PDA

View Full Version : Really can't decide on my new army

Creeping_Death
29-03-2010, 20:33
I'm getting back into the hobby recently along with a friend of mine who is starting a new Space Wolves army. I'm torn between what army I should do. I want something different to my previous armies.

My first thought was Thousand Sons as they would work well against his Space Wolves but the lack of unique models for them and the fact that they use the same Codex as my last army (World Eaters) has me a bit hesitant.

I was also considering Blood Angels. New codex, new models... but again I don't like the idea of painting alot of red again. A successor chapter is a possibility though (any cool recommendations would be nice).

Other than that, I am also toying with maybe starting Salamanders as I've never had a bog standard marine army or maybe Imperial Guard. Though I am still not that keen on that idea.

So... which of those would you recommend? I'm pretty equally interested in each of them.

Wyrmwood
29-03-2010, 20:39
While the prospect of cashing in on a brand new army is great, I think that armies like the Thousand Sons and Imperial Guard have much more to offer in theme, backstory and variety. I would personally choose the Thousand Sons - while using Codex: Chaos Space Marines, if you're going for a theme list it will likely be very different to your World Eater army and, as you've said, will work nicely against your friend's Space Wolves.

Aurellis
29-03-2010, 20:40
I might be biased but go for the Salamanders! There's lots of opportunities for great artistry without having to rely on those poncy Blood Angels. Thousand Sons are also a favorite of mine amongst the Chaos legions.

mattschuur
29-03-2010, 20:45
Well, new book and new models is a good reason to build a blood angels force. Although I understand the not wanting to paint red thing. So, Since he has a cool new model how about a Flesh Tearers army led by their brand new special character? A little bit of red but also a lot of black.

Then again, a thousands son's army can be a good counter to your buddies space wolves. 2 squads of actual thousand sons is all you really need. Then you can flesh out your army with other units that have an icon of tzeentch. My brother runs a thousands son army with 4 Thousand sons squads, a Super sorcerer/Lord on a disk and some additional fire support from Oblits and Defilers. Pretty strong army, and not a drop of red is needed. :)

Matt Schuur

loveless
29-03-2010, 20:46
Well, it may depend on the sort of force you want to do, really.

Blood Angels don't have to be red - I think the Flesh Tearers are a combination of black and red, and if you were to go Death Company heavy (with Astorath) you'd be painting mostly black. From what I recall, their successors are typically some mixture of black/red/yellow - that's not to say you couldn't make up your own scheme.

I can't really recommend Thousand Sons. I'm not a big fan of how they play in the most recent codex. I loved them in the previous book, not liking them in this book. That and Space Wolves should have little trouble shutting down your psychic powers.

Salamanders will likely have you taking Vulkan, which will lead to flamey, melty, hammery death for your foes. You can do some cool things with codex marines even without special characters - they tend to do everything decently with the right builds.

If you're not keen on an idea, I wouldn't consider it any longer - not sure if that part of your post applied to Sallies and IG, or just IG - but I'd drop whatever ones you're not excited about.

I am biased too, but I must recommend Imperial Guard. The new Codex is great and it easy to build characterful armies.

For me their greatest appeal is in the way anyone can relate to them, as they are mostly mere humans. Only humans yes, but with a good amount of firepower, good leaders and some dirty tricks up their sleeve.

Xarian
29-03-2010, 21:20
Thousand Sons are very interesting and fun but also very limited - they really weren't ever meant to be a full army. Imperial Guard, on the other hand, are very interesting and fleshed-out all around.

You could always do a Traitor Guard army with some Thousand Sons units thrown in, too.

Creeping_Death
29-03-2010, 21:36
Thousand Sons are very interesting and fun but also very limited - they really weren't ever meant to be a full army.

It's a shame really. I still hope GW have some plans for individual codices for the major traitor legions like they are doing for SM Chapters (Black legion, death guard, world eaters, thousand sons, emperors children - that way you get one for each god and one undivided...though I guess that could be the standard codex).

Anyway just to clarify, I'm probably least interested in the Imperial Guard. Not because of models or background... I'm just terrible at painting skin!

SPYDER68
29-03-2010, 21:45
Thousand Sons are very interesting and fun but also very limited - they really weren't ever meant to be a full army. Imperial Guard, on the other hand, are very interesting and fleshed-out all around.

You could always do a Traitor Guard army with some Thousand Sons units thrown in, too.

This.

Use Grey knight allies from their marines into traitor guard, with the grey knights modeled up as Thousand Sons. Just using *counts as* rules.