PDA

View Full Version : Age Demographic

Grymlok
22-03-2010, 16:12
At the video games Bafta's last week Dara O'brian (Irish Comedian) was talking about how the average video game player in the UK is now aged 33. This being mainly due to my age group having grown up with video games (I'm 30).

I wonder how the age demographic is for Warhammer considering many players will have grown up with it too, or is the largest percentage new blood brought in in recent years? I've never been to a tournament, but what are the main age groups found at big tournaments?

Devon Harmon
22-03-2010, 16:15
To give you several data points: I'm 36. My primary opponents are 44, 40, 39, and32.

Zanzibarthefirst
22-03-2010, 16:24
im 21(22 in under a month) and i started when i was about 10 while my gaming buddy is also 21. TBH I doubt that the average age of a video gamer is 33, the data is probably dody because of parents buying their children 18+ rated games etc...

Coragus
22-03-2010, 16:25
I'm 36 too. I've been to a tourney in the last year and I'd guess that four of my five opponents were older than me. My main opponent is two years younger.

I think that generally, Warhammer tends to have an older crowd than 40K.

enyoss
22-03-2010, 16:42
There's a recent poll on this very topic which would be worth looking at. I can't remember the exact distribution, but I think the mode was in the late 20's/early 30's (I'm 29, for record). Of course, you could go through the membership list and collect birthday data :D.

Grymlok
22-03-2010, 16:43
I would have thought that the 33 age figure would have been determined from looking at online accounts for Windows live, xbox live, PS3 network, Steam accounts etc?

I see the point about age rated games, my mother bought my 11 year old nephew Modern warfare 2 for Christmas, but not sure if that would affect the figures.

I actually started with Hero Quest when I was young. Moved to 40K as a teenager, played that for years and was a late comer to WFB which I only started when 5th edition was released. I only play WFB now though. I was thinking of doing some tournaments so thats why I was asking. Not sure if the tournaments would be a bit overly competitive if it was all younger folk?

Grymlok
22-03-2010, 16:44
There's a recent poll on this very topic which would be worth looking at. I can't remember the exact distribution, but I think the mode was in the late 20's/early 30's (I'm 29, for record). Of course, you could go through the membership list and collect birthday data :D.

Ha ha! I may be procrastinating from my work load at this very minute, but that would take it to an entirely new level.

I'll have a look for the poll now, thanks.

TMATK
22-03-2010, 16:46
I would have thought that the 33 age figure would have been determined from looking at online accounts for Windows live, xbox live, PS3 network, Steam accounts etc?

Keep in mind there's more to video games then just consoles and steam. Think of all the little flash games on the internet. How many guys here have Moms or sig-others hopelessly addicted to farmville? :rolleyes:

Grymlok
22-03-2010, 16:48
Good point. At christmas this year my nephews intorduced me to miniclip and some other "waste an hour at work" sites with little games on them. I hadn't thought of them.

Toshiro
22-03-2010, 16:50
Well, I'm 28 and most my opponents are in their mid twenties :)

Condottiere
22-03-2010, 16:51
Our group ranges from mid twenty onwards; we probably need new blood.

Erloas
22-03-2010, 16:52
the data is probably dody because of parents buying their children 18+ rated games etc...

I don't see how that has any impact because its a useless data point in this sort of thing. You could probably try to use a point like that to say there are at least X% of people buying 18+ games but thats about it. There is nothing in the purchasing of an 18+ game to distinguish between an 18 year old buying it, a 30 year old buying it, or a 75 year old grandma for buying it for their grandkid. Its a meaningless point to get an average age from. Also most games are not mature rated and there is nothing there saying a non mature rated game goes to someone that is 12 or 18+.

These sorts of stats are generally gathered by survey anyway, not sales figures. Because, as above, sales figures have very little to no age related to them.

I'm 29 right now, of my regular opponents I think 3-4 are older then me, and about 6-8 are younger. I don't think any of them are still in high school, and if they are its their last year, but most of the younger ones I know are in college. I've been playing since I was about 21-23 (forget exactly when I started). Even when I was in Phoenix most of the players were 20+, a few teenagers, all 16+ though, and a few players that were quite a bit older.

happy_doctor
22-03-2010, 16:57
I have always been the youngest in my gaming group(s), since I took a liking to the hobby from my brother's and cousins' miniatures. (they are older)

So, here I am, 24 years old, and my usual gaming buddies are people aged 30-40! So I guess that you can add this purely anecdotal evidence to the Warhammer demographic. We are the generation that grew up with Hero Quest, Space Crusade and other great board games, dividing our childhood's spare time equally between playing sports, board games and video games.

After that, pokemon generation turned almost exclusively to video games (with exceptions, of course). So I guess that may explain the fact that 40-year olds are more likely to be playing with toy soldiers than teenagers. ;)

Grymlok
22-03-2010, 17:09
I have always been the youngest in my gaming group(s), since I took a liking to the hobby from my brother's and cousins' miniatures. (they are older)

So, here I am, 24 years old, and my usual gaming buddies are people aged 30-40! So I guess that you can add this purely anecdotal evidence to the Warhammer demographic. We are the generation that grew up with Hero Quest, Space Crusade and other great board games, dividing our childhood's spare time equally between playing sports, board games and video games.

After that, pokemon generation turned almost exclusively to video games (with exceptions, of course). So I guess that may explain the fact that 40-year olds are more likely to be playing with toy soldiers than teenagers. ;)

Interesting, I wonder if I would have ever got into GW games had it not been for the introduction that Hero Quest gave me. I remember at Primary school every boy played Hero Quest and Space Crusade, and a few of us emigrated on to 40K and WFB.

Then again, I think that current video games in turn will generate interest the way that the 80's board games did with myself. Dawn of War & Mark of Chaos may inspire the current young generation to take up the hobby? However, those video games don't have the models and take away the imagination factor. No longer to children need to imagine the sights and sounds I did. A PS3 can produce the visuals and sounds that my child hood mind had to manufacture and dream up.

If I was a parent I'd like to see my children utilise a creative streak painting up and designing an army. That creativity would not be nurtured through video gaming.

Desert Rain
22-03-2010, 17:26
I'm 19 and most of the people I play with are about the same age as I am.

zak
22-03-2010, 17:37
I have always found the average age for Fantasy to be higher having worked for GW for a couple of years and now via my local gaming club. My group range from early twenties to late fifties. I am somewhere in the middle.

larabic
22-03-2010, 17:42
I will be 30 in 6 weeks, a geek to the core.

AFnord
22-03-2010, 18:00
I'm 25, been playing since I was 13. Most of the people I usually play with are about my age (lowest is 22, highest is 29). Most people around here who play warhammer/40k are slightly older.

Midevil216
22-03-2010, 21:08
Im 36 and have been playing for like 15 years now, if not longer.
Never been to a big tunrey myself but the group I game with are between 23 and 45.

sliganian
22-03-2010, 21:33
I started 10 years ago in 'the hobby' with Battlefleet Gothic when I was already 30....

Regular opponents (for as much as we get to play these days) are 37 and 46.

Kevlar
23-03-2010, 02:53
I'm 37 and most of my friends who play are the same age. We've all been playing off and on since high school. We even started playing some tabletop D&D again over ventrillo.

From Shadows
23-03-2010, 02:55
I am 41 and my fellow gamers are around the same age ( 40-45 )

ChaosVC
23-03-2010, 03:01
I am 32 and unfortunately for me, alot of my former warhammer friends around my age had to give up on the hobby because of family .ie wife and children. I am currently playing with a younger group of players and only a few of my older friends are still around but rarely goes down by themself without invitations from me. And I really hate my former group of new players who are mostly WAAC players, one **** even twitches and stutter if he think he is about to lose. :rolleyes: What a sight.

Essexkiwi
23-03-2010, 22:02
I'm one of the older guys at 44, my son is the youngest WFB player at 12 and has been playing for 3 years.

The general demographic in our part of the world is pre-teens and young teens dominating LOTR apart from the odd crusty fan in the over-40's, 40K is mostly teenagers-early 20's, and WFB has the widest age spread from young teens through to greybeards but the average age would be around 30.

Grymlok
23-03-2010, 22:08
I'm one of the older guys at 44, my son is the youngest WFB player at 12 and has been playing for 3 years.

The general demographic in our part of the world is pre-teens and young teens dominating LOTR apart from the odd crusty fan in the over-40's, 40K is mostly teenagers-early 20's, and WFB has the widest age spread from young teens through to greybeards but the average age would be around 30.

Welcolm to Warseer Essexkiwi, you a New Zealander living in Essex by any chance? :) (or vice versa)

I'll play for years to come I'm sure, but starting new armies might be difficult as my vision starts to get blurry after painting for more than 2 hours. I had my eyes tested a few months ago and they were fine though.

Alltaken
23-03-2010, 22:41
I'm 24, and my friends are around the age or 30+ ranging to 36 mostly. We do the odd 40k now and then. Started bout 8 years ago but with mordheim and some 40(proxy)k. Just about 2 years now of fantasy and we're currently having the most amount of armies and games right now. So it's our nerd prime.

Any way txs guys it's refreshing to know that a good nerd aging comes about!