PDA

View Full Version : Ever have one of "those moments"?

'Topher
28-03-2010, 12:06
I was playing my Space Wolves against a friend's Orks, and had been doing rather well for the most part. He had a squad of Lootas hiding behind a hill with a Mek holding a Shokk Attack Gun, my Thunderwolves (5 strong + Lord on a Wolf with them) were on the way, and not scared.

They round the corner and wipe a squad of boyz and will be charging the Lootas and feeding ork bits to the mutts for dinner. But, he gets his turn of shooting... I'm not worried, Lootas can't wipe my entire unit.

I was right, the Lootas couldn't; but the Shokk Attack Gun rolled boxcars for strength then only deviated 1 inch. No armor, no invul, no cover... just removed from play... FUUUUUUUU- Just over 500pts vanished from a single shot, and there was nothing I could do.

That squad would have wrecked a lot of stuff if he would have rolled anything except boxcars for strength or even rolled average for scatter. But no, the dice gods were smiling on the Orks that day.

Bestaltan
28-03-2010, 12:12
I had a unit of kroot once assault my terminator squad. Caused nine wounds, so I thought "Ah, this shouldn't be a problem".

Five 1's later, and my buddy is making a massacre roll for the kroot........

primarch16
28-03-2010, 12:31
Yeah generally happens with my terminators aswell, one tyranid warrior killing like 3 terminators, uber lame.

Though recently I landed a nice demolisher cannon on a unit of berzerkers, hitting and wounding all of them (think there were 8) and he went to ground, rolling SIX sixes (he wasnt in cover but aparantly going to ground outside of cover gives you a 6+ cover save?).

You have to laugh though, or rage :rolleyes:

Thud
28-03-2010, 12:36
Yriel and full squad of Dire Avengers wipe out a squad of Space Wolves.

SW turn:
A Razorback with HB shoots at Yriel's squad. Three hits, three wounds, three dead. One failed leadership test.

Next turn, the squad is within six inches of a Rhino. Can't regroup.

Turn after that, the squad is within six inches of a Drop Pod. Can't regroup.

Turn after that, the squad is off the table.

'Topher
28-03-2010, 12:43
You have to laugh though, or rage :rolleyes:

Definitely. I was pissed, but laughing at the sheer comedy of "ork shooting" doing something right. I was hoping he'd teleport himself into combat and give me a free kill, but that didn't happen sadly.

I've seen dice roll both ways, this was just one of those moments where you look at the dice, you look at the person rolling, you look back at the dice, and you shake your head and chuckle.

Deetwo
28-03-2010, 12:59
I also had a unit of 5 thunderwolves and a wolf lord.

However... it seems T5, 2 wounds and power armor is no match for 20 sluggaboys and 5 burnas.
3 dead to shooting, rest cut down in close combat.
How's that for Ork shooting doing something right? :D

Most of the time though the demise of my thunderwolves is an empty rhino...
Stopped spending 550 points for a 6 model unit now :)

Bestaltan
28-03-2010, 14:30
This was back in 4th, and we were playing a house rule where you had to actually guess a range if you were firing indirect artillery.

So we're playing a huge battle on my club's 8' x 12' table. Other side gets to go first. Now, since this was 4th, I had my uber command squad sitting in a land raider (librarian, chaplain, force commander, all with massive upgrades, with a massively powerful and expensive command squad). With the land raider, the entire unit popped in at around 1200 points (like I said, it was a BIG battle).

So, one of my friends has a basilisk all the way in the corner of this huge table. His guess range is spot on, doesn't deviate, rolls and penetrates, then rolls a six on the ordnance table. Dead land raider, AND dead command squad (thank you, 4th edition ordnance rules. Thanks........). All before I even get to move.

Game went downhill from there........

Warlord Gnashgrod
28-03-2010, 16:08
In one game in 4th ed, with my Necorns vs Tau, I was wiping the floor with them from shooting and CC. But the goal was one objective in the center of the table. You had to hold it to win. I had 2 full squads of warriors on it, so I wasn't worried. The closest thing he had was an empty devilfish. I shot at it and got a shaken result, so it couldn't fire. In his turn he decides to tank shock but warrior units on the objective. I wasn't worried. I expected both or at least one of them to pass their LD. I roll for the first unit, and get Boxcars. I then roll for the second unit, and get boxcars again! LOL. Both units failed their tank shock tests, and couldn't rally next turn either cause his 'fish was still too close.

I ended up losing the game thanks to 2 failed LD tests on double 6's. I just had to laugh at that.

Irondog
28-03-2010, 17:05
(thank you, 4th edition ordnance rules. Thanks........)
A buddy of mine plays Black Templars. Back in 4th, I watched him lose a LR Crusader, packed with a Crusader squad, his Marshal, and his Emperor's Champ, to a Demolisher cannon round on turn 1. I think it was like 700 points down the tubes before he even moved a model. He learned a valuable lesson about 'all your eggs in one basket'.

Bigbot
28-03-2010, 17:09
My unit of 10 nurglings wiped out a squad of Space Marine Terminators once. I was a happy happy man. My oponent, not so much

Comrade Penguin
28-03-2010, 17:19
We've all had those moments for sure, and they are never fun. I forced one of those on my friend yesterday. Two hiveguard shoot at two broadsides. Four hits, and four wounds later he is taking four 2+ armor saves. I was hoping for one dead Bside, but he rolled two ones and the str 8 instakilled them both. These same hiveguard then went on to assault a large kroot squad in cover and managed to wipe them out in one phase. Moral of the story: hiveguard awesome, tau codex awful.

Bestaltan
28-03-2010, 17:37
Sadly, I could do this all day.

Back in 4th edition, with the insanity that was the escalation scenario. Was at a tournament with my Tyranids horde list (lots of hormagaunts, raveners, etc. In short, everything needed synapse) when this scenario popped up. Well, considering that escalation only allowed you to place two troop choices on the table, I had no synaptic model on the table........until turn 4, thanks to my horrible reserve rolls.

Needless to say my army never even made it to the middle of the table.

sliganian
28-03-2010, 19:04
I was playing a three-game 'friendly' tournament yesterday. My flying Nurgle Lord with the PlagueBringer usually causes great carnage. What happened:

Game 1: dies to small arms fire

Game 2: comes on the game late, charges some Guardsmen....rolls a 1, takes a wound.

Game 3: charges bike mounted warlocks, gets 6 attacks, kills 3. Good! Next assault phase he rolls a 1 and loses his last wound.

Some days it doesn't pay to leave the battle barge....

sigur
28-03-2010, 20:07
Your own fault if you have one unit of 500pts. :p

baphomael
28-03-2010, 20:12
One of 'those days'? Every time I open my case it becomes one of 'those days'.

Straha
28-03-2010, 20:13
I lost 2 Speeders to double 6 pen rolls in 4th edition, which created a lovely image of my speeders evaporating over the battlefield. In the same turn I rolled 5 ones for my Terminators. Also, 2 of my plasma cannon Dev Marines failed their get hot rolls.

My friend is still finding dice in his back yard.

Kurgash
28-03-2010, 20:35
One of my defilers was locked in h2h with a squad of TH/SS termies and drawing to no end. I decided to throw my other defiler in the mix, same results. Finally got fed up and threw Kharn into the mix, after which the terminator squad and both defilers were wiped out by the very man sent to help them. Woooo...

Rusty Initate
29-03-2010, 00:01
had a squad of 5 terminator get rapid fired by a squad of conscripts only 5 shots managed to wound them then i got 4 1s on there saves :cries:

susu.exp
29-03-2010, 01:23
I recently had a tournament game where I had 8 meltergun CSM of various types within 6" of 4 enemy vehicle backsides with AV10. Total number of hits:0. On the last turn a combat between 4 Pleague marines including Champ with Fist and 2 tactical marines sits on an objective. He holds the other one, this might give me a draw. He strikes hits twice on 4s, wounds on 5+, I fail my saves and FNP rolls. So I hit back with the PMs, fail to hit 3 times in total, but one Fist attack hits. Rolls a 1 to wound. I get two wounds for being fearless and fail both saves and FNP rolls... Not good.

In the same tournament one of my opponents had 2 of "those moments though", playing nids. I spend a turn firing everything I have at a Carnifex doing no wounds. I then remember my Rhinos havenīt fired their bolters. 4 Shots later the Carnifex is dead. The following turn the same thing happened with his Tyrant, Plasmaguns, Demolisher Shells, alls was shrugged off - then the transports opened up. Yesterday I faced another Nid army and this time the Rhinos got another Carnifex and an Alpha Trygon...

Meriwether
29-03-2010, 01:39
We've all had those moments for sure, and they are never fun.

Agree; disagree. We've all had those moments, and they're *always* fun.

From an Ogryn Mighty Hero rolling 7 1's (2nd edition) and dying against a lone guardsman, to a single tankbusta destroying an Eldar Scorpion Super-Heavy in a single shot (3rd edition), we've all been there -- and it's hilarious and epic which ever side of the battle you're on.

Vaden
29-03-2010, 03:21
I had a game where I was playing Orks vs my roommates Space Wolves at 2000 points. He had four lascannon razorbacks, two lascannon predators, and thunderwolf cavalry with a thunderwolf riding wolf lord. My 4 Ork trukks had no chance, so I kept everything hidden behind a hill. Well, his thunderwolf unit gets over the hill and is about to wreck my lines. I put all my Lootas into them, only cause three wounds. Then it's my Shokk Attack Gun. I roll the strength. Double 6s. Holy crap! This might work! I roll the scatter die, and it points towards my unit of Boyz. Uh oh, this is going to be bad, I can only subtract 2 from my 2d6 distace. I roll a 3. All but one of his thunderwolves disappears, including his Wolf Lord.
Oh hi, Topher.

SandQueen
29-03-2010, 03:30
I lost a Phoenix lord to Nork Deddog in hand to hand combat.

It was Karandas
I was charging
I missed with every attack
I failed every save

Agnar the Howler
29-03-2010, 03:44
I lost a Phoenix lord to Nork Deddog in hand to hand combat.

It was Karandas
I was charging
I missed with every attack
I failed every save

...and that, my friends, is why you never, EVER, use a Phoenix Lord. EVUR! You'll just be disappointed.

I've not really had any of 'those moments' in 40k, it's fantasy that gets me. A unit of 15 saurus spears in charged by 30 clanrats with spears. A few combats later and a unit of 27 clanrats is chasing after a fleeing unit of 4 saurus spears xS

I've only ever seen 40k ones, such as Kharn and a unit of 8 berzerkers (the SC was sacrificed so a GD could possess him) firing on a unit of 5 khorne terminators. Kharn's plasma pistol and 2 berzerker PPs couldn't get past the armour (1 of the PPs blew a berzerker up), but the remaining 6 bolt pistols managed to scrape 4 kills. Just as the berzerker player is about to move to the assault phase, he remembers the combi-flamer on his Rhino that brought Kharn and friends in. Instead of opting for rapid-firing the bolter, he slaps a flamer template down, and boils the last terminator in his own armour.

Another moment was in a game with my tau vs chaos. I was using 10 kroot, 7 + 3 proxies cos the other models had decided to climb out of my case overnight and stay at home. The store assisstant showed me the store policy about no proxies, and asked me to remove the unit or treat the 3 missing members as casualties with my opponent's permission. I was allowed to keep the squad at 7 men. Big mistake. I got to go second, and he flew his daemon prince up on his first turn. On mine, I walk my kroot out and bravely assault the daemon prince, knocking him down to a single wound and keeping him in CC till my next turn, when my Shas'El's plasma rifle knocked the final wound off.

SandQueen
29-03-2010, 04:00
...and that, my friends, is why you never, EVER, use a Phoenix Lord. EVUR! You'll just be disappointed.

Karandas usually serves me well, had a solid track record with him. I usually stick him with a squad of Scorpions but he got separated in a melee and I guess he tripped on a rock or something.

I've used him to pop light tanks, spearhead infiltrating assaults, and pop enemy characters. Guess he was tired.

Raven1
29-03-2010, 04:49
Yes, but i did it to my friend. On two different occasions, one back in Chaos 3.5 codex I landed a basilisk shot on his seer council. IT was a crap load of points that vanished turn 1.
The second, I had a sad of raptors up against a squad of Berzerkers. I used the squads flamer and hit 8 (including rolling for partials) of his 10 berzerkers, and killed all 8.

Jayden63
29-03-2010, 06:18
I currently see no point in putting meltas in my Space Wolf army. I'm not really sure how many games I've played with the list, but I know for a fact that in total they have only hit 3 times and actually killed 1 model out of countless shots.

I'll miss with those shots every time.

brightblade
29-03-2010, 09:55
After two turns of turbo boosting into position my five strong ork bike squad has an entire flank of guard and a basilisk at it's mercy. As I planned my multiple charge to powerklaw the basilisk and wreak havoc through the heavy weapon squads arrayed before me, I only had the small matter of dangerous terrain checks for smashing through a LOS denying ruin wall.

In my mind the revving of bike engines was all the warning the guardsmen would have, as my bikes sailed through the loose bricks and, with roars of triumph, started butchering the soft pink humies.

Instead there was the roar of engines, a roll of five ones and five dull thuds as my bike boyz spread themselves evenly across the inside of the wall. Either it just been re-pointed or the wallpaper bearing little pictures of the Emperor was really thick.

My mate just put on a voice as one of his Autocannon crew looked up from reloading,
'Did you hear something, Steve?'
'Nah! You?'

Definitely one of those moments. And hilarious. :D

Jorgandr
29-03-2010, 10:35
Yesterday I killed four out of five Terminators. With eight Termagants w. Fleshborers. Ah, what fun.

EldritchRaider
29-03-2010, 11:55
I remember saying "Like I'll Fail" one time when rolling the armour save for my terminator chaplain, who was being shot to bitz by whole lot of boyz...Then all I remember was wanting to peg the die through the window.

djinn8
29-03-2010, 14:33
Not to long ago I was playing Combat Patrol with my SoB army. First turn a Lascannon shoots a Rhino, blowing it up and killing four of the five Sisters inside. The explosion engulfs the nearby Seraphim squad killing three out of five. The survivors of both squads fail their moral test and flee of the board, leaving me with a Chimera and five Storm Troopers to face down 400 points of Plague Marines and Havocks. We laughed and set the game up again.

ED: This seems to happen quite often to me as well: Platoon Command squads, loaded with Plasma, cooking themselves to a man all in one turn of firing.

Ravenous
29-03-2010, 15:29
Yriel does that quite often to my foes.

Last week he killed 12 berzerkers from eye of wrath then killed 4 more from the following "no retreat" deaths. Following round of combat Yriel finished them off without taking a single wound back. Got to love those days when your MVP gets nearly 3 times his worth out of him.

Then again I had something happen to me against the store punching bag that had me cursing the dice gods. Full seer council with eldrad gets hit by a psyker battle squad, he rolls 9 of 3D6, and then manages to force a morale check.... and they ran and they ran. Costed me the game against a total noob -_- I shamed my family.

itcamefromthedeep
29-03-2010, 15:30
I see those kinds of games all the time. My opponents seem to have them with alarming regularity.

Just the other day I have two broods of Hormagaunts staring at a Crusader Squad with a Champion. Two wounds from Zoanthropes later and the squad has fled off the table, handing me the game at 1k points.

McLucien18
29-03-2010, 15:59
Had a squad of Grey Hunters charge into the remnants of my guard veteran squad the other day, only for them to bounce, lose the combat by one and then spend the next two turns running away from two veterans. Madness.

Mawchild
29-03-2010, 16:21
Yep the other 3 attack bikes with multimeltas outflank behind a dread with the express intent of grabbing an easy killpoint and then going on to threaten his troop filled raider. End result the dread gets two weaponed destroyed results and next turn assaults the bikes and ties them up for the rest of the game. The now unthreatened raider rolls forward and the game goes downhill fast.
Same game his small terminator squad charged Khan and promptly got slain without striking a single blow which was sweet. Although he did later die from a lucky bolter shot which was a bit embaressing.

Nurglitch_PS
29-03-2010, 16:58
Back in the days of 2nd edition my friends were playing a huge battle (some 5000 a side), Eldar against the Space Marines. I had just a handful of my Guardsmen on hand but they allowed me to join as a comic relief. I deployed a squad of infantry, a commissar, a mortar and an autocannon. We didn't even calculate the points as everyone assumed I'd be dead by the end of round I. I deployed on the hill which I named "Hill 193", on the edge of the table, equidistant from the deployment zones.

One of the SM armies was led by Azrael. With his insane strategy rating it meant that SMs would be going first, so the Eldar huddled behind covers.

Round one, the Imperial forces begin. Marines do their stuff, not a lot to see, overwatch across the board. I fire a mortar. BANG! Four Banshees huddled behind a rock turn into roadkill.

I think their plan was to ignore me completly and just charge towards the Marines. This now changed. I got rushed by Striking Scorpions and Swooping Hawks. Completely insane rolls, very accurate mortar guesses, and I was left with an autocannon and a commissar. Finally a Great Harlequin, a points monster (some 300p?) diverted and in two turns managed to kill the remnants off. But for four turns I reported each turn "Hill 193 is holding, sir!" and managed to tie or intimidate an entire Eldar flank. That was quite epic.

bocaj
29-03-2010, 22:00
5 scouts all shot at my Great unclean one, 1 miss, all wound, no saves passed thats 8 4+ saves failed D:

Inquisitor_Tolheim
29-03-2010, 22:25
Agree; disagree. We've all had those moments, and they're *always* fun.

From an Ogryn Mighty Hero rolling 7 1's (2nd edition) and dying against a lone guardsman, to a single tankbusta destroying an Eldar Scorpion Super-Heavy in a single shot (3rd edition), we've all been there -- and it's hilarious and epic which ever side of the battle you're on.

^^^ Absolute truth. Nothing makes a game more amusing then the dice rolls where one or both players just stare at the table screaming "no way!" Those are the moments that define 40k, that cause players to give a single guardsman model in their army a Bloodthirster head to stand on.

The Ginger Ninja
29-03-2010, 23:32
1 Rhino surviving for 4 turns.
It was immobilized.
It had no weapons left
It had a full squad of tactical marines inside
It was on the other flank of the table from the rest of his forces
Completely surrounded by 10 necron warriors (so no disembarking for you, Mister DA player) for 2 turns, then another squad of 10 got in range for the last 2 turns.
It was stunned and shaken around 15 times before i finally rolled 7 Immobilized and weapon destroyed results in one turn.
2 turns of 20 gauss shots, and only minor damage results, one turn of 40 gauss shots, and only minor damage results, another turn of 40 shots, and then the 6's and 5's come out. The rhino was wrecked and the squad inside had nowhere to go :evilgrin:
I think i won the game 3:1 Kill Points.
Oh, his termis also tried deepstriking, scatered, and landed on top of the rhino, surrounded by 10 warriors. He then proceded to roll a one :D

Thornz
29-03-2010, 23:43
Winner =

Hellhound with Dozor Blade Rolling for Difficult terrain, is immobilized on the first turn for 5 games in a row in a campaign :cries: :wtf:. Thats double 1's every game on the first turn! What are the chances you ask:

1 in 470,184,984,600, that's:
1 in 470 BILLION

I think I'm special :rolleyes: Consequently I painted a learner drivers, yellow L plate on the back of the Hellhound and renamed it: Trogdor, the unstopable.

Hoodwink
30-03-2010, 01:01
I was watching a guy play nids vs marines the other day. New Battle Missions battle where marines start in the middle surrounded by the enemy on all sides.

The marine Vindicators were tearing through hordes and the Zoanthropes land about 7 inches away and just out of their spore. 3 Zoanthropes shoot at the Vindicator. By the end of the rolls, 1 Zoan was dead from Perils and the Vindicator was never even touched...

Raven Down
30-03-2010, 08:40
I lost my Chaos Warhound to a Guard Sgt with Meltabombs when Apoc first came out, Major Face Palm.

Warsmith Tharak
30-03-2010, 09:33
2 games agow, 3 Flamers deepstriking next to 7 tunderhammer/stormshild terminators. deviated 2" to a better posision, 18 hits, 9 wounds and 9 passed saves... I just laught at my cousin when I saw that every dice was 5+. He dident even need the shild.

Last game a great unclean one suffers 2 wounds to 3 lasguns, gets charge by an pentiend engine (yes we use those, and spawns) 2 attacks, 2 hits, 2 wounds and 2 faild saves. I hit back, it explodes, wound my great unclean one, fail my save and feel no pain. The bloody thing would have died to a mild brise if it was possible.

brightblade
30-03-2010, 10:41
I lost my Chaos Warhound to a Guard Sgt with Meltabombs when Apoc first came out, Major Face Palm.

Now, that, is epic. Thread won. :D

If it's true:shifty: Lol.

Calindor
30-03-2010, 10:44
This happend to a friend of mine:

He has a unharmed chaplain charge by himself a squad of 6 tau warriors. He misses all attacks except one that doesnīt wound. The tau warriors beat him to death. So fun to watch even if I felt bad for him :)

Raven Down
30-03-2010, 23:39
Now, that, is epic. Thread won. :D

If it's true:shifty: Lol.

The Longstory was it had already taken several barrages of lascannon and melta fire and was down to its last Structure point,I had managed to recharge two of the Void shields but they were stripped of in the beginning of the turn.
So as I tried to make a run for the only terrain large enough to somewhat shield the Titan that single Sgt charged in and hurled that "Blessed by the Emperor" meltabomb right onto its back.

brightblade
02-04-2010, 21:18
The Longstory was it had already taken several barrages of lascannon and melta fire and was down to its last Structure point,I had managed to recharge two of the Void shields but they were stripped of in the beginning of the turn.
So as I tried to make a run for the only terrain large enough to somewhat shield the Titan that single Sgt charged in and hurled that "Blessed by the Emperor" meltabomb right onto its back.

Just brilliant. I bet your mate just does not want to let it go. I know I wouldn't. That sargeant deserves his own book series! Truly epic.:D