PDA

View Full Version : Codex catachan is BACK!

Maxis Lithium
24-05-2005, 15:01
Released for download on the Canadian website (maby on others, haven't looked) the old Catichan codex has been released, and indicated on the website as being a fully legal list. I have e-mailed them to confirm this.

the webite is here: http://ca.games-workshop.com/catachans/home.htm :D

Now to coninc people to play with 50% foret cover! :cheese:

Lainer
24-05-2005, 15:04
Nice. Catachan vs kroot would be an interesting battle to play.

philbrad2
24-05-2005, 15:09
Already posted in the GENERAL forum HERE (http://www.portent.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2526)

With a link to the UK download page. Printing it out currently

:chrome:

boogle
24-05-2005, 15:09
and they are much better than the doctrined version in Codex IG

philbrad2
24-05-2005, 15:11
Nice. Catachan vs kroot would be an interesting battle to play.

Hmmm.... my mate has a Catachan IG army (and Cadian .. and Steel Legion...) and we've a cackload of Kroot between us. Might have a go at this. :D

:chrome:

boogle
24-05-2005, 15:12
shold be lots of fun, may well paint up my Kroot to take on an old friends Catachans

Maxis Lithium
24-05-2005, 15:35
From Canada, eh? ;)

Hi there,

We're glad that you're pleased with the reintroduction of the
Catachan Codex. But, it isn't exactly the same as the old one, so make
sure you download the new one so that you are completely up to date.

Doctrines are mentioned, and the Deathworld regiment may not
take any, as the special rules that they get in the codex replace the
ability to get those special upgrades.

Have fun building your army!

Scott
Direct Services

So yea, it's completely legal. I'm tickled pink. (which is uncomfortable, but I'm willing to make the sacrifice.)

Ass Goblin
25-05-2005, 09:21
Holy Crap. GW doing something for free. That's really sweet of them.

*hugs GW*

Duymon
25-05-2005, 10:17
I wish they'd do this with all their codexes :chrome:

With the codex out of free I would see it as great marketing for the seldom used catachan

Slazton
25-05-2005, 11:56
Never thought I see the day GW doing stuff for free after the whole Codex Assassin thingy I got last. Wow.

Scythe
25-05-2005, 12:34
I wish they'd do this with all their codexes :chrome:

Dream on ;)

Still, a codex for free is always nice. Altough I don't play Catachans (or anyone around here), I might have a go with the jungle fight rules some day.

Easy E
26-05-2005, 03:13
They claim it is different, but when I looked at the important parts (The list and Jungle fighting rules) it looked the same. Either way it's pretty cool. I love jungle fighting!

Scythe
26-05-2005, 07:25
Don't expect too much change in a free product.

Still, I had never seen codex: catachans, so there's some new stuff for me in it.

john-connors
26-05-2005, 08:58
They only released it as a freebie as GW is hoping to pimp some of their seriously overpriced jungle terrain to the 40K-centric players. Pet stores are cheaper, or my personal favourite Ebay.

They would have done better if they had released the jungle fighting rules across all the WDs at the same time they were promoting the Lustia campaign.

Darkness
26-05-2005, 09:53
It is good to see the Catachans back as a proper legal army again. With the release of the new IG codex, the Catachan rules were in doubt as to whether they could still be used, but this seems to confirm that the old Catachan rules are still available to use. Nice to have a free codex to download too.

Snorphel
31-05-2005, 21:06
Have you guys noticed that Catachans now can shoot through 12 inch of jungle even after they moved! The old rules only allowed them to do that if they stayed on the spot.

So now you will see them killing most opponents without ever receiving return fire!

Having some Kroot and Tyranids in the jungle will be big fun! With Tyranids it will be the flamer disco inferno for the small ones and melta mania for the big ones! Ehhh, gulp, hopefully.

Frankly
01-06-2005, 03:45
Does the new codex make them any more effective outside of the jungle.?

Easy E
01-06-2005, 04:06
Not that I can see!

The other nice thing about this download some other units and army lists specifically reference the rules in Catachan Codex. I think the Feral Ork list, Kroot Merc list, and the Armageddon Ork Hunters all use some of the Catachan rules.

sigur
01-06-2005, 10:33
Holy Crap. GW doing something for free. That's really sweet of them.

*hugs GW*

Hail Ass Goblin!
Don't hug GW too much. While we cheer them for putting the Catachan 'dex online they're working on 70 new plans to annoy us, take (even more of) our money, steal our souls (even more) and eat our pie.

apart from that, it's rather interesting. I have a Catachan army (but not jungle fighters :p ) and the now old Codex Catachan. Let's see if they put in any changes.

Snorphel
01-06-2005, 12:27
Yep, they will still get shot up outside the jungle - no vehicles, no lascannons and 1.5 times the points you pay for a normal IG trooper.

Though a few patches of forest/jungle here and there on the field can still make the difference.

Scythe
01-06-2005, 18:14
Yep, they will still get shot up outside the jungle - no vehicles, no lascannons and 1.5 times the points you pay for a normal IG trooper.

Well, they have sentinels...

Btw you forgot to mention they also have overpriced flamers outside the jungle.

aznsk8s87
02-06-2005, 09:25
I've downloaded a free copy of this "codex" as well... some useful stuff. I don't own an IG army but I've played one (borrowed from a friend)... and have noticed that this catachan army list is screwed in an open field. I mean... no vehicles aside from sentinels says it all.... oh and the no lascannons as well =P. Think about it; most players in 1500+ will field at least one vehicle... where will your anti-armour equipment be, the meltaguns?! good luck trying to get close enough to use it.

sigur
02-06-2005, 09:44
You are a very wise young man, azn...

If you want a "com*blerch*petative" army, leave your Catachans at home. They rarely won any grand tournaments in the last few years IIRC.

Frankly
02-06-2005, 10:15
Btw you forgot to mention they also have overpriced flamers outside the jungle.

But inside the jungle its a totally different story ... no its not ... they're still over price.

It's amazing they didn't put up the price of plasma guns just to kick Catachan soilders in the balls one last time.

aznsk8s87
02-06-2005, 10:42
Flamers have only helped me in city fights, they always screw me over in jungle terrain.

Ha. i doubt there's anything left to kick from them!

Scythe
02-06-2005, 13:59
But inside the jungle its a totally different story ... no its not ... they're still over price.

It's amazing they didn't put up the price of plasma guns just to kick Catachan soilders in the balls one last time.

Maybe it's just that gw dislikes flamers. Hah! We made flamers so expensive they'll never be taken anyway. Oh wait, they could acctually be usefull in jungle fights. No problem, we just increase the pts values some more for jungle fighter armies... ;)

aznsk8s87
02-06-2005, 14:02
Well I typically use a Marine army and i have hardly ever found flamers to be useful. The only time I have ever found the flame template to be useful is when I tried it recently on a DW squad and it paid off...well kinda. the squad burned up tons of stuff but it left them with nothing to charge... luckily flashlights... i mean lasguns bounce off their armour :D

sigur
02-06-2005, 14:43
Yup, flamers are almost never worth their points.

Only one time I was lucky enough to get a swarm of gaunts into a bottleneck-like situation right in front of my 6 men remnants squad with their flamer. That was pretty cool.

But apart from those situations....nah. Once we house-ruled that if someone fires a flamer into a small house, all minis inside get hit just to raise the usefulness of flamers a bit.

Snorphel
02-06-2005, 19:05
The problem with the flamer is that it's range is too small and that it is not very good at killing power armoured troops compared to the other special weapons.

95% of all games is just two power armoured armies march into each other to see which one is going to win the brawl - yes in this case flamers are not good.

aznsk8s87
03-06-2005, 01:15
Yea, that 3+ armour save is a pain in the ***

I like that houserule, Sigar. It only seems fair that the flames would spread throught the entire interior of the house...

PhrollikK
03-06-2005, 06:17
I play IG regularly and wonder if anyone has an idea on what changes have been made from the old Codex:Catachans to this new release?

Oh, don't trashtalk the flamer, in my opinion it's probably the best specialweapon out there. Not only does it hit automatically, but in general you get 4-6 hits with it and it gives no cover save! Sure, flamers aren't optimized for power armour, but still you might pop one or two, compared to zero kills from 9 rapidfiring lasguns (most often).

Just to brag: I moved in a Chimera of mine from reservers and on to the table. It's Heavy Flamer shot at the nearest Gaunt Brood, 14 in total. The flamer caught 11 of them and killed them all, the SB and ML finished the rest. No plasma gun can give that satisfaction of wiping a whole unit in practically one shot and demoralizing your opponent totally :chrome:

aznsk8s87
03-06-2005, 15:05
I play IG regularly and wonder if anyone has an idea on what changes have been made from the old Codex:Catachans to this new release?

Oh, don't trashtalk the flamer, in my opinion it's probably the best specialweapon out there. Not only does it hit automatically, but in general you get 4-6 hits with it and it gives no cover save! Sure, flamers aren't optimized for power armour, but still you might pop one or two, compared to zero kills from 9 rapidfiring lasguns (most often).

Just to brag: I moved in a Chimera of mine from reservers and on to the table. It's Heavy Flamer shot at the nearest Gaunt Brood, 14 in total. The flamer caught 11 of them and killed them all, the SB and ML finished the rest. No plasma gun can give that satisfaction of wiping a whole unit in practically one shot and demoralizing your opponent totally :chrome:

Impressive... you know what's fun is using a devastator squad full of plasma cannons. well it is until you fry all of your men by the 3rd turn :skull:

9 times out of 10 i play against power armoured armies... the other 1 time it's guard and i find the only flamer templates I use are on suicide assault squds that go in... and get killed by the 4th turn.

Scythe
03-06-2005, 17:40
Impressive... you know what's fun is using a devastator squad full of plasma cannons. well it is until you fry all of your men by the 3rd turn :skull:

Until the opponent realises the huge disadvantage which centring small blasts on single models under 4th edition gives, and spreads out maximal. Blast weapons got quite nerfed in most occasions in 4th edition. Nah, just give me a battle cannon (or two). Way more effecient. ;)

Flamers are not completely useless, but not great weapons either. And like said, in most cases the other special weapons are more worth it. I run them sometimes on small remnant squads tough, just cause they usually get ignored anyway and I'm not giving any usefull firepower away moving them to optimised positions.

aznsk8s87
04-06-2005, 05:29
Until the opponent realises the huge disadvantage which centring small blasts on single models under 4th edition gives, and spreads out maximal. Blast weapons got quite nerfed in most occasions in 4th edition. Nah, just give me a battle cannon (or two). Way more effecient. ;)

Flamers are not completely useless, but not great weapons either. And like said, in most cases the other special weapons are more worth it. I run them sometimes on small remnant squads tough, just cause they usually get ignored anyway and I'm not giving any usefull firepower away moving them to optimised positions.

You want ordnance? get a VINDICATOR :evilgrin: but then gain only 24"... thunderhawk transporter anyone :evilgrin:

Scythe
04-06-2005, 10:20
You want ordnance? get a VINDICATOR :evilgrin: but then gain only 24"... thunderhawk transporter anyone :evilgrin:

Well, I don't care that much if a vindicator destroys one of my guard squads a turn.... :p

Expendable troops is a nice thing to have.... :D

sigur
04-06-2005, 10:33
An IG player has no need for some SM tank.

btw, did anyone else thing that the SM stole the Demolisher cannon to put it into a min-maxed Predator chassis when the Vindicator was released? :p

aznsk8s87
05-06-2005, 01:09
um aren't all the chassis's based on the rhino?

blitz589
09-06-2005, 00:09
ya pretty much except for the land raiderr