PDA

View Full Version : mycetic spore conversion

fullmetal999
26-03-2010, 17:45
I don't know if this topic was raised before. but Iím wondering what model or conversion would make the best or closest Mycetic Spore as a drop pod.

I was planning on buying a SM drop pod and converting it into a Mycetic Spore (like how from Starcraft Zerg can infest the terrain HQ building.) and place all details needed to make it at least a half decent model...

I was at least wondering what every Tyranid player is thinking on doing for a Mycetic Spore.

Any comments and help would be nice thank you. have a good day.

Vepr
26-03-2010, 17:49
A lot of people were using a toy. I think it might have been plasma hatchers dragons. Anyways the egg thing that the dragon comes in works pretty well. Beasts of War did a youtube special on it. There are some places that are starting to make resin versions. With some air dry modeling clay and tyranid bits you could probably make a decent one yourself.

fullmetal999
26-03-2010, 17:51
ok. kool thank you for your input, i'll check it out.

sliganian
26-03-2010, 18:07
Or you could hollow-out and dry out a pinehapple and paint it. :D

TheShadowCow
26-03-2010, 20:05
Or you could hollow-out and dry out a pinehapple and paint it. :D

That's going to smell *awesome* in 6 months... :p

Not a bad idea though in principle. Foam objects are an excellent starting block for Spores. You need to be quite liberal with the sculpting tools and resin/pva glue/washes etc though to make them look organic enough.

I'd recommend looking at the terrain section on the Hive Fleet Moloch website - lots of good ideas for Tyranid structures (and by extension, Spores) on there, right down to colouration and making them look "wet and alive".

Voss
26-03-2010, 21:49
Smallish nerf footballs. Cut it off about 1/3 of the way down its length, glue to a base and add tentacles, bone plates, gunforms and other biomorphs.

Lantern
26-03-2010, 22:17
I was thinking of smashing a coconut (in a bag) and then glueing the pieces together inside one of the GW craters. Some glue, some paint, some random greenstuff tentacles, and its done.

Clang
26-03-2010, 23:33
The 'infested marine drop pod' idea is perfectly fluffy - your nids are travelling the galaxy in a space hulk, i.e. a non-nid spaceship taken over by nids. But it's an expensive option, given the price of a drop pod.

Some third-party manufacturers have released unofficial spore pods, and they look great but sure ain't cheap.

I've bought some large foam eggs, and will be experimenting with various fillers and coatings, trying for something organic looking but sturdy enough to play with.

Samus_aran115
26-03-2010, 23:36
Use a big gulp from 7/11 and draw Nids on it.

Bunnahabhain
27-03-2010, 00:03
I'm wondering if something could be done with a balloon, and a can of builder expanding filler foam. (http://www.makingdiyeasier.co.uk/unibond/nomorebiggaps.html) is the type of thing if you don't know...

You'll get a roughly ovoid shape, with lots of little surface bubbles, which with the right paint job, should look very much like the charcoaled surface of an organic thing being heated up alot, ie by re-entry heat...

Also, if you cheat, and suspend the balloon so the bottom inch or so sits on a flat surface as it sets, then you'll get a nice flat, table friendly base as if by magic.

Finnith
27-03-2010, 00:48
Easter eggs. Not the chocolate insides but the egg shape plastic container that the chocolate bit lives in. Wait till after Easter and you can pick up 3 eggs for a £1 in the supermarkets or just steal the packaging from children. Bit of paper mache to toughen it up and some green stuff and you should be done. Would probably work out at less than a pound each and you get loads of chocolate to eat/bribe the misses with.

At least thats what my friends planning on doing.

MasterDecoy
27-03-2010, 00:56
I hollowed out a foam ball and glued nid parts onto it, covered it in resin and painted away.

You can see a picture of it in my Plog* linked in my sig if you can be bothered.

*Disclaimer: I am not claiming to be an ace converter.

SandQueen
27-03-2010, 01:06

who want's Pina Coladas?

SandQueen
27-03-2010, 01:07
Use a big gulp from 7/11 and draw Nids on it.

This idea is epic.

Tommygun
27-03-2010, 01:11
I have these guys.

From Armorcast:http://armorcast.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=120_37&products_id=267

Shamutanti
27-03-2010, 01:21
Someone had a whole bunch of plastic hearts that they had sprayed black. Looked pretty awesome and they were bigger than a fex so was 'believable' that they could drop 'em.

komando
27-03-2010, 01:27
Personally I wanted to make a mycetic spore conversion.I'll be waiting:yes:.

FashaTheDog
27-03-2010, 01:31
I was thinking of using live plants for it. A quick look at someting like Hydnora africana (http://listsoplenty.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Hydnora_africana-a.jpg) or Sarracenia leucophylla might be cool.

Sykorax
27-03-2010, 04:01
A couple of 8" long squids would cost you less than buying all those plasma hatchers. Also looks very life like and no painting or conversions required. Easy

Clang
27-03-2010, 04:08
You mean actual real squids? Hmm, better not play in warm weather :)

Seriously, a squid model could make a great basis for a spore conversion, I like the idea of a mouth opening between tentacles to let the passengers out. (Hmm, could also make a cool tervigon.) But I've yet to see any suitable squid models or toys...

Sykorax
27-03-2010, 04:18
Naaaa get them pickled and they'll last forever! As a bonus they already have lash whips and plenty of ripper tentacles already modeled on.

chromedog
27-03-2010, 04:28
Polystyrene foam "eggs" from a local craft shop.
About the same size as the Plasma hatchers and a buck or so each.

Vermin-thing
27-03-2010, 05:00
It might not be the most economic idea ever but I thought about using a carnifex body and a sizable amount of green stuff/terrain putty. Mind you $55 for 35 points. :p

Devil Tree
27-03-2010, 06:12
You could try upside down pine cones. They're basically free if there happens to be a tree nearby.

desave
30-03-2010, 14:17
wonder how people might add the optional venom cannons to mycetic spore conversions??

mightymconeshot
30-03-2010, 14:45
i am using fake plastic oranges. pretty cheap and if you dont care that they are orange no paint job required. i am going to try opening one up to make it look like they cut there way out but i dont see it going to turn out that good.

fullmetal999
30-03-2010, 15:27
Well I think I'm going to go for more of an expense. I'll buy a SM Drop Pod and convert it into the Mycetic Spore and magnetize the top with a gun with a 360 degree pivot rotation. it will only cost £14.40 pretty cheap i think.

keep bringing posting your thoughts.

thank you

Egaeus
30-03-2010, 15:32
Easter eggs. Not the chocolate insides but the egg shape plastic container that the chocolate bit lives in. Wait till after Easter and you can pick up 3 eggs for a £1 in the supermarkets or just steal the packaging from children. Bit of paper mache to toughen it up and some green stuff and you should be done. Would probably work out at less than a pound each and you get loads of chocolate to eat/bribe the misses with.

At least thats what my friends planning on doing.

I'm going to second this idea. Along these lines (as another poster already mentioned I believe) you could get foam eggs from a craft store.

Glue, modeling clay or green stuff could be used to make veins and tentacles...get creative ;). A bit of paint and a base (as these are T&W models they really should have one) and you can have some fairly simple but nice looking Spores.

Dunklezahn
30-03-2010, 15:34
I can highly recommend the Plasma Hatchers toys, they're dirt cheap, good size have a stupid clockwork toy that you can probably throw away, but also have a gloopy centre thing that you can use for niddy terrain.

They already have all the organic details as part of the plastic so even if your a sucky modeller like me you can just whack paint on em in your hive fleets colours and be done!

Stickmonkey
30-03-2010, 16:02
It's Easter. They sell Huge hard plastic eggs with multiple candies in them. half the shell is clear half colored. They are virtually the size of SM drop pod and cost under 5$. I found them at Target. Bottom and one side is flat, I plan to lay them on side in one of the small craters, then model around with bits for lashes and weapons. The flat of the bottom will be converted to look like a mouth or egress of some type. They are easily bigger than a Fex, so work great. Should take paint well with a light sanding to rough up the plastic, but I'd base coat with a krylon plastic paint to be sure...that type of plastic has a lot of oil in it.

fullmetal999
30-03-2010, 17:46
ok since the eggs are so cheap right now ill buy a bucnh and have fun... lol

Vexbane
01-04-2010, 09:15
I bought a few of the plasma hatchers myself after watching the beasts of war article. They are the perfect size imo, a fex can almost hide completely behind one, and they are basically all converted for you and look very alien. I might add a few spawn tentacles and that's it. i would buy one and give it a try. Here is a link to the BoW vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ger0axTeZ88

Samus_aran115
02-04-2010, 04:53
This idea is epic.

yep, twas' what I did. I drew an ultramarines "omega-thing" on them for drop pods, a skeleton for monoliths and genestealers with tongues for bugz. Look great:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

MidnightKid333
25-03-2011, 21:07

Not a bad idea though in principle. Foam objects are an excellent starting block for Spores. You need to be quite liberal with the sculpting tools and resin/pva glue/washes etc though to make them look organic enough.

I'd recommend looking at the terrain section on the Hive Fleet Moloch website - lots of good ideas for Tyranid structures (and by extension, Spores) on there, right down to colouration and making them look "wet and alive".

i used fruit for a mycetic spore conversion aswell, although it was an orange, ripped open with one big tear down the length of the peel, but it went moldy and furry, very disgusting, got thrown out quickly :P. a pineapple is definitley a cooler idea though since it has the spikey things on the side

enygma7
25-03-2011, 23:06
What about doing something with these cheap plastic jellyfish?

http://www.tapirback.com/tapirgal/gifts/friends/aquatic/jellyfish-plastic-blue-green-yellow-f1633.htm

Angelwing
26-03-2011, 10:31
I used the mega blocks plasma hatchers (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mega-Bloks-Plasma-Hatchers-Creature/dp/B00172T48E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301131836&sr=8-1). Keep an eye out for them in the bargain bin stores.
I was lucky and picked up 6 for £1.67 each...:cool:

One point to note is that they seem to have quite a bit of release agent on them and need a very good scrub before painting.

the cat
10-08-2011, 23:50
i know this is quite an old thread but im hoping people still view it, Was searching for good mycetic spore conversions and modelling guides and came across this forum. Im planning on making my own as it seems no one makes a half decent model. That's where you may be able to help??/ has anyone found a decent mycetic spore model out there???

Lord Gabranth
11-08-2011, 00:01
Chapter House Studios has one that I found and its not a half bad looking model but the price isnt that half good either. $35 for one spore. But I suppose if you knew how to cast your own molds, you could buy one and cast your own from there. Only thing is, is that it doesnt open like a drop pod. Once you have it together its a solid model bigger then a carnifex

http://chapterhousestudios.com/webshop/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=104&category_id=34

the cat
11-08-2011, 07:08
i had actually come across that one after i posted last night, yeah its alright just dont think it looks tyranid-esque enough. Although the price doesnt seem too bad to me, thats only a little more then a marine drop pod. i may consider it.

cheers for the link

TheConverter15
11-08-2011, 11:31
I'm probably going to get some plasma hatchers and place some upright scything talons from a carnifex underneath, make it look like the pose of a dreadclaw, may be a problem with line of sight :/

underachiever
11-08-2011, 12:52
if you can find a model of the 'sprit within' alien battle pods that would be cool.

the cat
11-08-2011, 22:49
i had a look on ebay earlier and if you type in mycetic spore there are some interesting models that come up. From looking at some of the ones that come up in google images i recon it wont be that hard afterall to make one. Guess GW will make a plastic kit for it eventually.....at least i hope so