PDA

View Full Version : Tyrannofex; using it?

BrotherErekose
22-03-2010, 20:06
I'm going put together one from bits. It looks like a great anti-I unit.

Has anyone been using it in their army? How's it perform? Do you go with the Acid Spray or one of the others?

TheHaunted
22-03-2010, 20:13
What are you saying it is good against?

BrotherErekose
22-03-2010, 20:23
Anti-Infantry.

"Anti-T" would be anti-Tank, anti-Psyckers, etc.
:)

Gearhead
22-03-2010, 21:03
With the Str 10 cannon, I would think it's main role woult be tanks. The AP is nice, but it's matched by the biovore, which is cheaper and pumps out blasts.

I've had one used against me, it did awful against infantry. Granted, I was playing marines, but 'nids have all kinds of things that can take out lighter infantry at range. It popped my tanks pretty good though, but then it ran into assault. For some strange reason, some of the new big bugs are quite squishy in assault. That could also be blamed on that I play Crimson Fists marines, so I have powerfists willy-nilly. It's really the WS and the number of attacks that did it in, it couldn't chew through anything very quickly.

Also, it hates plasma. Very, very much.

MoonReaper
22-03-2010, 21:03
its actually amazing in supporting HGs in killing transports and light vehicles.

That means that vs Mech IG with hellhounds and chimeras, tfex are amazing. Truly amazing

totgeboren
22-03-2010, 21:14
I played a 2 vs 2 game, where my partner had one. It was quite brutal. It killed a dread, a rhino, a bunch of sternguards (against whom its 2+ save was awesome) and hosed down some marines inside a building. I think it killed a MotF too.
It did very well in that game at least. Had not the enemy SM army been packed full of lascannons, it would have been unstoppable.

Vepr
22-03-2010, 21:16
I have not had the best of luck with them. They are not terrible but their cost makes them hard to take in anything lower than 1750 points in my opinion. They have good range and strength on their shot but for the cost of 1 tyranofex you can get 5 hive guard. I consider it just another one of the many :wtf: units in the codex.

LususNaturae
22-03-2010, 21:42
Agreed with Vepr. Like most things in the Tyranid codex, it's usable, but not optimal. BS 3 really drags it down. Yea, it can drop three templates a turn, but it's a short range, on a slow platform, in an army that doesn't lack for anti-infantry things.

I'll take a dakkafex over a T-fex. Or, better, a Trygon Prim :p

TheShadowCow
22-03-2010, 21:50
Agreed with Vepr. Like most things in the Tyranid codex, it's usable, but not optimal. BS 3 really drags it down. Yea, it can drop three templates a turn, but it's a short range, on a slow platform, in an army that doesn't lack for anti-infantry things.

The Tyrannofex requires AP2 weapons to seriously dent, though. Quite a lot of them as well, especially if you take Regeneration.

Those are AP2 weapons that aren't being directed at your Hive Tyrant/Guard Guard combi-doom unit, or your Trygon Prime, or your Hive Guard.

The Tyrannofex makes your opponent split up his firepower, which often plays right into your hands.

I love the Acid Spray, Cluster Spines & Dessicator Larvae build myself (with Regeneration). It's true that the Codex isn't lacking in anti-infantry options... but the Tyrannofex is one of the best anti-infantry platforms we've got (Acid Spray is truly amazing from a Tyranid firepower point of view) and it comes on a platform that simply refuses to die. You can rely on it to chew up units of infantry while it's on approach, and hey when it gets really close you can have it flip over an immobilised/stunned tank if you really like.

pazshadow
22-03-2010, 22:02
I've been using it quite a lot. t6 6 wounds with a 2+ and regen? yes please. The other army is pumping all its high strength guns into the tfex, and not my warriors, and the tfex is taking out those darn rhinos and chimeras so the regular troops get a chance to hit soft soldiers.
Another benefit is that a lot of ppl underestimate the danger of a tfex for assault. With a great flamer, and the assault 4 s5 spinebanks (i think? or cluster spines... always get the names mixed up), followed up by 4 mc s6 attacks... can mop up any units that chase it down to cc kill it.

RampagingRavener
22-03-2010, 22:08
The Tyrannofex makes your opponent split up his firepower

I have my doubts on this point. The Tyrannofex is very tough to bring down with Regenerate, yes, so why would any opponent with a bit of sense bother firing at it at all? Why waste shots chipping wounds off the Tyrannofex when you can direct them at more vulnerable, often equally or more dangerous things? I think the Monolith principle applies here; it's better to ignore it and deal with the rest of the army than to try and engage it. Or, if nothing else, throw a Fearless/high-Ld squad into combat with the thing and lock it down, unable to shoot for half the game.

While it churns out an impressive amount of Anti-infantry fire, Tyranids don't lack for that, and I'm not impressed by the Rupture Cannon compared to the alternatives presented by Hive Guard or Zoanthropes.

BrotherErekose
22-03-2010, 22:15
Are players proxying carnifex models for the tyrannofex? Any conversions?

While it churns out an impressive amount of Anti-infantry fire, Tyranids don't lack for that, and I'm not impressed by the Rupture Cannon compared to the alternatives presented by Hive Guard or Zoanthropes.I agree. The Zoe's Lance only lacks in distance to put aside tau railguns as the game's best anti-T wep.

That's why it looks best like an anti-I gunboat with the other wep options

Axis
23-03-2010, 00:27
I've used it 2-3 times. It always did well. I've since dropped it since i did a massive redesign of the army (to be heavily reserve orientated).

I ran it pretty stock. Took the flame weapon which wounds on a 2+ and cluster spines and the flame weapon w/ 12" range.

It murders infantry.

I blew up 18 boyz in a shooting phase with it. I blew up an entire squad of 8 sternguard in a shooting phase. However, if someone gets in combat with it it is neutralised. 3 attacks at ws3 does not cut it. so keep it out of combat and it is very threatening, in combat it is useless.

MoonReaper
23-03-2010, 00:30
Its BETTER to NOT use regen with Tfex.

With regen the opponent will probably ignore it.
you WANT him to attack to waste ap2 shots at it, with a 4+ cover he will have to waste a lot of shots on him.

ObiWan
23-03-2010, 00:46
I've used it a couple of times with good effect, ironically as anti tank, vs space wolves with Njal and another rune priest (bye bye psyk powers) and it's been great

BrotherErekose
23-03-2010, 01:01
So, how to fit it best into this list?

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250804

Draconian77
23-03-2010, 01:55
I've used it a couple of times and it was pretty effective at murdering infantry. I would always take the Acid Spray (+Cluster+Dessicator) over the Rupture Cannon, with the Acid Spray you have an auto-hitting, cover-ignoring attack. The Rupture Cannon on the other hand provides mediocre anti-tank firepower in addition to wasting the creatures other guns.

If the Tyrannofex could have taken both the Acid Spray (instead of the Cluster Spines) and the Rupture Cannon then I think that we would have seen a whole lot more of them being used. Pity.

adreal
23-03-2010, 09:52
A player that used to play around here (now has moved away) used on in a ninja list, mainly as a distraction becuase it's a huge imposing model, and if it's left alone, the rupture cannon can damage stuff.

His list has a hive commander tyrant, maybe two (not sure) outflanking super horms (adrenal and toxin) ymargl genestealers, doom in a pod, zoans (also maybe in pods)

*SQUEE*
23-03-2010, 10:17

I agree. The Zoe's Lance only lacks in distance to put aside tau railguns as the game's best anti-T wep.

That's why it looks best like an anti-I gunboat with the other wep options

I use the Forge World Hierodule for mine. The Barbed one for Str 10 gun and the Scythed for the Acid spray version.

Angelwing
23-03-2010, 10:23

I use my armorcast haruspexes, malefactor, exocrine and dactylis as handy stand-ins.

Vermin-thing
23-03-2010, 10:44
For me and my army it's a no-brainer choice since most of my stuff is less infantry killing based, and more for killing tanks. I've only got a small amount of gaunts for taking objectives. I'd give it Flesh borer hive (A20 yes please), regen, cluster spines, and electroshock grubs. The best way to use this would be to place it across from some infantry and let the bolling start.

TheShadowCow
23-03-2010, 11:52
For me and my army it's a no-brainer choice since most of my stuff is less infantry killing based, and more for killing tanks. I've only got a small amount of gaunts for taking objectives. I'd give it Flesh borer hive (A20 yes please), regen, cluster spines, and electroshock grubs. The best way to use this would be to place it across from some infantry and let the bolling start.

Fleshborer Hive is the one thing I'd steer clear of. The Acid Spray is simply better at bringing down infantry, at greater range, in greater numbers etc. If the Hive was longer ranged, or higher strength, or... something... then it might be worth taking over the Acid Spray, but as-is, it's just not the case.

The Tyrannofex definitely has a place though - amusingly enough it functions wonderfully alongside units of Hive Guard and Zoanthropes (nothing like unloading templates onto infantry after you've forces them out of their transport).

On the "we have enough anti-infantry firepower already" front... do we? Yes, we do in the Codex as a whole, but in terms of actual lists? Much less so, and certainly of far less reliable calibre.

BrotherErekose
23-03-2010, 16:34
Fleshborer Hive is the one thing I'd steer clear of.I agree, TSC. 20 dice. 10 hits. 5 wounds. ~2 dead SM/MEqs. Now, the potential for dice god blessings make me wanna roll all those dice, much like a full Striking Scorpion charge (36 dice, the whole box of Chessex!).

However, the template of Acid will garner more wounds, given the clumpy nature of 5e and troop formations (i.e., piling outta transports).

LususNaturae
23-03-2010, 16:52
I agree, TSC. 20 dice. 10 hits. 5 wounds. ~2 dead SM/MEqs. Now, the potential for dice god blessings make me wanna roll all those dice, much like a full Striking Scorpion charge (36 dice, the whole box of Chessex!).

However, the template of Acid will garner more wounds, given the clumpy nature of 5e and troop formations (i.e., piling outta transports).

Couldn't agree more. Remember that the biggest drawbacks to the T-Fex are his cost and mediocre BS. By taking cluster spines and acid spray, you keep both of these to a minimum.

BrotherErekose
24-03-2010, 06:03
Used it tonight. The close gun range got it in h2h after only one round of shooting, but it racked up 12 wounds in that one round (marine armor saves were made and failed, of course).

I used my termagant screen poorly, but a positive start.

Axis
24-03-2010, 06:25
Used it tonight. The close gun range got it in h2h after only one round of shooting, but it racked up 12 wounds in that one round (marine armor saves were made and failed, of course).

I used my termagant screen poorly, but a positive start.

Something i used effectively (when i still ran it). Move forward turn 1 and shoot. Do the same turn 2. Once you hit the ~18 range (it took me 2 turns cos he was deploying further back than the deployment line), try and stay that far away from things who you wont absolutely devastate. Only go within assault distance if you will get all three guns to land. Because you dont want to get assaulted by a unit of anything bigger than 5. with 3 attacks and WS3, you are looking at 1-2kills per round. You'll get bogged down. Thus not getting the most out of your land raider priced gunbeast.

So once i got to roughly the middle of the board, i starting kiting, or moving to the side and firing. Acid spray + cluster spines puts a lot of hurt in lots of stuff.

Scythe
24-03-2010, 08:37
I agree, TSC. 20 dice. 10 hits. 5 wounds. ~2 dead SM/MEqs. Now, the potential for dice god blessings make me wanna roll all those dice, much like a full Striking Scorpion charge (36 dice, the whole box of Chessex!).

Pretty much. Like the Punsiher cannon on a Leman Russ, 20 shots sound awesome, but actually are pretty terrible. Mediocore BS, low S and crapy AP kill any viability in 3 steps, not even counting its terrible range. Acid spray is superior in practically every aspect imho.

Vermin-thing
24-03-2010, 09:09
I guess it just sounds epic.

Mind you in theory the hive is for killing guard, and spray for marines.

It's S4 so your hitting on 4+ so say 9-11 hit, 7 wounds, with no saves. You might be able to fit 10-12 models under the temp, but that's fine for marines. I also think that the hive is great for killing boyz since its S4. 4+, 4+, maybe 12 dead. I guess the rupture cannon is for killing landraiders.

Okay, maybe my rolling is just bad.

8 hits 3 wounds. :(

with template:

8 partials, 4 fulls: 6 wounds. Thats assuming that there bunched up in a pile which they wont be.

genestealer_baldric
24-03-2010, 09:36
I use the Forge World Hierodule for mine. The Barbed one for Str 10 gun and the Scythed for the Acid spray version.

iam also doing this, it gives me an excuess for using it rather than having it sitting on the shelf .

the rupture cannons are amazing its annoying to take down and people either focus on it at the cost of other things or tend to ignore it i find

but yeah i have one in 1750 but not below that

LususNaturae
24-03-2010, 12:08
8 partials, 4 fulls: 6 wounds. Thats assuming that there bunched up in a pile which they wont be.

Erm, that would be 12 wounds. No such things as partials anymore.

MystheDevourer
24-03-2010, 20:29
normally I use the Tfex as a supportive anti tank so I dont ahve to wait on my Zoanthropes for those needed shots but a Tfex bomb unit sounds interesting. . . .

Vermin-thing
25-03-2010, 01:49
Erm, that would be 12 wounds. No such things as partials anymore.

Guess I've been playing WHFB to much.

I redid the rolling and I killed 8 out of 12 guardsmen.

Comrade Penguin
25-03-2010, 01:59
Better off using biovores or basic troops (horms or terms) for anti I. Hell you're better off using just about any of the other CC monstrous creatures to take out enemy infantry, they at least can break through that power armor. Maybe I play against too many space marine players...

Draconian77
25-03-2010, 02:05
Trygons and the like are great against Marines, but for wiping out 30 man Shoota Boy mobz you can't really go wrong with the Acid-Spray/Cluster Spine Tyrannnofex. It's also virtually immune to the Orks long range firepower.

Anything with a 4+ (or worse) armour save has to fear the Tyrannofex.

GrogDaTyrant
25-03-2010, 02:37
Trygons and the like are great against Marines, but for wiping out 30 man Shoota Boy mobz you can't really go wrong with the Acid-Spray/Cluster Spine Tyrannnofex. It's also virtually immune to the Orks long range firepower.

Anything with a 4+ (or worse) armour save has to fear the Tyrannofex.

For the cost... you're better off with equal points in Devourer Gaunts. You'll do far more damage that way to a mob of 30 boyz. Besides, a 2+ save monster isn't anything new to Ork players. We were forced into using PKs as an answer against EVERY monster in the previous codex, now it's only that way for the walking Tyrants and Big Bertha. If anything it became easier now that Rokkits are actually worth using against Nids again.

The Tyrannofex's usefulness comes from having access to a 2-shot Str10 cannon with considerable range. Aside from that, the Nid anti battle-tank options consist of Psychic auto-kill lances that are susceptible to runes/hoods, and mauling it in close combat with a monsterous creature. Oh and Rending claws can work as well. But sometimes you need something beefy with considerable range, and decent tank-punching power (that can't be indirectly stopped by Eldrad). And the Tyrannofex has got it.

Balerion
25-03-2010, 03:11
I've only used a T-fex once, against mech-y IG (but it was more Leman heavy than transport heavy). The T-fex performed alright at hassling armour and keeping it from doing what it wanted to. He was largely ignored in favour of the more pressing threats in my list (Trygon + Mawloc + Tervigons).

On the "we have enough anti-infantry firepower already" front... do we? Yes, we do in the Codex as a whole, but in terms of actual lists? Much less so, and certainly of far less reliable calibre.
I think the question is, "are there better ways to spend 250+ points on anti-infantry options?" and to me the answer is yes. As far as I can see, only Brother Erekose has mentioned my biggest fear in fielding an anti-infantry T-fex, which would involve him getting tarpitted after a single round of shooting. Considering that he can absolutely liquefy the right kinds of infantry, a single round might be all he needs to make himself worthwhile depending on the target, but it's still a risk I'm not inclined to take.

Let's not forget that the "anti-tank" incarnation of the T-fex can still drop a S5 pie-plate (and the two instakilling shots) down when he feels like it. If your HG and Zoeys can deal with the immediate armour threats (and they will likely be acting before the T-fex, since their range and potential targets are much more restrictive) then the T-fex is free to mow down some infantry.

Although I still wish the Spines were replaceable by an HVC. Gunfex Mk.2. Might have been a no-brainer, but at 300ish points that would only apply in larger games.

Filthy O'Bedlam
25-03-2010, 03:25
Against Eldar it is truly frightening. I can burn most of the units right off of the table with acid spray, and can Insta-kill most of their characters.

I haven't found it particularly useful against Space Marines, but unless he starts taking our Land Raiders with the rupture cannon, he's not really gonna earn his points back.

Good unit, but specialized.

nothingatall544
25-03-2010, 07:22

It is clear to me that you do not understand the staying power of a T-Fex, play against 3 of them with their Str 10 gun, then tell me they are sub optimal.

Proto11
25-03-2010, 08:03
ok... so you took down the LR and then the rest of their army tarpitted/ignored the Tfex and took all the objectives because you had no points left for the rest of your army?

Kaelarr
25-03-2010, 11:14
The Tyrannofex is a support unit. As above it gives you S10 without having to rely on thropes, it gives you descent anit infantry, even when you do have the rupture cannon, and most of all its a big ass deterent most of the time.

I run one in 1500pt games, and nearly every game ive played it swings it for me. Theres a lot of space wolves about, and he just stands in front of the long fangs and laughs. Its worse when he has catalyst...

LususNaturae
25-03-2010, 15:24
It is clear to me that you do not understand the staying power of a T-Fex, play against 3 of them with their Str 10 gun, then tell me they are sub optimal.

In games of less than 2000pts, they are sub optimal.

My first 5 games I tried using a pair. Staying power was the only thing they had. I ran them with Rupture Cannon and Regeneration. In all the games, only one of them died.

Problem was, even though they never died, at almost 300 points each, they were half to a third of my army, and did not have enough of a damage output to justify taking them in 1500-1850pt games. As such, I only consider them for games of 2000pts or more now.

Dr.Clock
25-03-2010, 15:36
I hate tyrannofexes with a passion. All that template death ruins my eldar... and the 2+ save makes most of my return fire pretty ineffectual. Add to that my opponent's tendency to use it as an anchor in the midst of two tervigons and a gaunt horde and this thing is a devil to dig out. Basically, for anyone not in power-armour, it makes combat the safest place to be when playing tyranid army... this is not the ideal. I don't think I've actually been able to kill one in all this time. Tervigons, trygons, carnifexes... all go down pretty easily... only the tyrannofex gives me a huge problem.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

lego_king
25-03-2010, 16:43
I only have one completed of the two I have been using. The other is still a fex. I have found them to be very beneficial to my army and they have quickly become the focus of my opponents due to the staying power. and for that i love them, taking the fire from other parts of my army.
one has the rupture cannon and regen. the other has the acid spray with regen. Run with two tervi's each with onslaught to give that extra range on the t-fex with acid spray and my zoan squad. where armour and transports were a bane for my army in 4th rules these guys make my opposition have me deploy first always to keep their armour more safe. we do play higher point games though (2000 average) so in a lighter point game i do not have experience with them.

Dr.Clock
25-03-2010, 16:46
Yeah... just like Dark Reapers... probably only useful in large games.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

LususNaturae
25-03-2010, 16:58
Yeah... just like Dark Reapers... probably only useful in large games.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Yep.

Funnily enough, Stelek over at YTTH uses Tfexes and Carnifexes in one of his "Ard Boyz Approved lists" at 2500 points...coupled with maximum Hive Guard and Tervigons, the list has 72 T6 wounds!

MystheDevourer
25-03-2010, 17:48

3 RupptureFex's 0.0 thats like almost 800 points!!!! you have a better bet with taking 2 full broods of Zoanthropes in pod. . .