PDA

View Full Version : GW's Red Period

Melvaius
25-03-2010, 13:00
Does any one remember GW's red period, looking back was that the golden age, or now are you left thinking god all that red.

Raellos
25-03-2010, 13:27
When was that? I tend to go by book art or model base colour, though the vividness of the earlier stuff marks it out as being a different age.

While I wasn't around before third ed 40k, third for me was all about the bad art by that bloke that made everybody look like they were terminally constipated- all veiny and lumpy faced and angry. 5th ed fantasy (I got into fantasy at the start of 6th, but it was a transitional period so I bought up on older army books for fluff) was all happy and colourful.

Then there was the "goblin Green" period, where the defining feature of bases was the use of goblin green- goblin green all over in the earlier stuff, just the edging later on. Not sure how I'd define the current stuff, "retro revival" seems to be one way.

Ultimate Life Form
25-03-2010, 13:42
When I had a look at models from that era it really creeped me out. horrible! :eek:

Well the problem is not using red as a dominant color, in fact Vampire Counts and Khorne do this to great effect; the problem was literally painting everything red, from wood over leather to who knows what. It wasn't that long ago that the Verminlord displayed on the GW site had those manicured nails...

*shudders*

Raellos
25-03-2010, 14:00
Actually, now I've thought about it a bit more I do remember quite a few red odd things, like guns, symbols on stuff, etc. Red guns on a guard force though now would be quite a cool little nod though, I think.

Bombot
25-03-2010, 14:16
I collected Dark Angels and thought "err, no" when deciding whether to copy GW's bright red boltguns. It did get rather out of hand.

Melvaius
25-03-2010, 14:37
Everything was red, even the box for wfb 5th edition was red, to me its really was what made warhammer, warhammer. I'm not saying I miss it though either. Those days when orcs had red horns on their helmets. Oh and red wood on the orc rock lobba. Yeah there was some madness back then.

Ultimate Life Form
25-03-2010, 14:39
It appears Grom the Paunch adheres to these holy principles even nowadays, it seems.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1491713&prodId=prod840868

Condottiere
25-03-2010, 14:42
I somehow associate Space Marines with this period.

Raellos
25-03-2010, 14:43
It appears Grom the Paunch adheres to these holy principles even nowadays, it seems.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1491713&prodId=prod840868

They've photoshopped him a brown base edge though, or so it looks.

Though Bombot, I think the new Deathwing look more like Christmas Marines than the 3rd ed ones.

Lars Porsenna
25-03-2010, 14:49
No, I do not miss the "red" period (which was typified by more than just the color red...everything was extremely colorful), and I'm glad it is gone and forgotten.

Damon.

Makaber
25-03-2010, 15:01
I actually though this was a thread about the female menstruation cycle.

x-esiv-4c
25-03-2010, 15:25
I'm glad GW moved on and far away from that particular scheme.

The pestilent 1
25-03-2010, 15:26
I actually though this was a thread about the female menstruation cycle.

Glad I wasn't first one to say it.

Alathir
25-03-2010, 15:26
All I remember is all those goblins with red bows... why... WHY!?

Ultimate Life Form
25-03-2010, 15:59
Oh, I find red bows very pretty! Must be cute on a Goblin! :p

htj
25-03-2010, 16:08
Cost a fortune in ribbon, though.

eltanko
25-03-2010, 16:18
It was the era of GW that I was first introduced to, and is by far my favourite. I still look through the old edition rulebooks at the pictures and get a warm fuzzy feeling.

So yes, I miss it very much :)

ElTanko

Bombot
25-03-2010, 17:04

The start of the Space Marine uber-push and this period certainly coincided, as my Dark Angel example testifies.

Though Bombot, I think the new Deathwing look more like Christmas Marines than the 3rd ed ones.

I try not to pay too much attention :) I stick to pushing Epic Dark Angels around these days (I've probably got the whole chapter killed off by now) and they're immune to the whims of GW's wardrobe department :P Although thinking about it I have admit that I do like my red Warhound titan. I've subconsciously bought into red-o-rama after all, haven't I?

Thud
25-03-2010, 17:09

Me too. Whenever I read some bitter Dark Eldar player's curses about Ultramarines an image from the red period pops up in my head.

Even though I prefer the grimdark painting style, I do have a soft spot for the red period style. It's cozy. I can't help imagening the 'Eavy Metal team as a bunch of cardigan-wearing, hot-chocolate-drinking middle aged women who are sitting in front of a fire place painting up a new batch of Space Marines inbetween knitting sweaters for their adult children.

Master Jeridian
25-03-2010, 17:16
I most remember the Space Marine gun casings being bright red, that really stuck out- especially on say Ultramarines.

I prefer the more gritty, understated greys, browns, blacks of today...though I must admit I had my own Green Period where my SM Chapter was all bright (Scorpion) green, blinded my opponents.

Flame Boy
25-03-2010, 21:50
It took me a long time to stop painting my models in thay style, but I seem to prefer more neutral palettes now. The fact that I use black undercoats rather than white probably contributes more.

I do miss the days of orangey red Blood Angels, but I don't miss the days of not having Vyper Jetbikes or Falcon Grav Tanks. :p

Raellos
26-03-2010, 02:48
I've moved largely from black to white, having started with the current recommended black undercoat. Though it's probably more that stuff I'm painting (or putting of painting) suits a lighter undercoat.

SandQueen
26-03-2010, 09:30
As a woman I find the title to this thread awkward and confusing.

eltanko
26-03-2010, 09:37

:eek:

I did wonder when I first read the title!!! hehe

ElTanko

Bombot
26-03-2010, 10:09

Hey, at least as an American you get to enter the thread thinking it might just be about full stops.

Condottiere
26-03-2010, 10:20
I jumped to the obvious conclusion as well, when I first saw the title - it is random musings, after all.

Promethius
26-03-2010, 10:22
I actually still paint my cadians with bright red lasguns and red helmet earpieces. Love it.

Everything nowadays is much more grimdark, and although it's good in some ways, I do miss the bright red ork buggies, colourful space marines and the rest.

Re. the thread title, I actually thought it was refering to red hair.

ashc
26-03-2010, 11:16
I jumped to the immediate GW-related conclusion of thew thread title :(

I liked the red period for chaos and undead, they looked great. Not so much for other races.

For some reason I do like all the red wood and leather we saw on Orcs/Goblins/Orks; for some reason it seemed right, whilst also being entirely wrong..

htj
26-03-2010, 12:16
I thought the thread title was a reference to this. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_period)

I started around that time and I never liked the paint styles. I prefer the less rainbow-in-a-disco style they've moved onto now, but there's still a heavy pull of nostalgia when I look at the old Red is My Favourite and My Best style minis.

TheBigBadWolf
26-03-2010, 19:41
I thought the red period was great, the bright colours in the grim dark gave it an excellent unusual very 40k feel.

Ultimate Life Form
26-03-2010, 20:46
I don't know if that is desirable in Fantasy.

Deja Dude
26-03-2010, 23:03
I haven't touched anything GW-related for a good couple of years now, but the other day I had a rush of nostalgia and thought it might be fun to paint an old-school looking army, in the predominantly red style. It's just so quintessentially Games Workshop.

Does anyone remember the slightly earlier yellow period? I can recall flicking through one of my earliest White Dwarfs featuring a bunch of Golden Demon entries and thinking everything had a very yellow look.

Anyway, time to break out the Goblin Green bases....

Lostanddamned
27-03-2010, 03:26
I actually had a Scab red/Red gore period (yuch) around the time of the Deamonhunters codex, and even now my Cadians have Scab Red weapon bodies, its a nice touch. One day I would like to collect a fully Red Period army though, possibly chaos undivided...

jlmb_123
27-03-2010, 12:21
I've got a load of old WD's and I've noticed that there was a very yellowish tendency in the very early nineties, as deja dude mentions.

I think the red period looked wicked. I've got a few old style Chaos Warriors (the ones camping it up with their hands on their hips) which are going to look dandy!

Crube
27-03-2010, 12:28
Thread moved to GW General Discussion

Also, I've edited the thread title from 'The Red Period', to 'GW's Red Period', to avoid any furhter confusion/awkwardness.

Crube
The Warseer Inquisition

Elanthanis
27-03-2010, 12:30
The outdated philosophy of the time:

Red 'unz sell fasta.

the anti santa
27-03-2010, 15:38
I prefer GW's red period to the bland "pastel and NMM" that some companies seem to be going through. The Golden deamon seems to be infected with it too with all the entries looking like they were painted by the same person.

spetswalshe
27-03-2010, 18:33
Looking through a few older copies of WD, it is shocking how far painting has come in fifteen years or so. I mean, things like weathering on vehicles was practically unheard of back then, and everything (including Necromunda minis! it was set in a hive world!) had a lush green base. While I agree that red spears or what have you shouldn't be automatically ignored, I'm pretty glad we got past that point.

Non-metallic-metal seems to be the technique du jour - there's been like eight WD articles describing it in the last 12 months. It does indeed look very nice, but I'm quite sure it was invented purely to add another few inches to the gaping chasm that exists between GD participants and regular painters.

orlanth1000
27-03-2010, 21:47
I still have my original goblin wolf chariots painted red on the wood bits,
same with some of my original orc boyz,

sorry can't let go of the past,

I loved the red period, as it's when I really started painting.

Ozorik
27-03-2010, 21:50
I'm still living in the red period, well mechrite red rather than blood red, but it does turn up on pretty much any model I paint that isn't historical (and sometimes even then).

5Pointer
27-03-2010, 22:24
I'm still living in the red period, well mechrite red rather than blood red, but it does turn up on pretty much any model I paint that isn't historical (and sometimes even then).

I agree, and Mechrite Red has made it so much easier too :)

I honestly don't know what colour I'd paint my gobbos' bows and spears if I didn't use red!

onidemon
28-03-2010, 04:42
I can still remember the scene, in my ratty college-age apartment, circa 1996, late one night as a roommate's girlfriend drops by and finds me painting a tank in blood angel colors.

"Um, why are you painting that tank red?"
"Because that's the color its supposed to be."
"That's incredibly stupid."
"You're incredibly stupid!"

Then I ran off in a tizzy, flailing my arms in outrage...

Okay, it didn't play out exactly like that, but I do remember friends taking one look at things like my Orks with bright red boots and asking what I was thinking, and I'd have to show them the 2nd edition codex and prove that violent green space barbarians really do wear fire-engine red boots without a spot of mud on them.

I don't paint like that now, but it sure makes me nostalgic for the days when 40k was a brand new thing I'd never heard of before, and every army in the universe kept their tanks gleaming clean.

Qdeu
28-03-2010, 08:49
The nostalgia factor is really strong, so strong in fact, that I still paint the bolters of my death guard army red (red gore so it's a bit toned down, but still:p) and don't get me started on spacehulk termies;)

ftayl5
28-03-2010, 09:13
I remember/ look at my old books and observe that there was a maroon-burgundy sort of phase. Kinda red. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong time period but yeah. All the wood was maroony

Mattcrowther00
28-03-2010, 17:29
I'd still give my treemen bright red nails any day :D

AndrewGPaul
29-03-2010, 00:08
My fantasy army still has Goblin Green bases. I've painted my game board Goblin Green, too. Nothing wrong with it, IMO.

Messiahnide
29-03-2010, 15:10
Aaaahhhh the days of blood red guns, leather pouches, boots..........also remember the stores themselves being overly red even the staff shirts were red, seem to remember a lot of coldplay and similar bands being played instore at that time, much to my annoyance lol.

TheBigBadWolf
29-03-2010, 19:00
Aaaahhhh the days of blood red guns, leather pouches, boots..........also remember the stores themselves being overly red even the staff shirts were red, seem to remember a lot of coldplay and similar bands being played instore at that time, much to my annoyance lol.

Evertime I go into GW its the music from Pirates of the Carribean:D

My bolters are still blood red, my bases are green edged and my future WE will have garish red colours, not the dark red of nowadays!

Coasty
31-03-2010, 16:44
I agree, and Mechrite Red has made it so much easier too :)

I honestly don't know what colour I'd paint my gobbos' bows and spears if I didn't use red!

Uh...brown...? :shifty:

shaso_iceborn
31-03-2010, 17:16
No, I do not miss the "red" period (which was typified by more than just the color red...everything was extremely colorful), and I'm glad it is gone and forgotten.

Damon.

Yeah I always associated it with the "cartoon" period though I still pinted mine grim

Solasun
31-03-2010, 17:47
I actually missed the Red Period - but I sort of fall into a halfway house between bright colourful blocks that seem to be part of it and the new 'fad/evolution/thing' that's the whole GRIMDARK ethos. It works well for me since I'm not the greatest of painters and have a slightly cartoon-y style (I like to exaggerated highlights then wash them back a little) so take what I'm about to say with that in mind.

If I looked on it now I'd say - someone had fun painting that, same as if I look at GRIMDARK Golden Daemons. Anything well painted I can pretty much register, some of it may be garish or depressing or just not my cup of tea. Still it's fun; which is what I want my hobby to be, fun with painting models. I like to throw back to Malal with Chaos(my only first-hand knowledge of Malal being from Ignorant Armies), some people have just said oh let's forget Malal but the best ones still smile when you talk about your mutual hobby - rather than worry about the fact you're using bright cartoony style over a dramatic real style.

Oh dear, that's a bit preachy isn't it. Basically I just like both styles and whilst one phase has passed - I wholeheartedly approve of people working with it.

Thunderkill
31-03-2010, 20:28
I never liked the 'red' era. I felt it made the products look more like cheap toys. Wasn't it about this time that they changed all the backing cards on the blisters from pictures to garish single colors as well? I believe it was also about this time that box sets went from having artwork on them to a picture of the painted minis, yes? gone were the days of the awesome box art of the 'Machineries of Destruction' and what have you. At least now they have the painted minis on the box, with some nice background. They seem to be going through a purple haze phase at the mo, at least with the IG. Wow, we're all sounding like a bunch of old farts! lol! :D

Pacorko
31-03-2010, 20:44

Damon.

Th "old school" trend of the early 90s. Lotsa red, buncha yellow, loadsa checkers... Gaudy models.

I really believe this style made some of the models look a lot uglier than they really were.

Killgore
01-04-2010, 11:35
The Red days will always be fondly remembered, but I also like the more 'realistic' painting of today.

I’ve taken the best of both worlds and combined them into my painting style.

Blue and Yellow Ultramarines with Reds Bolters, with realistic base and ink effects on metal :P

lord ugwart
03-04-2010, 10:39
I still paint my night goblin spears red. Granted it is rather toned down kind of like mahogany. I think the red suited many of the models of that era.