PDA

View Full Version : High Elves or Wood Elves (Starting an army)?

The Inevitable One
17-06-2010, 07:35
I am just about to start a Warhammer Fantasy army and was wondering if someone could help me answer some questions. I have narrowed it down to High Elves and Wood Elves. Both have the great aesthetics, but in terms of game play, which is better? I know they have their pros and cons but which ultimately comes out victorious? Since I am also starting an Eldar army I would like to find out which one is most like the Eldar.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Seth the Dark
17-06-2010, 07:40
High Elves win more often than Wood Elves but the Woodies do have a unique play style that might go out the window with eighth edition.

Vandelan
17-06-2010, 07:50
I always remembered hearing that Wood Elves were higher up on the tier list than High Elves.

Honestly, you shouldn't be looking for the more powerful army, but the one that suits your playstyle. If you prefer getting into close combat and striking first, I assume you know which army to pick. If you prefer moving around a lot without many penalties (if any at all) and shooting just as much, then I'm pretty sure you're bright enough to figure that one out.

Also neither one is really like Eldar considering how much the games differ, and I suggest you pick an army with a different playstyle in each game as playing the same type of army in both games can tend to get boring very quickly.

Ultimate Life Form
17-06-2010, 11:12
The two armies are really not comparable; as has been said wait for 8th and then get some test games in before you decide.

Spider-pope
17-06-2010, 14:50
Based on the small game of 8th edition i played this afternoon, High Elves have a couple of advantages.
Firstly because of their armywide always strike first rule they are going to get a leg up in the initiative based fighting order in 8th edition.

Secondly their ability to fight in an additional rank will come in handy too. The new rules mean that all units fight in two ranks, with an additional rank on top of that if spears and another rank if they outnumber their opponent. A large regiment of helf spearmen would receive another rank on top of those bonuses. Lothern Sea Guard look like they are going to come into their own too with the new shooting rules.

But rules aren't the only thing to look for in an army. Which army looks the best to you aesthetically? You're going to have to paint a whole bunch of them and no matter how good the rules may be if you despise painting white/green you're going to end up resenting your army choice somewhat.
Personally when i choose an army to collect i go by aesthetics first, rules second. Rules can and will change, often drastically, but the models you have purchased are going to remain the same.

Archeantus
17-06-2010, 14:54
I'm starting Wood Elves even though the 8th edition rumors are consistently indicate that WE are getting the shaft. I really like the lore and most of the models.
As far as game play goes, High Elves are well rounded and easier to play. Wood Elves require a bit more skill and finesse from what I have gathered.

Ultimate Life Form
17-06-2010, 18:46
And then there's still the fact that WE are bound to get an update eventually, though nothing confirmed yet.

dragonet111
17-06-2010, 18:52
Hi.

If I were you I would choose wood elfe because of the minis and the general look of the army, one of my favorite. I like the style of game play and the feeling of the army.