks, for 1750. My eventual plan for 1850 was to add in a Dread, but I never got to that point. It had a pretty cut n' dry record, and either lost big or pulled a moderate victory. But it was fun to play.

When the Ork codex was redone, the list suddenly dropped to 1k pts. Skarboyz no longer existed, and all the time I spent converting them up as an in-between unit (smaller than Nobs, bigger than Boyz) was wasted. They weren't outfitted to be Nobs, and looked too cool to be suddenly drop down to the cannon-fodder level of what slugga/choppas are now. It felt really bad to see these 40 converted skarboyz that were a nightmare in CC drop to ****-poor quality. Elsewhere the Kanz became better, but the Cyborks no longer existed and the tankbustas no longer represented their unit entry (as only 3 of them were modelled with rokkits, and suddenly soared in price).

After completing 1750pts and feeling like I had passed a major milestone, only to have the army drop down to sub-standard size again... felt really terrible. Not only that, but their performance also dropped considerably. So I gave up the army, offered it to a local GW store, and received some compensation in return. It's still floating around the GW stores in the Seattle area, and spent most of the past 2 years down in the Tacoma GW. Now I've got an Ork bike army (no, not one of those stupid Nob-Biker armies). Despite how bikes don't make sense in the current edition (Initiative roll-offs for combat, being locked in combat, etc), it's still been fun to play. Even if it's performance tends to be extremely lopsided.

Ironhand
22-03-2010, 17:09
The only army I ever got rid of was my 1st/2nd Edition Blood Angels. I got so annoyed with 2nd Edition that I sold everything I had, including an original Land Raider and the RT rulebook (the only thing I ever regretted selling).

I picked the game up again when 3rd Edition came out and I've kept every army I started since.

SPYDER68
22-03-2010, 17:24
Selling armies never is a good idea; I don't get why people would do it unless they really need the money. If they know they won't be interested in an army after some time, why do they get it in the first place? This may sound weird in the context of society today but I think if you start an army you commit to it.

I sold a smallish army once because I figured I had too many 40k armies (4) anyway. Never really regretted it but I don't see how people buy and sell armies constantly. I mean, simply painting up your 2000something points of stuff takes years. People really shouldn't get armies in one go but build them up gradually.

I havent spent any money on 40k in 6 months now, bought an entire Tyranid army off spare models that i sold that i never used in the last year.

I have alot of free time and i painted 4k of IG in about 5 months, painting about 4-5 hours a day 4-5 days a week, it doesnt really take me years, i paint while wife watches her shows on TV.

For me.. its easier to sell my IG army, and with the money ill get with it, i can finish Blood angels with the new things, then buy a whole new 2k point army..

No wonder you're bored with your IG and the codex's "easy mode". Why don't you try mixing your list up a bit instead of running a cookie cutter mech list.

The thing is.. i can make about any IG list i want.. swarm etc.

I dont like those builds, i hate infantry platoons in the new book, and without doing those.. it doesnt leave me many options at all.

You say my army is cookie cutter, its the army ive used since preview codex was released and i bought it a couple months early from the local store before the "Official" Release.

primarch16
22-03-2010, 17:28
Black Templars. One dimensional play style, relatively boring paint scheme.

Love my new daemons in comparison, wealth of different units with multiple stat lines, million and one different lists. No game is the same, and loads of different ways to paint units. Screw uniforms!

Petay1985
22-03-2010, 17:29
For me it has always been painting and modelling progression, the last 2 years have seen a massive improvement in my attitude towards painting, and subsequently a dramatic improvement in the quality of what i am producing.

Also i'm massively fickle and get bored easily, lol

Vaktathi
22-03-2010, 17:32
They are to easy to play, i started IG before i knew of the new codex, for an army to have a challenge with and still won most games with the old IG.

You could just run a different list that isn't easymode. If you want a challenge, don't play the 'ard lists, play something visually and thematically cool without regard to competitiveness. I have two IG armies, one of mech Carapace vets with hellhounds that is very friendly, the other a stereotypical mech IG facepunch vendetta/russ army that breaks people's armies in one turn. You don't have to give up on an army just because you've broken it.

Also, your list looks like it'd have a hard time with a green tide, have you played against an army like that with ~200 boyz? If not, see how it does :D

the1stpip
22-03-2010, 17:44
I am still slightly undecided about selling my old CSM army, as I havent used it since the new codex came out.

And I am thinking about selling my Beastmen, as I fell out with fantasy, and was hoping the new Beast book would ignite my passion for fantasy, but it didnt.

Having a family and a poor job, I dont have the disposable cash I would like, so it funds new armies.

Sykorax
22-03-2010, 17:53
I agree with a lot of the posters in switching things up.

While you may have a competitive spirit and want to win, people who play you often will already know you are good and thus you do not need strong builds/cookie cutter to gain respect. If anything, taking non standard units and still winning will generate even more respect.

Try some other strategies and units to keep the game fun which will save you money in the long run from not selling your armies - talking from personal experience.

Sold my SM because they were "easy mode" as they are so durable and often don't even need to consider cover & terrain. The big thing for me is I need models I like to paint & model + good rules. SM units I got sick of looking at from them being everywhere and have sold them twice now. However, several times I have wished I had kept them when I wanted an easier or different game.

Sold my nids twice 4 years ago and a year ago b/c I liked the models but not the rules for the lack of options so ended up rarely playing them.

Sold Eldar once when I quit the game for 4 years, wish I hadn't as I ended up going back to them. Also have deathguard now which I absolutely love for their models & fluff!

I would highly suggest keeping your IG especially as they have a newer codex and will likely end up wanting to pick them up again in a few months or if you want to give someone the beatdown you have this option. You'll save yourself the time, paint and money then!

LususNaturae
22-03-2010, 17:56

Not all of us buy armies we think we'll give up. Nids were my first army, 3rd ed codex, and I loved them. I loved the 4th ed dex when it came out. This one though...no matter how hard I try, I can't have as much fun with it. And let's not get started on the poor chaos players like my friend. He broke down and quit after that.

Crovax20
22-03-2010, 18:25

In fantasy I had O&G around 1500-2000 points. I had a blast playing with them and they were my first army. But as I matured more with the rules and armies, I found that the O&G just weren't the thing I was looking for. In the meantime I had bought a couple of empire state troopers and stuff... Right now I only play empire and can't really imagine playing anything else. When I started getting interested in the hobby I never considerd the empire.. but now I am proficient with the rules, I find it to be the most interesting army in the game.

Thus I am now selling my O&G force, simply because over time I have learned and find that it doesn't fit with my style of play anymore.

StormWulfen
22-03-2010, 18:31
I am considering selling my Space Marine army at the moment, I just don't find them fun anymore, the only stuff i'm not going to get rid of is my 2000 points of (5th ed legal) Rogue Trader Marines, I wont use them much but may get them out for a game every now and then. For now though I will just stick with my Chaos Marines and Space Wolves.

carldooley
22-03-2010, 18:43
you want to know why I'm selling armies?
Space.
Long Term, I intend to go back to school next year, and I want both my lists to fit in 3-4 cases. Right now, my hobby stuff is taking up most of a small room. Yes, some is storage, but I hope to get rid of all that I don't need. I have been condensing for a while now - magnetizing my 2 Land Raiders so that they can be used as Crusaders, or Redeemers, or Standard, as required. Doing that with all eligible models helps. SM is made for this - Dreadnoughts may as well be STC as you can change out the arms for different roles, as are rhinos. Keep the turret bit, and you Can have a rhino, razorback, or whirlwind. I plan to keep 'Nids and Space Marines.
Nids, because I love zilla lists, and Space Marines because I can run them as CSM, or SM, or SW, or DA, or BA, etc.

SPYDER68
22-03-2010, 18:49
You could just run a different list that isn't easymode. If you want a challenge, don't play the 'ard lists, play something visually and thematically cool without regard to competitiveness. I have two IG armies, one of mech Carapace vets with hellhounds that is very friendly, the other a stereotypical mech IG facepunch vendetta/russ army that breaks people's armies in one turn. You don't have to give up on an army just because you've broken it.

Also, your list looks like it'd have a hard time with a green tide, have you played against an army like that with ~200 boyz? If not, see how it does :D

Ive gone against green tide a few times and didnt have much trouble, just haft to out manuver them and its game over already, along with kill the correct squads and no worries.

This is the list i wanted to play even before it came competetive.. the whole reason i started IG was for a gunline mech army, id rather not change to an army style i dislike just to use the same army to give opponets a chance.

So far it seems simpler to but the last few things for my custom BA's then use the rest for another army.

Egaeus
22-03-2010, 18:49
I've still got my first Space Marine army that I started the game with back when 3rd edition first came out. I haven't used it in years and have no intent on using it in the near future having since built a second Marine army (begun when the then-new now-current Rhino model came out), plus a Tyranid army that I've also had for a long time (contains a good number of 2nd ed models). I have considered trying to sell it, but can't quite bring myself to do so for a number of reasons, probably the biggest being simple nostalgia. Although I am also a hoarder by nature, so it's not just 40K models that I tend to hang on to...

I did acquire a few armies from a friend that I turned around and sold off, but that was really the intent of that accquisition so there wasn't any emotional attachment to those models.

LonelyPath
22-03-2010, 19:02
I very rarely part with whole armies, but occasionally sell a few models here and there. The main reason for keeping the army is that I'll eventually come back to it again in a later edition of the game and it saves me starting from scratch, though eventually I do tend to replace most of the models with the newer ones, selling a few more classics to help pay for new things here and there.

However, typically I tend to end up with about 80% of the original stuff staying in my collection.

silverstu
22-03-2010, 19:07
I haven't sold any armies since I was a kid chasing the shiney shiney theme. I have had eldar since RT and a small nid force since 2nd ed- what I tend to do is use one for a while- if I get bored/hate the play style I put them to oneside and go after the other army. My collection has slowly expanded -I tend to add different playstyles when i revisit the army as I like the depth it adds to the collection.
That said I have a small blood angels army I haven't really used which I'm thinking of selling. I'm trying to stick to 3 armies per system and I think once DE are released i'll get an army of them. So despite having a soft spot for Blood Angels i think they should make way- I'm not wild about painting them up and the cash would be handy.
But i'd never give up my eldar army or my nids- they've been my long term loves in 40k.

GrogDaTyrant
22-03-2010, 19:15
Ive gone against green tide a few times and didnt have much trouble, just haft to out manuver them and its game over already, along with kill the correct squads and no worries.

While I don't doubt your success, I do question the viability of the Green Tides you faced. If you don't mind me asking, what did they field?

SPYDER68
22-03-2010, 20:00
Last 1500 pt match had Ghazzy + Warboss then all 30man boy squads with nob per squad was the last one i had.

Serpent
22-03-2010, 20:30
I've parted with two 40K armies (Eldar & Flesh Tearers) and three Fantasy armies (2 High Elves & Vampire Counts).

I sold them because I got bored playing them, mostly. I sold off all my Fantasy armies, because I never played the game anymore. I sold the Flesh Tearer army, because I found it boring to play after a year or so, and the Eldar army, while a first love, just wasn't my playing style after all.

I've considered parting with a few of my other 40K armies, but found them rewarding to play when I try them out again.

GrogDaTyrant
22-03-2010, 20:30
Last 1500 pt match had Ghazzy + Warboss then all 30man boy squads with nob per squad was the last one i had.

I figured as much... Ghazzie's so expensive that a good Green Tide really doesn't need another Warboss. And odds are pretty good that he went completely for Slugga/Choppa. Nothing wrong with that, but I can see how he'd get outmaneuvered and picked apart.

My favored Green Tide is a lot less 2-dimensional, consisting of 3 to 4 units of Shootas, grot-screens, and KFF Meks. It hasn't had as many problems with mechanized or highly mobile lists.

Col_Festus
23-03-2010, 03:31
You know why I'm selling my armies? Warmachine. Seriously tho I can't even get a game of Warhammer in at my FLGS. Every table every veterans night is full of people playing MKII. I bit the bullet about a month ago and haven't looked back. My armies will probably be up on ebay at the end of the month.. and I've played 40k for 15 years lol.

Firmlog
23-03-2010, 04:56
Dark Angels, Eldar, Sisters of battle, Imperial Guard: Stolen (out of car, not games store, if it was at a store I would be done)

Dark Angels (DA/DW/RW): Sold, each successive codex was less DA than the last, and had a lower power level, just lost interest.

Tau: Gave away, got mad at a buddy decided to get out of the hobby, Gave the army away. Couldn't seem to get anyone to buy it. (buddy happened to own a store)

Chaos 2nd ed.: Sold, 3rd came out didn't like chaos anymore.

Steel legion army: Sold... see tau.

Goblin (painted blue): lost interest in building the army of smurfs, never got enough goblins.

Space Marines: Sold, armored razorbacks and predators Got bored with beating people, badly, no one would play the army anymore.

Thousand Sons: Sold. Codex changed, just never got more models to make a coherent chaos army of pure thousand sons, didn't want to buy new models when the new codex came out.

Genestealers: Gave away. Never got enough genestealers to make a All/mostly Genestealer army. However, it would be cool if you could do a Hybrid army... too bad.

Tau (BFG): Sold, so a tau player would get into BFG with me, however I never saw him again, he got sucked into WOW and disapeared.

Dark Eldar: Sold, wanted to try a all warrior/witch army, lost interest and never got the rest of the figures I wanted.

I still have 5 fantasy armies: 2 fully painted beasts and TK, dwarves half painted, empire and bretonia in boxes.

I still have Orks (being built and painted), Squats painted with no vehicles, OOP marines stripped and reprimed. Eldar about half painted with lots of bikes, vipers and falcons/fireprisms.

Numerous Battlefleet gothic fleets. Dark Eldar, Orks, Space Marines (though would sell if someone would buy)

SandQueen
23-03-2010, 05:13
I got a good chunk of my Eldar from a guy who just didnt have enough room for it.

Hunger
23-03-2010, 09:34

2x Vendetta
1x Valk with Pods

1x Manticore

Wow, what an exciting list.

Have you considered the revolutionary idea of VARYING it instead of buying a new army each time you feel like a change?

blackcherry
23-03-2010, 10:30
With me it was simply down to lack of use. I had a large space marine army that was never used. It was just taking up space. So I salvaged what I wanted for my CSM army and traded or sold the rest for things I did want.

The rest could be put down to army fatigue. CSM (which I'm holding onto as I know I always drift back to them eventually) just bore me now and so do my WoC for Fantasy. So why have it take up space that can be used for other things?

*SQUEE*
23-03-2010, 10:35
Over the years I have sold many armies.

Armies I have sold.
Tyranids (Twice)
Blood Angels
Generic Chaos Marines
Imperial Guard (Cadians)
Necrons
Death Wing

I have sold more then that for fantasy.

I normally sell an army if I feel it won't get painted or it's redundant (when I sold my Cadians I had two other Guard armies still). I have started my Tyranids a third time as I found a quick nice looking scheme and am really enjoying painting them.

Armies I have not sold yet.

Orks (6k+)
Relictors (3k)
Space Wolves (5K)
Eldar (6K)
Tyranids (4k+)
Vostroyan Guard (3k)
Death Korps of Krieg (5k)
Plague Marines (4K)
Iron Warriors (3k)

Badger[Fr]
23-03-2010, 11:00

Indeed. How can one complain his army is broken and broken, yet deliberately choose one of the most powerful builds?

When I know my opponent's army is no match for a tournament build, I usually field "silly" units, such as Ogryns, Stormtroopers, Armoured Sentinels with PC, or 50 man Infantry blobs with a Priest and Straken, that don't belong in a competitive game but are nonetheless fun to play.

GrimZAG
23-03-2010, 12:18
I've never gotten rid of an army. I can't seem to make up my mind

Lord Asgul
23-03-2010, 12:25
I have sold 2 Chaos Armies before starting up another one, usually because my painting skills have got better and better over the years. I am now selling off half of my current Chaos army (6,000pts+) on eBay for 249 because I want to change the other half to fit in with my current army fluff. :)

SPYDER68
23-03-2010, 14:23
Wow, what an exciting list.

Have you considered the revolutionary idea of VARYING it instead of buying a new army each time you feel like a change?

Ive played different lists, and didnt like them, i owned around 4k of fully painted IG till i downsized a few months ago a little.

Stil have around 3k left..

I like the list i play, the army has just become dull..

I hate infantry swarm IG.. slow and static is bleh.
I dont like walking merged platoons.. i have tyranids for swarm.

Also to note.. i despise Ogryns straken..stormtroopers.... they are total pants, and i never made my army to be total omg i pwned you... I made the army based off of what i thought would be fun, not mass models to use (as i already have tyranids for that) and using the models i like.

Also.. ive yet to meet anyone that actually likes to play against IG.. it seemed it always ended up oh boy.. i get to play IG... what a boring army to play against.. or oh great.. IG...

x-esiv-4c
23-03-2010, 14:39
Haven't parted with a 40k army yet :)

castellanash
23-03-2010, 14:57
Also.. ive yet to meet anyone that actually likes to play against IG.. it seemed it always ended up oh boy.. i get to play IG... what a boring army to play against.. or oh great.. IG...

i love playing against guard they can be a varied force, a good mixed army is fun to play against. the only problem is when people use overkill armies like yours. a good mix of veterans and a platoon with tanks can lead to a fun game.

toymaker
23-03-2010, 15:01
I've parted with 2 armies. I gave my old 3rd edition Chaos Army (Iron Warriors) to my LGS because I stopped caring about 40k and just wanted the army OUT of my house.

I got back in a few years later and started from scratch. I kept all my armies but was going to add a 4th/5th army. (Depends if you consider my Khorne CSM army part of my full Chaos army.)

I now have Death Guard, World Eaters, and Bad Moons Orks.

I was going to build a 3rd Chaos army (Emperor's Children) but decided that was TOO much Chaos. Sold all of that army piecemeal and got a Space Marine army instead. Now I have 3 different armies to choose from. I run my DG and WE as a combined force.

SPYDER68
23-03-2010, 16:42
i love playing against guard they can be a varied force, a good mixed army is fun to play against. the only problem is when people use overkill armies like yours. a good mix of veterans and a platoon with tanks can lead to a fun game.

I guess thats my problem then :p, i dont like using infantry platoons to mix into the army :(

castellanash
23-03-2010, 17:17
if you dont put an infantry platoon in then you're not gonna have as a good a game in my opinion, the IG epitomize rolling loads of dice to shoot. thats just what i think they do and with the measly amount of troops you field then you dont get that fun bit watching your opponent go is that all your shots? and you say nah i've not got enough dice i need to roll this twice more aferwards.... and their jaw drops.. aha

Ravenous
23-03-2010, 17:29

Same here, its kind of like how people approached tau in 4th: "oh great I get to move towards you, get shot to hell and not do anything all game".

After this weekend it seems im going to part with my IG army (Fully painted even)

Probly going to play in 1 more tourney with them due to nids arent ready this weekend..

Why ?

1: Friends dont like playing against the army
2: People at tourneys dont like playing against the army
3: I dont like using the army because of the others.

You might as well sell your Blood Angels then, you dont get much more linear tactics then; Spam FNP/ AV13 + brutal assaults and lightning speed - any real weakness = win.

Lord Malorne
23-03-2010, 17:34
My armies are always in a state of change, hence why I have the highest itrader on Warseer.

Spider-pope
23-03-2010, 18:20
Ive sold a few armies - Orks, Witch Hunters, Space Marines - mostly due to financial difficulties last year after Woolies went bust and i was made unemployed.
Regret having to sell them, and i am often tempted to restart my Witch Hunters now that my finances have stabilised.

I can understand selling an army, but the thing i personally have never understood is buying a pre-owned, pre-painted army. Something just feels...wrong when i use someone elses miniatures, and the few models i have bought of Ebay just dont feel like they are mine.

Glabro
23-03-2010, 18:21

That's good advice, but probably harder to accomplish than how it sounds. Now, if he really has just copied over his list from the net it's different: IMO that's got to be one of the worst things to happen to gaming (copy-paste lists).

However, if he came up with the list himself with an optimizing mindset, how do you intentionally "weaken" your list? It will feel very counter-productive when the only real criteria for units is efficiency in the codices.

Maybe we need to talk about the fun value of units more on this forum instead of just price-performance. How about a "units most likely to increase fun for both players" thread?

Also, variety on itself is fun, even if all the units are optimized. Maybe some sort of limitations on duplicating units? We usually play with max. 2 of the same non-troop unit, but that might not be enough.

ghoulio
23-03-2010, 18:28
Typically the only reason I part with any army is because I have gotten substantially better at painting since I painted it in the first place. I have been playing/painting for almost 20 years now and it seems that about every 5 years or so my armies tend to look outdated in comparison to my new stuff. If I don't have a serious shot at winning best painted with any army I typically don't want to own it anymore. So far I have sold:

- Blood Angels (end of 2nd ed, start of 3rd ed, painted in the oldschool "Blood Angels Orange" which made them look like they were dipped in tomato soup)
- Tyranids. All 2nd ed models, almost all inked and drybrushed. I sold it for a fair amount of coin so I ended up buying everything for my current Nid army.
- Tau, although this one is a combination of outdated painting as well as the army is so one dimensional that I found it very not fun to play anymore
- Necrons. Actually, this army I painted with the sole purpose of selling. I was able to buy just over 2000pts of crons for around $125 (a lot of stuff was given to me) and ended up selling it for $1000 (it was a "best painted" winner from a couple tournies).

Fantasy
Skaven, Dwarves, Hive Elves and Ogres. This was a case of just liking 40k WAY more. I just hate the minatures for pretty much every range in fantasy, except maybe the undead armies.

Currently I own about 2500pts of fully painted Tyranids, which are so far beyond anything else I have painted. A big part of me wants to sell the army because I truely *hate* the new book. I have played many games with it, even gone to a bunch of tournies and I really don't like the feel of it anymore, and I find it incredibly easy to beat if you know what you are doing (which is why I love playing AGAINST nids lol). Actually, I find my two least fav armies in the game currently were written by the same person. My least fav army to play against is IG (BY FAR) and my least fav to play as is rapidly becoming Tyranids.

SPYDER68
23-03-2010, 18:34
Same here, its kind of like how people approached tau in 4th: "oh great I get to move towards you, get shot to hell and not do anything all game".

You might as well sell your Blood Angels then, you dont get much more linear tactics then; Spam FNP/ AV13 + brutal assaults and lightning speed - any real weakness = win.

Except i use my Blood angels as vanilla also, and i actually enjoy the units besides spamming AV13/FNP.

power builds i dont worry about, unless im going to a tourney i bring a competetive list.

With My IG, the list i have.. is the one that i like, and not the other aspects of the army.

With Blood angels, i can run vanilla with storms which is fun some times.

I can run a jump pack heavy army, i have many options with this one that i would enjoy.

I have plans of my theme ive been working on, and making a BA special character varient of every vanilla character that i could have fun using (except vulkan i refuse). Even with the new dex.

I have nice plans of a Kantor list, with sternguard made from the new BA plastic kits.

Marines i feel i have options... IG.. im set with the 1 style i enjoy.

While AV13 spam could be great, i just dunno so far if i even want to take that route besides Baal's as i love the Assault cannon for some odd reason.

That and BA was the first army that i actually attempted to do back in the day.

mdauben
23-03-2010, 21:12
I don't generally part with my armies. The only times I did (Eldar and Tyranid) I eventually came to regret it. I'm currently re-building my Eldar army. While the new minis are nice, the old ones I had were good, too, and I will now end up spending hundreds to replace what I once had. :cries:

ashc
23-03-2010, 21:47
I'm envious of people who can choose one army and stick with it forever.

I have traded off a number of armies in my time, lets have a think...

40K - Black Templars, Iron Warriors, Alpha Legion, Black Templars MkII.

Fantasy - Chaos Warriors, Dwarfs, Ogre Kingdoms, Dark Elves, High Elves.

Usually I either build one list and find I don't like the rest of the book for expansion (similar to what Spyder68 has hit with guard) or I just fancy a change. I don't like the idea of spending huge amounts of money on stuff that just sits in boxes, and so the money I get for selling stuff goes back in to the hobby and not much else.

Project2501
23-03-2010, 23:28
Basically, I sell off an army because I've run out of ideas for it/stopped having fun with it. This in turn gets me money to start a new army and redo it all again. Unfortunately I'm kind of 'stuck' with my guard still as there isn't anything else out yet that has me chomping at the bit (come on already with the GK codex please GW).

Earthbeard
23-03-2010, 23:31
In the past it was due to not enough time or desire to play some of my armies, so may as well see them put to use elsewhere than a cardboard box/storage.

These days I've tried to slim down my armies/collecting to a few armies I really enjoy, which for the most part is chaos, I get to use most of the parts, mixing kits, swapping fantasy and 40k for cool conversions. It keeps me from spending a silly amount more than I already do, and the modelling is always fun.

Of course I semi-broke the rule to do 13th co. Space Wolves, but seeing as they are half chaos parts, it "ok" :D

Logarithm Udgaur
24-03-2010, 01:42
I have only ever owned one army, although I have had to go through multiple codexs to field it (first LatD, then IG, now new IG). Glory to the Gaur forever!

To the OP; IG have at least as many effective builds as C:SM. If you find that you do not like changing your list (I change mine every time I play, keeps myself and my opponent on our toes), and it has become stale for you, I would agree that you should sell the army.

AlmightyNocturnus
24-03-2010, 02:57
I have also sold or traded several armies that were unpainted, partially painted or even fully painted.

A guy in our local gaming circle doesn`t understand why I do it (since he literally collects all the armies).

I basically have three reasons for doing it:

1. I have limited space ( live in Japan and the apartments here are as small as you`d imagine...no wait, they`re half that size). I sell armies to clear space to make more armies.

2. I like to be "unique". I was the first IG player in this country (about 9-10 years ago) and it provided a lot of fun and variety for my opponents. I also liked modelling and painting and army no one else had. Now, EVERYONE plays IG here (as many as there are Marine players) and, as the OP stated, it`s just not fun to use them anymore. So, I traded them for Nids (my new painting project).

3. The last reason is probably the most important - I like to increase the number of players in this area. There aren`t many wargamers or wargaming clubs in Japan and the biggest obstacle for people starting is the painting part. So, I sometimes sell fully painted armies to serious noobs who want to play. This insures that I will still be able to play the game 3, 5, and (hopefully) 10 years later.

No, I`ve never felt any regret for trading or selling an army...I just look forward to the next challenge.

Almighty Nocturnus

Seville
24-03-2010, 03:07
Um, yeah, whatever. I only read the first post and saw it as nothing much more than the OP indulging in a bit of self aggrandizing. Yes, we all bow down to you. You are the greatest 40k player ever.

And I am also calling BS. There is no way you're steamrolling people with a list like that.

Project2501
24-03-2010, 03:37
Um, yeah, whatever. I only read the first post and saw it as nothing much more than the OP indulging in a bit of self aggrandizing. Yes, we all bow down to you. You are the greatest 40k player ever.

And I am also calling BS. There is no way you're steamrolling people with a list like that.

Someone doesn't know which thread they're typing in? :p

Seville
24-03-2010, 03:42
Someone doesn't know which thread they're typing in? :p

No, I know exactly which thread I am typing in. Did you read the first post? It's basically "ho hum, I am so bored because I simply keep steamrolling everyone with my Imperial Guard. I'm going to sell them now."

Yawn :rolleyes:

Project2501
24-03-2010, 04:03
No, I know exactly which thread I am typing in. Did you read the first post? It's basically "ho hum, I am so bored because I simply keep steamrolling everyone with my Imperial Guard. I'm going to sell them now."

Yawn :rolleyes:

I've read every post in this thread, and just like almost everyone else, was mature enough to see past the gloating and reply to the thread topic.

Looks like you missed that.

Seville
24-03-2010, 04:06
I've read every post in this thread, and just like almost everyone else, was mature enough to see past the gloating and reply to the thread topic.

Looks like you missed that.

Yeah, good for you. I think it makes the thread worthless. I am surprised it has made it to 3 pages, since the original post is essentially without substance and doesn't really pose a question.

I don't really care if calling the OP out makes me immature. Threads like this are the reason I stay away from Warseer as much as possible.

But I am now out of this thread! I've had my say! :D

Ulrig
24-03-2010, 08:26
I parted with dark eldar long ago, my gaming store closed down.

I parted with Tau a month or two ago....I hated painting them...was not fun.

I have shelved nids....after having it near completion I refuse to rebuild it again just to suit a bad codex. I am thinking of selling it but I keep talking myself out of it.

I am on Orks now, This | | close to having it playable.

SPYDER68
29-03-2010, 14:58

2x Vendetta
1x Valk with Pods

1x Manticore

Gave the army one more go this weekend, took the above list.

The armies seemed more competetive at this shop then last one.

Game 1: Vs mech IG 5-6 vet squads in chimeras, Psyker battle squad, 2 vendetta, 1 valk with pod, Griffon, command squad.

I won Killpoints 6-5. First long drawn out game in a good while with my IG.

Game 2: Tau - Game was over a little more then an hour early, opponet didnt have fun, i didnt have fun.

Game 3: vs Kantor with Ironclads etc.

Was an odd scenario, game was slow, got over 1 hour early, only reason it went as close as it did was due to for some odd reason Rock hills with flat tops and 1 slope to get up there was area terrain.. which it shouldnt have..

Really helped his scouts with camo cloaks set there with 2+ cover saves on an objective.

At least the game changed my mind on armor 13 dreads to try using them some as they looked fun.

Ended up with tied for 1st (they didnt use a point system or battle missions)

Overall.. same ole things, seemed like 1st game was talk of the place as it seemed their used to mech IG being the same ole way, mass valks and chimeras all over the place, looked like a massive parking lot.

So yet again.. Bleh, got pics all taken, just gonna think on it 1 more week then most likely they shall be gone.

Ragnor2004
03-04-2010, 23:54
I for one am totaly for selling armies for me I've sold tau, nids twice, chaos, orks, demonhunters and soon to be my sallies. For me its about every 8-12 months I feel i get better at painting and modeling and I want my new army to be a level up from the last, I have just come to accept the fact that i will eventually sell my army to finance a new one that will hopefully look better then the last.