PDA

View Full Version : Codex: Catachans updated

Ohman
24-05-2005, 14:18
GW have updated the Catachan codex. Havn't had the chance to look at it myself yet but let's hope it turned out alright:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/imperialguard/catachan%2Drules/1/

Capt. Buko
24-05-2005, 14:42
Dosen't appear to be an actual update, rather they are just putting the dex online since you can't buy it anymore...

lord_blackfang
24-05-2005, 14:44
Meh. I can't find any changes at all, except "you can't use doctrines" thrown in somewhere near the start.

Ohman
24-05-2005, 14:46
Well they claim it's "newly revised and updated for the latest version of the Warhammer 40,000 rules". But I'm not all that familiar with the Catachans to begin with, so I havn't spotted anything "revised and updated" yet.

boogle
24-05-2005, 15:07
well they seem to have differentiated between Catachans and Jungle Fighters with Deathworld Vets and Catachans being better than Jungle Fighters doctrine (with better armour saves and access to more options)

x-esiv-4c
24-05-2005, 15:23
I fail to see any actual changes to the codex, well apart from the cover that is.

Jedi152
24-05-2005, 15:32
All we need now are some decent jungle fighter mini's and were all set.

Sir_Turalyon
24-05-2005, 15:39
Reads the dex... Too bad I don't have my own, but these things look different (someone with dex at hand please verify).

All rules for using borrowed units from Deathworld Veterans list in regular Guard armies have been removed (they have been disabled when new codex appeared, anyway). All rules for uprgrading regular guardsmen to Deathworld Veterans gone. Instead, a "can use no doctrines" option appeared.

Names adjustment in special rules - dangerous terrain instead of difficult terrain at sentinels, vox casters instead of comm-links etc.

Slightly updated Jungle fighting rules - scanner rules for Necros and Tau added.

Possible changes of Straken special character's special rules - I think he could'nt turn Catachan Devils into Troop Choices (cool idea for cityfighting army, through)

EDIT: following have verified to be false impression, sorry for confusing.

Prices of command squad special weapons may be up. In contrast, prices of infrantry squads special weapons are as low as they were in 3rd edition.

Assault team can have three demo charges - I think it was only one in original dex, and more expansive.

In overall: It's old Codex Catachans, with all it's 3rd edition rules renamed to 4th edition equivalents. No changes to resamble 4th edition guard organisation (like new command platoons or veteran squads) - only equipment names updated.

There may be few balanceing changes in option prices - no codex to verify it.

xerxeshavelock
24-05-2005, 16:17
A fairly important distinction is that in the old Codex they couldnít move and see through 12Ē of woods, whereas in the new IG Codex Jungle Fighters allows this.

40 points seems very expensive for a mortar. I wonder if this is intended.

I didnít see any rule limiting the number of Demo charges a squad can fire in a turn. Do we go by these rules or the IG codex?

Capt. Buko
24-05-2005, 16:39
well since you have only have 2 max demos in a normal IG army..and each of those are in two different squads...you can fire 2..for the entire game. (not talking about last chancers, just IG)

Besides that, if you have two in a squad you can fire two...always have been able to according to the new dex. (again moot point)

Darius Rhiannon
24-05-2005, 17:01
Actually the sentence was radically changed...

If you want to field Deathworld Veterans in your standard IG army you should make use of the Jungle Fighters Doctrine... blah blah blah...

The did gain the ability to see through 12' of forest when moving.

Some of the Artwork is new, like the image on the bottom of page 2

The Deathworld command is the same cost, as is the weapons. The veteran command lost its comm-link (it used to be below medic)

The leadership rule is still the same and is still inferior to the one in codex imperial guard which can be used for LEADERSHIP TESTS..

The Catachan Devils are the same, except that what used to be the "Hardened Fighters and Steadfast Battle Honours" are explained.

Deathworld veterans are still the same, including the multiple demo charges.
"Gung Ho" wording a bit better.

Sniperas and Platoon commands seem identical.

Infantry squad, aside from different order of the Heavy weapons, no changes.

Deathworld Sentinels are still the same, except the Rough Terrain Modification rules name has been changed to Slash and Burn, and expanded to cover dangerous terrain.

Veteran Patrols, are still the same.

Mortars are still bizarrely overcosted. 56pts per mortar? 168pts per team. No thanks.

Booby Traps still the same...

Hobby section gone

Jungle rules seem the same

Tau Pathfinders and kroot added to be capable of scanning...

They have added a flaw in the booby traps rule on page 13 of the electronic copy.

The rest the same.

blood angel
24-05-2005, 17:14
I think to really use this list it would bog down game play and most certainly cost you your soft scores in tournament situations.

Sir_Turalyon
24-05-2005, 17:23
40 points seems very expensive for a mortar. I wonder if this is intended.

They are supposed to be very powerful in jungle enviroment, as range of sight is limited ot 6" (12 for catachans), and mortars can fire at things they don't see. It just isn't that powerful when it hits...

Tadite
24-05-2005, 20:11
I think to really use this list it would bog down game play and most certainly cost you your soft scores in tournament situations.

No one I think would use the Deathworld rules. But other then that its ok. Think its going to stay purdy rare though.

Frankly
01-06-2005, 03:52
I didnít see any rule limiting the number of Demo charges a squad can fire in a turn. Do we go by these rules or the IG codex?

I don't think so. The rules for the demo charges come under specail rules that would override the codex rules wouldn't it.

neXus6
01-06-2005, 04:00
I don't have my Catachan codex here with me, but I'm 99.9% sure it stated only one Demo Charge could be thrown a turn.

As for people not using the deathworld setup, I've played a couple of games with it amd it's very cool, you need to make proper use of clearings and stuff. Now if only I could get my hands on an army worth of metal catachans, they are so much nicer than the plastics. :(

sigur
01-06-2005, 10:56
I don't have my Catachan codex here with me, but I'm 99.9% sure it stated only one Demo Charge could be thrown a turn.

Codex Catachan says that you can use only one demo charge per turn, no matter how many soldiers in the squad are equipped with demo charges. Just looked it up.

As for people not using the deathworld setup, I've played a couple of games with it amd it's very cool, you need to make proper use of clearings and stuff. Now if only I could get my hands on an army worth of metal catachans, they are so much nicer than the plastics. :(

*pets his metal Catachans* theheheheeee... :p

Frankly
01-06-2005, 14:47
Codex Catachan says that you can use only one demo charge per turn, no matter how many soldiers in the squad are equipped with demo charges. Just looked it up.

Hmmm .... not in the new catachan special rules it doesn't, but maybe I'm missing something.

sigur
01-06-2005, 15:02
Yeah, they cut the passage about "only one demo charge per turn" out for some reason, the rest of the text is indentical to the original Codex. Strange thing.

btw, could it be that they also cut out the part about including Catachan jungle fighters into a reguar IG army?

Frankly
02-06-2005, 09:57
I don't know.

I've looked at the codex again and honestly, I really don't think they've put to much time into it. On other forums people have brought up other oddities about a new wording(or lack of it)as well. Oh well, we'll have to wait 12 months for a Q&A I guess.

Grumnir
03-06-2005, 00:04
Looking at it i must say one of the tastier options is the Devil Squad.

Vt Sgt with Honourifica Imperialis and Veteran Officer has the potential for a lot of un toys. and armour piercing attacks. That and the ability to pop out of nowhere and attack (in the jungle context) is pretty sweet looking.