PDA

View Full Version : The Battle Standard - FLGS opening

x-esiv-4c
23-03-2010, 02:06
The Battle Standard

Introduction
Connecticut has taken a hit in the last few years. The GW closed it's doors in Manchester, Dragon's den shut down (in Springfield) and The Warsmith was dealt a fatal blow. It has been a hard time for a lot of FLGS and GWs alike, a lot of them in the New England area have closed down or moved away. However, a couple of enterprising individuals took a chance and opened up a new gaming store in Connecticut. The store is located in the place of the old GW shop in the Buckland Hills mall. It's a well lit, clean environment where you are never short of a pick up game or just hang around and talk about the hobby.

The product
The Battle Standard carries a wide range of GW products, Flames of War product, Privateer Press and many boardgames including Fantasy-Flight and Steve Jackson games. Magic the gathering cards and accessories are also being sold (in packs and rare singles). Product that they do not have on hand can be easily ordered.

The staff
Tommy Smith and Jared Brodeur have extensive backgrounds in war gaming over many systems and are avid hobbyists. Both have served and helped the local war gaming community, bringing new people into the hobby and working with grizzly vets alike. Tommy and Jared are excellent sources for modeling and conversion ideas and are always more then willing to show some tricks of the trade.

Gaming
Many hobby stores also function as areas to play wargames. The Battle Standard features 8 full size gaming tables. Each table has 2 coat hangers and cup holders (it's the little things...). Terrain is currently being custom built by the staff as well as the assistance of several Golden Daemon winners. The combination of talent will bring a truly unique gaming experience. Upcoming tables are to feature flowing water, extensive LED networks, apocalypse and cityscapes.
Magic the gathering and Warlord events are being held on a weekly basis. Board-game nights are also being planned.
An extensive event calendar is generated each month to determine what will be going on in the store, everything from Apocalypse battles to speed-painting competitions will be hosted.

A flash for the website has been put up
http://www.thebattlestandard.com/
And a forum for the store will be online shortly.

From personal experience, this is an excellent store and a terrific community supporting it. If you happen to be in the CT area, drop by and check it out.

-Unusually coherent Xesiv4c.

Inquisitor Engel
23-03-2010, 02:29
This looks EXCELLENT.

You're very GW heavy, which IMHO might lead to issues in the future, but I really hope you do well. I see some Flames of War stuff in the last pic, which is good. Diversification is good here, but it looks like you've focused on the hobby aspect, which is great.

I would shop there if I lived in the area. The place looks great, just remember, it's a store not just a hangout!

x-esiv-4c
23-03-2010, 03:24
I'm not involved in the running of the store, i'm just trying to get the word out and Warseer has such a diverse following, I figured hey...maybe someone might be able to use this news :)

ICEMANQ
23-03-2010, 07:20
This looks EXCELLENT.

You're very GW heavy, which IMHO might lead to issues in the future, but I really hope you do well. I see some Flames of War stuff in the last pic, which is good. Diversification is good here, but it looks like you've focused on the hobby aspect, which is great.

I would shop there if I lived in the area. The place looks great, just remember, it's a store not just a hangout!

Awesome looking shop but I must stress the boldified part in the quote:)

Grey Man
23-03-2010, 17:42
Smartest thing I've ever seen in a game store is a place near me that sells food too. It's in a strip mall, folks passing by stop in for a bite, gamers eat, it's a great business model.

x-esiv-4c
23-03-2010, 17:44
That is quite an interesting business model. TBS sells drinks (coke,gatorade etc) and snacks. It's certainly nice to have such things on hand.

DaBrode
23-03-2010, 23:24
First I'd like to say thanks for the write-up! My name is Jared and I'm one of the owners of The Battle Standard and I can say we are working feverishly to get all of the things mentioned above completed in good time.

Our emphasis at this time is getting a large selection of stock on the shelves and I must say that it's coming along nicely. The majority of popular tabletop games are represented and there's only more of that to come. Magic the Gathering and Warlord Saga of the Storm CCGs have joined the list and several great board and card games beyond that as well.

A close second to the stock is the creation of great gaming terrain. This is a really big deal to me and I'll be pushing this hard until it's up to my personal standards (if my partners don't kill me in the process :angel:). We want people to be stunned by the options and the quality of our gaming tables. Terrain is the most important component to making that happen.

Let me take a moment to respond to the comment above... "remember, it's a store not just a hangout!" You could not be more correct. I can assure you that from experience, as a customer to that environment, that is NOT what you will find at The Battle Standard. We understand that not everyone wants to frequent their neighbor's basement to play a game or visit a mom-and-pop-shop to buy their mini's. Those businesses have their place, but it's not us. The Battle Standard IS a retail location, sharing space with major retail outlets in a major shopping mall and every component is in place to run it as such. We are aiming high with many fresh ideas to help grow the gaming community and rejuvenate the veterans due to the lull they may have felt with the closing of previous gaming venues. Those venues that still exist have been or will be contacted to offer participation in cross store events and tournaments and we really hope they decide to partake in the fun.

We welcome any comments or suggestions and hope that everyone that is within reach make the effort to stop in and see what it is we are accomplishing.

Thanks everyone!

CaliforniaGamer
25-03-2010, 20:25
I wish you the best of luck. I was toying with the idea of opening a local gaming shop.

?s:
Does the mall location put a limitation on your business hours?
I assume your $/SF price for the mall location was factored into the financial forecasting, was it a big concern tho?

I was considering a biz model where we had not only light snacks and drinks but a limited liquor lic as well for adult gaming Fri-Sat (and perhaps some 21&over nights) but have been told that would difficult to swing in CA.

It looks absolutely top notch. Very lucky for the people in your community who are avid gamers.

Did you rely on any internet resources, blogs or other stuff one could read about the trials/pitfalls of opening a shop like this?

DaBrode
26-03-2010, 01:58
I've been fortunate enough to see it done wrong in the past, though my gaming life has suffered as a result :), so we are taking a different approach.

The malls these days are hurting for tenants and this allows for some great deals on rent. Negotiate! And it affects our hours in that we must be open when the mall is open...however if we want to stay later we can as long as it's arranged in advance.

Thank you for the well wishes and should you choose to take a shot at it I would return the same! If you are interested in following us more regularly we are on Facebook.