PDA

View Full Version : 'Ard Boyz......Which army to take?

Bestaltan
22-03-2010, 22:57
To be honest, I'm not really sure which forum to put this in, here or tactics. I'll stay tactics-light to keep it here I suppose.

After my tournament Saturday, I found my Tyranid army.....lacking. The tournament rather quickly turned into a 2000 mini-Ard Boyz tournament, which was fine, as I got to see what my Bugs could do. I finished fourth (lost my second game to Mech Guard, after winning my first game against.......Mech Guard. Fighting back-to-back mech guard is like punching yourself in the face.......with a steel gauntlet). However, with all of the rules issue, my games were nightmares of figuring out rules, arguing rules, dicing for rules, etc.

Now I love playing Bugs. But here's my dilemma. I have a sizable Ork force too, and I know Orks also do very, very well at tournaments. I really like playing my Orks, and the Orks actually have enough FAQ's out to solve most of their rules issues (thank you for the Deff Rolla ruling, GW!). So which would you take?

And because this is important to me.......I play both lists very similarly. Charge forward and smash. And I get a LOT of fun out of playing both armies.

I would just like some friendly input, because right now, I really don't know which army to take. so Tyranid and Ork players......convince me.

Ph4lanx
22-03-2010, 22:59
Orks sounds like the army you would have least stress with mate. A tournament runs better when the general is concentrating on the game, not the rules of the game ;)

wazatdingder
22-03-2010, 23:08
I think the Nids will do well depending on what you got, 4th ain't bad, and tou got almost 2 months to make it better. Though if a lot of people play Nids in you zone than you may want to use orks. If not a lot of people play them then I would rather come at people with an unfamiliar force.

Bunnahabhain
22-03-2010, 23:08
Orks.

My gut feeling is they're more powerful. 'ard Boys gives you the space for nob bikers, KFF, green tide, and Rolla battle waggons.

I am also 100% certain that the lack of rules issues associated with the Orks will mean the games with them will be more fun for both sides.

Archangel_Ruined
22-03-2010, 23:42
If you've got enough models for a crazy huge hormagaunt tide with big bug support I think the nids will do just fine at a tournament, just steer clear of units that really do need FAQ's (doom for instance). Orks are always a solid choice though. I guess it depends on how much you want to win, how much hassle you want to avoid and which army is more fun to play with. Neither should be a liability though.

aquilius
22-03-2010, 23:51
Doesn't 'ard boys use the INAT faq? If it does I can't see why you couldn't use your 'nids.

Bestaltan
23-03-2010, 00:41
If you've got enough models for a crazy huge hormagaunt tide with big bug support I think the nids will do just fine at a tournament, just steer clear of units that really do need FAQ's (doom for instance).

That's the problem, though. Many of the solid Tyranid units (at least against mech guard, the template opposition list I'm modeling my army to beat) have those rules. For example, mawlocs are absolutely brutal to any mech guard army that castles. In fact, mawlocs can almost single-handedly win you that game if the guard player castles........IF the mawloc can use the rules as intended.......

Another thing in favor of the Orks is that I can run a speed freaks themed list and be able to deploy/move rapidly in a turn. Bugs don't get that, which slows down games and makes it harder for me to play.

jspyd3rx
23-03-2010, 00:42
WAAAGH!!!! I got both armies as well and have the same issues. I shelved my nids till thyey get a FAQ. I run 3x battlewagons, 10x nob bikers and fill rest with deff koptas. Still learning to run it though and the three games I have played I won by second turn. Too bad they were against necrons and tau. Back on topic; until they put a FAQ for nids, you will absolutely be arguing about the rules. I hate it and on second thought might sell my bugs to get some FW orky goodness.

Bestaltan
23-03-2010, 01:20
WAAAGH!!!! ............ I run 3x battlewagons, 10x nob bikers and fill rest with deff koptas.

I was thinking about running 6 battlewagons........:evilgrin:

But yea, now I'm leaning more towards Orks. Ard Boyz tournaments are tough enough without having to argue rules.

jspyd3rx
23-03-2010, 01:55
Amen brutha! What would yaput in 6x wagons?

Bestaltan
23-03-2010, 02:17
Oh, nothing much. Couple squads of nobs, a squad of mega nobs with a warboss, 3 units of 20 boyz with a nob, all covered by a KFF from the big mek. Nothing cheesy at all. :D

jspyd3rx
23-03-2010, 03:10
Simple and scary. I would only need 3 more battle wagons and 4 meganobs for that list. About 90 ork strong army. Boyz and big mek about 1k in points. Could be hard fitting the rest in looking at the points, but doable.

Bestaltan
23-03-2010, 03:19
It's a lot less than you would think. I'm still playing around with the list, but at 2500 points, I was still stuffing the list with lootas, a couple of trukk boy squads, deff koptas, etc.

Even with 6 battlewagons and all those nobz, I still had my FOC filled minus one fast attack.

jspyd3rx
23-03-2010, 03:35
Whaaat!? Please post when you can. I could use the help with my list as well.

velkore1134
23-03-2010, 07:15
I really don't see why you can't play both at the same time

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/9/11/52756_md-Conversion,%20Looted,%20Orks,%20Tyranids,%20Warham mer%2040,000.jpg

:)

GitzBlasta
23-03-2010, 13:31
Ahahahhaa that is awesome!!!

Creeping Dementia
23-03-2010, 16:14
Take the Orks, you've already said you do better with them, and both armies scale fine up to 2500.

Lord Malorne
23-03-2010, 16:14
Orks, nuff siad.

jspyd3rx
23-03-2010, 19:50
Too bad for nids. Can't do as well as a couple of years older dex. Too bad so many and myself can't really enjoy them till a FAQ gets released. I guess they all cant be uber awesome ork codexes. Ah well, krumpin stuff never get old.

Bestaltan
23-03-2010, 22:55
You guys convinced me. Orks it is. Time to get a-buildin' me some battlewagons!! Time to also convert some stuff, lots of stuff.

jy2
24-03-2010, 05:52
Might I suggest:

3x Tervigons w/upgrades
3x10 Termagaunts
2x Hive Guards
2x Venomthropes
2x Zoanthropes
9x Carnifexes

And scare the heck out of your opponents.