PDA

View Full Version : tournaments and true LOS coventions

Tlotsqi
15-07-2010, 17:02
We're having a big discussion among the tournaments organizers to know if we must use true LOS as they are in the BRB, or if we must adjust them.

The main points are:
*LOS across forests
the consensus seems to be "a unit is visible once in the forest, no LOS when it is behind"
*LOS across buildings, hills and other scenery of this kind
the consensus seems to be "a unit can't be seen if it is behind such stuffs", do not apply for small buildings or open buildings like stone circles, or wells"
The LOS blocking scenery are stuffs like big rocks, hills (of any height), houses or towers.
*LOS across units
a unit blocks LOS from the base to the top of a miniature.

It is supposed to make the arbitrators life easier.

What do you think about that, and will you apply some conventions of the same kind in your tournaments?

Kugruk
15-07-2010, 18:36
We're having a big discussion among the tournaments organizers to know if we must use true LOS as they are in the BRB, or if we must adjust them.

The main points are:
*LOS across forests
the consensus seems to be "a unit is visible once in the forest, no LOS when it is behind"
*LOS across buildings, hills and other scenery of this kind
the consensus seems to be "a unit can't be seen if it is behind such stuffs", do not apply for small buildings or open buildings like stone circles, or wells"
The LOS blocking scenery are stuffs like big rocks, hills (of any height), houses or towers.
*LOS across units
a unit blocks LOS from the base to the top of a miniature.

It is supposed to make the arbitrators life easier.

What do you think about that, and will you apply some conventions of the same kind in your tournaments?

I was under the impression that tournaments were a place where you were supposed to play the rules as they were...

chamelion 6
15-07-2010, 18:59
I don't play in tournaments so take my view with a grain of salt. But if you take appropriate terrain pieces and the arbitrators are familiar with them and the board set ups before hand, you shouldn't need any creative interpretations. Just play the rules as they are. If you're gonna start abstracting them you're making a simple situation complex and in that case you should dump the whole TLoS part of the book for a pre published house set of rules, possibly just pull the rules out of 7th.

It seems to me trying to "interpret" and abstract the existing set of rules is going to get you the worst of both systems. I know that's how it worked for us.

Witchblade
15-07-2010, 21:55
@ OP:

Our group plays with the same conventions, although many matters are dealt with on an ad hoc basis.