PDA

View Full Version : What precent of conversion?

bigbear bailey
25-03-2010, 18:25
I want a really cool demon prince and I've noticed some from other companies. If I were to buy one and but bits on it to make it legal, how much has to go on there?

Ultimate Life Form
25-03-2010, 18:26
Uh... well. 100%. That's what the GW shop manager told me.

therat
25-03-2010, 18:34
I wouldn't say it must be 100% GW and different stores might have different policies. It also depends on what exactly you mean by "legal." If a tournament is sanctioned by GW, it must abide by GW rules.

If you have a GW model and throw some non-GW bits on it, you shouldn't have a problem, especially if it really isn't noticeable that it's not a full GW conversion.

If you're using a non-GW model as the base you'll probably run into problems, especially with something as large as a daemon prince. I'd say a non-GW daemon that size would be barred, no matter how much converting you do (unless of course you're going to cut it down so much that it doesn't resemble what it was, in which case what's the point?)

Grymlok
25-03-2010, 21:12
Have a look at this for guidance:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=15100006

Go to the bottom of the page and open the pdf "conflict rules pack".

In the tournament rules section you'll see the GW norm (AFAIK) which states:

"Non-Citadel miniatures are not permitted in the tournament and will be removed..."

And

"Conversions must begin as Citadel miniatures and contain a majority of Citadel components."

Hope that helps

Shamutanti
25-03-2010, 21:59
fferent stores might have different policies.

That's changing soon. Every store is going to have the same 'policies'. All an attempt to standardise all the (at least UK) stores into the same. This is why GW is now advertising in-game events across the country rather than letting stores do it (and that will only increase). So expect that to be all models must be 100% citadel. Some stores may choose to operate it different but I wouldn't want to see the reaction from up top if someone finds out 'bout it.

Heard the manager of the local complaining because they're even going as small as 'what colour the paint stations are' across the country cause I've seen some stores have 'em black, some red and some not painted/sprayed at all.

Xynok
29-03-2010, 17:09
I don't play in GW stores. Only privately. Get both if you want to? I use a Privateer Press model for my hellpit abomination for example. But I suppose that's because they don't do the model.

I do think though that you need to have pretty much citadel minis with WYSIWYG. Which is a bit annoying as if I decide suddenly for example to take spears, i'd have to paint up a whole new unit (can't magnetise the new skaven, they're ball and socketed)

BigbyWolf
29-03-2010, 17:15
"Conversions must begin as Citadel miniatures and contain a majority of Citadel components."

And yet they helpfully neglect to make models for at least 4 new big beasties (Abom, Cygor, Ghorgon, Jabba the Slythe), and insist that we convert ourselves. I don't have a problem doing it, but can't guarantee that it would begin as a GW model, or even contain enough components, unless they class "Greenstuff" as a component?

Histeria
29-03-2010, 17:25
God damn GW is run by bloody aholes. Like 50% Citadel would be acceptable but a 100%?!

Grymlok
01-04-2010, 16:59
Hmm, do citadel make green stuff? If so, then you can make a 100% citadel, and 100% original, model of your own. Just take a photo of the model prior to painting to show them!! They'd have a hard time arguing you couldn't use your finely sculpted figure.

Bac5665
01-04-2010, 20:36
Unless you're dumb enough or unfortunate enough to have to play in GW store/event, you can use whatever your opponents will let you use. There are no rules for conversions in general play, so use a soda can spray painted pink for all I care. Basically, on the indie scene, "be reasonable" is the most restriction you'll encounter, if any. At worst, you might play in some tourney where there is a "no non-GW" rule, but most TOs I've met don't care about enforcement, if the conversion 1) looks cool, and 2) is reasonable. So just talk to people and its fine.

GW stores/events insist on crazy rules, but they tend to be cesspools of awful anyway, so not being able to play at a GW event/store is about as much of a problem as not having to have a root canal. I do not regret not having a GW store within 300 miles one bit. On the other hand, I do recognize I'm pretty lucky to have a kick-a$$ LGS to play at.

Now, all that's premised on the assumption that there is an Independent Local Gaming Store to play at, or someones basement or something. And hopefully indie tourneys. Cause if not, I apologize for the rest of this post.

Rodman49
01-04-2010, 21:59
GW stores/events insist on crazy rules, but they tend to be cesspools of awful anyway, so not being able to play at a GW event/store is about as much of a problem as not having to have a root canal.

Legendary Quote.

starlight
01-04-2010, 23:07
I want a really cool demon prince and I've noticed some from other companies. If I were to buy one and but bits on it to make it legal, how much has to go on there?

It depends on where you play, because there is no such thing as an *illegal* miniature based on what you (as a private individual) make it out of...

If you want to use it in a GW environment (store/tournament/etc) then it must be at least 50% GW parts *or* scratch-built in the GW image.

If you are playing in a private tournament, it's up to the organisers.

If you are playing in a private home...then this shouldn't even be an issue...or you need new friends... :(

Personally, I mix and match as I see fit...and I have stuff going back decades...from before many gamers were *born*...and I've never been challenged on my stuff... :shifty:

*remembers the times (yes, at least three times) that GW has tried to enforce not only 100% Citadel, but 100% Citadel from the most current range of models available...* :eek:

That lasted as long as it took to laugh heartily...

Grymlok
02-04-2010, 14:05
, but 100% Citadel from the most current range of models available...* :eek:

That lasted as long as it took to laugh heartily...

I never knew that they ever tried that! My entire Bretonnian army, except my Pegasus Knights, would be screwed, and so would 70% of my Lizardmen, my entire Space Wolves army and about half my Chaos army. They could never have that rule enforced, it would destroy the hobby!

I'm glad that never took off, I couldn't afford to replace all the above mentioned with new models. It would be hobby over instead.

Bac5665
02-04-2010, 14:07
why would it be hobby over? Is there no place you could have played other than GW stores/events?

Grymlok
02-04-2010, 14:20
Not at the moment no, my regular players have all moved away with one in Finland, one in London, another in Edinburgh and last one back home in my home town. It's GW store only at the moment, and looking to do a tournament this year too. Actually, I'd still buy any new models I like just to model and paint up.

Stumpy
02-04-2010, 14:31
Is a GW store where you play? That's the only place where anyone would give a rats, especially given many GW models pale in comparison to other companies.
Since they canned GTs (well here anyway, I don't know if GW still hosts tourneys in other countries) the only place of any consideration is a GW store itself. No tournament or club would mind as long as it was WYSIWYG and looked cool.

starlight
02-04-2010, 19:02
The first time was the introduction of 3rd Ed for about a month or so while they tried to forcibly break the connections with 2nd Ed, then again with 4th Ed, but that was more isolated and only lasted as long as it took to tell the Blackshirt it would *cost* him sales instead of encouraging them. There was another brief spate of attempts to encourage newer models, but no one listened.

And yes, it was just actual GW stores...and I doubt it had a positive effect...likely only revealing how silly some corporate ideas really are... :p