PDA

View Full Version : using ig in fantasy

Devastator
27-03-2010, 22:07
would you allow your opponent use guardsmen as militia/archers in proper bases?

The Red Scourge
27-03-2010, 22:13
Let people proxy till they get a hang of the game, but Warhammer is a game of shoddy rules and poor balance. Its only strength is its fluff, so don't mess with it :)

Condottiere
27-03-2010, 22:38
I have no problems with proxies, but scifi miniatures are only to be used as a last resort.

kaubin
27-03-2010, 23:50
I say yes, no problem, but that probably comes from me wanting to field my Orcs as Orks :D

Unuhexium
28-03-2010, 00:38
If it is a proxy, then yes... once or twice.

On a related note: I've been playing around with the idea of Feral World Militia in the form of WoC marauders armed with lasguns in addition to their sharp implements.

Agnar the Howler
28-03-2010, 00:49
Sure, heck i'd even let them use the guardsmen exactly as they are in 40k! I'd still smash them in CC, I get armour saves against all their weapons and they're about as good at shooting as anything that's BS3. True, they get a fair amount of shots, but they're guardsmen! They have to make sure that at least 1 shot hurts your eyes.

mattjgilbert
28-03-2010, 00:55
Yeah sure, why not. So long as your opponent knows what they are and what they are armed with I don't see a problem.

Devil Tree
28-03-2010, 08:28
No. It's like showing up to a Renaissance Fair dressed up as a Trekkie. Some lines just shouldn't be crossed.:mad:

Devastator
28-03-2010, 11:32
guard is the least sci-fi in 40k so im not asking to use carnifex as hydra
and the guard should have rigth weapons

Sleazy
28-03-2010, 17:41
nope, its taking it too far and theres no fluff at all to support it.

Like anyone else I wouldnt be bothered if you wanted a 1 game proxy but otherwise you can buy fantasy minis like everyone else.

Devastator
28-03-2010, 18:59
what i mean that guardsmen with proper fantasy weapons (shield,swords) not to throw some random guards to bases and call them militia. "no fluff" so what write some fanfluff
they are simply toy solders,TOY SOLDERS not so big deal

Tarliyn
28-03-2010, 19:35
To op,

I don't think everyone is reading your intial post and just assuming you wanna us all IG models. People do conversions and stuff all the time, I dont see why everyone is freaking out, maybe cause it is a 40k model or something. Now all that being said if they don't look empireish at all or have tons of scifi bits on them then they will look out of place but I dont think anyone would actually care as much as the responses on thread are leaving the impression of. Not only that but it is your money and your army, do what you think looks good and don't worry so much about what people may or may not think about your choices.

Hugh Jarse
29-03-2010, 09:15
I voted yes, on the premis that it would be the shortest time possible as proxy and then replaced with actual models they represent or they were then modified to look more like them.

I used to run a gaming club, and I used to allow it all the time for the younger 40k players, so they could experience what we WHFB players get so excited about, but they were only allowed to do it long enough to get a taste, after that its the proper models or some pretty good WYSIWYG modeling needs to occur ;)

Onidan
29-03-2010, 09:32
So, do I understand you right that you want to equip IG Guardsmen with Swords/Shields or Bows or whatever, but wont do any further conversions to make the more fantasy like?

Id most likely not play against them if thats the case. Theyd feel to out of place for me to feel comfortable with them unless its a proxy game (in which case the fantasy feeling went to hell anyway).

If youd convert them that they wont look too out of place itd be no different than any other conversion and Id play against them.

Sadly, 40k to Fantasy does not work nearly as well as Fantasy to 40k.

Hugh Jarse
29-03-2010, 09:43
Sadly, 40k to Fantasy does not work nearly as well as Fantasy to 40k.

I dont know so much, if you select the right 40k models good results can be had.

I've converted an old 40k Daemon prince into a Tzeenchian Deamon prince, plastic SMs into Warriors, and Im currently WIPing a Tech Priest into a Hero with GW, plus a few others

To be fair the 40k universe does lend itself more readily to Chaos and not much else but then I'm a Chaos player, so...... ;)

Whitehorn
29-03-2010, 09:53
You converted a daemon to a daemon? Well, I suppose there is that...

There's some obvious conversions that work.. Orks to Orcs is easy.

I have converted Inquisitor Lord Torquemada Coteaz to an Arch Lector :)

Condottiere
29-03-2010, 10:08
It's probably easier to make some versions to lightly armoured infantry, as flak vests might look like padded armour. But the headgear and the webbing tends to give it away.

ChaosVC
29-03-2010, 10:17
Only for once and for testing out the game.

DeadInTheHead
29-03-2010, 10:22
I was thinking of converting some skeletons with Guard components for some Planet-of-the-Apes-style: the WHFB world is really Warhammer 50K.

I'm sure it's been done 100 times already.

Edit: Doesn't really answer OP. I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as it wasn't a permanent thing, if it was first game: 100% 40K models, then 80%, 50% etc as the collection improved.

ChaosVC
29-03-2010, 10:37
I was thinking of converting some skeletons with Guard components for some Planet-of-the-Apes-style: the WHFB world is really Warhammer 50K.

I'm sure it's been done 100 times already.

Edit: Doesn't really answer OP. I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as it wasn't a permanent thing, if it was first game: 100% 40K models, then 80%, 50% etc as the collection improved.

Actually thats a great conversion Idea for traitor IG that worship nurgle or simply chaos. But a IG geared up trooper will not look convincing in a fantasy setting.

Ultimate Life Form
29-03-2010, 12:22
Proxy yes, permanent no.

DeadInTheHead
29-03-2010, 12:59
Actually thats a great conversion Idea for traitor IG that worship nurgle or simply chaos. But a IG geared up trooper will not look convincing in a fantasy setting.

Agreed, it'll only work if it's done very sparingly.

rodmillard
29-03-2010, 14:28
I voted maybe - it depends what models you intend to use and how extensively you intend to convert them.

Examples:

Tallarn desert raiders with the overt sci-fi imagery removed and appropriate weapons in an araby force? Hell Yes.

Mordians used as "musketeers" in a highly regimented empire army? Probably, assuming it didn't look out of place next to the regular fantasy models.

Plastic Cadians with head and arm swaps? Probably not, unless it was done really well.

GrogDaTyrant
29-03-2010, 15:50
I say yes, no problem, but that probably comes from me wanting to field my Orcs as Orks :D

There's really little problem to combining 40k and Fantasy Orc(Ork) models. The only issue, tends to be the guns, chain-axes, and PKs. Everything else, works fine. Nearly anything Fantasy related can easily be modded to 40k for them, and anything 40k can be easily used in Fantasy. I routinely mix parts the parts, and I've seen numerous other Ork(Orc) players do likewise.

IG would be another issue. It's not outlandish to see some of the Fantasy humans used for 40k as IG, but it'd take quite a bit of work to use IG models for Fantasy. IMHO, if their conversion is good, and they're not just fielding IG with Lasguns as 'Lol-Handgunners', then I'm down. But they need to be represented right. The Cadian chest-plates wouldn't be a bad option, neither would some of the heads.

Sleazy
29-03-2010, 16:38
what i mean that guardsmen with proper fantasy weapons (shield,swords) not to throw some random guards to bases and call them militia. "no fluff" so what write some fanfluff
they are simply toy solders,TOY SOLDERS not so big deal

Still dont see how it wouldnt look out of place. Dreaming up some naff fanfluff to shoehorn them in wont cut it either. By all means make up a test mini and prove me wrong though.

The SkaerKrow
29-03-2010, 16:59
That's a no, Ray.