PDA

View Full Version : New to this.

christopher2
24-03-2010, 06:59
Im just new to warhammer 40k and i would like to know how much points are the main units for space wolves?:confused:

Onidan
24-03-2010, 07:15
IIRC posting point values is against the forum rules. Copyright and all that...

Born Again
24-03-2010, 07:17
Yes, points values may not be posted. Also, define "main units" and what upgrades you intend them to have. Most importantly, buy the codex.

SandQueen
24-03-2010, 07:23
Go get the codex maybe?

GrimZAG
24-03-2010, 07:46
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat200028a&prodId=prod170003a

although this is for australia

EldritchRaider
24-03-2010, 10:05
Leave this guy alone haha
If you really want to get into the game, you are gooing to have to get yourself a space wolves codex, and if you haven't, the most recent rulebook.
Also I suggest going to a local store if you can, and having a chat with the staff there and they ought to be pretty helpful in getting you started- it's their job.
Good luck with your Space Wolves and getting into the game :)

ctsteel
24-03-2010, 10:08
Do pick up the codex or at least look it over in a store before deciding if you want to go with SW as your army.

But to give you a rough guide, have a look at this article from the GW site with a couple of sample SW armies, including points and some rough tactics for use.
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=cat200015a&aId=2500007a

christopher2
24-03-2010, 10:34
thanks guys for the help i didnt know you couldnt put up the points
and i dont have any money right now so thats y i dont have it.
and i will look at it before i buy it.:D

christopher2
30-03-2010, 08:26
:confused:ive been thinking and i dont know if i will go with the space wolves. can some people tell me what i should get ill think it over. i just need help on who to pick

SandQueen
30-03-2010, 08:36
:confused:ive been thinking and i dont know if i will go with the space wolves. can some people tell me what i should get ill think it over. i just need help on who to pick

Well that depends on what you want your army to do and how you like to fight. Space wolves do best up in someone's face and jamming a knife in their belly or an axe in their face while screaming. If that appeals to you then go with them

BigRob
30-03-2010, 08:40
thanks guys for the help i didnt know you couldnt put up the points
and i dont have any money right now so thats y i dont have it.
and i will look at it before i buy it.:D

Didn't you read the T&C before signing up to your Warseer account? :p

Best option is get to a GW and explain to the staff your new and like Space Wolves. Get an intro game or two and have a chat. They will try and push you into buying stuff but all you need to start is a codex and Big rulebook.

After that you can either try :pand plan an army or just buy a few units that look cool and work from there.

Good luck.

christopher2
30-03-2010, 08:54
thanks but i would like to hear about some other armies aswell and i dont have a GW in my city:cries: so i dont think u can ask about them do u think other hobby shops would know??

Firmlog
30-03-2010, 09:06
well you have to tell us what you want in an army, i presume you chose space wolves cause you like the models, or maybe wolves, or the fluff and pictures. You have to give us something to go on there is simply too much to just start posting all the armies and styles of play...

Of course, you can find out a lot by going to the Games Workshop website and read up on the different armies, they have many articles on playstyles, modeling, fluff, painting and building armies. Look at that then let us know how you feel about them.

christopher2
30-03-2010, 09:09
ok thanks
i think i want to go for close up with somthing to support them in case of tanks would that help in any way?

Firmlog
30-03-2010, 09:17
still too broad a topic. Almost all armies can deal close up fighting.

Vermin-thing
30-03-2010, 09:23
Wile somewhat annoying the GW site is packed with good information about allot of the things that you will need to start.

0.01: I take it that it is your first time on a forum? Wile I don't want to sound rude, people respond better to better posts. Like the more you invest, the more benefit you will reap in the end sort of thing. Posts starting with: "Hey I'm Jimbob, and I would like some help choosing an army..." Vs the former. Wile the fluff and back-story is cool and all, go for the models that look the best to you, because in a month or two you don't want to say: "Dang I hate these models". The latter is the #1 mistake a new hobbyist can make.

0.09: Don't worry about buying the right codex right off the bat. The biggest mistake that I made in my nub years was that I bought my first army -Nids, and then I got interested in the rest of the fluff, leaving me with an army and only one piece of background. Don't let yourself get walled in and be open to exploration of the game universe. The black library is a good place to start. Codex daemon hunters is a good example, it's good for more than just an army. The background is very immersing and can help to broaden your understanding.

0.1: Close up supported by tanks? I.G. and Space Marines both play like that. Don't rush choosing your first army. Take some time to get your hands on models from a few ranges that you like and see witch "jive" and how. < This will become very clear.

0.4: Do you know anyone who plays? Getting to know the game and how you play is an important aspect of the hobby. Try playing a few armies with counts as models with a friend. This will save you allot of time and effort in the future.

1: Go take the academy class at a GW if at all possible. They will teach you almost all you need to know about painting, molding, and gaming.

2: Money, GW prices are going out of hand as of late. Try to get models from other sources, though using a credit card is not the best.

The Ginger Ninja
30-03-2010, 09:34
Try going here (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/landing.jsp?catId=cat1490545&rootCatGameStyle=wh40k), along the left side there is a list click on "Warhammer 40,000 armies. it should then list a whole lot of army names, clicking on one will give you a brief overview of that army.

ok thanks
i think i want to go for close up with somthing to support them in case of tanks would that help in any way?
I'm looking at the new blood angels? due to be released on the 4th of april.
Also good grammar is looked favorably on in this forum

Just a tip from me, go with an army that appeals to you, there is nothing worse than spending a couple of hundred [insert currency here] on something that you don't really like and will end up being sold/trashed/box-in-the-back-of-the-cupboard. For example, You may be looking for something like space wolves, with lots of close combat, but the whole viking theme might not appeal to you.

Also heads up, don't ask for points values of stat-lines, as the mods aren't (generally:shifty:) happy with that (for good reason) :angel:

Edit: Damn it Vermin-thing, you sneaky ninja... :)

SandQueen
30-03-2010, 09:38
Wile somewhat annoying the GW site is packed with good information about allot of the things that you will need to start.

0.01: I take it that it is your first time on a forum? Wile I don't want to sound rude, people respond better to better posts. Like the more you invest, the more benefit you will reap in the end sort of thing. Posts starting with: "Hey I'm Jimbob, and I would like some help choosing an army..." Vs the former. Wile the fluff and back-story is cool and all, go for the models that look the best to you, because in a month or two you don't want to say: "Dang I hate these models". The latter is the #1 mistake a new hobbyist can make.

0.02: Don't worry about buying the right codex right off the bat. The biggest mistake that I made in my nub years was that I bought my first army -Nids, and then I got interested in the rest of the fluff, leaving me with an army and only one piece of background. Don't let yourself get walled in and be open to exploration of the game universe. The black library is a good place to start. Codex daemon hunters is a good example, it's good for more than just an army. The background is very immersing and can help to broaden your understanding.

Codex Witch Hunters and Demon Hunters are great for fluff. They follow the perfect approach of explaining what the important groups are and then dumping a truckload of other stuff right in your lap and letting you pick and choose what, if anything, you want to include. Necrons also allude to alot.

But yes, one really good method is to think about how you would like to run an army and what models appeal to you. Most armies can do a variety of things, some do things better than others. For example both Eldar and Marines can do close combat but Eldar have superior initiative while marines hit harder and can survive more of a beating in return.

Definetly check out the GW, there's a wealth of information there and if anything since you're on the forum now you might want to ask people questions. Go poking around the project logs and find who plays what and then PM them about it.

Vermin-thing
30-03-2010, 09:48
Try going [http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/landing.jsp?catId=cat1490545&rootCatGameStyle=wh40k]here[/URL], along the left side there is a list click on "Warhammer 40,000 armies. it should then list a whole lot of army names, clicking on one will give you a brief overview of that army.

I'm looking at the new blood angels? due to be released on the 4th of april.
Also good grammar is looked favorably on in this forum

Just a tip from me, go with an army that appeals to you, there is nothing worse than spending a couple of hundred [insert currency here] on something that you don't really like and will end up being sold/trashed/box-in-the-back-of-the-cupboard. For example, You may be looking for something like space wolves, with lots of close combat, but the whole viking theme might not appeal to you.

Also heads up, don't ask for points values of stat-lines, as the mods aren't (generally:shifty:) happy with that (for good reason) :angel:

Edit: Damn it Vermin-thing, you sneaky ninja... :)

Ha, slightly ironic coming from you. Also I was ninja'd by Firmlog.

Another point I'd like to make is, how good of a painter are you as different armies can offer different painting challenges. Take for example: Eldar, they are sleek, and require fine freehand work, more so on the vehicles. Like so: http://www.warseer.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3733 Make a point of checking out the incredibly rich gallery here at warseer and see which army you are inspired by.

Firmlog
30-03-2010, 09:56
If you want Ninja's you must play fantasy... lol

yeah guess I snuck in there. I really want to help out but don't really want to type entire summaries of every SM armies and how any army can go CC.

christopher2
30-03-2010, 10:35
ok well i like the looks of space wolves.
im not that great of a painter so i cant really get elder to look really good.
i think i really need to look at the space wolves codex that will help me alot.
i dont have a GW neer me so i dont think i can do some of the pianing things there.
so i think i will go for space wolves even if i dont like how they play ill keep them because i love how they look so thanks alot every 1.

Simo429
30-03-2010, 10:38
im not that great of a painter so i cant really get elder to look really good.
i think i really need to look at the space wolves codex that will help me alot.
i dont have a GW neer me so i dont think i can do some of the pianing things there.
so i think i will go for space wolves even if i dont like how they play ill keep them because i love how they look so thanks alot every 1.

you can paint a good spacewolves force with just 5 or 6 paints and washes and some simple techniques

i do mine
sprayed black
coat of foundation astromicon grey
heavy wash of blue
dry brush of a 1:1 mix of fortress and spacewolves grey
then the general touch ups with spot colours

i generally get compliments on them at my gaming group and i certainly wouldnt consider myself any more than a competant painter

Firmlog
30-03-2010, 19:17
SW are far simpler to paint than that.

Prime black.

Base smooth layer of Shadow Grey, one of the best painting colors GW has.

Line edges with fortress grey.

looks just like the boxes. Of course the reds and yellows will be a little more difficult. either way.

The Ginger Ninja
30-03-2010, 20:42
Thats good, its better to like the look of an army rather than how they function.
you said before something about liking in-your-face-close-combat with anti tank support? i think SW are for you then

i dont have a GW neer me so i dont think i can do some of the pianing things try looking around, my city (or even the south island) does not have a GW, but the local comic book store and one of the many toyworlds sell gw products

ctsteel
31-03-2010, 03:27
If you like the look of the space wolves, but aren't sure about the codex and how the units work and their point costs etc, you can also use the SW models with the regular Space Marine codex and have them as a different chapter (either a later founding from the wolves with more restraint, or a completely different chapter who just happen to like using animal pelts etc). And you can choose any colour you want for the paint job as well.

I guess it mainly boils down at this point to whether you're leaning towards a space marine army (of any flavour) or one of the other races in the game.

christopher2
31-03-2010, 06:17
well i think i will go with the space wolves thanks every again for the help. if any one has some pics can u some how show me please.:D

Firmlog
31-03-2010, 06:46
Trying to fight the urge.... well I don't want to be a douche so here is some links, Left click your mouse on them.

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m290011a_P1Mb1.jpg

Eh, changed my mind, heres one link lol.

christopher2
31-03-2010, 07:03
thanks mate.

Eulenspiegel
31-03-2010, 07:53
Found this thread on B&C (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=168121) on different painting styles for Wolves.

For more inspiration go to Coolminiornot (http://coolminiornot.com/) and enter "Space Wolf" or "Space Wolves" under search images.

Vermin-thing
31-03-2010, 08:21
One neat trick with space wolves is that if you take grey hunters in rhinos they function as the best infantry in the game. Meaning that you can move 11" jump out, rapid fire with your bolters and then take a charge with no fear of getting stomped because of counter charge.

For starters I'd suggest two or three squads of grey hunters in rhinos, note that only ten models can be transported at a time. Any of the characters, they all have their uses, and are really fluffy (with fur). Another quirk of space wolves is that they can have more characters than you can shake a wolf-on-a-stick at so don't worry about buying only one HQ. Once you've had a few games with said army, try adding things as you see fit. Unlike some codexs, space wolves don't suffer from any redundant unit entires (see chaos spawn) so go with what feels right.

christopher2
05-04-2010, 02:51
i dont know y but ive gorn with chaos. i played a game and i sucked at close range so i need a army with many long and close so ive gorn with chaos.

Firmlog
05-04-2010, 05:24
Good luck with chaos, they are fun and one of my first armies, way back in 2nd. I don't know too much about them but they are a bit behind the power curve.

christopher2
22-05-2010, 04:54
hey guys can any one tell me how to put pics up on this because i dont know how:confused:

Eulenspiegel
22-05-2010, 10:34
When you reply, there is a button "Manage Attachments" a little bit under "Submit Reply".
Itīs pretty self-explainatory from there.

Logarithm Udgaur
22-05-2010, 12:58
In the Modeling and Painting (http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56) section of the forums you can also insert pictures directly by using the IMG links from a site like Photobucket (meaning you have to host them on another site before you can post them directly into a thread). It is also a great place to get help on how to paint and assemble.

With the 'manage attachments' mentioned above, you can upload them directly from your hard drive if you so wish.

Bunnahabhain
22-05-2010, 13:20
i dont know y but ive gorn with chaos. i played a game and i sucked at close range so i need a army with many long and close so ive gorn with chaos.

If you find that space wolves suck at close range, you're going to be in for a hard time. They are a very powerful army that excels at close ( ie pistol range or closer) Many people have used the space wolf codex to build chaos armies ( counts as), as they think the SW one is more powerful, more representative of chaos, or both!

Without trying to sound harsh, you'll need to learn to play. The game is tactically simple, but the rules are a mess so it is not easy to pick up fast.

christopher2
08-06-2010, 11:41
yeah i know ive been playing with my step bro and we do find the rules hard a little because both of use have just started. but soon ill be playing with my big bros who know all the rules to it.

Makaber
08-06-2010, 11:59
Don't be too concerned with how "good" the army is. Pick an army you like the look of, and stick with it! Because you'll invest a lot of time with your little soldier guys, so you better like them to begin with. The only other concern is how the army plays: If you like the playstyle and they work with your approach to the game. How well they play come with time, as you learn the game and the nuances of the army. So don't ditch the Wolves after just one game. If they're your favorites, run with them.

Also, as a by-note, don't get too wrapped up with what people say is a "good" army and a "bad" army, becuase the rules for the armies gets updated every once in a while. So, if you go with an army that's maybe not where it should be at the moment (Chaos is a good example), then you can scratch your beard smugly and proclaim that you've been playing chaos for years, once a new and more powerful list hits the marked in the future, and everyone jumps on the bandwagon.

As for learning the game, don't worry. Just read the rules thouroughly once, and play games! Don't be afraid to say to your opponent: "Hey, I'm really new at this, could you please help me with the rules a little?", because most ner- I mean, hobbyists, would love to help out.

christopher2
23-06-2010, 08:16
thanks mate

Hunger
23-06-2010, 11:20
Hi there. Choosing your first 40K army can be difficult, and my advice is to do a bit or research into the different factions first. The most important things to consider when choosing your army are that you feel attracted to the background of your force, and that you like the models. Don't collect an army you're not keen on just because everyone tells you its the 'best' because you'll get no joy out of painting it or playing with it, and you feel you've wasted your time and money.

Here are some links to Wikipedia pages for the main races in Warhammer 40,000 - click on them and read the overview and history for each, and make a list of any that appeal to you.

After that you should visit the Games Workshop website (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/landing.jsp?catId=cat1300033&rootCatGameStyle=) and have a look at the models for the armies you picked out, again noting ay that you think are cool. If you haven't decided what army you want by then, come back here with some more specific questions and we'll be happy to help.

Ok, here goes:

Tau (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tau_(Warhammer_40,000)) - Society of pseudo-communist aliens, shooty army with high powered weapons and advanced technology.

Necrons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necrons) - Sinister undead-like ancient robots that rise up out of the sand of long dead worlds. Very resilient and hard to kill.

Eldar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eldar_(Warhammer_40,000)) - 40K's equivalent of Elves. Sleek anti-gravity floating tanks and jetbikes, versatile selection of different kinds of warriors, powerful, high-tech weapons.

Dark Eldar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Eldar) - Evil Eldar with all manner of frightening weapons and a very sinister appearance. Also ride around on skimmer-tanks and jetbikes, plus they have flying skateboards too!

Orks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ork_(Warhammer_40,000)) - I'm sure you know what an Ork is, suffice it to say they are a lethal close-combat horde army with unsubtle tactics and vehicles that look like they were made by the Blue Peter staff.

Tyranids (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyranids) - A force of nature from another galaxy, Tyranids are a race of alien monsters with a hive-mind intelligence that have come to our galaxy to consume all life it contains. Think of the Aliens and Starship Troopers films and you'll be on the right track.

Imperial Guard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Guard_(Warhammer_40,000)) - Your basic human soldiers. They fight in huge numbers (expect to outnumber your enemy 3:1, 4: 1, 5:1 or more) and can field silly numbers of tanks (up to 18 in a normal game, points permitting!). Miniatures are based on every real-world military style imaginable, from typical US Army troopers to Rambo jungle fighters to Russian coat-and-furry-hats to desert troopers to German WW2 trench fighters and more. Guard armies tend to cost more than most others, because they need a lot of soldiers in them (mine has 14 tanks and 150 infantry troopers, and I only started it this year!). Bear that in mind when you paint them too - doing 10 models is easy enough, but you might find your enthusiasm wearing thin when you're on the 100th.

Loyalist Space Marines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Marines_(Warhammer_40,000)) - Genetically enhanced, power armoured champions of the Human Race, they are an easy army to collect and paint because you don't need many of them to start off, and their heavy armour and good stats make them quite easy to use on the battlefield, so they are ideal for a beginner. There are many different types ('chapters') that fight in different ways, I suggest doing more research into them if you're interested.

Chaos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_(Warhammer)) - The forces of Chaos are split into Chaos Space Marines, which are evil version of Loyalist Space Marines and fight in a similar way, and Chaos Daemons, which are 'magical' monstrous creatures from another dimension. There four Chaos Gods each emphasising a different way of fighting such as close-combat, psychic powers, resilience, and speed, and these are reflected in the different types of daemon and Chaos Space Marines. Again, start reading, follow a few links and note whatever interests you.

Good luck!

christopher2
06-07-2010, 01:46
hey thanks, ive gorn with chaos, there realy cool.
when i played dow i normaly always played chaos because there cool looking.
:D