PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Dawn of War inspired terrain

bluekitsune13
22-03-2010, 16:17
I really enjoy the Dawn of War video games, and they give me a lot of inspiration for some custom stuff. I've looked around the net, and I've stumbled across a few things. What I'm really looking for is if anybody has made terrain from the Dawn of War game, and translated it to the tabletop. For example in Dawn of War there are maps which are of a ruined city. While the cityfight buildings we have now are great, the game has much more than that. They have roads, crosswalks, power lines, etc. It really fleshes out the city. Or even some of the buildings like the turrets, listening posts, or HQs, I wonder if anybody has tried building those?

I'm most interested in the alien terrain, like Eldar, Tau, and Necrons. GW already has tons of Imperial stuff, and there isn't anything from other races. I think forgeworld has a few buildings from other races, but it's not as expansive as GW's Imperial stuff.

DonKarst0n
22-03-2010, 18:12
Awesome terrain for Imperium?

Have you checked out this one... though I have no experience with those they sure look amazing.

http://www.quantumgothic.co.uk/

Gearhead
22-03-2010, 20:48
I know GW had an article where they made DOW Terrain, Blood Raven Chapel Barracks, machine cult, and power generators is I remember right.

bluekitsune13
22-03-2010, 22:38
Really? Do you have a link? I can't find it on their site.

Lord Inquisitor
22-03-2010, 22:47
I'd like to see that too. I've been working on a Chaos Listening Post, but it's not finished and sadly I don't have any WIP pictures. I'll try to linky here when I'm done, but it may be some time...

Dangersaurus
22-03-2010, 22:52
Not xenos, but Bugbait has built the SM Armory and Headquarters from DoW and has pictures in his Apocalypse Terrain log. The thread starts here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109769).

MadHatter
22-03-2010, 23:05
Bugbait makes some awsome stuff. I personally keep an active i on his threads.

I think the article was in one or two WD, I will look for them after work.

MadHatter
29-03-2010, 10:14
sorry for the delay. the images of the Dawn of War table are in white dwarf 300. I do not have a scanner or i would scan the images for you. But perhaps someone else here does and will.

Hunger
29-03-2010, 10:33
Awesome terrain for Imperium?

Have you checked out this one... though I have no experience with those they sure look amazing.

http://www.quantumgothic.co.uk/

Wow, do people really buy this stuff? Do people really buy GW terrain too?

Its horrendously expensive - these sorts of things are really easy to build for yourself - 10 worth of foamcore, PVA glue and poster paint will allow you to build an entire battlefield full of buildings of any race - there are templates for Tau and Eldar buildings all over the internet.

If you want Tyranid terrain you need to invest in some expanding foam (the stuff builders use to fill cracks in walls) - a squirt or three will make loads of organic alien goo, and to make Necron terrain you need the plastic pillars that normal folk use to support the tiers of a wedding cake - get them from a bridal shop.

Seriously, nobody needs to buy a 20 bunker, I did my entire table for less than that. The most expensive thing you should buy for your scenery is 3mm MDF for the base (I think its called Masonite in the US - correct me if I'm wrong please). Bevel the edges with some sandpaper and you'll have good sturdy bases for your pieces that will last a lifetime of rough handling.

chromedog
29-03-2010, 11:06
I've watched plenty of US home reno tv shows and the peeps on it all call it mdf.

Masonite is a different animal entirely.

I'm working on a couple of pieces of DoW styled SM terrain for my club tourney coming up in a couple of weeks.

Wil Grand
29-03-2010, 11:11
Hirst Arts - molds or bought precast - it's a no brainer, really. Even buying precast you can get a massive amount for 30

Blue Orphen
29-03-2010, 15:05
Wow, do people really buy this stuff? Do people really buy GW terrain too?

Its horrendously expensive - these sorts of things are really easy to build for yourself - 10 worth of foamcore, PVA glue and poster paint will allow you to build an entire battlefield full of buildings of any race - there are templates for Tau and Eldar buildings all over the internet.

If you want Tyranid terrain you need to invest in some expanding foam (the stuff builders use to fill cracks in walls) - a squirt or three will make loads of organic alien goo, and to make Necron terrain you need the plastic pillars that normal folk use to support the tiers of a wedding cake - get them from a bridal shop.

Seriously, nobody needs to buy a 20 bunker, I did my entire table for less than that. The most expensive thing you should buy for your scenery is 3mm MDF for the base (I think its called Masonite in the US - correct me if I'm wrong please). Bevel the edges with some sandpaper and you'll have good sturdy bases for your pieces that will last a lifetime of rough handling.

And there are plenty of people who lack the time, skill, or inclination to "Make It Yourself". So they buy pre-made stuff, from GW or other retailers.

If they didn't, these companies wouldn't exist.

Sure, I can make my own terrain pieces, but most of them don't come out anywhere near as nice as the professionally-designed and produced ones that GW makes. And, complain all you want, they are pretty inexpensive. I know that I could NEVER make something that could hold a candle to the plastic WFB buildings they put out (Chapel, Watchtower, and Fortified Manor).

Wil Grand
29-03-2010, 18:47
A I know that I could NEVER make something that could hold a candle to the plastic WFB buildings they put out (Chapel, Watchtower, and Fortified Manor).

Nah, you can do much better http://www.hirstarts.com/pristowr/pristowr.html
You can buy that as a precast kit for 10.99 or buy the mold for 27 abd make as many blocks as you like and expand it, make it bigger, wider, build something else entirely. It goes together like lego models.

MadHatter
30-03-2010, 22:46
Nah, you can do much better http://www.hirstarts.com/pristowr/pristowr.html
You can buy that as a precast kit for 10.99 or buy the mold for 27 abd make as many blocks as you like and expand it, make it bigger, wider, build something else entirely. It goes together like lego models.

this is a cool site. if for nothing else, the insperation one can get from it. love the six story castle. I would use it for kill teams and mordhiem.

Citizensmith
30-03-2010, 23:51
Head over to your local aquarium/pet store. In amongst the vast array of pink castles you'll find a bunch of decent and cheap landscape pieces.

MadHatter
31-03-2010, 12:28
Head over to your local aquarium/pet store. In amongst the vast array of pink castles you'll find a bunch of decent and cheap landscape pieces.

personally i can make cheep terrain. But sometimes I want the nice stuff to. Not to mention there are things I draw upon to inspire me to build better things. So there is no reason not to look at others ideas or work.