PDA

View Full Version : Jokaero "counts as" army list

Ramon
23-03-2010, 13:15
I was discussing with friends from my gaming group on which codex can fit better to put a list to represent a jokaero group. From what I remember the jokaero were able to produce the best tech on the galaxy and used a lot of energy fields.

Initially i was thinking on either eldar or tau, after a while we thought that tau will be best since you can field a very reduced group with impressive firepower and energy shields and not much close combat skills.

We also found some AT43 miniatures of apes in armour that we can use.

Any ideas-suggestions on this?

Godzooky
23-03-2010, 13:34
I was discussing with friends from my gaming group on which codex can fit better to put a list to represent a jokaero group. From what I remember the jokaero were able to produce the best tech on the galaxy and used a lot of energy fields.

Initially i was thinking on either eldar or tau, after a while we thought that tau will be best since you can field a very reduced group with impressive firepower and energy shields and not much close combat skills.

We also found some AT43 miniatures of apes in armour that we can use.

Any ideas-suggestions on this?

Model-wise. I'm currently trying a test conversion for a Jokaero using an Ogre Kingdoms Yhetee model. I'm planning on using an Ork's head and GSing a King Louie-esque gob and crazy hair to Orangutanify that sumbitch.

cptmachine
23-03-2010, 13:43
Well Jokaeros are just really smart apes so anything like that should work. I would imagine they dont go offworld alot due to restrictions the Imperium will place upon them but given the stupid amount of tech they have access to their armour would be mostly like terminator and guns like pulse rifles if they ever appeared on the battlefield.

Godzooky
23-03-2010, 13:55
Well Jokaeros are just really smart apes so anything like that should work. I would imagine they dont go offworld alot due to restrictions the Imperium will place upon them but given the stupid amount of tech they have access to their armour would be mostly like terminator and guns like pulse rifles if they ever appeared on the battlefield.

From what little I've read of them they are more like Orks in that they have an innate understanding of tech. However, they use it more for solving particular problems when they arise rather than waging constant war. I don't see them making armour. They pretty much live like apes, but just have ridiculous abilities to overcome challenges. They make tiny, albeit hugely powerful, digital weapons if anything.

I imagine Jokaero as a bunch of latent Stephen Hawkings who spend most of their time munching fleas off each other's backs until they need to get something done.

TimLeeson
23-03-2010, 15:55
I may get flamed for it, but blood angel sanguinary guard sounds a bit jokaeroish with the wrist-mounted weaponry..seems a bit similar to the digital weapons the jokaero put on their fingers..or maybe im speaking out of my behind :D either way, sounds like an AWESOME project and the minor-race fanatic in me would love to see what you do modelling wise!

Lord Damocles
23-03-2010, 16:05
I'd go for Orks.

Going by the stats for Jokaero in Rogue Trader, there isn't really a current army which suits them particularly stat-wise (they were generally worse than humans), and given the severe lack of information on them it's difficult to say what their 'armies' would look like.

Personally I'd take Big Meks as Partiarchs/Matriarchs with either KFF (power field generator) or SAG (Macro Cannon thingy), backed up by Burnas, Lootas, and Shootas (Jokaero don't like close combat too much), then maybe a few Trukks and/or Looted Wagons for them to ride about in and shoot out of.

Ramon
23-03-2010, 17:20
The problem with orks is that they are actually good at close combat, from what i read Jokaero just prefer to fire.

On the space faring; well thei actually build ships that look like gigan geometrical structures without any engine, travelling trough space by altering the geometry of their ship.

A concept very interesting and probablly linket with the superchord theory?

incomplete
28-03-2010, 00:16
the main thing about the Jokaero is the only accounts of them in the fluff that I know of are from the Imperial perspective. sure, the ordo xenos says they have no communication and that they build tech as idiot savants, but why do we think that's true? Xenology is a flawed account of alien species. maybe the Jokaero just don't want to talk to humans. maybe they're telepathic. maybe they know as long as they play nice, they can avoid getting sucked into the grimdark that humans have all around them. i also like the at43 apemen. it could be the jokaero have some variety in their species. the orangutan types are engineers, gorilla types are fighters. could be, right?

anyway, i'm working on an idea of a minor race federation army, with jokaero, demiurg, thyrrus, and umbra. maybe some rogue eldar and tau and non-imperial humans (Interex) as well.

Doppleskanger
28-03-2010, 02:14
Incomplete has it right, certainly in terms of the original RT fluff. Jokaero aren't a normal sentient species. You just leave them with a pile of stuff and they turn it into high tech equipment, but it could be of any type or size, and they don't take orders. So something like the mechboy fungal strain (?) but noticeably less concious. Taking the original RT idea and turning that into an army would be pretty hard. You may as well try and make an army of those living face cloth parasite things that like to ambush you in the shower. Seriously lots of the RT stuff only makes sense in terms of that game being a hybrid RPG/tabletop game run by a DM. Modelling them, you would have lots of options, fielding them in 5th ed? Meh...

Hellebore
28-03-2010, 02:26
Go with Tau. They have worse stats than humans (just as Jokaero do) and have good equipment.

However, make things like battlesuit robots they've created to fight for them. Don't use any kroot.

A jokaero wouldn't use anything so mundane as armour, they'd make field generators that bend time and tell incoming enemy fire that they don't exist yet and make them disappear in a puff of logic.

I think a great and characterful jokaero fire warrior unit would look like naked orangutans with a sack over their shoulder full of bits and a random contraption in their hands used as a weapon.

The ethereal would be the jokaero troop leader.

Go nuts.

Hellebore

wazatdingder
28-03-2010, 02:26
I imagine jokaero are much like the aliens in district 9. But, they have gone the way of the squat as far as armies go. A squad is ok, I use squats for a ST squad, but I doubt they could make an entire army in any reasonable way.

ctsteel
28-03-2010, 03:10
I would have expected (fluff wise) that in the time it takes for an enemy force to approach in the vicinity of the jokaero, they would have already snap-invented some fancy means of shielding their whole community or simply teleporting through a rift to a new world away from the dangerous creatures moving in - they don't stick around to fight, and don't act in a co-ordinated manner to use their devices, they simply build whatever serves their immediate need (which in this case you'd expect to be escape). I thought they were described as being passive to the point of docile?

However info (especially in terms of what I've read) is limited, and perhaps the community is caught unawares with nowhere to escape or is protecting its young, so feels compelled to be more aggressive. Hellebore's idea of mech robots/automated defences doing the fighting works with this, I just can't (myself) see them as doing the fighting themselves (especially as a mobile co-ordinated force actively taking fights to other people), they aren't really made to do that. But again, the galaxy is a big place and perhaps the Old Ones programmed in some sort of sentience switch if a set of criteria were met (enough jokaero in one place to act as a critical mass, desperate measures etc). Then once the threat is over and the jokaero disperse naturally, they revert to previous genetic programming (docile and animal-like).

In short - have fun with your project and keep us updated as to what you go with :)

Ramon
29-03-2010, 01:42
Thanks for the different imput you gave me. I already ordered the AT43 gorillas... and will use the tau list for a mechanized approach. Unfortunatelly i cant get apes without armour... so the firewarriors will still be armourred gorillas.

I'll let your know if i get anything on the conversion side.