PDA

View Full Version : 8th edition Dark Elves

majorberzerker
14-07-2010, 00:44
I was thinking of getting dark elves for 8th never played with them or against them just love the models; what do you guys think.

southpaw
14-07-2010, 00:49
Dark Elves are a great army to collect and play. If you have a local game store or club you should be able to set up a demo game with or against D.E. to try them out.

Dark Elves are a little fragile, but other than that they do not have much of a weakness. They can compete in all 4 phases of the game (move,magic, shooting, and close combat) which make them a great army to learn what 8th ed has to offer. I say go for it.

SideshowLucifer
14-07-2010, 03:22
The Dark Elves are fun because they are fairly decent in most of the game's phases, so it alows you to build a varied army or a very specialized one.

r3flexx
14-07-2010, 03:23
I'm a DE player and I gotta say, it's a lot of fun.

Like you said they have great looking models but they are also a very competitive army. You won't regret going with them.

Anyway if you do plan on going with the druchii they have a website for DE players only called druchii.net

that site has a huge painting section, army list section, and tactics section. Perfect for a dark elf beginner to give you a push in the right direction before you spend money on models. That's just an FYI though.

Good luck choosing.

majorberzerker
14-07-2010, 04:20
Question is are they competitive in 8th edition.

Don Zeko
14-07-2010, 04:25
Question is are they competitive in 8th edition.

They'll be fine. Dark Elves won't be as strong as they were in 7th, but that's probably a good thing, and we've still got plenty of good troops and nasty tricks. If you build an army completely out of the sub-optimal choices in the book you'll probably have trouble, but generally speaking the army is flexible enough that you shouldn't have trouble winning games with them in 8th.

r3flexx
14-07-2010, 08:19
In 7th there were 3 armies: DoC VC and DE. Now although the DE took a hit (a weaker hit compared to DoC and VC) they are still an amazing army. What happened was all of the mid tier armies balanced themselves out with the higher tier armies.

I think that in future tournaments you will be seeing winners from a lot more than 3 different armies.

DE HE WoC Empire Dwarves LM Skaven are all great competitive armies. Depending on how good of a general you are and how you make your army list will determine the victor, not what army you picked from the beginning.

So if you pick your DE and you make a tough list and play it correctly you have just as much of a chance as other armies.

From the changes I've seen, if any army has a slight advantage over others, it's a Slann LM army. Other than slight differences in army power it will all rely on you.

majorberzerker
14-07-2010, 08:27
Thanks for the help for choosing an 8th army. Now do u know any other sights to get tournament army lists.

tetrishermit
14-07-2010, 09:41
Hydras are even more op than they were in 7th thanks to close combat breath attacks and roflstomps.

chivalrous
14-07-2010, 11:33
Hydras are even more op than they were in 7th thanks to close combat breath attacks and roflstomps.

Don't forget though that they can only use that breath attack once now and they certainly can't take on a horde unit on their own.
with Strength of that breath being equal to their number of remaining wounds, expect the hydra to take the brunt of Artillery and magic in the first turn too, especially fire and metal magic.

My own army (or armies rather) represent factions; a Har Ganeth city guard list, heavy on Executioners and assassins with supporting units of Core troops and a Cauldron of blood (Sorceresses need not apply); A Raiding force which features mostly Dark Riders and Corsairs and bolt throwers although occasionally has a chariot or two; A Sorceress' bodyguard force led by a Sorceress Lord and at least one Sorceress Hero with large blocks of Spearmen and supported by Cold One Knights (nobles indebted to the Sorceress for past favours) and Black Guard (Malekith looks after his girls) and maybe an assassin or two if Malekith really likes this particular bride ;)

I expect that the Har Ganeth list is going to get trounced in this edition what with having little magic support and the main troops being Elves that strike last (no ASF banner, I refuse to put a frothing Hag in a unit of highly disciplined Executioners!)

The Sorceress list on the other hand is probably going to be quite sick in 8th, especially now I can take Shadow again (and avoid getting stuck with Crown of Taidron)

silks
14-07-2010, 11:38
One of the great things about Dark Elves is there's loads of different lists which are good - it's not just the internet list you need to win.

Get the models you like

cam.ron
14-07-2010, 16:19
I think DE could perform alot better than what people are anticipating I wouldn't be surprised if they are able to stay tier 1 or close to it. Our core is going to be able to stand up to most armies and although we are squishy and will take a lot of kills, we will certainly be able to dish them out as well, hatred is still awesome and with larger blocks CoB will be very tasty.
I think the most important thing that will keep DE up in the top armies is the fact that we can run a very powerful offensive magic list (sac dagger and PoD are amazing) as well as a strong magic defensive list (RoH still overpowered/underpriced).
It may not be as straight forward and easy as it was in 7th ed, but I think you will find that DE will perform very well this edition.
DE are a great army they are tonnes of fun the models look great (mostly) and they are competitive.
It is hard to tell exactly which armies will be "tier 1" this edition but I wouldn't rule out DE just yet.