PDA

View Full Version : Best case of misfortune ever?

PhilArmstrong
23-03-2010, 16:15
Hi,
Just thought I'd share:

Last night playing against Ogres for the first time. He had 2 or 3 butchers I can't remember and in his first turn cast a load of the 'remains in play' spells to make a few units stubborn and regen. My 2nd turn, Chaos Knights charge into 3 ironguts and a tyrant, who have that special rule, bit suicidal as if they didn't break them had a giant pointed at one flank and some bulls at the other.

My magic phase I roll a miscast, 10 on the table, with infernal puppet drop it to the one that cancels all remains in play spells. Bang goes stubborn, bang go the ironguts and tyrant, game over by turn 4.

Anyone else had any really lucky bad things happen to them? Its little things like that which keep the game really interesting I think!

Daump
23-03-2010, 18:11
A couple of weeks ago, my Skaven vs double Hydra DE list.

After a very successful first turn Warpfire cannon shot that killed a hydra and some Cold Ones, he has a block of tricked out Black Guard now within charge range of a couple of clanrat units as well as the cannon. To close to shoot at with the cannon, I elect to aim elsewhere.

Misfire, Str 10, Large Template, Scatter Dice, 4D6 range. Scatters right towards the Black Guard, then rolls a 7 on 4 dice and lands the large template dead center of the block.

The one Black Guard remaining did not survive being charged by 30 clanrats.

Ultimate Life Form
23-03-2010, 18:36
That's just hilarious! :D

beastly
23-03-2010, 19:08
Yesterday I watched a unit of dark elf spearmen (19) charge a toughness 5 unit of chosen (10), with Festus and a chaos lord on jugger and win by 3, and ran them down LOL. The DE player did get the spell that reduces the enemies WS to 1. But still it was an amazing feat and i almost fell off my chair laughing.

Desert Rain
23-03-2010, 19:34
A skaven player fires his cannon (in 6th) against a stegadon and misfires. He rolls the "spins around and fires with full power result". The cannon was positioned on the furthermost right flank with his entire army covering the table all along his board edge. He rolls the scatter dice fearing the extermination of his battle line. Instead the shot lands right on the stegadon and a skink priest that's hiding behind it and kills both.

shelfunit.
23-03-2010, 19:38
A vamp with the Mv 9 talisman charges out of his unit into my organ gun crew. I can't elect to flee and if he hits me and gets behind my lines the game is effectively over. I roll double 6 on the fear test, he fails the charge and next turn the bolt throwers and everything else dust him. Fang-tastic.

Tarian
23-03-2010, 19:39
Lone HE mage gets caught by the Black Guard after an overrun. Knowing they have the Ring of Hotek, I throw as many dice as I can at Drain Magic, he miscasts (for obvious reasons) and proceeds to blow up the Black Guard Champion (and ring!) and a couple others in a horrific explosion. Unfortunately, the mage did not survive.

Malorian
23-03-2010, 19:42
A vamp with the Mv 9 talisman charges out of his unit into my organ gun crew. I can't elect to flee and if he hits me and gets behind my lines the game is effectively over. I roll double 6 on the fear test, he fails the charge and next turn the bolt throwers and everything else dust him. Fang-tastic.

I don't know if this is what you are trying to say, but double 6's wouldn't have made you flee as you outnumber, and even if you did he could still hit the machine.

Tarian
23-03-2010, 19:44
I don't know if this is what you are trying to say, but double 6's wouldn't have made you flee as you outnumber, and even if you did he could still hit the machine.

Maybe he had that Terror Causing thingamajig? (That would at least solve the running away part)

Malorian
23-03-2010, 19:46
Assuming he was still out of range of the machine.

The Red Scourge
23-03-2010, 20:18
A lone goblin shaman holding 6 Khorne Knights locked in combat for 3 turns and just refusing to break ???

Alltaken
23-03-2010, 20:32
a unit of 10 skink skirms holding a vargulf for like 3 turns. Lovely

FailSafe07
23-03-2010, 20:42
My cannon misfiring twice in a row when I absolutely HAD to kill my opponents disc sorc...

Malorian
23-03-2010, 20:44
I think people aren't getting the idea of this thread.

The idea is something bad happening that turned out to be something good.

Like in a game I watched where a hellblaster misfired and blew up while killing some dark riders, but then it turned out shadowblade had been hiding in that hellblaster so he was dead too. ;)

Dantès
23-03-2010, 21:38
5 chaos knights of khorne charge my 30 clanrats with warlord, I lose combat by 1 after all things considered, they get overrun and the Khorne knights smash into a unit of just over 10 slaves. The knights whiff, skaven slaves kill 3, the unit runs, and the slaves chase them down. This was on turn 5 after quite a bloody game, where only a unit of 20 marauders with great weapons, a disc sorc were left for him, a warlock engineer and that unit of slaves left for me.

The warlock engineer proceeds to irresistible force cast skitterleap to put him into position to kill the tzeentch sorc with warp lightning, but rolls a one on the hits and dies. Great weapon marauders charge the Skaven slaves, after Disc sorc kills 2 in magic phase, kill one, but lost 4 (!) in return, break, and get run down. This was bottom of third.

It would have been a draw, except I had taken the marauder and knights banners, which gave me a victory! :evilgrin:

ooglatjama
23-03-2010, 21:50
My Truthsayer just had to get off the unbreakable spell on this one unit. I found out the opponent had the ring of hotek and I miscast. I was just about to rage when suddenly I rolled 12 and the spell went off and he couldn't stop it. I didn't need that spell afterwords anyway.

outbreak
23-03-2010, 22:39
my skaven vs a woodies army all on about turn 3

doomwheel rolls it's distance falls about 2" short of the opponents treekin (the ogre sized treees) and looks like it'll be getting charged next turn, Come shooting phase it misfires takes some wounds and goes out of control and rolls the scatter perfectly into the treekin and obliterates them :P

i then shoot my WLC it misfires and rolls up the result where it shoots s10 in random direction, it lands on top of some dryads and it's template kills the entire unit of 7-8 dryads.

GitzBlasta
23-03-2010, 23:17
I was playing a 500pt game against an Empire army and my 5 Wolf Riders with spears were running behind his handgunners to make them turn around, then moving away, making them turn again etc etc etc when he had enough and so moved a regiment of halberdiers to counter, i obviously wanted to move away to avoid being munched in combat but I rolled a 6 for animosity and charged the halberdiers. This was not what I wanted to do, but i won the combat by 1 and broke the halberdiers, ran them down and caused his entire army except his cannon to run off the board in panic.

Stupid goblins saved the day!

Soulshade
23-03-2010, 23:18
Empire (me) Vs Vamps 2000 pt Tourny warm up game.
Turn 1 he flew a dragon with vamp lord down the my flank at my warmachines and gunners. Using that spell they have he got a charge on them on turn 1. Im thinking crap, best start packing up now as hes gunna just chew through my artillery and gunners. I fled with the unit he charged... either way they where going to die. He caught them killing them and a wizard with em.

Now the flee reaction had actualy just stopped right infront of my Waralter leaving the dragon about 3 inches away. Well I charged him, VHSed the dragons stats and proceeded to smack the living cr*p outa him. Killing it before it could even fight back. Anyhow by turn 3 he had crumbled :)

Rick_1138
25-03-2010, 16:35
One that stands out in my career as a gamer, at a wps tournament playing fantasy.

I had my wood elves, he had skaven, quite a lot of infantry units etc and warp canon.

I get first turn, so I elect to use the dragon mounted lords ability of cloak of the woods, basically allows bearer to teleport to any wood within 24" in the movement phase.

I did this, into the woods on the flank of his army line, rats now have a terror causer within 12", they test.....fail.

As a result they flee, but they have to do this away from the cause, so they run into the next unit, which also fails leadership...they flee, into next unit....you can see a pattern!

At the end of the worst leadership roles I have ever witnessed, there were 2 infantry units, a warp cannon and a hero left.......

I had yet to roll more than 2 dice.

He got a bit pissy, his mate appeared to advise (which is very bad form in tourneys), he says that's not right, so I get a judge over, explained what happened (he also played woodies) he looked at the rats off the table laughed and shook my hand.

Game time 5 mins, dice rolled 2, outcome massacre.

shelfunit.
25-03-2010, 17:49

Maybe he had that Terror Causing thingamajig? (That would at least solve the running away part)

:eek:

EDIT: The real bad luck that helped here was that neither myself or my opponent knew how to play the damn game properly it seems.....

Must read rule book...
Must read rule book...

AFnord
25-03-2010, 19:03
Recent one:
WE against skaven. My opponent has some weapon teams that I really have to get rid of. Casts the 2nd WE spell (the damage spell), miscasts, double 6. Spell goes of with irresistible force. I might have lost the spell, but that was the only good target for it anyway!

And here is one where my opponent suffered a case of "good" misfortune. Tournament game, LM (me) vs Dwarfs. Dwarf player targets my steggadon with his catapult, scatters. Splat, right on my general skink who was standing behind my lines. Next turn, catapult fires at my steggadon, scatters and splat, there goes my priest.

grumbaki
25-03-2010, 19:13
Lone HE mage gets caught by the Black Guard after an overrun. Knowing they have the Ring of Hotek, I throw as many dice as I can at Drain Magic, he miscasts (for obvious reasons) and proceeds to blow up the Black Guard Champion (and ring!) and a couple others in a horrific explosion. Unfortunately, the mage did not survive.

This was a brilliant tactic, bravo.

Lord Inquisitor
25-03-2010, 20:00
Not an example of a good misfortune, but a bad good fortune. I was watching a game where a unit of knights was in combat with a unit of skavenslaves. The Skaven player had maneuvered his units in such a way that if the slaves fled (or rather, exploded), he could charge the knights in his turn and avoid the knight's charge. The slaves tested and despite having a negative Ld ... insane courage. The slaves, having done their bit, promptly fled the next turn, allowing the knights to charge.

Sand
25-03-2010, 20:08
:eek:

EDIT: The real bad luck that helped here was that neither myself or my opponent knew how to play the damn game properly it seems.....

Must read rule book...
Must read rule book...Well, at least it gave us a good story :)

FORtheGREATERgood
25-03-2010, 22:11
Probably not my best case of misfortune but the only one I can remember at the moment. My empire were up against WoC. My helblaster Volley Gun just misfired and unloaded 30 shots into his warhound screen. The helblaster was blocking line of sight for some other shooting units, and after wiping out the screen, I was able to cause some serious casualties to the unit he was hiding, aiding in my solid victory.

Imperial Vampire
25-03-2010, 22:19
From Soulshade: Well I charged him, VHSed the dragons stats...

Just a detail... you cannot VHS the dragon, only characters. On the other hand, the vampire lord on top of the dragon have stats that are almost as interesting as the dragon itself.

Xynok
25-03-2010, 23:37
A friend of mine rolled 7 1s on 2+ armour. That was pretty special

Kriptrikk
26-03-2010, 10:36
I got a brilliant result out of misfortune about a year ago with my Skaven (old rules obviously)

Playing my first game against a chaos player, he had a giant two chariots a unit of ogres and a lot of cavalry, with one small block of warriors footslogging down to mop up.

On turn two I decided to throw most of my rnf units at his Giant hoping to overwhelm him with static combat res, not realising giants were stubborn:( He took the charge from two units of 25 clanrats and a unit of 25 slaves and held.

Next turn his chariots cavalry and ogres charged my slaves smashed them to pieces causing most of my army to run and get destroyed! But heres the best part his whole army over ran and stopped in two neat lines right in sight of my two warp lightning cannons. My turn I roll there range and strength and both cannons roll strength 8 and enough range to go through every single one of them! Killing every single model lols!

This left 15 warriors stranded in the middle of the field with 10 jezzails two warplightning cannons a unit of stormvermin and a unit of plaguemonks itching to rip them apart!

Best tactical error ive ever and probably will ever make!

Kriptrikk

shelfunit.
26-03-2010, 13:16
@ Kriptrikk - it also sounds like a very Skaveny outcome as well :)

Jagosaja
26-03-2010, 16:17
I played as VC against my friends HE. He had a mage in a unit of Ellyrian Reavers that was seriously bugging me all the game, so I decided to fet rid of him ASAP. Charged him with my Varghulf, he fled and I hadn't caught him by two inches. DAMN I thought, but the special thing was that he fled right behind his Tiranoc Chariot which held the ground, the three units now forming a perfect line. As you may guess, Chariot failed a Terror test and proceeded to trample the poor Mage and his unit to a bloody pulp.

static grass
26-03-2010, 17:01
I once had a Gyrocopter get shot down and then crash on a unit of Phoenix guard. Oh the lamentation. :D

beaumontbrawler
26-03-2010, 21:37
My opponent cast the 13th Spell against my general's unit . . . then rolled double 6 on the miscast chart, wiping nearly my entire unit.

Nocculum
27-03-2010, 00:35
I think people aren't getting the idea of this thread.

The idea is something bad happening that turned out to be something good.

Like in a game I watched where a hellblaster misfired and blew up while killing some dark riders, but then it turned out shadowblade had been hiding in that hellblaster so he was dead too. ;)

Rofl, this is win.

Describe, in intricate detail the expression on your opponent's face? :evilgrin:

magikjoka
27-03-2010, 04:36
Well not exactly a lucky bad thing, but here is my story.
My alter wood elf noble with magic arrow that does 3D shots was left forgotten amongest the tree terrain. My friend's pretty chunky block of empire great swords with warrior priest and captain was having fun chopping my dryads. By this time i was like "damn they are gonna rape few more dryads before i charge them with wild riders" than i realized my long forgotten since turn one alter noble 10inch away from my friend's unit.
I used up my magic arrow got 18 shots killed about 9 caused panic he failed ran toward my dryads and wiped. It was pretty funny to be honest people who were watching game started to laugh when my friend cleared his great swords from field