PDA

View Full Version : Which is worse

Weirdboy
24-05-2005, 17:28
On one table at a Rogue Trader this weekend the two armies facing off against each other: A Swordwind army with 6 or 7 Wave Serpents filled with either Storm Guardians, Banshees, and Scorpions - And an Imperial Fists army led by Lysander with 10 Scouts and the rest Terminators (30 or so?) with 6 Assault Cannons, 2 Heavy flamers, and 2 Missile Launchers.

The game started fine, but before the second turn was even over all the tables around them were cringing as one of the players quit the game while yelling and screaming about how unfun unfair impossible unfluffy and cheesy the other player's army is.

Without a doubt the worst thing I have witnessed at a gaming event. Good thing it was the last round as it kind of bothered everyone at the place to some extent. I am interested in other people's thoughts on this kind of thing.

mangustheix
24-05-2005, 17:36
well, i think it is pretty shameful. They are both pretty cheesy, but even so, just get on with the game, try to have some fun and dont bitch about what your facing.

blood angel
24-05-2005, 17:37
I can't stand it. Normally it is someone that considers themself somewhat 'savvy' and ends up getting the better taken of them.

They can't possibly understand how they could be beaten by someone and they throw a tantrum.

Yorkiebar
24-05-2005, 18:41
Unless they were about 12 years old that behaviour is so ridiculous they didn't deserve to bet there anyway. If someone's army is cheesy you get on and play anyway, decent tournaments will give marks for sportsmanship and painting to make up for it.

Captain Brown
24-05-2005, 18:46
Never give up. The gods of chance and dice and well painted armies eventually lead to the defeat of all 'cheesy' army lists. This also happens when a one-trick pony army meets the one-trick pony opponent designed to destroy it.

Yelling or screaming is not on, whatever your age when wargaming.

Lostanddamned
24-05-2005, 19:33
Unless you are charging orks into closecombat, then it is fluffy.

TheSonOfAbbadon
24-05-2005, 20:19
Unless you are charging orks into closecombat, then it is fluffy.

3 letters can sum up my responce to this: WTF?

Lostanddamned
24-05-2005, 20:24
'scuse me, im mostly with it today
orks when they charge tend to scream and yell, so if you scream and yell whilst charging your orks it is in characheter

im a dumbass...

Captain Brown
24-05-2005, 20:31
'scuse me, im mostly with it today
orks when they charge tend to scream and yell, so if you scream and yell whilst charging your orks it is in characheter

im a dumbass...

Good point...I guess, although generally most players will not confuse "Ere we go! Ere we go!" with "Your army is so @#$% cheesy...etc, etc, etc." ;)

x-esiv-4c
24-05-2005, 20:54
Wait, how does one pack so many termies and still be legal!?

PBGhost
24-05-2005, 20:57
Wait, how does one pack so many termies and still be legal!?

Lysander w/ up to 10 Termi Command

0-10 Termis
0-10 Termis
0-10 Termis

2x5 Scouts

x-esiv-4c
24-05-2005, 20:58
Wow....i'm just not sure what to think....

Cloudscape_online
24-05-2005, 21:14
@x-esiv-4c, how does one pack so many termies and still be legal!? Very carefully. :p

In any case, it's good to see so many of you guys wouldn't tolerate that kind behaviour, be it at a gaming club or at a tournament. It's just not cool.

It's scary how many players ignore 'The Most Important Rule'. If you can't quite remember it get your copy of the rulebook, (hardback version) and turn to page 5. I think this section really *is* the most important section of the book. Hell, of the entire GW range. This section will probably be printed in every core rule book from now on and for a bloody good reason.

It's kind of expected that Rules-lawyers decline from pointing this rule out at every opportunity.

Join me in my crusade!! Band together with me and we shall become "The Most Important Rule Lawyers" Down with rules-lawyers and the seeting mass of bitchiness that goes with it!! Who's with me?! Raaaagh!

<ahem> :p

Toda
24-05-2005, 21:36
Seeing as that I play both swordwind eldar and Imperial fists, (started both before they became ubar cheddar :cheese: ) I'm curious as to who got mad at who over which list was cheesiest? :eyebrows: Both list can be abused to the extreme but both list can also get thier butts handed to them if you get one turn of bad luck or make a small mistake.

To get mad enough at your opponent to yell and scream tells me that this person is not mature enough to be let out of the sandbox and allowed to play with the big kids. Glad I am that my group has none of those types.

Weirdboy
24-05-2005, 22:12
The amount of termies was achieved with Lysander with command, Librarian in termie armor with command, and 3 elite choices.

The angry fellow was the eldar player.

The angry fellow was also not from our local group, but from a group from out of town who came to play with us. Very nice of them to join in I might add. It was, with this one incident as an exception, a very fun time, and it was great to have some new people to play with.

Jonathan =I=
25-05-2005, 07:38
In a local tournament around here if a person ever started yelling and screaming at another player about cheese and walked away from the game they would be banned from the tournament and their money not refunded (Its in the tourni contract) such behavior should never be tolerated in a friendly game.

Tyra_Nid
25-05-2005, 07:51
Join me in my crusade!! Band together with me and we shall become "The Most Important Rule Lawyers" Down with rules-lawyers and the seeting mass of bitchiness that goes with it!! Who's with me?! Raaaagh!

I totally agree- i hate the bloody rules nazis that will follow rules to the letter rather than having fun...

Brushmonkey
25-05-2005, 08:12
I prefer it when folks DO follow the rules, that way no-one is cheating.

Bit of a poor showing by the Eldar player there, the 'Termie Bomb' is hardly a new concept. By the sounds of his army, he could have taken the Imp player, but just screwed up.

Never mind, worse things happen at sea eh?

Karhedron
25-05-2005, 15:13
It does seem rather odd. A highly mobile army facing an opponent who deploys his army in a fairly haphazard fashion and has little mobility once the Deep Strikes are over.

Sure you would probably lose a few Serpents to rear assault cannon shots but once they are deployed it would all change. The Wave Serpent fields prevent extra penetration dice from shooting attacks meaning that once he gets his front or side armour facing the assault cannons, the Marine playere would need a 6 to even glance them. Then just shoot at them for a couple of turns with starcannons before charging in to finish them off with the Banshees.

A Terminator army sounds scary but when you are fielding a highly mobile army with guns that can potentially kill 3 terminators a turn then I don't think you have too much to worry about.

Weirdboy
25-05-2005, 17:13
There weren't any star cannons. Just bright lances and scatter lasers.

Scabby
25-05-2005, 20:26
No starcannons :eek: That's just crazy in a tournament. Initially I thought it was the Fists player who walked out. It'd seem like eldar could put this termie army in the bag. Most of the typical anti-marine kit one brings to tournies is just as good against termies.

Still poor sports

Once had a BA player complain about the number of tanks in an IG army(and the dude even had a griffon) while he had 5 dreads in his own army.

Grumnir
26-05-2005, 00:09
No starcannons :eek: That's just crazy in a tournament.

Yet in another thread theres been a fair bit of debate over the starcannon and its essentiality (new word :)). For Eldar its almost a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation.

anarchistica
26-05-2005, 03:01
No Starcannons and he actually had Storm Guardians? At least his army had some semblance of a theme too. :p