PDA

View Full Version : Help Tips for Painting?

Vox-Grill
23-03-2010, 12:07
I'm painting my first Chaos Space Marine, or at least I was last night. The paints that I am using are Model Master Acryl paints. Any, first I applied a coat of what primer. After it dried I applied more paint where there was the dark gray plastic showing. After that second layer dried, I painted the whole model sand (tan color) just like it says in the codex followed by painting the details different colors. However, by the time I finished barely any of the details were noticeable. What do I have to do to keep the detail? Use less paint? Dilute it in water?

ctsteel
23-03-2010, 12:44
It does sound like your paint was too thick - the general advice is to water it to the consistency of milk, then apply in fairly thin layers, without necessarily worrying about getting it completely covered with the first coat.

There is a Modelling and Painting subsection which would be better suited to this type of question, there's also a sticky thread with plenty of common tips and advice, linked to here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6183)

Hunger
23-03-2010, 14:09
Two thin coats is always better than one thick one.

Also, it is not always a problem if there is a little grey plastic showing through the undercoat layer - the primer is exactly that, a primer, which allows the basecoat (the colour layer) to stick to the model better.

A couple of thin layers of basecoat will cover no problem. Games Workshop's Foudation paint range is also to be highly recommended - they are formulated to cover everything in one coat, and while that may not always be true they do require less layers than most other paint brands.

Good luck on your next one!