PDA

View Full Version : Magic : New Lores vs Existing Lores (Racial)

UDirtyRat
15-07-2010, 02:56
Would like to hear people's thoughts regarding the comparitive usefulness and power levels of the new BRB lores and the existing lores in the game i.e. chaos, dark, high, skaven, o&g, beasts etc.

I think these new lores trump the existing lores quite comfortably. I'd take a BRB lore over the existing ones wherever I am given a choice.

Any experiences people want to share of the new lores in action ? what is the feel of them so far ?

Ultimate Life Form
15-07-2010, 02:59
The Army Book Lores have the considerable advantage of being much easier to cast, so they're well suited for low level wizards in magic-light lists while still remaining competitive. Not everyone has a Slann you know.

Dokushin
15-07-2010, 03:29
An HE mage can cast spells after casting Flames of the Phoenix and keeping it in play. That's all I really have to add.

willowdark
15-07-2010, 03:51
I think it'd be interesting to see how a Drain Magic spam would work in 8th, forcing more dice to eat up the limit faster and threatening miscasts.

Dark Magic is fantastic in 8th because it attacks the major boosts to 8th. It has spells that target every model in the unit, Black Horror uses the large template. some spells deny armour saves and bladewind does 3d6 attacks. Chillwind negates shooting...

And all of it is easy to cast, especially with a Lvl4.

GirathonB
15-07-2010, 06:12
I have had great success with Dark Magic. Every spell is devastating and very easy to cast. Nothing requires more then an 11+. Soul Stealer, cast only on a 10+, is especially potent.

Lore of Tzeentch from WoC also seems really good to me, being able to cast Gateway much more easily now.

knightime98
15-07-2010, 07:43
Well, this is a different take on this particular subject.

In the latter part of 7th edition, I simply didn't take wizards hardly at all. If I did, it was for the sake of being a scroll caddy. Of course, I did occasionally take a Slann for my Lizardmen and that rocked. However, more on point. Essentially, you don't need any more than 1 caster really. The dice are pooled together and you get to use them as you see fit.
The only real reason to take 2 or more casters is for variety. You can now insure you get all spells in a lore if you have a wizard lord or the equivalent thereof and a level 2.
The face of magic has changed considerably.

As for the lores themselves - I have only played one game with 8th edition. I had one wizard as empire as a level 2. I had the, oh I forget the names of the spells but 1 and 6 plus the kindle innate ability. For his points, (Or any mage/wizard/ caster) it's like he's throwing handgrenades. How he doesn't drop one because he and his buddies next to him are going to bite the dust (S10, hits under a template anyone!).

I see the lores for some armies becoming easier to play now - especially O+G and Dark Elves. High Elves are a different animal with High Magic. You really need that sheltered item that allows for the first miscast to be ignored. All in all, magic has really really changed and for the betterment of the game itself. Wizards are powerful yet very dangerous to themselves at the same time! Some how, it makes sense and I'm ok with that!

Slann - Wow, just Wow.. This is a bitter pill to swallow - he only gets protection with that cupped hands of the old ones.. but that's a one shot deal. With all the dice flying from this guy.. It's a wonder if he'll last to the end of the game. If he does, I feel sorry for the opponent!

You know for the first time, I think fantasy now has new life ! It's really really exciting to see how magic has been somewhat streamlined and YET Powerful and dangerous at the same time! Rarely, do I say this part, Good Job - GW on this part of it! Well done.

HeroFox
15-07-2010, 08:05
Skaven magic is absolutely f'n brutal being so cheap to cast.

Isfimbur
15-07-2010, 08:05
Id say that lore of Necromancy/vampires is not a given for a vampire lord. Buffing your troops with lore of light or any other buffing lore might be more important then the ability to mass-spam IoN or van'hels. I hope we will see alot of diffrent and fun vamp lists in the future due to the new magic rules. Cos seriously, the standard meatgrinder, IoN spam, tar pit of a list we/they usually field gets quite dull in the long run id say.

Korraz
15-07-2010, 09:11
Every Vampire has IoN anyway, so...
Hm...Zombies with ASF-Waggon and Lore of Beasts-Buffs.

Galatan
15-07-2010, 09:22
Indeed. Although the vamp lore is still pretty ok (even easier to cast van hels! Jeeeej!). Vamps can always spam IoN if they want to, although expect to see a lot more vampires with forbidden lore. I'll just use cheap necro's to spam van hels, all the other spells I won't miss that bad :cool:.

EDIT: Also I think most racial lores were always good. My last game was against O&G and TBH little waaaagh! is still going strong.

Isfimbur
15-07-2010, 09:46
I did not know that about IoN and forbidden lore... interesting. Not that it matters mutch, you usually field more then 1 vamp becouse the whole 12"/vamp march thingy.

Hashulaman
15-07-2010, 10:34
Lore of life on a Tzeenthc Herald, LoC or Kairos has re broken the game for them in a different way, now they can bring back fallen models. Yes I read the spell twice and noowhere does it say Daemons cannot be affected by lore of life.

peterburstrom
15-07-2010, 11:14
Tomb Kings have an excellent magic phase these days. We get to throw more incantations than earlier (since we get more priests), we don't care about those power dice rolls other than our bounds, smiting with spear skeletons in 3 ranks or volley firing bowmen can actually work out, we can have 2 dispel scrolls (due to the enchanted item dispel scroll as well as the ordinary one). The only problem is that pesky death spell.

GodlessM
15-07-2010, 11:31
I'm liking that my Tzeentch Lvl 4 casts Gateway on a 10+ and so only really needs 3 dice to throw. Allows for more of other spells. I think the advantage army book lores have is they allow more spells to go off putting more pressure on the opponent.

Ultimate Life Form
15-07-2010, 11:33
And I'm looking forward to finally being able to cast The Dreaded Thirteenth Spell!!!

Oberon
15-07-2010, 11:48
I really like the new lores, as they are so much more versatile and work against any opponent. Cursing your enemy/buffing your own guys works always, it doesn't matter if the enemy is immune to fire or ITP, their stats are still all ones and so on. Lore of tz (my previous lore of choice, like for so many others) is still all about gateway&pandemonium. They are great spells yes, but still. I might return to lore of tz some day, but right now I'm having too much fun rolling several spells, different spells each turn depending on the situation, instead of every turn throwing as much dice as I could at gateway and the rest for flickering fire. If the opponent was ITP or didn't cast spells that much, those were the only spells worth having.