PDA

View Full Version : time per turn

Xyrex
26-03-2010, 05:47
how long is a game turn (yes i mean in game)?

Reflex
26-03-2010, 06:05
how long is a piece of string?
really depends on point limit, type of army and the players proficiency of rules.

Creeping Dementia
26-03-2010, 06:17
How are we supposed to answer this question???

It depends on point levels.

It depends on the turn, first turn is often shorter, last turns are often short, middle turns are longer.

Is there a time limit for the whole game?

It depends on the army model counts.

So, how long is a game turn. A yard, or a meter, depending on where your from.

laudarkul
26-03-2010, 07:14
If it's a friendly game it can go up to 20-30 minutes (lot's of discussion and advices). As for tournaments I would say 10 it's the maximum.

Lijacote
26-03-2010, 07:23
In-game, you must mean background-wise? Obviously 20 seconds. Battles last a few minutes, such is the fury of the grimdark future.

Hoodwink
26-03-2010, 07:40
Depends on the scale of the fight. 1 model doesn't really mean 1 actual creature/person. Background-wise, it could last for hours and hours. Look at different battles, especially Tyranid. They tend to win by attrition over a longer period of time than just a single brute force attack.

IAMNOTHERE
26-03-2010, 07:51
Planning time is around 20 minutes per 500pts. So a 1500pt game should take about 2 hours whereas a 2000pt game will take over 2 1/2 hours.

e2055261
26-03-2010, 07:53
Depends on how many beers I've had. The more beer the longer the turn.

Earthbeard
26-03-2010, 10:00
As long as it takes.

Unless you're on a time limit of some kind why wouldn't it?

Lord Damocles
26-03-2010, 10:46
I usually say that a game should take about half an hour per 500pts. So depending on the size of game the turn time(s) will vary.
This does of course assume that both players know what they're doing...

how long is a piece of string?
Twice the distance from the middle to one end :shifty:

BBWags
26-03-2010, 12:44
Guys, he's asking about how much time elapse's in the "game universe" during one turn. Like in D&D one turn equals 10 seconds of time passing for the characters (don't know if that is accurate, but it gets the point across). That is what he is asking.

To try to answer the question, I don't think we can. I'm not aware of any place that states how long each turn is from the models' perspective. Your guess is as good as anyone else's.

trigger
26-03-2010, 12:58
on the battle field mere seconds , size wise a 2500 game would be less than 30 min in real time.

TheBigBadWolf
26-03-2010, 13:30
Depends on how many beers I've had. The more beer the longer the turn.

This, many beers equates to eternal turns, much banter and hilarity:D

Logarithm Udgaur
26-03-2010, 13:44
So out of 12 replies, 3-4 actually address the question asked (or bothered to read the first post). I love Warseer.

To answer the question posed...I have no idea. I seem to remember them talking about it in Rogue Trader. I will have to dig it up.

Edit: Scanning through it did not produce any results (other than a laugh at Jervis' '80s hair). I cannot imagine it being more than a minute or two, and most likely less.

Reflex
26-03-2010, 14:58
i wouldnt be getting up on my high horse stright away there Logarithm Udgaur. the OP was not exactly detailed, and the amount of times a thread has popped up with this exact tital and OP content where the detail is once again lacking, people think that the OP is asking real time, not time from a hypothetical model perspective.

Tourniquet
26-03-2010, 15:03
In 750pts for moving and shooting , at the last tournie, i was spending maybe 3mins tops.
That's what happens when i have 3 units :p

The table iw as on was always first finished (in fact one game, me and opponent finished the proper gane. Then played 2 scratch matches for fun while waiting)

Logarithm Udgaur
26-03-2010, 15:16
i wouldnt be getting up on my high horse stright away there Logarithm Udgaur. the OP was not exactly detailed, and the amount of times a thread has popped up with this exact tital and OP content where the detail is once again lacking, people think that the OP is asking real time, not time from a hypothetical model perspective.
It is perfectly clear what he was asking from reading the first post, which is concise and to the point. Just because you were one of the 8 that didn't read it is no reason to get pi$$y. Yes, the view is quite nice from up here.

Creeping Dementia
26-03-2010, 16:52

So you got 'how long a period of time is one turn from a toy soldiers perspective', all from the original post?

I guess my confusion comes from the term 'in game'. From my perspective 'in game' simply means something that happens in the process of playing. The term 'in game' at no point means 'from an imaginary soldiers perspective' to me. Perhaps its because I don't play D&D or anything like that.

If only 1/3 of replies are understanding what the OP was asking, then statistically that doesn't seem 'perfectly clear' at all.

neko
26-03-2010, 18:54
I wouldn't say that the OP makes great sense as meaning the model's perspective, but it makes a great deal less sense if you try to read it as the player's perspective.

And as an answer to the OP's question itself, I don't think there is a fixed time that a turn represents anymore (if there ever was in the first place). All sense of scale and time has been abstracted to hell and back instead.

htj
26-03-2010, 19:01
6 seconds.

Zeitkraft
26-03-2010, 19:16
This is something I've always wondered as well. I would say mayb 15-30 minutes max for games in the 2k-2.5k pt ranges. Of course, since the models don't behave like real soldiers on a real battle field, it's kinda hard to use the tabletop game as a proverbial measuring stick. Try using the Black Library novels as a reference point and see what you come up with.

borithan
26-03-2010, 20:38
Back in 1st edition a turn represented about 5 seconds of real time. However that scale was daft (the ground scale was also the same as the figure scale, meaning 1"=2 metres, giving really stupidly short ranges... there were special rules for allowing you to shoot much further, with little to no chance of hitting). 2nd ed onwards no time scale is mentioned, as far as I am aware.

Currently? I would say it depended on the scale of the battle, but I would say for a normal 1500 point game, about 5 minutes. 40k represents a company level fire fight, the kind of thing that tends to last about 20-30 minutes (not solidly shooting of course). Epic also suggests a 15 minute game turn, and in that is says that an Assault represents roughly what occurs in 40k game (however, I would say a 40k game starts before the beginning of the assault, and ends a bit after).

Fallenturtle
26-03-2010, 21:11
tournament games are usually schedualed for 2/2 and a half hours. the game lasts a minimal of 5 turns. so for thoes that practice alot of tournament play, like myself. tend to limit their turns to fit into the time frame.

ctsteel
26-03-2010, 23:06
It's fairly abstract - how long does it take for a tank to travel from a to b, or a drop pod to land in the field from orbit, or this group of men to run shooting into that group and hack them up? There's no set value.

But since a 25mm base is regarded as about 6 feet diameter (rough height of a person) you could extract some measure of time based on how long it takes a man to sprint 36feet (6 inch movement running to avoid fire). But again this is all abstraction, since ranges for weapons are very out of sync with that.

Reflex
26-03-2010, 23:57
It is perfectly clear what he was asking from reading the first post, which is concise and to the point. Just because you were one of the 8 that didn't read it is no reason to get pi$$y. Yes, the view is quite nice from up here.

I was going to say this, but Creeping Dementia beat me to it.

So you got 'how long a period of time is one turn from a toy soldiers perspective', all from the original post?

I guess my confusion comes from the term 'in game'. From my perspective 'in game' simply means something that happens in the process of playing. The term 'in game' at no point means 'from an imaginary soldiers perspective' to me. Perhaps its because I don't play D&D or anything like that.

If only 1/3 of replies are understanding what the OP was asking, then statistically that doesn't seem 'perfectly clear' at all.

so now i will just say, what he said, and also, reinforce the point that something is definitively clear and to the point if the majority of posts in this thread misunderstood the OP.

MasterDecoy
27-03-2010, 01:13
The serious answer is "As long as it takes for everything to have happened in that turn to happen"

Which generally means in the first few turns, they could be anything up to 1/2 an hour if not more, but generally as the game continues, the amount of time that has elapsed shortens, with the final few turns being mere seconds. But thats not set in stone.

As for the ground scale, its algorithmic, simply put, each 6" band of range represents an increasingly larger area of ground.

For example we could use a scale of 4, thinking of 0-6" as up to 12 meters, but 7-12" is up too 48 meters (12*4), 13-18" would be up to 192 meters (48*4), 19-24" would be 768 meters (192*4) and so on and so forth.

wazatdingder
27-03-2010, 02:48
Depends on the scale of the fight. 1 model doesn't really mean 1 actual creature/person. Background-wise, it could last for hours and hours. Look at different battles, especially Tyranid. They tend to win by attrition over a longer period of time than just a single brute force attack.

Am I missing something? When did 40k become epic? 1 model is 1 person.

to OP

To get an accurate time think about what you can do in a turn, like Move, Shoot, Assault. A model is about an inch tall and can move 6". So, a 6' tall person would move 36' to represent this action in real life.

Sooo...

1. Get a Shotgun.
2. Move 36'
3. Shoot twice.
4. Charge up to 36'
5. Hit someone.

That should give you a good estimate.:evilgrin:

Logarithm Udgaur
27-03-2010, 03:40
^Just don't do it in Watts, or that person is very likely to hit back.

Xyrex
27-03-2010, 03:43
Ok thanks, ill try that (maybe without shooting or hitting)

WAIT GODAMNIT

I am not eligible for this! I am one of the fasted kids in my high school! I would have to get someone else to do it. Besides, the 40k rulebook says its more of a low, slow run, where people stop to look around.
Ok, trying it now...
So my backyard was just 52 feet. I had to stop and turn around (which i will say is time for shooting/hitting)
I got 10 sec. So i am estimating an average joe in the military needs 15 sec to run 72 feet, shoot, and hit someone.

Xyrex
27-03-2010, 03:44
and yes, i meant the time it takes to run, shoot, ect, not the time to move all the lil dudes and roll the dice. lol

Ignatum
27-03-2010, 17:02
I would use the idea from Epic that "Assault" is representative of everything that happens in a normal game of 40k. So if you can think of the movie Saving Private Ryan, I would imagine the assault on the city at the end as being a game of Epic (a small game of it, of course). And I would think the scene when a squad is in a trench trying to take out a tank as an "Assault". That lasted a few minutes, so I think that's all that a 40k game would be. So a turn would probably a little less than a minute. Just long enough for men to line up a few good shots.

Also, the first post was clear. Seriously. Read it.

Why would he include the "In game" statement? In game, meaning not out of game which is real life. So how long does a turn take from the perspective of the soldiers in game, not the players out of game.

freddieyu
27-03-2010, 17:18
This is actually a problem for me. With an infantry heavy guard I find it difficult to finish my turn in 15-20 minutes. With all the movement as well as lasguns shooting, I can see why pure mech lists are popular in tourneys...this limits the use of horde type armies in tourneys with a strict time limit.

Besides the obvious solution of move trays, I have to train my self more to decide and resolve shooting faster. Which is why I will now try to time myself every turn even in friendly games.