PDA

View Full Version : The Tale of 40K Painters, 2009-2010: Submissions thread #9! May 2010 WIP

McMullet
04-05-2010, 09:31
As everyone is slowly slipping back through the month and we're on the home straight anyway, I'll give you an extra week from now on - submissions by the 21st-ish please!

For those of you who donít know what the Tale of Painters is, look here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212681). It's a bit late to join in with this tale, but a new one will start around August. For the moment, please post in the previous working thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252270); from the 21st of May that thread will close, so reply to this one instead.

NOTE: For those of you who missed my post last month, I'm currently suffering from an RSI and so I can't type much. For this reason I won't be able to answer as many questions as I'd like to, nor will I be able to post many comments/feedback on everyone else's work. Hopefully I'll be back up to speed soon. Even if I'm not posting individual comments on what you're doing I'd just like to say how much I enjoy reading through your posts and, especially, looking at the pictures.

YOUR MONTHLY UPDATE

So, you're signed up to the Tale of 40K Painters, and it's time to show off your minis for this month. Well, you're most of the way there, because this is the thread to do it! All I ask is that you post up pictures of what you have done this month, along with a total points cost, in the next FOURTEEN DAYS. There are some guidelines on what to include below, and you can use my post as a template if you like. If you don't post by the 21st of May you'll count as having played a "joker".

However: Please don't post anything else in this thread until the 21st of May! Feedback, questions and so on should be posted in the current working thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252270) until the 21st, when all submissions are due in and this thread morphs into a new working thread.

For your official monthly post, please try to follow the following guidelines:

You should include a description of each unit you have painted, including the number and type of models, and any upgrades or equipment they carry, followed by the total points cost of the unit. Please, DO NOT post the points costs of individual upgrades or models, as GW donít like it and so neither, by extension, do the moderators. If you have painted more than one unit, give the total points cost of your monthly painting endeavours.

Next, please post photos of each unit you have painted, and of the army as a whole. Photos should be cropped or resized to around 1000 by 1000 pixels to avoid scrollbars and ensure the thread doesnít take too long to load.
A note on pictures: Try not to overdo the photos. The Tale is about showing off your work, but try to do it concisely - if everyone posts 13 different angles of every model they paint, that means the whole thread becomes massive. Try to keep your monthly update to one post (6 pictures) and post links to any additional photos you wish to show - or better still, include a link to your painting log here if you have one, so that anyone viewing the thread who takes an interest can take a look and give you some feedback if they want to.

The rest of your post is up to you. You can say anything you like here, about what you enjoyed or found hard, what you were especially pleased with, etc., etc... Feel free to use this post (http://warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1870139&postcount=11) as a template for your update.

If you have to play a joker, please post saying so, and include a suitably amusing image. If you do not post within the next fourteen days, then you will automatically count as having jokered April.

I think we can forgo the dice rolls from now on, 20-odd people is manageable enough I think. Feel free to carry on if you want to though.

Thanks for reading all that. I look forward to seeing your work - good luck!

Sam (McMullet)

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Harry has also posted a couple of good FAQs in the Fantasy tale thread, which are equally applicable here. I will shamelessly steal and repost them here (references to "200 points a month" simply mean a tenth of your army, so if you paint 1500 points altogether that means 150 a month):

Q : Can I paint more than 200 points in a month?
A : Yes (we are not here to tell you how and when to paint your stuff, it is great to get ahead) BUT we would like you only to post 200 points (approx) each month and try to stay roughly on track with 200 points a month (200 points in month 1, 400 points by month 2, 600 points by month 3, etc.) so as not to depress the hell out of those of us who are struggling to keep up.

Q : Can I paint less than 200 points in a month?
A : Yes. But we try to stay on track by painting more points in the next month to 'catch up'. For example oif you only painted 100 points one month you could try and get 300 points painted the next month. Equally if you paint more one month you can take it easy and paint less the next month.

Q : What happens when I paint an expensive character?
A : This happens a lot. If your character was over 400 points you would simply paint him over two months (the sort of time your general deserves!) So You start posting him one month and post nothing the first month (unless you want to post WIP) then the second month you post the finished model and all the points get added on.

Q : Is there any way to "buy back" a Joker later on in the tale?
A : Yes, just post an update with double points later on, and you'll get back your first joker.

STAT ATTACK

Will be done sometime I hope!

daemonkin
04-05-2010, 09:38
Oh yeah baby, first reply goes to Bob!

Will fill out later when I have time:

Army: Mantis Warriors Pre Badab War 40K

Units painted this month: Half Tactical squad and Venerable Dreadnought

Points painted this month: 265 + weapons for dread
Points painted so far: 1850

Painting: Same as always, gnarloc and 2 coats of thraka and then detail.

Highs: Loved painting up the dread. Wasn't supposed to be on the cards (Assault termie marines) but he just kept staring at me! The amount of detail was stunning and I found a very effective way of doing gold:
Chainmail and 2 coats of Gryhonne Sepia followed by edging with Mithril silver.

Lows: After I painted the head (separately) I thought I would dry fit it and see how it looked and the damn thing stuck inside the sarcophagus! Tried to get it out and in doing so damaged the model and the paint job. So I just left it in and now it wobbles. Will fix when I get a chance.

Venerable Dreadnought with Inferno Cannon and DCCW:

http://www.thousand-sons.co.uk/images/galleries/IMG_1303.JPG

http://www.thousand-sons.co.uk/images/galleries/IMG_1306.JPG

Completed Tac Squad:
http://www.thousand-sons.co.uk/images/galleries/IMG_1302.JPG

----

Army: Mantis Warriors Pre Badab War Epic

Units painted this month: Half Reaver Titan

Points painted this month: 325
Points painted so far: 2775

Painting: Same as always, gnarloc and 2 coats of thraka and then detail.

Highs: Getting a nice centrepiece done.

Lows: The base fades in too much with the colour scheme.

Conversions: See last month's entry: CCW and different arm weapon than standard.

Epic Reaver titan of Legio Basiliskos (Cockatrices)

http://www.thousand-sons.co.uk/images/galleries/IMG_1307.JPG

Up next:
40K - Kantor conversion and Assault termies
Epic - Land Raider formation

D.

misterboff
04-05-2010, 22:49
misterboff's Deathskull Orks: April 2010

~1/3 of a Stompa (head and Grot Riggers)

TOTAL PAINTING FOR APRIL: 200 POINTS (2000/12=167 TARGET)

TOTAL ARMY SIZE: 1582 POINTS (1503 TARGET)

BACKGROUND/THEME:
'...the Boneheadz family of Death Skulls once overran and plundered an Imperial penal colony, and wore fragments of convict clothing printed with black arrows for generations afterwards.' - Waaargh The Orks!

BUILD/CONVERSION:
The Stompa is built pretty much as per the instructions. I've split it up to be painted over 3 months:
February - Body
March - Arms and Feet
April - Head and Grot Riggers

PAINTING:
Metal: Boltgun/Badab/Mithril
Black: Chaos/Badab/Adeptus Battlegrey
Straps: Adeptus/Badab
Bone: Dheneb/Ogryn/Bone
Blue: Enchanted/Asurmen/Ice
White: Astronomican/Badab/Skull
Red: Mechrite/Baal/Blood
Yellow: Iyanden/Sepia/Sunburst
Grot Skin: Gretchin/Thraka/Camo

The first colour is the basecoat, the second is a wash and the third is a drybrush.

BASING:
Vomit Brown followed by a dip in some Citadel Sand.

STILL TO DO:
Nothing.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs: Having a finished Stompa to take to my local store's monthly Apocalypse games, I've just got to try to find a way to safely store/transport it now...
Lows: The Supa-Rokkit placement dilemna from last month meant that I couldn't put one of my Grot Riggers where I wanted him (on the platform on the gun arm). On the plus side though, I've based him to use as an extra Ammo Runt.

Next month I'm going to attempt one of the lovely new Deff Dreads...

misterboff

[Head, Grot Riggers, Stompa front, Stompa left, Stompa right]

zis
05-05-2010, 18:58
Zis: Daemons

Total Painting for mars: 160
Total Army Size: 1630p (i have decided that 1500p is to little so 1750 it will be)
Dice Roll: 5

Units:

5 fiends of slannesh

Conversions:

The lower body is greenstuff and the upper part daemonettes.

Painting:

I used Vallejo game colours and some GW washes

Still to Do:

Done.

Highs and Lows:

Nice to see the army nearly finished now, and these girls are just awsome on the battlefield.

Pictures:

No army picture this month sry.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/Zis11/fiends.jpg

Irondog
07-05-2010, 06:50
Irondog's Crimson Fists

Total Painting for April '10: 235 points
Total Army Size: ~ 1750 points
Die Roll: 2

Units:
Since I took last month off from the fists (I needed the time to get my Blood Bowl guys painted), I'm back this month with a bit more than the requisite 200 points. A squad of Terminators, tipping the scale at 235 points, armed with an Assault Cannon and a Chainfist.

Conversions:
Nothing really. As with most of this army, I wanted to go pretty much stock from the basic kits to show what can be done with painting alone. I'll leave all the psycotic conversions for my Orks. :D

Painting:
The blue armor was done in the same way as the rest of my infantry, but I added some of the detail work on the chest eagles in gold as opposed to the more typical silver. Hey, they're Terminators. Gotta have a bit more 'bling' on 'em. The gold areas were basecoated with shining gold, given a wash of Badab Black and the edge highlighted with Burnished Gold.

Basing:
Gravel and pebbles, then painted with Bestial Brown, followed by drybrushes of Bubonic Brown and Bleached Bone in that order.

Still to Do:
Nothing.

Highs and Lows:
Highs: Watching the army come together. With some wargear juggling it's at about 1750 points. Time for a game.

Lows: None.

PICTURES

http://www.irondogstudios.com/images/crimsonfists/termis1.jpg
http://www.irondogstudios.com/images/crimsonfists/army_06.jpg

infelix
08-05-2010, 18:32
ARMY : Epic Chaos

UNIT: 5 Defiler proxy, 1 Nurgle Retinue, 1 Obliterator, 1 Dreadnought

BASING: Same as before.

HIGHS AND LOWS: Fun models to paint but a pain to glue together and I finally reached 5000Pt.

TOTAL POINTS : 5245pts

http://files.klatu.org/Photos/To40kg/Epic-9.jpg

Chicken_Funk
11-05-2010, 18:46
ARMY : Space Marines

UNIT: 'Counts As' Lysander

BASING: Same as before.

HIGHS: continuing with making the special characters from all plastic. its a lot of fun, and cool to know that no one else will have the same model as me!

TOTAL POINTS : 1600pts

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc79/ChickenFunk/lysander.jpg

jpobrich
12-05-2010, 18:41
jpobrich's Dark Angels

Just a quick reply for the moment. I painted up a Deathwing Terminator Squad (225 pts) this month. Photos to come. I decided to drop my Orks, but I will make up the points in Dark Angels.

/J.P.

Dumnorix
13-05-2010, 10:09
Dumnorix's Evil Sunz (appr. 2000 points)

APRIL PAINTING:

Trukk (red paint job, wreckin' ball, reinforced ram & rokkit launcha)
Deff Dread (variable loadout, pictured below with 3 close combat weapons and a skorcha)

TOTAL PAINTING FOR APRIL: 155 Points

TOTAL SO FAR: 1570 points.

BACKGROUND/THEME:
A Dread does not strictly fit in with my speedfreeks theme, but it's such a lovely model, what was I going to do? :) A couple of gaming buddies came up with this: Stampy the Deff Dread is actually a great big friendly lummox, and the rest of the army is actually trying to get away from the large mechanical retard that just wants to hug 'em and kiss 'em and call 'em Henry. ;)

BUILD/CONVERSION:
Stampy is straight from the box, with all weapon arms magnetised. It's not vivible in the picture, but there's a Space Marine shoulder pad on the base with a big Roman numeral "X" on it. This is because the Dread was a gift from Mrs Dumnorix to celebrate ten years of being together. Love you, honey!
The Trukk is actually a looted Land Speeder Storm, using bits from the Trukk, Boys, Nobs and Stormboys kits (and possibly others). I'm especially fond of the "wreckin' ball" Nob hanging from the side.

PAINTING:
Ork skin: Catachan Green, Devlan Mud Wash, Camo Green drybrush
Grot skin: Camo Green, Devlan Mud Wash
Metal: Boltgun Metal drybrush over black undercoat. There's also the occasional Tin Bitz detail. Devlan Mud wash.
Red metal: Overbrush metal with Mechrite Red, leaving plenty of scratches.
Brown stuff: Bestial Brown base, mostly with Devlan Mud Wash, but also several other washes and highlights as the mood struck me.
Red stuff: Bestial Brown highlighted with Mechrite Red.

BASING:
Fine gravel painted Bestial Brown, Bleached Bone drybrush. I hate doing bases, so kept it simple.

STILL TO DO:
All done!

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs: I'm well pleased with how things turned out this month. Also, being able to field a fully painted 1500 points army!
Lows: Not much! :)

And now... PICTURES

razormasticator
13-05-2010, 14:52
Well the gaunt's are lagging behind for me. But the good news is my Trygon is well on schedule so I will be able to meet this months deadline without much issue.

Great work from everyone in the tale so far. I will have comments for every entry this month once I get my stuff posted. As always thanks for the support guys!

give_me_a_d
16-05-2010, 19:59
Give_me_a_d does Eldar, and more Daemons

Units painted this month: Wraithguard (half way) 100pts, Epidemius 110pts
Current Army Sizes: Daemons 797pts; Eldar 707pts
Jokers: Eldar - 2 jokers and 1 for the Daemons.

Models are all standard, straight from the box

Painting: The Wraithguard are sort of the opposite of the Guardians so white bodies and red heads both will be done in the same way (heads are done. Warlock is has adeptus battlegrey cloak which is shaded with black and will be highlighted with codex grey. He will also get a white helmet like the guardians.

Epidemius was done in much the same way as all my other nurgle stuff with the exception of his body which started as tallern flesh and dry brushed and washed with rotting flesh and bleach bone and purple and red washes. He also had some tiny dots all over.

Basing: the usual.

Still To Do: finish the Wraithguard and paint the edge of Epidemius's base

Highs And Lows: Very pleased with Epidemius in the end but he was more work than I had anticipated. Also very pleased with the nut and bolt arrangement underneath that means I can take him apart for storage/transporting.

Pictures:
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm80/give_me_a_d/Daemons_Epidemius02.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm80/give_me_a_d/Eldar_Wraithguard01-1.jpg

Next time on TO40KP...
It'll be finishing the Wraithguard and a choice from:
1. Undivided Daemon Prince with the big axe
2. Tzeentch Daemon Prince - based on necron Deceiver
3. Herald of Khorne on Jugger - based on the WOC lord on jugger
4. The Masque
5. Screaming Flies of Nurgle - My idea of a nurgle version of screamers based on goblin spider riders
6. Furies - Based on bloodletters with harpy wings
7. A seemingly random bunch of stuff I have left over
Please vote

GomezAddams
18-05-2010, 23:28
Well I'm running out of real life time so I'm going to have to post an unfinished unit. Theres little bits to do (rosaries, the robes, and I want to redo the faces) but with lots of work on the horizon, I simply don't have time.

GOMEZ'S FRAKKING 4TH!

UNIT 1
Cannoness with book of st lucius and blessed weapon (81)
http://i45.tinypic.com/358c1s6.jpg

UNIT 2
7 Sisters of battle, 2 storm bolters, frag and krak (108)
http://i45.tinypic.com/2h57f4o.jpg

Sorry for the ropey pictures - you try taking pics of metallic models! I'll have a photo booth soon though.

TOTAL PAINTING FOR APRIL: 189pts

TOTAL ARMY SIZE: 1506pts out of a planned 1000pts.
(Now aiming for roughly 2000pts)

BACKGROUND/THEME:
A relief force of ordinary ground pounding guard, rescuing a local pdf regiment. The Daughters of Aeryn (the SOBs) are lending support.

BUILD/CONVERSION:
Non.
Oh I tilted the cannoness' pistol arm and sculpted a sleeve.

PAINTING:
GOLD! I originally planned to do these in NMM but I realised I'm an idiot. That and my first attempt was pretty ropey and I had the urge to get these done. Really happy with the face on the Cannoness as flesh is an area I've gotten lazy in - its nice to produce something good.

BASING
Cork bases with plasticard shapes.

STILL TO DO:
Loads. I need to define the armour a bit more with brown glaze, the rosaries, drill the bolters, redo the faces, the hair.. I might be able to finish before the 21st but I doubt it.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
HIGHS - The cannoness. I really do feel that shes one of the best models I've done recently
LOWS - Not having everything here. I do have a stack of other sisters and was planning to wow you all with a full priory of Sisters totalling a whopping 1000pts but they got left at home when I moved, so they'll be trotting along next month. Annoying really as I now have a stack of work, both RL and commission that needs to take priority (I was planning to joker the next two months, leaving me with project alejandro for the finale). Ahh well.

WHATS NEXT:
The rest of the sisters. I've also scrounged together a sentinel. I'm not even going to mention the tech guard as I've mentioned them every ******* month so far and nothings been done :D

daemonkin
19-05-2010, 09:06
Hey Gomez: If you fancy trying my gold technique in my post I found it simple to achieve a good realistic finish.

NMM is not for me. Looks fantastic but I just wouldn't have the patience or skill level.

D.

GomezAddams
19-05-2010, 18:15
Cheers bud, but it wouldnt work on these at all because of the curved surfaces. Besides they wouldn't look half as bling :D They do need toning down again though so back to it..

iPaint
19-05-2010, 18:28
Bad news everybody, I'll be withdrawing from the Tale this month. I don't have enough time in my summer schedule to paint as much as I'd like to any more, and I've been focusing on finishing some Ork pieces to help cover some of my expenses.

Good luck to everyone, and I hope to see some excellent finished armies here in the next couple months.

~iPaint

razormasticator
20-05-2010, 02:53
Razormasticators Hive Fleet Behemoth Splinter Fleet

Total Painting for May: 200

Total Army Size: 1743 points

Units:
1 Trygon

Painting:
I lavished a lot of detail on him and a lot of time. I was going to go with that splinter effect on the armor carapace back plates etc. but he would not match the rest of the army so I stuck with the standard approach.

Basing:
Same routine as the past few months.

Still to Do:
Dip, Dullcoat, Static Grass

Highs and Lows:

High:
Yet another MC joins the ranks.

Lows:
Not getting as much done as the gaunts as I wanted to. They are my focus for June however.

Next Month:

20 gaunts, Death Leaper maybe? I dunnoÖ there is a bunch of stuff I could paint. I will show you all whats on my desk.

Keep in mind in addition to whats showing in the red, that I have 2 more trygons, 1 footslogging Hive Tyrant, a Swarm Lord, about 32 Hormagaunts, 30 More Termigaunts, 2 Boxes of Gargoyles, about 12 more genestealers, 3-4 Hive Guard, 2 Tyrant Guard, 3 More Carnies, 1 Doom of Malanti and about 3 More Zoanthropes. And I donít even think thatís everything.

And now the Eye Candy...

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/colddawn71/DSC_0005-11.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/colddawn71/DSC_0007-6.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/colddawn71/DSC_0001-8.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/colddawn71/DSC_0004-6.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/colddawn71/DSC_0002-7.jpg

and some of whats on Deck...

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/colddawn71/DSC_0009-5.jpg

daemonkin
20-05-2010, 09:03
@Razor: Sweet work, the trygon is such a lovely model.

D.

Jonahmaul
20-05-2010, 10:42
@ Razor - that Trygon is awesome but that other stuff hurts my eyes so please get it painted like the rest of your stuff!!!

Will comment on everyone elses stuff soon

razormasticator
20-05-2010, 12:58
@ Razor - that Trygon is awesome but that other stuff hurts my eyes so please get it painted like the rest of your stuff!!!

Will comment on everyone elses stuff soon

Lol... the red does make the eyes bleed a bit. I just wanted to show everyone that I have been busy.

Jonahmaul
20-05-2010, 17:42
OK, so here's comments for you other folks (I will cling to some sort of membership to this tale for as long as possible!)

@ daemonkin - really nice stuff again & that venerable dread is awesome. really like that gold & may steal that myself for my land raider & termie mates!

@ misterboff - really loving that stompa & nice to see it completed. I think it could do with some weathering & battle damage though. Looking forward to seeing your dread next month

@ zis - very nice deamonettes again, want an army pic though!

@ Irondog - 'seeing what can be done with painting alone' is working VERY well for you! phenomenal stuff once again. How come you've decided just to do battle damage on your vehicles? I've only done it on my dread at the moment & also not sure whether to do some on the actual troops (not got that much painted yet so easy enough to do).

@ infelix - very nice stuff & congratulations on the landmark points

Chicken_Funk - very nice model but Lysander is a Imperial Fist!! (I'm not a fan of GW's you can use special characters in other armies, nothing to do with you!)

@ Dumnorix - loving the looted speeder & stampy is awesome, love the movement you've put in him. Congrats on the anniversary too

@ gime_me_a_d - excellent stuff on both the nurgle (new profile pic?!) & the eldar although I think they need basing to bring the white out nicely so more pics when that's done please :)

@ Gomezaddams - a nice start on the sisters & hope we get to see them when you've had the time to go back & give them some love (is that weird to say?!)!

razormasticator
20-05-2010, 17:59
I going to post my comments a day early because I will be out of town for the weekend and I don't want to miss out on dropping some love in this thread.

@ daemonkin - Awesome work here man. Way to put out some production, I love the green and the gold. Very, Very nice. The dread kicks ass!

@ misterboff - Awesome Orks. The Stompa is ace. Needs some rust and weathering though to appear fully orky.

@ zis - Yes those daemonettes are sexy and repulsive at the same time. Channeling their inner Naga apparently.

@ Irondog - Your fists are exceptional man!

@ infelix - Epic Chaos in the house. Good stuff there man.

Chicken_Funk - I like this color scheme alot.

@ Dumnorix - your orks are genious. A Flying Truck! and in Go Fasta Red!
Sweet, well done and very convincing.

@ gime_me_a_d - the nurgle model is repulsive *in a well painted way!
the Eldar are off to a good start, looking forwards to seeing them develop.

@ gomezaddams... nice nuns with guns. I like the gold and blue. I do agree that an ink wash or something would go a long way in providing some variation to the metals. Still great work man!

@ I-Paint, sad to see you drop. Your models are amazing and I always look forwards to your work. Good luck moving forwards.

SuavelyDunn
20-05-2010, 22:02
Evening!

Will be posting my entry tomorrow night, when I will get chance to photograph it!

Sorry to see a couple of painters fall out of the tale - you will be missed...

A.

GomezAddams
20-05-2010, 22:33
Much like the other rebels posting before the finish date, I too want to post comments, if only as a means of procrastination...

DAEMONKIN - Lovely as ever. Your right that gold is rather effective although I'd give that gem a wash or two of gloss varnish to tie the colors together. Also, what happened on the banner?

MISTERBOFF - Thats very very pretty. Well done on finishing such a mammoth task.

ZIS - The paintings lovely as every, nice and bright and full of energy although one question does come to mind... wheres the lower half...

INFELIX - I vaguely remember those models. Daemon engines of khorne of some description or other (help me out here). Clever idea though to use them as defilers.

CHICKENFUNK - Nice depictions. Have you converted his legs because he looks a lot more dynamic then standard terminators.

DUMNORIX - The missus said 'thats damn cool' and I agree. Very nifty kitbash of the LS Storm. Stampy looks rather gleeful as well.

GIVE_ME_A_D - Kudos on still being in with two armies at this late stage especially at the quality your putting them out. He does seem like he could be a hassle with his base and all those flesh tones and having to vary them to stop it looking samey. Looking forward to seeing the wraithguard finished.

IPAINT - Sad to see you go matey but these things happen. As I've said to others who've fallen by the way side be sure to keep us posted on when things get finished.

RAZORMASTICATOR - I'll be honest bud, I didn't think you'd make it this month what with posting so late last month but the trygons an impressive piece of work. Gomez would like to see that rather funky carnifex painted pretty please.Or those forgeworld rippers..

That seems to get quicker each month sadly, but as ever I'm glad to see people still ploughing on. If you've yet to post pics I'll comment later in the thread :)

And now onto the replies..

JONAHMAUL - Glad to see you still knocking around. I should have them all finished for next month, I just didn't want to leave it too late with all the work thats been thrown at me. Yes its a little bit weird dude :D

RAZORMASTICATOR - I've got some vallejo brown glaze I'll be tickling them with shortly (see Jonah, thats how to be weird).

Anyways with my new job as Waylands newsletter editor, my temp job, and my commissions, I'll be jokering next month. Simply got too much on. I might do a token entry or have the rest of the sisters painted but... don't count on it.

Zujara
20-05-2010, 23:30
Joker for me this month! Hopefully will get it back and finish my army next month!

misterboff
21-05-2010, 19:45
Comments from me:

@daemonkin: Lovely Dreadnought, Tactical squad and Titan. I really like the purity seals and red lights.

@zis: Interesting take on the fiends. Great paint job, and I think the claw/tentacle combo works very well.

@Irondog: Beautiful work as always. I love the way the highlighting/shading on the Powerfists really makes the fingers stand out. Impressive army shot too.

@infelix: Good to see a bit of Nurgle (my favourite of the Chaos Gods), and the Defiler proxies look cool too. I like the skull covered dozer blades.

@Chicken_Funk: A very good bit of kit-bashing there, and he looks great with your colour scheme.

@jpobrich: Shame about the Orks, but looking forward to the Dark Angels.

@Dumnorix: Your flying Truk looks awesome, as does Stampy and his many arms. I'm doing a Deff Dread this month, so I'll be having a good look at yours as I paint...

@give_me_a_d: Great work on Epidemius - I love the variety of colours in his Nurgling Palanquin. The Wraithguard look good so far too. As for next month, I vote for either Tzeentch Daemon Prince or Screaming Flies of Nurgle.

@GomezAddams: Great work this month. I'm loving the blue Bolters and huge bases.

@razormasticator: A Trygon sounds like a great way to get some points painted! Very impressive paint job on such a huge model.

As for me, I'm doing a Deff Dread this month, but only started painting on the 17th because I haven't felt very motivated lately. On the plus side, I've got the basecoat/wash done, and fully painted a Grot Rigger (see pic).

Keep up the good work everyone!

misterboff

BoyMilla
21-05-2010, 21:19
Boy Millaís Iyanden Spirit Host: April? 2010

Unit 1: Falcon Grav Tank
Cost: 130 POINTS

TOTAL PAINTING FOR march: 130 POINTS

TOTAL ARMY SIZE: 936 POINTS

BUILD/CONVERSION: None.

PAINTING: Iíll just list colours used, if anyone wants to know technique etc please just ask!
YELLOW: Sunburst Yellow, Skull White, Dark Flesh. I've changed my technique a little to make it a bit quicker.
GOLD: Burnished Gold, Devlan Mud.
BLUE: Regal Blue, UM Blue, SW Grey, Asurman Blue.
PURPLE: Liche Purple, VMC Fluorescent Pink, Skull White

BASING: N/A

STILL TO DO: Might add some more runes onto the hull, kill markings etc, not really decided yet.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs: Thoroughly enjoyed painting this model, it's the first vehicle I've painted in years. I also cleaned up/assembled the last models I need for 1500pts, fire dragons and striking scorpions, just need to paint more now!
Lows: So many details! Took longer than I thought, plus bit of a learning curve for me as well painting large areas.

PICS
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL92/9374494/17143183/387478225.jpg http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL92/9374494/17143183/387478224.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL92/9374494/17143183/387478223.jpg

NEXT MONTH: I may carry on with vehicles n do a wave serpent and try to finish off some of my half done units, dire avengers, guardians.

Comments to come soon.
BM

olean
21-05-2010, 22:27
Olean's classic genestealer chaos cult - April

die roll: 2

Another day, another dollop (of paint). Barely scraping by here...

TOTAL PAINTING FOR APRIL: 456 points (!) - 12 dameonettes of slaanesh that will count as tyranid raveners w/2 x scything talons. I decided to use them in this way because I wanted the daemons to be harder than "regular" troops in the army, and also the deep strike ability nicely mimics summoning, methinks.

TOTAL ARMY SIZE: 1509 POINTS

BACKGROUND/THEME: As I am going for a classic genestealer chaos cult based on the army list and showcase in UK WD 116, I am using almost all classic models from the late 80's. Rules-wise I am using Tyranids together with the Adversaries list from Codex Witch Hunters.

BUILD/CONVERSION: 12 Daemonettes from the early 90's. They are based with square bases as they will be the start of a Slaanesh army sometime in the future. I like these better than the newer models, even though they are less lithe and seductive. Ah, who am I kidding, I'm a grumpy old fart, and so nothing they bring out these days can hold a torch to the wonderful stuff of my childhood.

PAINTING:I went with washes over white undercoat on these as well. Ogryn Flesh for the flesh, looks nice but could perhaps have been paler - the undecoat was a bit coarse and so soaked up more of the wash than I hoped for, making it coat more evenly rather than pooling in the nooks. Black areas was Charadon Granite and mithril silver, then Badab black wash. Claws were my own mix of Lukas acrylic paints Hellrot with a bit of Macharius Orange mixed in - this gave a warm, rich red that covered like nothing I have ever seen before. Then i washed them with Devlan Mud. I heartily recommend the Lukas paints, they cover very well and dry with a matte finish.

BASING: I used my standard basing: glue on mixed sand, then I paint over this with a mix of PVA glue, water and black paint. When thorougly dry I then drybrush this with white. The rims are painted with Calthan Brown.

STILL TO DO: Some small detailing, mainly teeth and eyes.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs: I enjoyed painting these models, classic goodness.

Lows: The basing sand sunk into the open parts of the slots while drying, making some unsightly bumps. Will have to cover these up with static grass or somesuch.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o21/oahoen/DSC01709.jpg

The daemonettes

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o21/oahoen/DSC01712.jpg

The whole army so far - just needs a few beastmen and some limos and we're set!

give_me_a_d
22-05-2010, 19:54
Thought it was high time I did some comments and responses so here goes -

daemonkin - The venerable dread is very nice, the tac squad too. The wash on the tac suad banner could be better though, another coat would probably even it out. It probably looks fine in real life. The Reaver is lovely but I agree about the base, not sure what to suggest though.

misterboff - Really good to see the finished Stompa. The riggers are such characterful models. Thanks for your comments. It seems you'll be disappointed, at least this month.

zis - I really like seeing your particular take on daemons and this month is a nice example. Converting daemonettes is a great idea. I think the current GW models are too big so yours look about right to me.

Irondog - Up to the usual standards by the looks of things. The army really is coming together.

infelix - a really nice choice of models for these units, I particularly like the robot as the obliterator. And all painted nicely as well, I do like a nice bit of nurgle.

Chicken_Funk - Unfortunately I don't think the photo does this justice. Nice pose though.

jpobrich - the Dark Angels are looking good. I'd say get something on the banner, looks a bit plain and drill or paint the barrels in on the bolters and these will be great.

Dumnorix - I have to say that is an inspired choice for the trukk and the wrekkin ball is cool. Smart move doing all the different arms for the dread, time well spent. They are both painted nicely too.

GomezAddams - The cannoness is great and the squad is coming along. The best laid plans etc but I'm sure it'll work out in the end. Thanks for your praise, he did take a while, but actually it was the time working out how to do all the bits so they came together. There was a point when he was looking too brown. I think the banners need something else.

razormasticator - The trygon is cool, definitely something you wouldn't want to meet on a dark night, or any time come to that. I would second daemonkin on the rest. Also thanks for your comments. Glad you approve.

Jonahmaul - Many thanks. I think I might stick a close up of his face on as my avatar - good idea.

BoyMilla - An excellent job on the Falcon. I've been a bit daunted by vehicles for my eldar so haven't done any yet. I like the contrast in between the lines and the armour, I think it looks a lot warmer than if you had done the lines black for example.

olean - I have to say I think those daemonette models are a bit daft but you've painted them well. Also one of the few to remember to do an army shot so bonus point there I think.

I'm going to do the Khorne Herald as he needs the least work (well actually the Masque does but I have a Slaaneshi herald already) but the Tzeentch DP is proving popular so I may do him to finish this year off. With the Daemons 2nd wave in August it looks like I'll be doing Daemons next year as well.

iPaint
22-05-2010, 20:30
Well, to prove that I am still painting, just not for the Tale any more:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/boyz1.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/battlewagon4.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/trukk1.jpg

Everyone's work continues to look great.

~iPaint

SuavelyDunn
23-05-2010, 09:28
SuavelyDunns Ork Horde

APRIL 2010

Month 9: Battlewagon (2 Big Shootas, Reinforced Ram, 'Ard Case & Kill Kannon) - 180 points

TOTAL PAINTING FOR APRIL: 180 POINTS

Month 1: Unit of Trukk Boyz. 12 Ork Boyz armed with Choppa & Slugga and lead by a Nob with bosspole. He is armed with a Power Klaw & Slugga. Ride in a Trukk (Big Shoota & Red Paint Job) - 162 points

Month 2: Big Mek armed with Power Klaw (counts as), Kustom Force Field, 'eavy armour and Pet Attack Squig - 140 points

Month 3: Unit of Trukk Boyz. 12 Ork Boyz armed with Choppa & Slugga and lead by a Nob with bosspole. He is armed with a Power Klaw & Slugga. Ride in a Trukk (Big Shoota & Red Paint Job) - 162 points

Month 4: Unit of 3 Deffkoptas (armed with twin-linked Rokkit Launchas) - 135 points. Unit of 10 Grots with Runtherd (armed with Grot-prod) - 45 points

Month 5: Unit of Trukk Boyz. 12 Ork Boyz armed with Choppa & Slugga and lead by a Nob with bosspole. He is armed with a Power Klaw & Slugga. Ride in a Trukk (Big Shoota & Red Paint Job) - 162 points

Month 6: JOKER.

Month 7: Unit of Kommandos. 7 Boyz, including two burnas and lead by a Nob with Power Klaw - 135 points

Month 8: Unit of 9 Lootas and unit of 3 Killa Kans (Grotzooka, Eavy Shoota & Rokkit Launcher) - 270 points

Month 9: Battlewagon (2 Big Shootas, Reinforced Ram, 'Ard Case & Kill Kannon) - 180 points

TOTAL ARMY SIZE: 1,391 POINTS

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll37/SuavelyDunn/DSC_4021.jpg
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll37/SuavelyDunn/DSC_4022.jpg

BACKGROUND/THEME:
Lead by The Big Mek, the warband is made up of a core of Trukk Boyz and other "invenshuns". Never one to miss an opportunity, anything that has been shot (or found...) by the Boyz is looted.

BUILD/CONVERSION:
Leman Russ base, with widened tracks (thanks to IronDog for the inspiration) and added sponsons. I converted them prior to the grot sponsons from Forgeworld, so use them as normal Big Shootas.

PAINTING:
I use foundry paint system and armypainter dip. Go back & highlight the flesh. Nuff said.
I play against an Imp Guard player and have killed a Leman Russ (several times ;) ) so decided to loot it!
Also against UltraSmurfs, so painted the sponson armour looted from wrecked vehicle.

BASING:
Back 2 Base-IX bases and the orks are drilled & pinned to them. Add a bit of static grass and matt varnish and bob is your uncle.

STILL TO DO:
On these figures, nothing.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Highs: Finishing the model! I enjoyed converting the tank, cutting the tracks & rivets was a bit of a chore, but worth it.
Lows: None!

NEXT MONTH:
Mob 'o Nobs...

Have fun!

A.

Jonahmaul
25-05-2010, 14:07
@ Boymilla - that Falcon is awesome, especially getting the yellow so smooth over such a large miniature

@ olean - nice stuff & good to see some old school goodness

@ iPaint - very nice stuff, how did you do the weathering/mud as it looks great

@ SuavelyDunn - love that looted Russ, the colour scheme looks very old school & reminds me of when I first got into the hobby. The history behind it is great too, there's definately some sort of themed game there!

@ everyone - after some good ideas on the drop pod (McMullet won) I'm after some more suggestions. I'm entering a painting competition at my gaming club (entries not until July) & am going to enter my Assault Terminators in the squad category. I can't decide how to do the faces though. I know the Brazen Claws are an Iron Hand successor but I always see them as a spiritual succesor to the Ultramarines (they're half blue after all!) so not sure whether to do the faces half blue half red like my other marines or go Ultramarine style with white faces. What do people think?

PS I should hopefully be in next year's Tale with 1000 points of marines (at least) as I'm slowly getting some work done even though I had to drop out of the Tale this year :-(

sigur
26-05-2010, 00:19
Hear ye, Hear ye! I'm a herald sent out by Lord McMullet to let you know that he indeed is alive and well but is held ransom by Leopold V. of Austria.

He will return in time for next month's To40kP thread but won't be online until the 1st of June at the latest. He's still in the Tale and will post pictures of 150pts of Chaos Escorts as soon as possible.vb

Do not despair!

P.S.: Kudos to everyone who's still in at this point. ;) There's some great stuff going on in the Tale.

razormasticator
26-05-2010, 15:00
Thanks Sigur...

@ Boymilla... that falcon is a work of art my friend. Beautiful. I would love to see an army shot.

@ Olean the genestealer cult is looking handsome. nice army shot and a good representation with some old models.

@ I-paint... nice ork vehicles with some solid, solid weathering there.

@Suavely Dunn cool looted wagon. I love the grot gunners on the side. a very convincing touch.

infelix
27-05-2010, 14:25
NFELIX - I vaguely remember those models. Daemon engines of khorne of some description or other (help me out here). Clever idea though to use them as defilers.

I actually have no idea what they are called, can't remember it.

Good work everyone, we are getting some great looking armies done :)

daemonkin
27-05-2010, 14:26
I actually have no idea what they are called, can't remember it.:)

Believe they are called bloodreapers. lovely models.

D.

McMullet
28-05-2010, 17:39
Hello chaps! I'm sort of back, after a fashion, accessing the internet via some magical process that requires absolutely no RJ45 cables, and should be able to put some pictures up for you soon. Well done everyone who's still in, I look forward to seeing your pictures when they load (in 2017 at current rates).

McMullet
03-06-2010, 22:13
Sorry chaps, I'm way behind with the thread this month... Any chance one of you could post it up? I'm having to access warseer from my phone, which is a massive pain...

GomezAddams
03-06-2010, 22:16
Consider it done :)

Irondog
04-06-2010, 06:55
Hey gang,

Sorry for the delay in my comments, been a busy man lately. Wow, we are really down to the die-hards at this point. Since there's only about a dozen of us left, comments for everybody. First off, the comments:

daemonkin The Venerable Dreadnought is looking sweet. I especially like the gold trim around the edges of the armor plating and the lens effect you've got going. Very nice.

misterboff Nice Stompa. It's a brighter blue than I'm used to seeing on Deff Skullz, but it works. This could be just personal bias, but I feel it could use a bit of dirt and battle damage. I'm an Ork player from waaaaay back, and I'm always thinking their vehicles should look like all dirty and rusty.

zis Those fiends are way better than the GW models in my opinion, and the lava effect you have going on the bases really makes 'em pop. Nicely done.

infelix The Defiler 'counts as' are really cool. Nice job painting such dinky models.

Chicken_Funk The picture is a bit blurry but the model looks good. The red, white and black paint scheme you have is really striking.

jpobrich I really like the clean look of the Deathwing armor. I know these guys are probably still W.I.P., but I think they would benefit greatly from drilling the barrels on the storm bolters, or at least painting a black dot on them.

Dumnorix Nice Orky Vehicles. I love the red paint scheme and the dingy 'lived in' look. That looted Landspeeder Trukk is genius and I love the stompy stance on that Dread. Job's a good 'un.

give_me-a_d Epidemius looks absolutely disgusting... and I mean that in the best possible way :D

GomezAddams I'm liking the Sisters. I agree the armor and the faces both need some more definition. You could just about wash the whole mini in Devlan Mud or even a couple of washes of Gryphonne Sepia and it would tone down the armor and give it more definition as well as defining the faces at the same time. From there, a bit of highlighting onh the skin and I bet they'd be good to go.

razormasticator As always, some good looking bugs (or rather BUG!) you have going there. Trygons are pretty beastly models and yours is looking great. That's also quite the stack of gribblies you have awaiting the brush.

BoyMilla I always love seeing your stuff, man. Yellow can be a real pain in the butt, but yours looks stunning. Very smooth with some nice highlights. Great work.

olean Ahhhh, Classic Chaos. Nice addition to your stealer cult. Love the old school models.

iPaint Sorry to hear you're dropping out, but I know how it goes when you have too much on your plate. I'm running into the same issues, I may have a joker coming soon for the simple fact that I don't think I can get all my commission work done and still have time for my own stuff. Nice Orks. Love the mud caked Battlewagon.

SuavelyDunn Nice looted Russ. Glad you decided to go with the double-width tracks, they really make the model that much more menacing. The tracks on a stock Russ are too weedy in my opinion. I'm glad you went for the squashed grot as well, really makes the tank doesn't it? ;)

..and to everyone that commented on the Crimson Fists: Thanks, glad you like 'em.

@ Jonahmaul I only did the battle damage/weathering on the vehicles because they are large enough to make the effect look convincing. I've found that weathering infantry can often come across as just sloppy painting unless you're very careful.

Nuage
04-06-2010, 10:32
Hey guys !

There's still a lot of good work done here :)
I had to drop from the tale a couple of months ago, as work willed it...
But even if I wasn't able to stick to the schedule (and wasn't able to post the little I did), I never stopped either working on the army, or wanting to work on it :)

So... As I do not want to pollute this thread while not being a regular part of the Tale, I opened my own project log. You can see the result there : http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260105 :)

Thanks for everything, and sorry to have dropped like that,

Nuage.

McMullet
05-06-2010, 22:14
Consider it done :)
You are a true gent sah.