PDA

View Full Version : a question about the daemon book...

Qemist
14-07-2010, 04:40
so why is there no lord level slaanesh special character in the daemons of chaos army book? theres a blood thirster (yea i know hes techincally undivided yadda yadda, hes still a blood thirster), theres a great unclean one and thers a lord of change... whys there no keeper of secrets?

there IS a hero level character for each god.

whyyyyyy?

Bodysnatcher
14-07-2010, 07:32
Slaanesh is a relatively young god so there are fewer infamous daemons aligned to him?

They should have had that KoS who likes slapping Elves about - N'Kari or something.

dragonet111
14-07-2010, 07:58
Yes N'kari seems obvious when I read my book I always wonder why there isn't a special Keeper of Secret.

No special Daemon Prince is also a let down for me but my biggest concern is I was waiting for the return of Amon Chakai that when Kairos came out it was a real dispapointment.

Shrapnelsmile
14-07-2010, 16:48
I was going to go with Daemons .... before I buy this book, is it ascertained that we actually cannot use a Keeper of Secrets? it happens to be the one Greater Demon that I own, unpainted.

loveless
14-07-2010, 17:00
Given N'kari's relatively prominent place in the background, it's a bit suprising that he didn't show up in the Daemon book...though I suppose that he - like Be'lakor - couldn't be justified in both 40K and Fantasy (not that it stopped them from creating the Soul Grinder...).

That said, the standard Keeper is pretty sweet rules-wise, so it's not all bad.

kaintxu
14-07-2010, 18:25
I know how Slanesh was created in 40k

Why is he younger in fantasy?

ooglatjama
14-07-2010, 18:27
I was going to go with Daemons .... before I buy this book, is it ascertained that we actually cannot use a Keeper of Secrets? it happens to be the one Greater Demon that I own, unpainted.

You can use keepers, there just isn't a named one.

Kalandros
14-07-2010, 18:31
You can use keepers, there just isn't a named one.

Depends at what point level, at 2000 pts, a Keeper can only have 50 pts of gift or become level 2, not much options for a viable combat monster.

So if you play 2500pts games+ then it starts to be worth it.

Shrapnelsmile
14-07-2010, 19:46
Depends at what point level, at 2000 pts, a Keeper can only have 50 pts of gift or become level 2, not much options for a viable combat monster.

So if you play 2500pts games+ then it starts to be worth it.

Is a D.P. the only other viable option then, at lower points?

Can I use the Slaanesh hero, or Epi at 2K?

DaemonReign
14-07-2010, 21:22
Is a D.P. the only other viable option then, at lower points?

Can I use the Slaanesh hero, or Epi at 2K?

Here's what I think, having a Big Daemon collection that I've played with Alot in the last two years.

1 - Forget about these Special Characters. I mean "Named Characters". Don't use them and try to get your opponents to scrap their as well - as Daemon-player though, I would refrain to use things like Skulltaker or The Masque just to avoid some of the worst accusations of fielding an OP army.

2 - Of course you take HERALDS (not Heroes) in smaller battles. The Slaanesh one is the cheapest one, has good CC stats and can be made quite nasty with "The Many Armed Monstrosity" upgrade. Khorne and Tzeentch heralds are good too - make sure you get a tzeentch herald on disc (or two) as soon as you can, and make sure they have the "Master of Sorcery" gift so that you can pick and choose from the new boosted lores of brb for 8th edition.

3 - Other than that, have fun.

loveless
14-07-2010, 21:28
Counterpoints:

1 - Forget about these Special Characters. I mean "Named Characters". Don't use them and try to get your opponents to scrap their as well - as Daemon-player though, I would refrain to use things like Skulltaker or The Masque just to avoid some of the worst accusations of fielding an OP army.

Named Characters are part of the game. Open one's arms wide or close one's eyes tight...it won't change things. Daemons are not quite the horrifying monstrosity they were in 7th edition - don't worry about a perceived reputation.

The most important lesson is, while remaining within the written rules, play the models you want to play. If you like Epidemius, use him. If you like the Masque, use her. Simple as that, assuming you pay the points and have the space in your character allotment ;)

2 - Of course you take HERALDS (not Heroes) in smaller battles.

Heralds are Hero choices in terms of army construction.

3 - Other than that, have fun.

Agreed. :)

kylek2235
14-07-2010, 22:14
I know how Slanesh was created in 40k

Why is he younger in fantasy?

He's the youngest because, literally, he's the youngest of GW's Gods. He's a replacement God brought on when Malal, the great God of Copyright Violations, travelled beyond the great boundary of the Warhammer universe to do paralegal work elsewhere in the multiverse.

The Original Barbershop Quartet went from Tzeentch, Malal, Nurgle and Khorne (from altos to base) to Slannesh, Tzeentch, Nurgle and Khorne.

Toddums
14-07-2010, 22:16
What was malal like???

R-Love
14-07-2010, 23:09
What was malal like???

Malal was the Anti-Chaos Chaos. He believed that the other gods were to orderly, and spent as much time fighting them and foiling their plots as anyone else's, and if I remember correctly, only ever had a single champion at a time, and no Daemons (not sure on that last one though). Kinda makes sense he was dropped.

Oh, And GW didn't own the IP :D

Toddums
19-07-2010, 10:01
Malal was the Anti-Chaos Chaos. He believed that the other gods were to orderly, and spent as much time fighting them and foiling their plots as anyone else's, and if I remember correctly, only ever had a single champion at a time, and no Daemons (not sure on that last one though). Kinda makes sense he was dropped.

Oh, And GW didn't own the IP :D

Interesting! Thanks man.

DaemonReign
19-07-2010, 16:40
Named Characters are part of the game.

Not in the group I play. I don't think either of us would even concider going back either. But I mean, sure, I see you're point and I guess I shouldn't be all bashing if people want to play the game "as intended" with the supposed spice of having Special Characters..

But we just came to the conclusion that Special Characters sabotaged more than they brought along. It was a balance issue. You usually get alot more stuff for those points with Special Characters compared to anything else in your List. And even that is a truth with modification - compare what you get with the Dwarf king on that throne of grudges to what you get with Skulltaker..

Anyways, everyone may do as they please of course.. I think the game is better without GW's "extra cheese" characters.

And yes Heralds are hero choices. I deserved that comment. I guess I just take such pride in my current favorite army that when I talk of Daemon heros - I say Heralds.:rolleyes:

Finally, I'm glad we agree that whichever way one goes with details it's the FUN that is the most important. And 8th Edition is bound to be more fun regardless of what army you're playing.