PDA

View Full Version : I can't do it, i just can't make the switch

vargojones
28-03-2010, 12:36
Hi my name is andrew and i'm a 40k addict :cries:

I have a problem and i feel so alone. I love GW and the various games systems, but one fills me with an excited kid like glee, and it's 40k, i love the models the fluff everything, but every now and then i get pulled towards warhammer, most recently i feel for the Beastmen release. I strolled into my local GW (Swindon for those interested) and coughed up a fair wodge for some ungors and gors and a rulebook.

I was happy i thought i'd broken the thrall 40k held over me, i painted my ungors in short order and the looked good, i was pleased, but then the whispers started.

Quietly at first the came, a quick sneek into the 40k rumours forum and i saw new shiny things things from the grim dark. I pulled away and read more beastmen background and all was good.

Then i started reading A Thousand Sons and i knew i was doomed. I looked upon my painted ungors and laughed, you are not power armoured super warriors, you are not smelly Orks with V8 engines belching smoke, and i knew i had lost my way to 40k again.

SO i seek solace here amongst my brother gamers and ask "Am I alone?", do others try but fail to move away, or have you been successful?

Oh if anyone wants to buy 2 boxes of gors then let me know ;o) right need to go and find my ultrasmurfs and ork boyz...

ICLRK625
28-03-2010, 12:41
I don't see why it can't be both, unless money is an issue (which is probably more reasonable than I'm making it sound). If you can find the time, money and have the community, try playing both, they're fairly different games (although a lot of the problems from one are present in the other, and vice versa). Plus, it gives you something to switch to if you get bored of the other.

I thought this thread was going to be about switching (or trying to at least) to Privateer Press, that's usually what I hear about when people are "making the switch."

vargojones
28-03-2010, 12:55
It's not a question of money, it's making that change from grim dark to fantasy. I love fantasy as a concept, the fluff, all that really works, but when it comes to building an army for it i lose interest sooo quickly it's unfunny, at some weird level i can associate with the armies i build for 40k eg my ultrasmurfs i come up with back stories for the guys i paint, the squads they are in. With fantasy i can't seem to get into that mind set i can't make that change. does that make sense?

sigur
28-03-2010, 13:45
Seriously, get a grip on yourself. Set yourself the goal of absolutely not starting another army until the one at hand is at a certain pts level and painted.

Condottiere
28-03-2010, 13:48
It makes sense, but Beastmen may not be the army for you.

You'll have to clearly define what Fantasy in general you find attractive and why. It need not be the same things that you find attractive in SciFi, and would actually be a benefit if it were the total opposite.

Know thyself and in the knowing, you will discover if Fantasy or any particular aspect of it, is suitable for your needs.

vargojones
28-03-2010, 14:03
Seriously, get a grip on yourself. Set yourself the goal of absolutely not starting another army until the one at hand is at a certain pts level and painted.

ouch that's me told ;)

Beastmen should be for me, the fluff works, i like the idea of it etc etc. I think i just need to stick to 40k, the fluff etc all works i can engage with it at a level that allows me to consistently work on one or two armies.

Anyway, this thread was just to see if other people had issues swapping between systems, and any advice in doing so, so don't take it too seriously. I'm sure i can use the various beastmen bits for a chaos renegade army/project.

Rabid Bunny 666
28-03-2010, 14:58
I normally find myself lapsing back into 40k. The trick is to space projects apart. I've got IG, SM and Tyranids on the go, all being heavily converted, so a break to work on bog standard skaven helps me keep focussed on modelling whilst giving me a break from 40k.

Slashattack
28-03-2010, 16:46
Go and read Malus Darkblade then you'll want to play fantasy. It's what got me back into the game and now I play way more fantasy then 40k.

crandall87
28-03-2010, 17:51
You're not alone! Believe it or not but i've never played a game of fantasy in my life, although I do own the rulebook and various army books and even some chaos models but I am a pure 40k gamer.

Loki73
28-03-2010, 18:27
Im in the same boat as you I love 40k allot. I started beastmen and have been playing for awhile now. But for me its the rules of fantasy and the OT books. I like fantasy but it invokes my nerd rage lol. I only get upset in 40k when my dice go bad. Or I break a model. Im currently gonna complete my Space Wolves. Then maybe just maybe I might do the beastmen.

Spectrar Ghost
28-03-2010, 20:00
Im currently gonna complete my Space Wolves. Then maybe just maybe I might do the beastmen.

No, no, no. You do your Epic Space Wolves, then your Space Wolves Fleet for BFG, then... then I dunno. Space Wolves Gangers?

wizbix
28-03-2010, 20:14
Looks like you could do with some Resperidone for those whispers! ;)

I dont see why you cant play both as others are suggetsing. You may find you like differing aspects of each game.

chromedog
28-03-2010, 21:50
No, you're not alone.

I also can't (and won't) DO fantasy. No matter how shmexy the models, I just can't get around the idea of not enough tanks, rayguns and humongous explosions in the game.

We have some fantasy players who switched to 40k in our group. They are still adjusting to the fact that the Strength of the hit has no bearing on your armour save.

Flightleader
28-03-2010, 22:26
I used to think the same thing! I played IG for 40k and nothing but. Couldn't make the switch to Fantasy but loved LoTRs. I guess it all came down to what I liked more...that being a more skirmish oriented game. Also alot of Fantasy players I know are tournament players so their armies are horrible to play against. Even so, I did finally take the plunge and have 3,000 pts of Empire! 32 man spearman blocks FTW!

But alas I recently read Soul Hunter and with blood angels being released... All I've been doing since is building up blood angels! It's my first space marine army and one that I've actually been as excited about as my IG which now number somehere in the 8,000 pts area.

At the end of the day 40k's background is simply gripping. Much more, I find, than the Fantasy or Iron kingdoms worlds could ever be.

Now if this was about making the switch out of GW, well I've tried that also...FoW, Warmachine and Hordes, FoG...all sit idle because the only place I can game is at my local GW and any gaming clubs out their are rather inconvienient.

There are of course other ways to get a Fantasy hit. I chose LoTRs and love it! WotRs is also really good and it uses the same models so that's always a plus!

Will I play fantasy again? Deffinately...perhaps not for a while...the Angels are coming!! *runs off laughing manicly smeared in red paint*

EldarWonderland
29-03-2010, 11:59
Other way for me.
I started with 40K Eldar, got Orbitally Bombarded and lost all interest in it from that point on.
I like painting my son's 40K Orcs and their antics amuse me when he relates a battle to me.

However I enjoy WHFB too much now and I find it much more fun to play than the "Ooops I made a mistake but it's ok I can shoot my way out of it" game.

Horses for courses.

loveless
29-03-2010, 22:51
Every time I try to enjoy Fantasy, the cost of an army makes me remember that the $$$:Fun ratio is not as satisfying as 40K or Warmachine/Hordes.

Fantasy is a slow-moving game. It really is. Frankly it gets dull after about, oh, turn 3. I like the mission-based rushes and weird-set-ups of 40K. I like the mind-numbing power of characters, warjacks, and warbeasts found in the Privateer Press games. I like that armor saves mean something in 40K, and that saves really don't exist in PP games.

Fantasy is a poorly-balanced mess at the moment, replete with the need to purchase models that honestly do nothing throughout the course of a game (Hello, rank-and-file infantry!)

Fantasy has pretty models, sure. But between useless filler models, $42/10-man elite infantry units, the meaningless entropy and all-or-nothing-ness of the magic phase, and the slow crawl of the movement and formation system...Fantasy just loses out to other games.

8th Edition is going to have to be the greatest thing since shelter in order to make up for that. Pretty models be damned :p

Verm1s
30-03-2010, 00:19
You do have a problem, but it runs deeper than you think.

Condottiere
30-03-2010, 08:58
TBF, a lot of outcomes are foreseeable by the third turn. Quite a number of times, players are inclined not to finish the game and just give up if the situation looks bad.

Sleazy
30-03-2010, 18:40
Its swings and roundabouts for me, I started with 40k back in RT days, got back into the hobby beginning of 3rd and once 6th ed WFB was released found myself swaying almost totally towards fantasy.

I think fantasy got a bit stale and things like apoc (more the models/conversions than the actual rules) and teh Horus Heresy series swung things 40k again.

I find it nice to do both at the mo but if I'm honest its maybe 60/40 in 40k favour. No doubt this will change again, especially if Warhammer Forge deliver the goods!

Calindor
31-03-2010, 08:59
I got the same problem. I like fantasy, I like flames of war, I also like Warmachine but..... I love 40k! Itd just something about the background, the models, the system, pretty much everything that makes me all the time comeback to 40k. I have no problem with coming up new ideas and armies to 40k while I struggle with everything else. Im slowley coming to understand that 40k is my thing in first hand.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
31-03-2010, 09:05
I'm having a lot of trouble switching back to GW games. I used to be a Fantasy nut, but I think my Steel Legion are more likely to see play. However, every time I think I would play 40k, I find myself preferring to play Warmachine.

RCgothic
31-03-2010, 10:13
I started in fantasy, and have at some stage or other collected vampire counts, dwarfs and wood elves, but having to paint and deploy models just to act as filler really gets me down.(Painting is my hobby weakness, I enjoy building and playing more). I find the background and setting of 40k far more interesting, and every model I paint has a purpose; the game just feels so much more dynamic.

Now when I think about WFB I can't get myself interested. My wood elves have sat in my parents garage for a decade, my vampire counts have given up their case space to 40k, and my dwarves barely even got off the drawing board.

Plaguebeast
31-03-2010, 12:36
I have the same problem, but in reverse - I simply can't finish a 40K army! I have smatterings of Dark Angels, Grey Knights, Which Hunters, Orks (well they're mainly for Gorkamorka), CSMs, a Hive Tyrant and some Tau. The Tau are actually the closest thing I have to a fully fledged 40K army, albeit a majorly unbalanced one.

I generally prefer the Fantasy genre over Sci Fi, but I feel the 40K universe is much deeper, more epic and more creative than its Fantasy counterpart. Yet I keep going back to Fantasy...

Plaguebeast

ashc
31-03-2010, 14:36
Every time I try to enjoy Fantasy, the cost of an army makes me remember that the $$$:Fun ratio is not as satisfying as 40K or Warmachine/Hordes.

Fantasy is a slow-moving game. It really is. Frankly it gets dull after about, oh, turn 3. I like the mission-based rushes and weird-set-ups of 40K. I like the mind-numbing power of characters, warjacks, and warbeasts found in the Privateer Press games. I like that armor saves mean something in 40K, and that saves really don't exist in PP games.

Fantasy is a poorly-balanced mess at the moment, replete with the need to purchase models that honestly do nothing throughout the course of a game (Hello, rank-and-file infantry!)

Fantasy has pretty models, sure. But between useless filler models, $42/10-man elite infantry units, the meaningless entropy and all-or-nothing-ness of the magic phase, and the slow crawl of the movement and formation system...Fantasy just loses out to other games.

8th Edition is going to have to be the greatest thing since shelter in order to make up for that. Pretty models be damned :p

Oh god, loveless is in my brain, thinking my thoughts! :chrome:

lord ugwart
03-04-2010, 10:35
I'm the opposite, iv'e always collected fantasy. I just can't 'get' 40k at all.

TMATK
03-04-2010, 21:53
For me its the flavor, not the rules. Whichever game is "more balanced" hardly matters enough when you're collecting and painting miniatures, at least IMHO.

Fantasy vs SciFi is like chocolate v vanilla. Sure you might like both, but most people favor one over the other.

I grew up loving lord of the rings, D&D, Conan, etc. Sure I loved Star Wars and Star trek, but heroic fantasy was always my fav; WHFB is my game.

The Orange
04-04-2010, 21:43
I found it hard to get out of 40k to. Truth be told the only reason I got out of it was because my gaming group pretty much dropped it when 5th edition rolled around and jumped onto the PP bandwagon. So my advice is simply find friends that'll push you to play WFB so that you actually finish that Beastmen army (so tempted myself). I've always been more of a painter though and still make mini's for several game weather I play them or not (i.e. I'm building a nid's army for my little brother who'll probably never get to play them but loves them anyways).

burad
04-04-2010, 23:38
I have about 10,000 points of Empire, and chances are I'm gonna sell it all. When i have to make a choice between casting a spell and blowing stuff up, blowing stuff up wins every time. And there's no place in WHFB where you can exercise as much kitbashing creativity as you can with 40k Orks. Plus there are a few things that are just not right in how stuff crashes together in WHFB, the mechanics of moving into contact have some nonsensical flaws when you get into unusual situations. So 40k just works better for me (not to say it doesn't have some flaws too, but i get to blow stuff up, so it's OK)