PDA

View Full Version : skint but want a new army

skeletal
29-03-2010, 21:48
does anyone have any thoughts or info for me as i would love a new army to model but im bit poor rite now
so a army with not much models or high points but still effective would help any thoughts?

sigur
29-03-2010, 21:50
Hmm. Save some money until you can actually afford an army you like? By the way, never buy a whole army at once. Get one unit (and the necessary paint and such) and the army book first, then build up slowly.

sssk
29-03-2010, 21:53
I guess this warrents the usual calls of Warriors of Chaos (lots of plastics, lots of points). You seem to get quite a lot in a few of the battalions (dark elves for example) so there're lots of options. Why not just build your army to a level which isn't 2000 points (or not immediately). Play some 500 point games for a while and then build it slowly as you get money. I always used to make the mistake of charging into an army, trying to buy the whole thing in one go. Never worked out very well.

In summary, WoC seem easy to get quite a lot of points fairly cheap (I assume you'll be tooling up characters to the max).

Wil Grand
29-03-2010, 21:54
Ogre Kingdoms were at some stage regarded as being the cheapest per point as well as cheapest standard list army.

Wil Grand
29-03-2010, 21:56
Or you could take up a wholey new game like Mordheim or even venture outwards to Warhammer Historical. I've bought Imperial romans for the Warhammer Ancient Battles system that has a point costing similar to WFB and I've come in to 2000pts for under 100

skeletal
29-03-2010, 22:02
wow that sounds interesting never looked into the ancient battles
ive got two mordiem forces and dont have much folk to play wit no more
WoC could be fun
Dark Elves mite be a good one and yes i do plan tooling my guys up to the max

Pacorko
29-03-2010, 22:16
Being skint means not having money at all for anything you want, so telling you to try out other games is pretty much a bunch of sterile suggestions.

What can you do? Do some menial work for the elderly to get a few shinies in your pockets, if you are not of an age most regular and half-time jobs would hire.

If you are old enough to get a part-time or full time job go ahead and do it; then save until you have enough money to get you on your feet and that allows for armies and other nifty things. That's how most of us do it!

If you have unwanted stuff (or armies), sell/trade them and get that army you want.

Other than that, you have no options so if you can't afford a new army, as my parents say: "you need to deal with your frustation levels" and move on. It's obvious you have no real possibilities at getting what you want and stubbornly persuing an unattainable goal will only result in wasted time and added frustation.

I've done it with several things besides armies. When the time comes where I can finally allow myself the pleasure, I find that either most of those "oh, I really want this" things are not that important anymore, or when I finally get them my enjoyment is so much I can really feel the room lightening as I pop the boxes open and start tallying goodies.

So, in a nutshell: it's all about getting active and being patient, or realistic and moving along.

Harry
29-03-2010, 22:19
If your not bothered about what you start painting or what order you paint in.....

Pick the army you like. (But not a recent one that everyone is buying now ... like Skaven).
Do a search on ebay for just stuff for that army.
Hang around until you spot the item no one else is bidding on.
Repeat.

You can collect most of an army at a bargain price if you are patient.

Wil Grand
29-03-2010, 22:27
http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/Warlord-Games/Imperial-Romans/Roman-Army-Box/prod_6572.html
That gives you -
2 Metal Roman Officers
30 Plastic Imperial Roman Legionaries = 500pts
20 Plastic Praetorian Guard = 540pts
24 Plastic Roman Aux + Metal Aux Centurion, Signifer and /cornicen = 393pts
8 Metal Baleric Slingers = Can't remember the cost
1 metal scorpion catapult. 36pts

Basically, a cheap, solid start - basically over 1500pts for under 50. To that I'd add some cavalry and another unit of either legionaires or auxilia. The WAB rulebook will cost you 20 and the list is in there. There's another version (WAB2) coming in a few months so it might be worth getting the army together before chasing that down.

I've seen Romans proxying for Gondor in WOTR as well.

Wil Grand
29-03-2010, 22:29
If your not bothered about what you start painting or what order you paint in.....

Pick the army you like. (But not a recent one that everyone is buying now ... like Skaven).
Repeat.

Good idea - I've managed to get a whole host of LotR characters foot and mounted and about 84 moria goblins in various auctions in an unpainted state for under 22 all in.

sssk
29-03-2010, 22:34
Harry's right there, I accidentally got a beasts army (old rules) all in one go for about 25 because no one else wanted it. Just waiting for the new rules when people might want beasts again to sell off all the lovely lovely minis (and knowing me, I'll then use the money from selling those to start up the next army...DARN THIS OBSESSION!!!). Seriously though, ebay is a wonder for those skint people among us. If you have lots of time, just search for "warhammer" and sift through the "ending soonest" pile until you stumble upon something good which is listed badly or no one else wants.

Anyway, enough buying tips. As everyone says, you should get an army which you'll actually like and enjoy using/painting/modelling and as I said before, if that means building up a horde skaven army slowly, then so be it. You'll be an expert by the time you reach 2000 points.

As for me, Dark elves look so tempting except for those horrific warriors (and I'm not too keen on the corsairs either, they're a bit to stereotypically piratical for my liking). Either way, nearly time to sell of the Deamons and beasts...

skeletal
29-03-2010, 22:36
thanks for everyones help

Condottiere
29-03-2010, 22:38
Auction is the method I usually use to build up my army; but it requires some patience. Sometimes, someone in the local area wants to dispose off of his army, may be desperate enough to keep the price low.

Ozorik
29-03-2010, 22:46
Depending on where you play you can also use other manufacturers such as Perry miniatures (http://theminiaturespage.com/news/842495/) for Empire or Brettonia or Mantic games (http://www.manticgames.com/) for undead or high elves. I'm making a 1000 point Empire army consisting of nothing but state troops using brand new Perry WotR miniatures for 50 for example.

Ebay is definitely a good place to look though.

Wil Grand
29-03-2010, 22:52
Mantic Undead are a joy to behold. Better than the GW skellies in my opinion and that really is saying something!

Pacorko
29-03-2010, 23:07

Repeat.

***raises both hands and nods happily!***

Yep. Patience and hunting around for bargains will help you get nice armies, tailored to your exacting tastes, and practically ready to paint to your heart's content.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to glue a few pieces and break out the inks to finish reatouching the already painted beastmen I got from a couple of Warseer* mates.

That's annuver hint, yes.

Mantic Undead are a joy to behold. Better than the GW skellies in my opinion and that really is saying something!

Stop teasing me! My Mhorgoth's Army deal is still "awainting despatch"!

I'm making a 1000 point Empire army consisting of nothing but state troops using brand new Perry WotR miniatures for 50 for example.

You don't happen to have a few comparative pics, do you? I've tought about it too many times, but seeing that my Brets-converted-into-Middeheim forces have acquired quite a unique look and still look ridiculously small next to Wood Elf heroes and Chaos troops... I am not too sure I'd want more "Halflings" to convert into Empire troops.

Kevlar
29-03-2010, 23:11
Demons of Chaos are expensive to field, but cheap to buy. Units are high points cost. I'm sure they are one of the cheaper armies to collect.

Ozorik
29-03-2010, 23:22
You don't happen to have a few comparative pics, do you?

Unfortunately no but they are exactly the same as these (http://www.solegends.com/citcat9x3/c92358empinfantry-02.htm). Halberdier 7 for example is the same height and the same proportions as the Perry plastics (which is no surprise as these are also Perry miniatures), the only real difference is that the plastics are thinner, but they are not brittle.

Definitely worth getting, there is no difference at all between GW plastics and the Perry plastics in terms of detail (although the GW kits have more 'fluff' bits).

Pics courtesy of this thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190514&page=7)

here (http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z230/_toast__photos/DSCN2051.jpg)

and here (http://www.brueckenkopf-online.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/PM_WotRScale2.jpg)

KalEf
30-03-2010, 07:19
Well as stated before WoC is a solid playable cheap army. If you like knights and horsemen you can go on ebay and get a 2000pt army together for under $150. Your force will be both competitive and have fighty/ magicy options.

2 ogre battalions on Ebay will probably set you back $130. After converting and such, you can easily get a 2000pt army out of this

3 of the dwarf sets of BFSP should cut it for 2000 points. prolly get them for $75 total

On Ebay high elf silver helms, spearmen, and archers go for Cheap. wood elf glade guard go for super cheap.

watching for deals, I got 9 minotaurs, a doombull, a shaman, a shagoth, a box of chaos trolls, and 3 dragon ogers in an auction for $70 last year. I didn't want to spend the money... but I almost HAD to.

Sambojin
01-04-2010, 11:35
The "Stick Army of Doom". Wood Elves.

Not the stick a twig on a base and call it a dryad style. Well, almost..............

If you have ANY army from WFB or WH40k, then grab the sprue pieces and a lighter. Chop bits of sprue up, melt them into distorted, tree-like shapes and melt whatever left-over heads from your other army to the resulting figure. Glue/melt some actual twigs in there for tendrils etc. Dryads aplenty, with a Treeman to boot. Add elves to taste. Cheap (free bar the bases) and a moderately effective force. If modelled/melted right, you can quite easily get some excellent looking custom dryads out of it.

Suprisingly enough, not only can this look pretty effective, it counts as a GW conversion for playing in game stores/tournaments. You can even go as far to leave a few (C) GW logo's on the sprue pieces to prove it. Looks quite nice with melted, screaming Orc faces on the models. Or I thought so................

If you're that skint, this might be the perfect army for you. Maybe not the best hobby for the broke (as my currently un-employed-but-want-to-start-DE self is finding), but at least there's options. It's either that or a "counts-as" DOW army, depending on what figures you already have. You get a free book at least, and no-one minds playing against DOW.

FictionalCharacter
01-04-2010, 12:57
another ebay suggestion is to keep an eye out at weird times when few others will be around. a couple of weeks ago i basically won 12 chaos warriors for $4 because it was early sunday morning.

plus they're OOP and spiky, so i'm using them as chosen. easy 250+ points for $7 including shipping...

Grymlok
01-04-2010, 18:10
I've found some fantastic bargains on eBay in the past, but as has been mentioned patience is key. You'll often find older edition models really cheap and that could be a good way to build up an army on the cheap.

The Devourer
01-04-2010, 23:44
Trawl ebay for a few weeks. It won't take to long for you to find the army you want for a fraction of the price. As much as anyone complains you can get a great deal if you're patient and are ok with putting in some effort.

Getting a used 1000-1500pt army for under 100 is easy. Then just drop them in fairy power spray or any other paint stripper that you like and a few days later you will have an army ready to go.