PDA

View Full Version : GW *Supporting* 3rd party events...?

Crube
30-03-2010, 17:22
I was reading through my copy of Radio Race Car International Magazine (for radio control cars) and came across a double page add for the 'Southwest Model Engineering, Model Making & Hobbies Exhibition' (catchy title ;))

At the bottom of the page is an 'in association with...' bit... including Airfix, Humbrol, and Games Workshop....

(There's a link here (http://www.swmee.co.uk/))

But I thought GW didn't go in for this sort of thing any more....

Thoughts?

Llew
30-03-2010, 17:41
If they're back into trying to grow the profile of the hobby, then good for them! It's about time to see some sort of indication that they need to encourage people to get involved, not just depend on old word of mouth to bring in new blood.

Let's hope they do more of it. Maybe the revenues saved by cutting back to one-man stores will give them the ability to do more of this sort of thing.

Cresistauead
31-03-2010, 00:19
They used to have a whole department for supporting independent events in GW northern europe. In the UK, I'd say the whole GCN thing is a pretty strong case for supporting all sorts of events through an established middle man, but I have no idea of the exact details of how it works.

Sclep
31-03-2010, 00:24
Interesting (http://www.swmee.co.uk/sponsors.asp)

They get some advertising at the top of each page.

I don't think Salute is sponsored by GW...

Llew
31-03-2010, 04:43
Well, it makes sense. If you're going to try to reach new customers, go to where you might find people with some interests that might make tabletop wargaming appealing to them, but where a good number of them may not be already playing your games or even be aware of them.

I'd say the number of people who will attend Salute who have no idea about GW is probably pretty low.

snurl
31-03-2010, 06:13
GW has been at Historicon and Fall-In conventions in the past. They are not "regulars" however.

Melvaius
01-04-2010, 12:15
wierdly I do believe Warhammer acts as a venue for Salsa classes at, my mrs used to do Salsa and she got a txt from her teacher saying the class would be at WHW. Take from that what you will.

Verm1s
01-04-2010, 12:48
Take from that what you will.

That it's a pretty transparent prank? :p

Melvaius
01-04-2010, 13:04
No I am actually being serious, honest, I thought it was wierd, but I swear the txt said Salsa lesson Warhammer world Nottingham.

Daniel36
01-04-2010, 14:19
They used to have a whole department for supporting independent events in GW northern europe. In the UK, I'd say the whole GCN thing is a pretty strong case for supporting all sorts of events through an established middle man, but I have no idea of the exact details of how it works.

Well... It does involve sacrificing your soul to one of the four Chaos Gods... Some torturing to test your endurance...

I ran a club for about four years in a GW Retailer (In the Netherlands), and from time to time Outriders and employees from the nearest GW would come and host small events. That was moslty for store-events, but they also held an Apocalypse battle during a clubnight one time, to introduce the rules. It wasn't very succesful, but at least they tried!

That was in the past four years... I don't know to what degree GW HQ is involved in such activities though...

Brandir
04-04-2010, 16:55
GW sponsored SWMEE in 2009 as well as sponsoring this years event. They do seem to be more open to discussion with show/exhibition organisers about sponsoring or taking part in events in the UK which is good.

Personally I think that GW are missing a great marketing opportunity. They should attend all shows here in the UK, getting a local GW shop to send along a couple of staff members even if it is to run demo games.

burad
04-04-2010, 23:27
Demo games at conventions are very important to getting new blood. I haven't seen GW at a non-GW convention in years. If one of my buddies hadn't talked me into playing it, i wouldn't be playing it now.

Brandir
05-04-2010, 01:21
My prediction is that at Salute later this month the Forgeworld stand will be one of the busiest by far and sell out of much of their stock, even though other resin producers are at the show. Similarly, their GW retail stand at Salute was extremely busy in 2009 despite selling at full retail and other traders selling at 10%+ off.

I have posted before how I think that GW would have a super marketing opportunity at UK wargaming shows by running demo games but I have now convinced myself that the cost may outweigh the benefits:

GW are not going to acquire many more recruits to their systems at shows because the demographics would suggest most at a show are not into GW.

Of course that is based on my personal experience of trading at shows for the past 4 or so years, attending 25 each year. My own WM/H operation seems to work but I am now not convinced that GW could do the same.

Perhaps GW should attend shows as Forgeworld when it would do better and perhaps push Warhammer Ancient Battles themselves rather than 40K/Warhammer?

Mattcrowther00
05-04-2010, 14:29
If you look on the Salute website GW are running a demo table - though details are TBC... This may be forgeowrld, but if it IS GW thats a good step in the right direction!

GomezAddams
05-04-2010, 14:58
The thing is...

If GW attend these shows going up against competitors who are selling the same thing cheaper two stalls down its going to split the money they make. If they offer a discount then it undermines games day. My favorite thing about the games days of yester-year was the 5 boxes for 4 deals (especially as a younger more impoverished gamer).

The shows seem to me to be a way of making people aware of your product - GW has stores in every major city that do that, and if they can't offer something better then what another retailers doing two stalls down the road, its not worth it.

Mattcrowther00
05-04-2010, 15:16
The thing is...

If GW attend these shows going up against competitors who are selling the same thing cheaper two stalls down its going to split the money they make. If they offer a discount then it undermines games day. My favorite thing about the games days of yester-year was the 5 boxes for 4 deals (especially as a younger more impoverished gamer).

The shows seem to me to be a way of making people aware of your product - GW has stores in every major city that do that, and if they can't offer something better then what another retailers doing two stalls down the road, its not worth it.

I suppose the other option would be to go for the cinematic spectacle of things like Apoc - They may not be as cheap as other companies, but they do huge kits that look amazing.

A demo table showing a Blood Angels army deep striking into combat supported with Land Raiders and Thunderhawk's screaming overhead against an unstopable horde of Orks heavy with Stompas and Kans/Dreds would certainly turn heads even if it doesnt represent a "normal" game of 40k - And if that over the top demo game gets people to walk into a GW store then it has done it's job!

Meriwether
05-04-2010, 15:48
40K dropped the outrider program while I was in charge of SimCon in Rochester. They used to show up with a truckload of scenery and some boyz from Glen Burnie to run tournaments, do demos, hold painting classes, etc, etc.

They went from that -- which was probably a bit extreme for a college Con in Western New York -- to nothing in a single year.

Something in-between would be nice.

Brandir
05-04-2010, 16:38
I think that GW should look again at the outrider programme for the UK, 'sponsoring' people to run demo games at shows and indie shops.

gwarsh41
05-04-2010, 17:36
There is a baneblade up at the top in a red circle if it has not been noted yet.

blongbling
05-04-2010, 19:22
I think that GW should look again at the outrider programme for the UK, 'sponsoring' people to run demo games at shows and indie shops.

there are legal implications to the outriders prorgam in UK and Europe and that is the reason why it hasnt been kicked off over here.

Brandir
05-04-2010, 19:26
What are those implications? Voluntary workers are excluded from the minimum wage regulations. I suppose one would have to see if an 'outrider' is a voluntary worker though.

Cresistauead
05-04-2010, 22:30
Outrider program was stopped in the Americas, not in Europe. AFAIK they were never used in the UK because GCN fills the same role. They have a strong presence in the former GW Northern Europe sales countries. At least the UKGD seems to have been quite heavily staffed by them for the past two years.

burad
06-04-2010, 02:20
As far as the issue of GW having to compete at a wargames convention with a merchant two stalls down selling products at 20% off, it should be noted that those merchants tend to only bring boxed merchandise (no blisters), and no special order items. And they don't tend to bring books (codexes, etc) either.

Meriwether
06-04-2010, 02:53
burad, that is not at all my experience, and I either ran or helped run a Con for four years whilst an undergrad.

burad
06-04-2010, 03:21
Different conventions, perhaps. We're pretty religious about going to the HMGS East conventions - the biggest miniatures gaming conventions in this part of the country, and you rarely see GW blisters for sale by dealers there, at least not for the last couple years. Lots of boxed stuff though.

Meriwether
06-04-2010, 03:36
It's been a while for me, so your qualifier of "at least not for the last couple years" puts me firmly in the "Oooh, older than that..." category.

*scratches the gray hair in his beard and mutters about the whipper-snappers on Warseer these days...*

blongbling
06-04-2010, 08:36
Outrider program was stopped in the Americas, not in Europe.

The outrider program in Northern Europe was allowed to continue, though scaled down whilst they looked at the implications. There were various things being considered at the time concerning who which department they should work for and what they should be doing but it was all related to the new incarnation of the Premium hobby stockists program. As that program is till changing it is logical to assume that so will the roles of outriders in Europe

yabbadabba
06-04-2010, 10:22
As far as the issue of GW having to compete at a wargames convention with a merchant two stalls down selling products at 20% off, it should be noted that those merchants tend to only bring boxed merchandise (no blisters), and no special order items. And they don't tend to bring books (codexes, etc) either. I don't think that would matter too much anyway- I am not entirely certain they would make enough to matter. GW are in a difficult position when it comes to shows and selling stuff. They can't do anything to undermine their stockists (eg show deals, unique product promotions etc) and they can't discount as its their global policy not to. They can't take webstore only items as that unermines that part of the business. Without a department making back its investment, it becomes harder to justify going to the bean counters. I still think the best thing to do is to "contract out" to clubs etc but then you have a problem with negative association and quality control.

Rock and a Hard Place.

Angelwing
06-04-2010, 10:38
wierdly I do believe Warhammer acts as a venue for Salsa classes at, my mrs used to do Salsa and she got a txt from her teacher saying the class would be at WHW. Take from that what you will.

That it's a pretty transparent prank? :p

It's true. At the last Age of Strife meetup at WHW, we had to leave early one day for the salsa to take over!

Osbad
06-04-2010, 12:11
There was a small Forgeworld stand at Fiasco (an independent show held in Leeds) earlier this year. They had a display of painted FW models and were selling Warhammer Ancients books, many of them at deeply discounted prices (I bought Age of Arthur for 10, RRP ~20). I presumed this was a way for them of dumping excess stock, as the new edition of WAB is due soon?

Brandir
06-04-2010, 12:36
There was a small Forgeworld stand at Fiasco (an independent show held in Leeds) earlier this year. They had a display of painted FW models and were selling Warhammer Ancients books, many of them at deeply discounted prices (I bought Age of Arthur for 10, RRP ~20). I presumed this was a way for them of dumping excess stock, as the new edition of WAB is due soon?

Yes, you are quire correct!

baphomael
08-04-2010, 20:44
No I am actually being serious, honest, I thought it was wierd, but I swear the txt said Salsa lesson Warhammer world Nottingham.

Yep, that sounds about right, the bar area (at least used to be) used for non-GW functions. At one point, according to an old guide to nottingham, there was even a monthly gay night. Not sure how long that lasted for :p

Art Is Resistance
13-04-2010, 17:20

This is precisely what the GCN are supposed to help with...

But the words 'rave up' and 'brewery' come to mind in relation to them...

It's interesting. Do GW do well at these events, given that they are up against direct competition? I seem to recall being told that at one large event, the GW stand was deserted, as everyone was spending money at others - including Privateer and Battlefront's stands?