PDA

View Full Version : Who is using Titans in 40K?

Thylacine
20-03-2005, 04:25
Good to see the Portent back on the deck.

So the question is, just who is using Titans in 40K.

Are they being used with IG or with Marines, Imperial or Chaos or are they being used in a battlegroup?

What success are you having with them?

Thylacine.

boogle
20-03-2005, 04:29
me and my regular gaming opponent do from time to time (I have a Reaver and Warhound and he has a Phantom and Revenent), I am just waiting for him to finish off the Imperator Titan he bought last year

When they are fielded they often have Titan orders and don't often take on the ground troops

I'll post my friends home made rules when he sends me the revised set

Marsekay
20-03-2005, 04:53
me and my regular gaming opponent do from time to time (I have a Reaver and Warhound and he has a Phantom and Revenent), I am just waiting for him to finish off the Imperator Titan he bought last year

When they are fielded they often have Titan orders and don't often take on the ground troops

I'll post my friends home made rules when he sends me the revised set

Are these both armourcast titans you speak of? or forge world? or scratch built?

the_yuk
20-03-2005, 09:38
Me thinks they sound more like Epic titans, never played but all those titans couldnt be to good in a game of 40k unless you own a gameing table the size of a basketball court.

plasmadaemon
20-03-2005, 09:45
i once made a warhound titan using the madcat model from battletech, but the store staff didn't allow me to play with it :(

Inquisitor DreaxIV
20-03-2005, 09:53
I got a revenent titan for xmas.

I dont have an army for it but i wanted it soo bad cus its the coolest thing ive layed eyes on.

Soon it shall get and army to go with it. Probably in 2 years :p

salty
20-03-2005, 09:55
I am half-way through scratch building an Ork Stompa, mainly from copious amounts of card and bits of plastic/plasticard. I just made it using the VDR, it seems pretty fair:

14/14/12

Lumbering

1 Mega Titan Killer Kannon
2 Twin Linked Big Shootas
1 Warmachine CC weapon
1 short-barelled Big Shoota
1 Short-barelled twin-linked Big Shoota
1 Twin Linked Rokkit Launcha

I haven't had chance to use it yet, but if I did, I'd probably allow it to attack normal models; it would just be the only model in my army.

Salty :)

Brimstone
20-03-2005, 10:02
My Hierophant is currently under construction and I'm looking forward to chopping up Warhound titans into little pieces once it's ready.

philbrad2
20-03-2005, 10:10
Been on the receiving end of a Warhound once .... it wasn't purtty! :rolleyes:

:cool:

Inquisitor DreaxIV
20-03-2005, 10:11
My friend has a gargant for his orks and its made of random bitz and pieces. It works realy well against dreads and especially my GK army :p Its the size that matters but it also means you draw in ALOT of firepower

salty
20-03-2005, 10:17
Ah well, when you build something that sixe, you EXPECT alot of fire power coming your way :D

It currently stands at 450mm, without a head or legs (well, I'm actually going to give it trakks like the Epic Stompas, but I dunno how I'm going to make them...).

Dreachon
20-03-2005, 11:16
I have a chaos Warhound Titan and the Hierophant

plasmadaemon
20-03-2005, 11:20
I have a chaos Warhound Titan and the Hierophant

somone's lucky ;)

Sojourner
20-03-2005, 13:02
The Heirophant is...terrifying, even for a model. An actual creature that as big as the model could kill you easily, never mind the real thing.

I'd love to be able to use Titans. A Warhound squadron, ideally.

boogle
20-03-2005, 13:09
They are all Armorcast ones (my friend has 2 FW Warhounds as well, one finished and one still in the box), we can easily play on an 8x6 table in my friends garage

We have tried Titan Battles using my friends rules in epic scale as well and it is really cool, but trying to remember which titan has which wargear can be confusing

salty
20-03-2005, 14:46
How expensive are the armourcast models?

scottb
20-03-2005, 14:48
I have an Amorcast Phantom which i will be using just after easter. Hopefully i can get some piccys, should be fun (12000 points per side. :cool: )

wldside
20-03-2005, 23:10
How expensive are the armourcast models?

It depends on how louck you get on ebay ... Armourcast lost the rights to make the titan models (actually any 40k models) several years ago.

Now to get back on the subject, I've got an Armourcast Wrahound that I use from time to time with my marines, I even used it with my Grey Knights once. It can really be devastating depending on how big the game is.

Marsekay
21-03-2005, 03:16
My Hierophant is currently under construction and I'm looking forward to chopping up Warhound titans into little pieces once it's ready.

Are we going to be seeing this in the painting and decorating forum?
I have never heard of anybody with a Tyranid titan. hows it going for you?
I myself i think have been lucky. i have never once had any problems with FW stuff.

Brunificus
21-03-2005, 03:34
I've played against a gargant twice before, first game deep striking terminators with chainfists destroyed it, 2 game I tried the same thing but 2 really big units of burna boys made short work of a 12 man termi sqaud Master, Chappy, 10 Termis.

gLOBS
21-03-2005, 04:03
Well the guys here rent a room in the mall for a day and we bring out all manner of things. We bring all our fancy big stuff plus reg 40k stuff and throw down. We recycle all units for a few rounds then go till the end. My one friend is gunna bring an all flying force. Like a thunderhawk or 2 depending if he feels like putting together his 2nd, a maurader, and a couple of lightnings and crap.

Flame Boy
21-03-2005, 17:03
Wow... having a Marauder bomber squadron would be so much fun for the first two turns... Sadly since your opponent would end up with a ridiculous frown it would spoil it a bit, but it would be fun, I admit...

I do think the Marauder rules are a bit odd... some armour-piercing bombs would be nice. Maybe they could come up with more bomb types like they did with the optional shell rules? Then again, I doubt Marauders are ideal Titan hunters, so I'm trying to cram them into a role they aren't suited for... ;)

Konrad_Curze II
21-03-2005, 17:46
i would use a titan if i had one and i would gladly let someone use a titan if they had one at my store as it would be cool to see if i could bring one down, especially the revenant titan as that is a sweet as model

the_yuk
22-03-2005, 22:58
How much money do you people have, no offense bu im so jealous! i cant even afford a squad box at the moment.

Thylacine
25-03-2005, 00:20
All thanks for the replies, keep them coming as I think that Titans and other super heavy vehicles are overlooked in the game.

The Keegan my sons Warhound has only been used in one store game, 4' x 4' cityfight like table, it went down in the last turn (his opponents) however it made a mess of the Tournament ready Dark Eldar army that came up against it. It was the Warhounds first trip out and my son was new to the rules, he actually hid it first turn and did not fire a shot. As for Titans in an assault he was uncertain about the rules and did not try to stomp any enemy units. One drawback to using a Titan is the points cost 760 points cuts deep into a 2000 point game, the opposition as you would expect had lots of tooled up Dark Eldar.

I think that my son had a conflict with trying to use the Warhound as a separate unit and his SW's rather than using them both together, I remember that he was quite worried about the Warhound being assaulted, one way to take them out. I fixed this by tooling up a unit just to protect it.

He had so much fun with it that now I want one of my own I think that I would prefer a Reaver but would settle for a Warhound like his (Armorcast).

I see that some are using "house rules" is no one using the rules in IA? What do folks think of the IA rules? eg: Moves forward 12" then may turn up to 90 degrees. Has anyone worked out how to shoot into a Titans assault? How do you measure the minimum range, like 12" to 54"? I made up a decorative base for the Warhound but will make up one for gaming so it will look a bit like a big Dreadnought, the base ending just past the feet.

Thylacine

dindin
05-04-2005, 23:22
i have one but i mostly use it for a wraitlord for my eldar army cause most of the poeple i play dont want it used as a titan. but there are a few who don't mind and they seem to do pretty good for me in battle. so if you were thinking about getting then i would saw go for it. they're good and they look really cool!

salty
06-04-2005, 07:21
Pretty big Wraithlord if you ask me!!!

invivos
06-04-2005, 08:05
Got an Ork Stomper from epicast/armorcast :D It has been the centerpiece of a Sabotage mission by SM in one of our games. So far it hasnīt seen any real battle as I havenīt finished creating the VDR rules for it yet...
I also got a Tyranid biotitan very simelar to a Barbed Hierodule :)

Puffin Magician
06-04-2005, 08:51
I am half-way through scratch building an Ork Stompa ...It currently stands at 450mm
Salty that is well beyond the realm of Stompas. 18" high is taller than a Reaver Titan so it should be a Gargant if not a Great Gargant. Don't forget to give it some proper defences, ie: Power Fields.

I've played against a Gargant twice before, first game deep striking Terminators with chainfists destroyed it...
You either got incredibly lucky or people don't know how to properly VDR official vehicles like Gargants and Titans. A Gargant should have 8 Structure points and 4-6 Power Fields [Void Shields that can't be repaired], not really something that can be stabbed to death by a pair of chainfists in a couple turns. Check out the various editions of Epic to see what their stats should be like.

I am just waiting for him to finish off the Imperator Titan he bought last year.
And where did he get his hands on an Imperator for 40k? Is it that WIP one from Mike Biasi?

I do think the Marauder rules are a bit odd... some armour-piercing bombs would be nice.
The Marauder Bomber can be given up to 12 Heavy Bombs which are s10 barrage weapons. The Marauder Destroyer can be given 8 Hellstrike Rockets which are each similar in effect to a Vanquisher Cannon AT round. Don't forget the Bomber variant's nose armament of Lascannons.

I myself haven't used any Titans in a game yet as I haven't played any 40k since before I started building my Warhound. Not sure if I would've been able to use it anyway as my friends were already terrified at the thought of facing one in battle...

salty
06-04-2005, 09:29
I know, I know, I wasn't an Epic player until the last few days, so my Stompa was well above the average size. It has no been upgraded to Gargant status :D

Also, I don't think I wrote this before, but it had three power fields and four structure points (since upgraded to 5 structure points). When I get a decent digicam I will post a piccie of it, though its still WIP.

PlagueLord
06-04-2005, 14:47
A Gargant should have 8 Structure points and 4-6 Power Fields [Void Shields that can't be repaired], not really something that can be stabbed to death by a pair of chainfists in a couple turns.

Actually, you can rip through that without that much difficulty. Shields (of either type) don't work in melee, and the cripplingly severe Super-Heavy-Vehicle-Damage-Tables means that a single penetrating hit can potentially deal an infinite number of structure points (as long as you keep rolling high on damage). Every time I field a Reaver, (6 structure points) a pair of chainfists wreck it in one or two rounds. :(

Super heavy vehicles are a joke, especially if they are made with VDR. I bet if you removed the cascading damage from their damage tables they might actually be worth their points, but right now they are little more then a bucket of VPs.

salty
06-04-2005, 15:04
Where can I find these damage charts of which you speak? Other than in 2004's Chapter Approved.

Puffin Magician
06-04-2005, 15:11
Admittedly I'd forgot that shields don't work in Assaults. I guess it depends on your luck during a game because I've never had a wimply Chainfist chew through my Baneblade because of consecutive 6's. My tank has fended off a unit's worth of Meltabombs and still lived to blast them [and many of their friends] into dust. Remember too that when in combat with a Superheavy vehicle, each enemy model takes a Ws1, s6 hit with no saves [being stepped on, run over, etc].

You have the same chance of rolling a 6 as you do a 1, and a 1 on the damage table is a very good thing. The problem lies in the Superheavy combat rules and the fact that a low-cost unit led by a lone Veteran Sergeant [or alien equivalent] with a single weapon capable of harming a tank can walk up to a Titan and start pinching it's toes until it blows up and falls over. Anything that isn't a vehicle or Monstrous Creature shouldn't even be allowed to assault a Titan [something about charging towards a machine the size of a house that wants to kill you should make even Marines think twice]. Letting your opponent get into combat with your Reaver in the first place doesn't help either. :p

Where can I find these damage charts of which you speak? Other than in 2004's Chapter Approved.
The WD that contained the VDR when they were first released, or the Imperial Armour books.

salty
06-04-2005, 15:16
@Puffin Magician - I agree with that, all infantry should have to take a Ld check at -2 before assaulting anything bigger than a Baneblade, otherwise its just insane.

Unless they're fearless/stupid of course

salty
06-04-2005, 16:26
A pic of my WIP gargant

The boyz
06-04-2005, 17:55
That Gargant looks pretty cool Salty. So do the posters in the backround.

salty
06-04-2005, 17:57
Hehe, you know, I wondered how long it would be before someone said that :D
Thanks though!

poopoodindin
06-04-2005, 20:03
This may be random, but here's a pic of a Titan some guy started, but never finished.

http://members.cox.net/mbiasi/ArtWork/imperator.JPG

salty
06-04-2005, 21:02
Yup, I've seen that and its bloody amazing!

Unfortunately my scratchbuilding/convertin skills don't stretch that far :D

magos_mechanicus
04-10-2005, 10:06
I'm currently using a stompa as a looted Leman Russ, being as it's only little (relatively speaking, it's 7" tall.). It saves me all the hassle of VDRing it.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/magos_mechanicus/Stompa/red1.jpg

I haven't finished painting it yet...

Falkus
04-10-2005, 12:53
This may be random, but here's a pic of a Titan some guy started, but never finished.

HEll, that one's so big, it look like you could play a game ON it.

Puffin Magician
04-10-2005, 13:36
I'm currently using a stompa as a looted Leman Russ. It saves me all the hassle of VDRing it.
And you count the tank-sized cannon as a Heavy Bolter, yes? :eyebrows:

Great conversions like this are exactly why the VDR were invented, put it to good use!

Dodgy Ed
04-10-2005, 14:17
Personally I have a serious addiction to Armorcast, currently owning a Baneblade Shadowsword combo, a Warhound, a Reaver and a Phantom. still looking for a second Warhound to complete the scout battlegroup and also a second track unit so I can field both the Shadowsword and the Baneblade at once.

The only time everything has all been used was in the recent tank mega-battle when this was the force I ended up fielding http://photobucket.com/albums/a40/Dodgy_Ed/?action=view&current=Tanks_0281.jpg

Edit ah dammit the Phantom isn't in the pics

@Boogle I second the question as to where your friend acquired an Imperator titan,

magos_mechanicus
04-10-2005, 14:24
And you count the tank-sized cannon as a Heavy Bolter, yes? :eyebrows:

I use it as 3 heavy bolters (1 hull, 2 sponson-mounted), with grot riggers in the shoulderpad to mark how many are operational.

Puffin Magician
04-10-2005, 14:41
@Boogle I second the question as to where your friend acquired an Imperator titan
He got it from Mike Biasi, who built the WIP Imperator seen in this thread [and all over the 'net].

I use it as 3 heavy bolters, with grot riggers in the shoulderpad to mark how many are operational.
That's an excellent idea, and what I would've done.

Still, it's too big for a mere single-structure-point chassis. Use the VDR! *whip whip

gojira1
04-10-2005, 14:56
I regularly use Barbed Hiedorules in my games I play at the local store. Also I'm building an entire armour company as a ork stompa mob.

Wiseman
04-10-2005, 15:32
been looking at getting a titan, but the price tag keeps scaring me off, the thought of scartch building one did occur, but my modeling skills arnt that good

sigur
04-10-2005, 16:15
That's pretty damn impressive, Dodgy Ed. Shame that these models aren't painted. :eyebrows:

roachvan
04-10-2005, 17:12
I've built a couple and get to use them every 2 months or so.
Techmarine Titan pic 1 (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/roachvan/5e7a6561.jpg)
techmarine pic 2 (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/roachvan/83895c82.jpg)
Super heavy 1 (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/roachvan/PANA0002.jpg)
super heavy 2 (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/roachvan/PANA0003.jpg)
super heavy 3 (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/roachvan/PANA0015.jpg)

Dodgy Ed
04-10-2005, 17:35
@Sigur they're a Valhallan regiment, doesn't show up terribly well on the camera but they are all done to a basic gaming level with each one gradually getting done to a decent standard. :p

But this isn't a painting topic it's about who uses Titans so I apologise for dragging it of topic