PDA

View Full Version : looking for 40k players in the west midlands

harrytheschmuck
24-03-2010, 11:16
Hello all, I am trying to get into contact with as many Midlands based 40k players as possible. The idea is to set up a Midlands Gaming Collective. This is explained in a later post below.

In short its to provide the midlands with a central, once a month gaming club. To promote inter-club information, resources and activities with a view to attend and run tournaments and gaming events.

so if your into your 40k and you live in the west midlands please make your self known.

Harry

(jump to page 2 (near the bottom) for a more informative post)

Boomstick
24-03-2010, 12:31
I知 not sure about the Stourbridge, west brom areas but there are a lot of 40k groups in the Birmingham area. I play/help co-ordinate one in Birmingham city centre which has a growing 40k scene.

DarKMasteR
24-03-2010, 14:22
I go to a club in Walsall on a Friday night that averages about 10-20 40k players.

wilsongrahams
24-03-2010, 14:43
Hey, I'm from Tipton, and West Brom is just up the road from me. I don't know the area but know the centre and can navigate from there.

I'm pretty new to 5th edition from 2nd edition so would need some patience, having not yet had a competitive game and still knowing only the very very basics. I'm a fast learner though and learnt fantasy in three games. For 15 years I stuck to Space Hulk and 2nd edition 40k!!!!!!

I work away from home but it shouldn't be too hard to arrange any meet ups I hope. Either that or I can accomodate though need to fetch the gaming table first to do that.

In case anybody is interested I'm 26, and a thoroughly nice person!

rmthedude
24-03-2010, 16:16
I go to a club in Walsall on a Friday night that averages about 10-20 40k players.

Hello, I'm Harry's mate. Where does this club meet? We're looking to build/join a strong 40k community in the area. We play a lot of tournaments and are also looking to expand our team.

Ellythrion
24-03-2010, 23:13
I'm based in Amblecote, Stourbridge - how very strange to see such a specific match on an international forum!

What armies do you and your friends play?

I've got an Eldar, Tyranid, Blood Angels, Chaos, Dark Eldar, Ork and Tau army for 40k, with Eldar, Tyranids, BA and Chaos being my most utilised armies (in that order :)).

Xyrex
25-03-2010, 02:23
I'm guessing you are refering to England? I'm in California, sorry.

harrytheschmuck
25-03-2010, 10:14
I'm guessing you are refering to England? I'm in California, sorry.

Trust me, your better off there, i think we have just had our summer, it happened some time between 1-5 sometime last week i think.

Spacker
25-03-2010, 10:18
There's a group who meet up in Frankley (at the Frogmill Community Centre) on Tuesday evenings and Sundays all day, I used to play there but don't get much chance any more. They've been playing Warmachine and Hordes recently, but most still play 40k too.

http://frankleycommunity.org.uk/community/frogmill.htm

I know it says Thursday evenings there for Warhammer, but it was moved to Tuesday evenings a few months ago.

harrytheschmuck
25-03-2010, 10:35
I知 not sure about the Stourbridge, west brom areas but there are a lot of 40k groups in the Birmingham area. I play/help co-ordinate one in Birmingham city centre which has a growing 40k scene.

birmingham counts, west midlands is a big area, do you have any extra detials, my google-fu is weak. when posting i was thinking the birmingham, walverhampton, kidderminster even sutton coldfield area of birmingham

do you have any extra information such as a name or time etc?

I'm based in Amblecote, Stourbridge - how very strange to see such a specific match on an international forum!

I've got an Eldar, Tyranid, Blood Angels, Chaos, Dark Eldar, Ork and Tau army for 40k, with Eldar, Tyranids, BA and Chaos being my most utilised armies (in that order :)).

well you dont get if you dont try, well i have orks and chaos at the moment, i sold my necrons and my nids got bummed in the new codex.

as well as looking for new players/clubs in the area we are also testing the water to see if it mite be possible to set up a 40k power house of gamers in the midlands depending on the interest, something that can work along side your normal club. also we play a lot of GT's, so to make a team we need one more good player, think your up for it anyone?!?

harrytheschmuck
25-03-2010, 10:39
There's a group who meet up in Frankley (at the Frogmill Community Centre) on Tuesday evenings and Sundays all day, I used to play there but don't get much chance any more. They've been playing Warmachine and Hordes recently, but most still play 40k too.

http://frankleycommunity.org.uk/community/frogmill.htm

I know it says Thursday evenings there for Warhammer, but it was moved to Tuesday evenings a few months ago.

i know, i go there, i have the orks, however they have been playing loads of D&D and hordes/warmachine lately.

Spacker
25-03-2010, 10:42
Ah, you're that Harry. Sorry :D

I'm still playing 40k when I get chance, although it's at my house now rather than at the club. Slate, Cobby, and Skid are coming over this weekend. If you can make it there's another Age of Strife 3 day meetup coming up again in August at Warhammer World too.

Bartali
25-03-2010, 11:20

Got any details for your Brum City Centre night ? I'd love a vets night with a bar ;)

Boomstick
25-03-2010, 12:13
The Birmingham Centre one is the October Wargames Association, a long time historical group but has a new and growing 40k base, in fact I think on some nights we outnumber the other more historical guys, average attendance at the mo is 10-15 a night for 40k but has gone in to the high 20's. Its a growing group and got to start somewhere so new players to help expand are always welcome.

http://octoberwargames.webs.com/ for the club address
its 」2 a night (first night free)
free parking
and it does have a bar
terrain and board are stored on site and free to use by all.

There are also other clubs in the midlands area that we are starting to get into contact with to start some form of inter club league / tournaments, so a bright future is ahead for the 40k players in the midlands area i think.

rmthedude
25-03-2010, 16:16

Hi, I play Necrons and Daemons. Mainly Daemons these days as Necrons seem to have been destroyed by 5th edition.

I'm based in Kingswinford. We play on a tuesday night at Kingswinford community centre. If you fancy a game send me a PM as I said before, we're looking for more 40k players.

Chiron
25-03-2010, 19:12
I hang around the Sutton Coldfield gaming room (GW store) myself, go on Tuesdays and occasionally Saturdays/Sundays and its good for a laugh, adults/18+ players seem to outnumber the kiddies who do for a change keep to themselves

brightblade
25-03-2010, 19:28
I hang around the Sutton Coldfield gaming room (GW store) myself,

I am a frequent visitor there. I wonder who you are?

It is true that it is good on a Tuesday, lots of room, nice tables, laid back, good gamers.

Chiron
25-03-2010, 19:33
I am a frequent visitor there. I wonder who you are?

It is true that it is good on a Tuesday, lots of room, nice tables, laid back, good gamers.

Valhallan Infantry :angel:

brightblade
25-03-2010, 19:35
I think I got ya! Lol. Been looking at your album in an attempt to identify you. Lol. :D

Chiron
25-03-2010, 19:37
Erk, really needs updating tbh, yet to put up my Pig Iron fellas

brightblade
25-03-2010, 19:39
Been looking at your photos too! Argh! Internet stalker! Lol....... :D

On the subject of good clubs, The Immortals in Sutton are a nice bunch meeting on thursdays. Think their details are in white dwarf's club section.

Dejay
25-03-2010, 19:47
Any of you go GW Merry Hill? :o

wilsongrahams
25-03-2010, 20:04
Merry Hill is my local store, and I go there every other week really.

Dejay
25-03-2010, 20:06
Interesting, might see you sometime. Look out for the bright yellow marines ;)

wilsongrahams
25-03-2010, 21:05
Will do. I tend to go in the week during daytime when it's quieter, but fully intend getting to a gaming night sometime soon.

harrytheschmuck
25-03-2010, 23:31
I find the GW stores rarther poor for gaming, the merry hill store a good case in point, its in a busy shopping centure and is just there for sales and intro games. even on a gaming night they only have one table that is pre booked a good week ahead etc. same goes for a lot of the stores unless they have a battle bunker. also a lot of players up merry hill are not great.

Boomstick
26-03-2010, 11:30
GW Sutton has a battle bunker with normally 6-8 6x4's free for a games night and a good mix of armies and play styles and also a group of GT regulars so another good option for those looking to expand a GT type group. My club also has a group of GT regulars. But i do see your point about the smaller GW stores they just aren稚 set up for that style of gaming but there are places that are, or at least I知 trying to help get them there.

DarKMasteR
26-03-2010, 14:43
We meet at Hatherton reformed church hall, hatherton street, Walsall its just behind the Gala swimming pool, we meet tonight starts at 6 and finishes at 10 we have a wide range of armies that play, The club plays mainly 40k and Warhammer but there are people that play other games now and gain like Magic the card game and B5. My name is Chris if you feel like coming along. The first night is free.

Dejay
26-03-2010, 20:16
GW Sutton has a battle bunker with normally 6-8 6x4's free for a games night and a good mix of armies and play styles and also a group of GT regulars so another good option for those looking to expand a GT type group. My club also has a group of GT regulars. But i do see your point about the smaller GW stores they just aren稚 set up for that style of gaming but there are places that are, or at least I知 trying to help get them there.

Sounds pretty good, but it's almost 15 miles away from me :(

Necron Lord Omega
27-03-2010, 20:45
The Birmingham Centre one is the October Wargames Association, a long time historical group but has a new and growing 40k base, in fact I think on some nights we outnumber the other more historical guys, average attendance at the mo is 10-15 a night for 40k but has gone in to the high 20's. Its a growing group and got to start somewhere so new players to help expand are always welcome.

http://octoberwargames.webs.com/ for the club address
its 」2 a night (first night free)
free parking
and it does have a bar
terrain and board are stored on site and free to use by all.

There are also other clubs in the midlands area that we are starting to get into contact with to start some form of inter club league / tournaments, so a bright future is ahead for the 40k players in the midlands area i think.
Great club I go there myself.

adam-352
27-03-2010, 21:42
Im from wolverhampton, and would like to say we have a good range of players, though vets nights tend to be a lt of fantasy

harrytheschmuck
31-03-2010, 12:06
Im from wolverhampton, and would like to say we have a good range of players, though vets nights tend to be a lt of fantasy

hay adam, whats the name of your club? is it da boyz klub in penn?

harrytheschmuck
31-03-2010, 12:15
Last night i attended october wargames, the venue was good, did have that old school pub smell though lol. This would seam like a good location for any midlands based activities as its easy to find, has lots of room, centeral locaton, parking, good transport links, cheap hotels, entertainment, bar, lots of tables and terrain.

thanks for your help boomstick, i have made a list of different clubs and i ill be attending over the coming weeks, i cant go more than once a week or the GF will kill me as im alway his weekend and the next.

also we need a name for this project, any ideas?

Bartali
31-03-2010, 12:46
Probably a bit off topic, but possibly the best place to ask (mods feel free to move).

What's going on with the Bull Ring GW ? They seem to have had a rapid turnover of staff lately, and the fresh out of the box ones tend to be increasingly annoying ! Went in yesterday for a Falcon (out of stock, natch), and witnessed the the shop assistant doing a demo game of WFB to an adult gamer, while talking to him in an increasingly patronising manner. The shop assistant then called me 'buddy' repeatedly (are all GW staff taught to call customers 'buddy' ? ) while trying to get me to order a Falcon from GW's website.

harrytheschmuck
31-03-2010, 14:05
Probably a bit off topic, but possibly the best place to ask (mods feel free to move).

What's going on with the Bull Ring GW ? They seem to have had a rapid turnover of staff lately, and the fresh out of the box ones tend to be increasingly annoying ! Went in yesterday for a Falcon (out of stock, natch), and witnessed the the shop assistant doing a demo game of WFB to an adult gamer, while talking to him in an increasingly patronising manner. The shop assistant then called me 'buddy' repeatedly (are all GW staff taught to call customers 'buddy' ? ) while trying to get me to order a Falcon from GW's website.

wrong place buddy, this thread has nothing to do with our topic sorry.

harrytheschmuck
31-03-2010, 14:19
The idea seams to be going ok, trying to attend as many midlands clubs as possible over the next few weeks, I'm hoping there will be enough of a 40k base to start up our own midlands gaming collective (MGC).

The idea is to set up a group based in the midlands as it is a Central as it gets for attendees. this isn't intended to replace or steal gamers from other clubs, but to provide a once a month 40k gaming night, a collection of midlands gamers who are into their 40k with a view to set up games, share club information and resources, attend and run tournaments and gaming events and generally make the midlands a stronger scene for gaming.

Also something like this will be better for those who have families that cant attend a weekly club but mite get permission to attend something once a month and feel part of something and for those who are part of a gaming club to be part of something bigger.

I know some of you are thinking, what about other games? well if this idea works then there would be no reason not to expand the idea more.

So in short 'we need you'. If you live in the midlands or can make the distance etc then let me know, as i said at the start, i will be attending about one midlands based club a week to see the venue, get an idea of the gaming taking place there and hopefully talk to people who have been keeping an eye on this thread and spread awareness of this movement. also give any challengers a dam good beating.

Any ideas, comments & questions etc are more than welcome

Harry

DCLXVI
31-03-2010, 14:51
Myself and a few mates all live in south Birmingham, and we'd be interested, as we've never played at a club before, just amongst ourselves.
If it's in the week though it'll be difficult as we all work nights!

I'll keep an eye out anyway, and we might turn up one week.
Good luck! :)

harrytheschmuck
31-03-2010, 23:52
Myself and a few mates all live in south Birmingham, and we'd be interested, as we've never played at a club before, just amongst ourselves.
If it's in the week though it'll be difficult as we all work nights!

I'll keep an eye out anyway, and we might turn up one week.
Good luck! :)

Thats good news, you have no worry on the time. its still in the planning stages as i want to visit as many clubs in the midlands before hand in order to access the level of support for this project. ide hate to not do enough background work and the 1st month be sat in an empty room on my own lol. dam it, ill have nightmares about that now.

I'm sure anyone who have set up clubs before will have had the same concerns so hopefully their sympathy will ensure a good turn out till the word on the street gets around.

On a personal note maybe you would find a weekly local club to attend through the project or even other people in your area that you didn't know about and expand your own personal group of gamers etc etc.

Please keep checking the thread, warseer moves fast and so any comments or advice will help keep this thread on the first page for anyone who mite miss it. Also tell your friends and let me know their feedback.

Boomstick
01-04-2010, 00:04
For a project name i like what you posted and at least for a working title to run with "Midlands Gaming Collective" sounds right to me

Lorenzen
01-04-2010, 22:50
I'm from solihull and we have a small but growing gaming club located there, its nice and close to birmingham and im sure some, if not all of the gamers involved would be interested in this.. we're a pretty competative bunch, and any chance to game against a wider variety of people on a regular basis would be great.

harrytheschmuck
02-04-2010, 23:30
I'm from solihull and we have a small but growing gaming club located there, its nice and close to birmingham and im sure some, if not all of the gamers involved would be interested in this.. we're a pretty competative bunch, and any chance to game against a wider variety of people on a regular basis would be great.

Whats the name and details of your club (meeting times and dates etc) and i will add it to my list

Lorenzen
05-04-2010, 06:47
as of yet it doesnt have a name.. we're a bit small scale :D

we meet every thursday at the oliver bird hall next to st alphege church in solihull at about 6:00 and finish up around 10:00.

for people who are interested in checking us out, drop into the solihull store and ask about.. some of us are usually in there before hand discussing something or another.

Whitehorn
15-04-2010, 16:40
Hey Harry et al,

I live in Tamworth, work in Sutton Coldfield and attend Tamworth Games Club and WHW with weekly frequency. I would be interested in getting involved with this and can probably pull in a few Tamworth players for a monthly session too.

Our venue tends to be free at weekends also, I often host 'Game days' for 」30, which translates to 」3 or less per person. So, if you were looking to cycle through venues, you can consider us. In fact, if you wanted to visit us I am holding such a day on 8th May.

Let me know what and where you need help. I'm a web developer, so could help you out with a site/form/seo, etc.

Lorenzen
17-04-2010, 09:05
i have a few more details for the solihull club.. on top of running the club every week, approximatley once a month we have access to a much larger venue which can be used to hold tournaments etc in, so we should be able to host some events and the such for a larger group of people than just ourselves. :)

if anyone wants to check us out you can visit our website at

www.the-empyrean.co.nr/