PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about quitting

RexTalon
27-03-2010, 02:06
So I've been at it for many years. I started before Necromunda came out and my IG army is freaking huge.

I've been painting a SM army and a nid army for a while now but I'm starting to think... Do I even want to play this any more?

I mean, I just turned 35 a couple days ago. My career is starting to take a serious turn for the better. My wife and I don't have kids, so there's nobody to pass all this stuff on to. I'm starting to worry that if I go down to the local store, people will think I'm a molester or something.

I don't play in tournaments, and I'm only slightly interested in conventions. I love to paint and convert at times, but playing just doesn't seem that much fun any more.

Should I just sell all my old metal Cadians and tanks and buy something I'll actually use?

And really, I'm sort of asking this because I want to see if my own thoughts come out of someone else, rather than to take some sort of public poll. So, post your thoughts on the matter. Is there an age or interest limit for you? Where's your line in the sand?

Tommygun
27-03-2010, 02:10
Pack up your guard army and store it for a year or two.
Then if you still feel like selling it, do so.

Elanthanis
27-03-2010, 02:11
If you still enjoy modeling and painting by all means indulge in it from time to time. Even if you're selling painted models on ebay you're at least giving that artistic muscle a flex.

OverchargeThis!
27-03-2010, 02:12
I recommend you hold onto your stuff. Just shelve it for a year of two. I left the hobby at the end of 4th, and while I don't have much time to play, I'm happy I still have everything b/c I came back.

Another buddy of mine shelved his stuff when 3rd edition came out, and got back into the hobby at the end of 4th. That's a good 8 years of so.

I think it's called burnout, and it passes.

SandQueen
27-03-2010, 02:14
I'm not sure where I stand on quitting. I just started a few months ago. But I've put alot of money and effort into learning the ins and outs of this game and that's going to last me a while.

As for age there are people at my LGS that are past 60. There are also kids that are in the 11-12 bracket. So dont worry about age. It sounds like you've put alot of time and effort into it so why not stick with it?

Hicks
27-03-2010, 02:19
If you don't want to play, but still like painting and modelling, I think you should just do that. I know I hate painting in general, but doing big monsters and HQs is the one thing I could do forever.

Taking a break is of course the best you can do. You never know when you'll want to play again and you don't want to regret getting rid of your army if it happens.

Just think of all the hours you spent preparing and painting those minis. That was a monumental task, something you can really be proud of. You can't just get rid of it all just because you feel a bit depressed about the hobby.

There is a lot you can do to reignite the spark, like writing fluff for you armies or converting something special like a character or unit. Try to find new players, older ones if possible. Read BL novels too, too many people start armies because of those, I'm sure they can help fall in love with an existing force all over again too.

Project2501
27-03-2010, 02:31
Sell your guard.

Buy a (very) few models you just absolutely love. Assemble/convert/paint them up to the point of shear beauty.

As time marches on while doing this, you'll notice a subconcious trend towards a particular army. At the point it becomes obvious even to you which army you're inadvertantly favoring, buy a few more models/units for it.

You now have a beautifully assembled/painted army that you want to play even though you never knew it.

And some spectacular showcase models on theside to boot.

wazatdingder
There are a lot of us in our 30's and, at least in my area, we hang out the our LGS. I basically sat out 4th ed, but now I'm happier than ever, and I've been playing about as long as you.

If you do decide to quit I think it is a horribly painful idea to sell off your figs.:cries: The idea has led me to form an orphanage for unwanted minis where you can give me your precious metal cadians free of charge and I will make sure that they live on in the glory of the emperor. :angel: This saves you the heartache of realizing that you'll never get the price it costs to rip out a piece of your heart and sell it to some snotty punk online who will never really appreciate them and is probably a WAAC player just looking for a deal who when complemented on his awesome collection says, "I wish they were plastic.:wtf:"

freddieyu
Take a break!...mine lasted 2 years when I started a new job (2006-2008), and prior to that I was playing both WHFB and 40K since 1998. The release of 5th ed has REALLY revitalized me and I'm back into 40k with a gusto! (Although I will probably get back to WHFB after 8th ed. The 7th ed environment (not the rules, just the imbalance) really sucks now...

burad
27-03-2010, 02:32
I'll turn 56 this summer, and i have no intention of quitting. I haven't been playing this very long, but i've been playing miniatures wargames since 1974.
If your army is taking up space you need for something else, sell it. If not, keep it for a while and see how the game develops. A new version of the rules may spark your interest.
Another tack you could take is to be the organizer of large games, or even campaigns. The great thing about being the organizer is you're the adjudication authority, so you can stop rules abuses when they happen. Plus you can set the stage and fluff for the situation creating the scenario.
There's lots you can do besides just the old 'both sides get 1750 points' bit.

Bestaltan
27-03-2010, 02:41
Heh. I use my Warhammer Fantasy figs in my D&D campaign. Makes for some really incredible sessions when your player characters are in the middle of a battle rather than just dungeon stomping.

Fortunately for me, my local gaming club plays a LOT of different games. Any given week there may be historicals, BFG, 40k apocalypse-style battles, Mordheim, home-grown games, etc. Keeps me from getting too burned out on 40k.

Ironmonger
27-03-2010, 02:54
I'll be 30 in a few months now:cries: and I've just recently come back into the hobby after more then a decade off, and every time I think about selling my Space Wolves, Imperial Army and Genestealer Cult I swear I want to cry and beat the **** out of myself in equal measure. If you want to take a break, pack up and store the figs you have until 6th rolls around:)

And yes, I too sometimes wonder about 'appearances' in-store. In the UK it wasn't really an issue; nearly everyone was around my age or older whom I played. In the US (at least around here) there seems to be something of a stigma about 'old' wargamers... like we should have gone on to something else. Heh. I went on and then came back;)

Don't sell your army.:(

Creeping Dementia
27-03-2010, 03:03
I wouldn't sell quite yet, hold on to the army for a while just to be sure. I use Warhammer as a relaxation technique (painting), and also to flex those competitive muscles in tournaments. I'm real busy with school as a pre-Med undergrad, but having the hobby really keeps me sane.

Holding onto the army for at least 2 years sounds about right. I'm an ex-Fantasy player, and one day I won a larger local tournament with my Lizardmen, used the winnings to buy my Tau army (at least the second half of it), and haven't played a Fantasy game since. That was about 2 years ago. My fully painted Lizardmen army are still sitting in their foam under my painting table. Even the new Lizardmen Armybook didn't get me back into Fantasy, the system seems so messed up now. It's only been lately I've been considering selling them off, but I'm going to see if the new edition fixes things (like magic... go figure, a Lizardmen player that rocked with minimal magic), then I'll decide what to do with them.

Honestly, if you actually want to stay with the game, go give a tournament or two a try, just some local ones, no need to dish out the expense of the big ones. Throwing a bit of competition at your hobby may be what it takes to get you back into it... if thats the goal.

aeon flux
27-03-2010, 03:34
well, not to be intrusive... but unless there's some higher physiologic reason preventing it, why not having kids?
I thought a lot about quitting before; I've never had so little time to paint and play since I came to the UK. But I hope someday to teach warhammer to my kids and show them the minis I first painted, my first army, and so on. I'm really looking forward to it.

But i'm getting off topic here and a little out of my league, I think. My opinion is: unless you really needed the money, you shouldn't sell your minis. when in doubt, don't make decisions you might regret later on. put them aside for awhile, like somebody else suggested. think about it: would you rather be browsing through a minis catalogue and thinking "I have that" or thinking "I used to have that"?

I think sooner or later most of us will end up with some sort of museum of retired minis; a collection of old glories we no longer use in battles. they wer our companions of many battles. they deserve a good rest, not a goodbye.

my 2 cents

sigur
27-03-2010, 03:44
...My opinion is: unless you really needed the money, you shouldn't sell your minis. when in doubt, don't make decisions you might regret later on. ...

Seconded. That is a very important thing to remember. There's so many people who sold their old armies and really regretted it few years later.

I understand how you feel about going to the LGS to play and I'm starting to be in that age group as well. Last time when i visited the GW store to watch a game I really felt like the "creepy old man" standing there. Okay, it was Friday afternoon so many kids were around but still, it felt wrong. It may not actually be but it feels weird. Start looking for gaming groups of people who are a bit older that meet regularly (20+ or something). Not only will you probably get along with these people (given that they aren't total jerks), they also might introduce you to new games you enjoy, take a break from 40k and come back again later.

Sykorax
27-03-2010, 03:54
Another reason to shelve them for a year or two first - Do not sell them unless you find yourself another hobby!!!!

I've quit and sold everything twice. Once I just didn't want to play anymore but soon came back without anything to do. The other time I picked up another hobby and was able to hold off for 4-5 years but now have come back again due to the lack of interest in the other hobby again.

The thing is, I believe most people will come back if they sell if they do not have anything else to pass the time.

Sounds like you may be having a mid life identity crisis or doubt in yourself. 35 is no big deal. Be proud of what you've collected & done and what you have with your career & wife. Don't worry about all those who will "judge you as a molester". You're probably better off and have done more than the ones who would even have the notion to think that!

chromedog
27-03-2010, 04:33
I'm 41.
I started in 1987 with RT.

I don't go to the local store because of munchkins and the staff annoy me.
I have (non-store) clubs to go to. One has a couple of players closer to my age, the other has a bunch of university students (so they're at least adults).

I'm also married and no children to pass it on to. I don't do it as a "legacy" to pass on. If you want to stop and give it up, then do so.

I'll just flog my stuff off when I'm too old. I'll have already got my "money's worth" by then, and the moneys from that/those sales will be a bonus.

Void Reaper
27-03-2010, 04:54
As a lot of people on here have said, hold onto your stuff and wait a while.

Personally, I play a lot of different wargames, mainly historical. I play 40k for the figures and the fluff---I can understand burn out from only playing 40k, it's a pretty lackluster system from a rules-perspective. I don't know if you want to try any other games, but that might break you out of the non-gaming mindset (if you want to break out from it).

carlisimo
27-03-2010, 05:20
My life is too busy to play or even paint much. Career's picking up, just bought a house, planning a wedding...

But one day I'll be back! No way I'm selling anything. And you've got old Imperial Guard - those figures are special! Keep them, you never know when you might want them again.

LKHERO
27-03-2010, 09:39
Whatever you do, don't sell your army.

When I moved to California from Jersey to start a new job, I sold off my Eldar army. At that time it was my only 40K army. I also left my Dwarves and a High Elves at home. A year later, I wanted to play again and had all that stuff shipped to me. Since I didn't have a 40K army anymore, I had to rebuy everything.

Sometimes real life takes us in a direction where hobbies are on the backburner. But believe me when I say, you will eventually get back into it, and for the same reason you got into it in the first place :)

Nexus Trimean
27-03-2010, 09:49
Never sell an army unless you have to, Shelve it for a year. Honestly, A lot of people have quit, sold there stuff, and come back to it years later and been kicking themselves. take a year or two, then sell your army.

There is no age limit, i know several guys in there 40's and 50's who play. so its an age limit that is in your mind.

Take a break, paint one or two things at a time, have some fun. then in a few months see if you still want to play. Everybody takes breaks, i took a year off, decided after that i wanted to play again, glad i still had my Marines.

Logarithm Udgaur
27-03-2010, 10:26
For 35 years you have sat immobile across the Gaming Table. You are the master of 40K by the will of the Wallet, and master of a million games by the might of your inexhaustible armies. You are losing interest, writhing invisibly with power from the late '80s early '90s. You are the Dirty Old Man,whom a thousand eyes accuse every day, for whom paint is spilled and flash filed. Metal flash and plastic crack----the stuff of which your Armies are made.

To be a man in such time is to be one among untold millions. It is to live in the most anemic and unwashed society imaginable. This is the tale of those times. It is a Universe you can leave today if you dare-for this is a dark and terrible era, where you will find little hope for a balanced game system. If you want to part from this adventure then prepare yourself now. Forget the power of the design studio, White Dwarf, and common humanity. Forget the promise of codex updates and new models, for there is no peace among Warseer, only an eternity of whinging and flame wars and the laughter of banning mods.

But the Universe is a big place, and whatever happens, you will not be missed....

In all seriousness, take a break for awhile and see if you don't feel like partaking some more after a year or two. Like others have advised, I would not sell anything unless you need the space/cash. Also, fu(& what other people think when you go into a game store, most of us (humanity) are @$$holes anyway.

Griffindale
27-03-2010, 11:38
Just put your stuff away in a closet somewhere and chill on the game for a while. Just enjoy other things for a bit. When you find yourself wanting to come back to it you'll still have your stuff and can enjoy it.

AFnord
27-03-2010, 11:49
Also, if you feel that the people in the store gives you strange looks because of your age, try to find a gaming group with slightly older people. The main GW stores seem to attract a lot of younger people, while most gaming clubs seem to be for the slightly more mature players.

Zeroth
27-03-2010, 13:42
Selling your army you might regret. But if you take a break you won't regret that, been away from Warhammer for 4 years, before that I simply lost the interest and wanted to prior my spare time differently.

Try a new hobby, you might be surprised! Whatever floats your boat really, golfing, tennis, scuba diving there's always something to do

Dr.Mercury
27-03-2010, 13:54
I quit playing 40k and WH for several years.
I sold off all my stuff, and started focusing on some of the independent game companies like Rackham and Privateer.

I still play games like Infinity, Helldorado Uncharted Seas and Malifaux
But about 2 years ago I got back into both 40K and Fantasy.
I turn 35 in May, and the majority of players at the LGS are between the ages of 23 and 30. I am on the older end of the spectrum, but there are some people at the shop that are older than myself, and I have known them and dice'ed with them since RT.

My advice to you would be to take a break if you are not enjoying things. Don't sell your stuff, as WHEN(not if) you come back to the fold, you will regret selling it all (trust me I know)
Good luck

neko
27-03-2010, 13:55
Quitting Games Workshop is easy. I've done it loads of times.

On a more serious note, I agree with not selling your army straight away unless you're sure that you don't want to return and/or want to get rid of any temptation to return.

honour13
27-03-2010, 13:57
I'd shelve it if i was you, i quit about 8 years ago and i regret throwing everything out, if only for the bits i had.

For some reason the only things i have left are a un-assembled 3rd edition Hive Tyrant, parts of a blood thirster, and random bits from pretty much every army in 40k. God knows how much money i spent in changing army ideas for about 3 years, pretty sure i tried them all, the only one i stuck with was chaos all the way through.

But then again for example i've got about 8 thousand sons heads and the sorceror, but no bodies and the sponsons of a predator tank, i've no idea what i did with any of my army. My memory is so bad i can't remember if i threw them/ sold them or still have them in the attic.

Anyway rant over, don't get rid of them if theres a marginal chance you may want them in the future. It'll be easier to get rid in say 2 years when your sure, rather than change your mind in 2 years and have no army.

RexTalon
27-03-2010, 18:59
well, not to be intrusive... but unless there's some higher physiologic reason preventing it, why not having kids?

They eat time and money. But most of all, they eat patience. My wife gets frustrated very quickly.

She supports me keeping everything, but she and I both believe that if you don't wear a shirt for more than a year and a half then you should donate it. So I kind of feel like giving it up if I don't use it.

However, I hear the echo requests of not selling my army. I did do that once. I sold the Mordians I owned. I regretted it a year later and turned to an ebay buying spree. Damn them for looking so much like the House Atreides guards!

Alright, I'll box em up and see what happens.

Jellicoe
27-03-2010, 20:27
What others have said. I took 10 years out of the hobby - ie most of the 90's due to space, cashflow and getting into other wargaming. Old figs from the 80's now ressurected and repainted and happily back in the hobby with no bitter regrets about dumping old toy soldiers. If you have the loft space then stash them away. Age and job are completely irrelevant I might add. Being 37 and being a director of a hospital have bog all to do with my gaming habits

Deja Dude
27-03-2010, 23:33
Don't sell your stuff unless you really need the money. Two more reasons why; first think of all the time, care and thought you've taken into collecting your army. Maybe I'm a sentimental fool, but there's got to be some emotional connection there. Second, look how much OOP stuff goes for on eBay - if after a couple of years there's still no spark and it's just cluttering up your house, sell it for more money!

I fled the good ship GW a couple of years ago in favor of Flames of War, but have recently considered getting back into 40K. I'm so glad I didn't get rid of anything, big chunks of my collection are still some of my most cherished teenage memories.

O&G'sRule
28-03-2010, 01:24
I understand this completely, I took an 8 year break, I just one day stopped playing and never even went in a store or looked at any models during that time, I'd just finished my A-levels and there just wasn't room for it in my life. I find modelling and painting more what interests me nowadays, creating something unique and getting my painting standard to where I want it to be. I play occasionally. I'd say take the break, don't get rid of anything (I did and get very nostalgic because of this) but put them completely out of the way so they aren't even a thought. When/if you feel you're missing it go back and do only the parts of the hobby that interest you.

johnynoi
28-03-2010, 01:56
I too took a decade away from any sort of painting and gaming, ended up losing most of my 2nd Ed collection that I spent every birthday and Christmas for years building up! There were some great models back then, and people think its grimdark now! I found as my life gets on and more and more responsibility piles onto my shoulders that having an escape into my own little hobby is a godsend!

Picking up a miniature and painting for even an hour is a great way to relax, and let the mind drift off into whatever fluffy section of our fantastic made up universe beats having P&L accounts, spreadsheets and human resources issues popping into my head in my free time! I don't play many games, but still pop down to my local GW for a bit of painting and socialising even though I'm nearer the older end of the patrons at my local. Heck, most of the kids there would smack me sideways in games anyway!

My point is, don't give up on it completely, you may find that having an outlet like ours is worth its weight in gold when you've had a bad week at work. If only we could quit work when we burn out as easily as we quit the things we love doing!

jasdc1
28-03-2010, 04:59
I turn 35 in a couple months, just got my BA codex. Don't do anything rash unless you are ready to completely get out of the game. I would hate to try to get into this game at the price stage that GW has decided for us. You obviously have been collecting for quite some time as I have. If you like the looks of what you have compared to what is currently available, I would definitely not get rid of anything.

Voss
28-03-2010, 06:32
And really, I'm sort of asking this because I want to see if my own thoughts come out of someone else, rather than to take some sort of public poll. So, post your thoughts on the matter. Is there an age or interest limit for you? Where's your line in the sand?

No offense, but I think the line is asking the internet to make a personal decision for me. If you want to quit, quit. If not, don't.
It isn't any kind of moral or public decision. If you don't enjoy your hobby any more, sell it and find a new one. There isn't any hidden wisdom here.

e2055261
28-03-2010, 06:34
Kids get in the way of gaming and modelling, I can tell you that ;) Fingers crossed when they're older.

Try a new army or new club. This may reinvigorate your interest. From the tone of your thread, you don't sound happy in general?

DEADMARSH
28-03-2010, 10:21
They eat time and money. But most of all, they eat patience. My wife gets frustrated very quickly.

She supports me keeping everything, but she and I both believe that if you don't wear a shirt for more than a year and a half then you should donate it. So I kind of feel like giving it up if I don't use it.

However, I hear the echo requests of not selling my army. I did do that once. I sold the Mordians I owned. I regretted it a year later and turned to an ebay buying spree. Damn them for looking so much like the House Atreides guards!

Alright, I'll box em up and see what happens.

Rex, don't sell, man. I remember talking to you on Waryammer back in the day.

If you don't want to store them at the house or want them to be used or whatever, what about taking (some of) your stuff down to the game store and telling them they can use it as a shop army? I remember seeing pics of your stuff, anybody would be proud to put it on the table and game with it.

And as far as the kid thing? Man, my wife and I were two months shy of being married for 10 years when we found out she was pregnant with our first kid. We hadn't been trying, but we hadn't been not trying since about 2004. I'd just pretty well reached the point in my own head that one of us or both of us had some kind of issues in that department, but low and behold, our boy is going to be born in about a month and a half. Things could change, man. You never know.

Mabd
28-03-2010, 10:34
Played fantasy as a kid with my cousins, some friends and my stepfather. I had over 10k points in High Elves, Dwarfs, Empire, and assorted values in Undead and Orcs/gobbos.

I had the masses of the old square base (Space Marine/Titan Legions) Epic figures and Imperator Titans, Warhounds, Warlords, Knights etc... can't even begin to think of the points values.

Every bit of summer job money went on them, birthday money etc... etc.

Burned out. Sold the lot.

Regret it all the time.

Storing is easy, rebuying memories is not.

EldritchRaider
28-03-2010, 11:54
Do whatever you want to do. I wouldn't sell my own army, even if I quit it's a memory to be kept- but if you want, just go ahead and sell most of it, and keep you're most prized models, or keep nothing but your memories. Your choice. And age isn't really a problem, neither is leaving it to anybody really, as long as you're enjoying yourself and it's convenient with your everyday life.

DarkMark
28-03-2010, 13:53
This saves you the heartache of realizing that you'll never get the price it costs to rip out a piece of your heart and sell it to some snotty punk online who will never really appreciate them and is probably a WAAC player just looking for a deal who when complemented on his awesome collection says, "I wish they were plastic.:wtf:"

+1

I sold a ton of my RT stuff, thinking I'd never need/ want it again:(, and guess what I've always regretted it. You're usually lucky to even get any positive feed back:mad:

Explore another part of the hobby, or just take a break for a while. If you don't want to game any more then just paint an army for fun. At least you won't have to worry about a list being dead killy, just pretty:p!

RexTalon
29-03-2010, 01:45
No offense, but I think the line is asking the internet to make a personal decision for me.

Quite the opposite. I just don't think you understand what I was saying.

Subconsciously I already know what it is that I feel is the right choice for me. If I see it in print perhaps I will see into my own blind spot and take action. Whether that action is to pack up my stuff for later, sell it all, or to just keep plugging away, I didn't know. Sometimes people can put into words what you're thinking better than you can. If you think that's bunk then maybe you should study psychology a little more.

Rex, don't sell, man. I remember talking to you on Waryammer back in the day.

If you don't want to store them at the house or want them to be used or whatever, what about taking (some of) your stuff down to the game store and telling them they can use it as a shop army? I remember seeing pics of your stuff, anybody would be proud to put it on the table and game with it.

Thanks for the compliment. I think I will just pack up my stuff for a few years and see what happens. Although, unless something worth printing in the journal of medicine happens, I'm pretty sure we won't be having kids. ;)

Captain_Trips01
29-03-2010, 02:37
What I would do is sell off a few chunks of your armies and put the rest away for a while. You can continue painting/modelling in that time. Then, if after a long time you haven't wanted to play again, then you can consider selling the rest.

owen matthew
29-03-2010, 05:07
Pack up your guard army and store it for a year or two.
Then if you still feel like selling it, do so.

this, absolutely.

Moepho
29-03-2010, 05:22
Check out this video from Adpeticon....Pretty clear it's an all ages hobby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOwLxcGHmYc

Hellebore
29-03-2010, 06:32
I understand your position on excess 'stuff' but I think that something as labour intensive as a model hobby goes a bit beyond an old t-shirt.

I will never part with any of my miniatures because each one holds an important place in my memories. Each one is a little story, whether it was the first time I figured out how to blackline, convert, or do eyes, the effort that went into them is a value beyond the price I paid for them (which hasn't been GW retail for 11 years...:p).

I won't sell or throw out drawings I do because I made them for a reason. The same applies to my miniatures, because they are an intricate art in and of themselves.

Just my opinion. I don't play very much at the moment either.

Hellebore

DarkMark
29-03-2010, 15:21
I've tried giving up GW many times, but I'm no quitter:D

Sooner or later that clock starts ticking so loud you can't ignore it.:)

Fuzzymoldyork
29-03-2010, 16:44
I have been having a similar crisis of warhammer here. For the past couple of months I have been painting up the space marine half of the starter set with the intention of building an army. But recently I have come to the conculsion that I do not need to start another army and I have decided to finish paiting it and sell it (I figure crimson fists was a good chapter to do this with).

But as I have been thinking about selling this army my other ones have come to mind. Right now I have three fantasy armies and three 40K armies (if you count the space marine one) and I have come to the conclusion that I'm a little old to have all these armies. My plan has become to finish painting the armies and models that I have and sticking with one per system. The problem is that I also want to begin battlefleet gothic and I want my fleet to be the same as my army.

Honestly, I have no clue if I will stay in warhammer for much longer and I want to make some money on what I already have invested before it becomes a waste.

To you, I say good luck. Making the decision can be very difficult when you have invested so much time and money into a hobby to get out of it.

cptmachine
29-03-2010, 17:42
I orginally came to this thread to give you grief, I wasnt about to stroke your ego to say "dont leave we need you" I see posts like this all the time on others hobbies and its usually social trolling or cries for attension.

However reading the comments I realise its an issue that comes up from time to time. Firstly if you bored of the game pack your stuff away or sell it and maybe in the future you love of the game will return. I left shortly after 3rd and it took 5th edition and some good mates playing the game to get me back in.

If your doing this because of some social stigma, then STOP!
I suspect you live in the UK if you obessed with how you appear to others in the company of children, since we brits seem to be obsessed over the subject (but I could be wrong the US could be just as mental). Go to a wargames convensation and you will see that you will struggle to find anyone below the age of 30, with the average ages in some circles doubling that. Playing kids games is no stigma and doesnt assume anything of you. I turn 30 this year and play 40K, Dungeons & Dragons, Pokemon, Magic the Gathering, World of Warcraft to name just a few games, some are more aimed at kids than others but there is nothing; and I mean NOTHING that says you cant do them when your older, this aint Logans Run.

RexTalon
30-03-2010, 04:35
I orginally came to this thread to give you grief, I wasnt about to stroke your ego to say "dont leave we need you" I see posts like this all the time on others hobbies and its usually social trolling or cries for attension.

However reading the comments I realise its an issue that comes up from time to time. Firstly if you bored of the game pack your stuff away or sell it and maybe in the future you love of the game will return. I left shortly after 3rd and it took 5th edition and some good mates playing the game to get me back in.

If your doing this because of some social stigma, then STOP!
I suspect you live in the UK if you obessed with how you appear to others in the company of children, since we brits seem to be obsessed over the subject (but I could be wrong the US could be just as mental). Go to a wargames convensation and you will see that you will struggle to find anyone below the age of 30, with the average ages in some circles doubling that. Playing kids games is no stigma and doesnt assume anything of you. I turn 30 this year and play 40K, Dungeons & Dragons, Pokemon, Magic the Gathering, World of Warcraft to name just a few games, some are more aimed at kids than others but there is nothing; and I mean NOTHING that says you cant do them when your older, this aint Logans Run.

You make some good points. I actually live just south of Tacoma, Washington. (for now) Right now I'm on temporary orders to Colorado Springs.

I guess my problem is that the only convention I find myself going to is Gen Con Indy. And I only go to that to hang out with my east coast and central US friends. I don't go to Adeptacon or any other gaming conventions, much less those that are centered around 40k. I guess I'm missing that perspective and I thank you for providing that insight.

The other part of it is that I'm changing jobs soon. I'm about to take up a position that requires a higher clearance level than I have now, and I was a little worried that this "kids hobby" might reflect badly on me. After talking to a few people, I think I can relax a little more and be myself. They don't really care about what you do in your off-time as long as it's not something that could jeopardize national security or something. It's not like the weapons of mass destruction I play with are real. ;)

Hoodwink
30-03-2010, 04:57
I understand completely where you are coming from and I went through it.

I'll give you a little synopsis of what I went through:

I started in 2nd and played through the 3rd. Then I quit. I had accumulated an IG army and Blood Angels army. I just didn't play anymore and didn't have the time with juggling college, job, and girl.

I got out of college, I've landed in jail (as a job :D), and I am currently looking into FBI. Any hobby is good to have as a credential because most jobs like these require an out for stress.

I recently had a huge longing to get back into the game. I wish dearly I had kept my IG and, most recently, Blood Angels army. So I ended up having to start all over again and get all the necessary materials and start up Nids (Which I'd always actually wanted to do). Sucks having to start from scratch and have to build up from ground zero again.

That said, I would most definitely hold onto the units for a while and see how you react to getting away from the game for a bit. Just get some models here and there and keep up the painting. If you really don't care to play after a few years, metal cadians fully painted will net you some profit. But I would definitely wait and see.

It sucks to get back into the game after a long hiatus and have nothing waiting for you that you spent so long to achieve.

I don't really play at any real tournaments; bar maybe a local one. I just play for the fun of the game and to get out of the house and socialize. You'll pick up some good friends who are nice to have when it's rainy and all you wanna do is sit in a basement playing with little plastic toys and watching tv :D

Greyghost
30-03-2010, 06:07
Just became 44 this month…

Played a few games off and on with my friends for a year or two total, and we’ve stocked-piled ever since…about 23 years worth! Still only painted maybe 10% of all my models :eyebrows:

Anyway, started in 1987 with Rogue Trader, then to Fantasy, Necromunda, Blood Bowl…advance 20 years or so, then “started” Battlefleet Gothic, Epic40K, Inquisitor, and finally Space Hulk. Buying old Gothic and Epic40K pieces are so much more costly now, even with Ebay (was more cost effective through bartertown before).

Back when I started with 40K, you’d get 2 lead Terminators for $6.50 I think it was, or was it 3 Terminators, sheez I forgot!

Anyway think of that, seeing 5 Terminators now for $50 alone makes me think of holding on to my miniatures as long as I can in case I feel like repurchasing them. Granted with the details that are put into the new miniatures, you may say it’s worth it, but the same sculptor, Jes Goodwin and company, made a lot of my old figures, so I’m still happy with them.

So, clear out what you have to, but hold on to those you hold dear, especially the painted models where they become basically priceless to you. Imagine the time you took to “create” them.

I find that displaying your painted models as much as your space allows will prevent you from selling them off too quickly.

On a final note: Collecting figures for all these years, it’s become more than “just” a gaming hobby, but more of a science-fiction experience, especially with the Black Library books, all the lore, the DoW games, and a possible 40K movie, I think it’s ok to grow older and still justify your “hobby”. Good Luck!

laudarkul
30-03-2010, 06:49
I'm over 30 and only 3 years old in the 40k Universe. I would say keep the models and do not give up playing. In my area I'm the oldest I think and it was weird at the beginning but now it's ok. And is your wife supports you much better.
So age is not a matter for me as long as I'm having a lot of fun.

Pacorko
30-03-2010, 07:23
I can tell you, I've been with the games almost since they got out. I've sold a few armies--GW and others, left the hobby--and I mean the Hobby, not just GW models--for a while, came back, bought some stuff again, sold it, traded for it, bought new stuff, focused my interests, made calerful plans, sold some stuff again...

I'm 37, no kids--pretty much her call, but that's all right--, we just bought a new flat in a posh part of town, my career is going well and I expect it to go even better before this year ends....

... and there's no way I'm selling my stuff, ever again. I don't play with a big group nor every week, but I like to do so whenever I can. Same goes for modelling and painting, although I get to do this more often than gaming.

My only rule of thumb--derived from comicbook collecting: if it has been sitting in a box for more than a year and half, and you don't feel like taking it out... you most definitely don't need it. Thus, it can go to secondhand stores, ebay or charity.

Finally, I've never had to justify my hobby to ANYONE nor would stand to, and there have been many job/client interviews when I have been asked about my hobbies and amongst two more, I mention wargaming/modelling every single time and don't go into anything but the basic details.

Sure, I've gotten some puzzled looks, but I always landed the job, and it's because of my hobbies that I have the clients I now have, and no... I'm not a professional painter, sculptor or converter. So, everyone's off-time is both sacred and unquestionable--if you're doing legal things, of course. ;)

Mabd
30-03-2010, 08:28
Heh, it's in my "Hobbies/Outside pursuits" in my Curriculum Vitae (career stats, I guess, if you're not familiar)... though, I call it: "Tabletop Wargaming".

Sounds so much better than "Toy Soldiers".