PDA

View Full Version : Charging to play?

Wolf 11x
15-07-2010, 21:41
Our LGS owner (supposedly a partner-level store, though she keeps nothing in stock) wants to charge players that don't buy their miniatures locally. We're a college town, so people tend to come and go.

30 US dollars for one day. :wtf:

Has anyone heard of anything similar?

Chucklemoney
15-07-2010, 22:00
I have heard of a store that charged for the use of the table . Only one though., well, and now the one you have mentioned.

Charax
15-07-2010, 22:04
It's going to be a logistical nightmare. For a start, is she going to be keeping track of who bought what? Is there a percentage of models that must be bought from the store? How long will these records be kept?

I can't see this lasting long

ICLRK625
15-07-2010, 22:06
That's insane, 30 dollars a day? I've HEARD of some stores charging around $5 for a 2 hour block or something similar (which although is similar in price and still ridiculous, allows for a more realistic time that you'll spend playing), but that's outrageous.

loveless
15-07-2010, 22:42
This is how home-gaming starts.

1)The LGS does something stupid, such as:
a. Charging people exorbitant sums to use the space, as no one is buying merchandise there (maybe offering a discount program would help people purchase there?)
b. Has an employee obviously cheat or try to force favorable (to him) house rules on the regulars (had that one happen...)
c. Throws out customers 2 hours before closing time as they walk in, because no one had been there all day and the owner wanted to go back to drinking beer and playing Magic (good job, LGS, you just lost over $500 from the group I brought in to buy new armies!)

2) Players scoff and try to reason with the LGS.

3) LGS stands firm.

4) Random Player says "Hey, listen, I've got room at my place to set up a table, let's just meet there."

5) LGS loses customers as the gaming group now has 0 reasons to buy anything from them.

----

Ways to help the LGS that should be favorable:
1) Suggest the owner sells snack food at a reasonable rate. Gamers like to eat, food is typically cheap to acquire and sell, and it would be a fairly common purchase.

2) Discount plan. LGS owners should reward loyalty. Use a punch card, have sales, create a benefit program ased on the amount purchased at the store, etc. Selling a product for face value and not having a massive stock is not going to work. I can get the same thing for the same price from GW Direct and have it delivered to my door if you don't have it in stock - and I can get it even cheaper from discounters.

Schmapdi
15-07-2010, 23:10
Good lord - one of my FLGS (the only really local one - now deceased) charged for tables, but it was a pittance, like a dollar an hour or something.

$30 though? Christ - you might as well hail a cab and play in the back of it for 2 hours.

Wolf 11x
15-07-2010, 23:43
Thanks for the laughs. :)

This is real. I was born and raised in this town, so I get a pass because I buy from her. However, she has recently figured out that she doesn't have to keep anything stocked on her shelves because she has tricked us into the habit of ordering "through" her. She places orders on Wednesdays and typically gets stuff in on Fridays. In recent years, I've moved almost exclusively to buying 2nd hand and ordering what I can't find directly from GW due to free S&H.

She hasn't said what or how much she expects. There are about a dozen people that play there. You'll only see about 6 people any given Saturday. I am fairly certain of which people the "fee" is supposed to force to buy.

We have a 6'x4' board at our house and are now hosting more games regularly.

Occulto
16-07-2010, 00:16
While exhorbitant in this case, I'm still amazed that some people buy all their stuff online yet still expect to use the facilities provided by their LGS without contributing monetarily.

ICLRK625
16-07-2010, 00:21
You should always pay where you play, but the owner shouldn't punish everybody (or anybody for that matter) for a couple of people. It might be better to just ask them if they understand that they're playing in a place of business, and that by undermining the purpose of the store, they're harming their ability to play there in both the short (kicking them out) and long term (store closes).

bigcheese76
16-07-2010, 00:22
Well, I have not heard of places charging to use the tables before. I am glad actually I have a board of my own at home. It means I no longer have a need to go to GW and if I do buy more, I can just order it from their site or a cheaper one.

Tavendale
16-07-2010, 01:49
I can totally understand where she's coming from.
Personally, were I in her shoes, I'd charge $2-$3 for a table for her non-buyers. Maybe a little more depending on how many tables are in the store/demand.

Pacorko
16-07-2010, 01:51
Well, her strategy is a bit senseless and rather desperate. She "tricked" you into ordering through her so she doesn't have to "waste space" while stocking the product you want...

Hmmm. She cuts her costs a bit, but looses potential impulse buys from persons that pass by and see something nifty they'd like to buy. It's her call, but not too silly an idea, all things considered. Besides she must really need that space to stock up on what she is selling in the store---comics, books, toys, per chance?

Then, it's a little low to expect to buy somewhere else, and then go on and use the facilities of a store you don't patronise at all She could address the fact directly with the guys that have such an inclination and tell them she won't allow that as it hurts her business. A potential "bad rep", yes... but those guys weren't customers anyway so they really have no business being there.

Finally, charging that much for a whole day is just too bad a move and the store will suffer from it as both groups of players (customers and non.customers) will leave the place never to return, not even for ocassional orders. That kills her GW-related business outright...

Which might be what she really wants. As the sales are few an far between and the players noisy and regular, I can see why she could want her space better occupied with revenue-generating activities or a bigger showroom for what is good business for her.

In Mexico, a guy who was a store manager came up with the idea of a club and the members had to pay the club fee plus the table use... I laughed at his face when he informed me so, as the lowlife didn't even bother to have the tables and scenery dusted on a MONTHLY basis. Oh, and this store had a huge mark-up as it was the only one stocking GW in those days of yore.

So, some further-milking ideas are quite stupid, really.

Wolf Scout Ewan
16-07-2010, 01:52
30 US for a table? Is the scenery painted by nubile virgins using liquid gold and made in a rapid prototyping machine using pictures of real places?

Only in america!

eriochrome
16-07-2010, 01:57
30 dollars does seem pretty steep. I could imagine a 10 dollar a month fee or a buy 10 dollars worth of stuff get a free table use in your book.

One of our local stores does something similar on the stocking plan but they give you 25% off retail when you order so you are doing pretty much as good as any mail order place that does not take advantage of international exchange differences.

Osbad
16-07-2010, 09:35
Sounds like she needs to think carefully about her business model.

Too many store owners believe they have sopme sort of divine entitlement to gamers' hard-earned money.

They believe they have the right to charge full retail value, simply because they have the inconvenience and cost of running a store.

Truth is no-one has any right to anything. Just as no customer has a right to expect free gaming space in their local store.

Anyone can buy for a discount off of the Warstore or Maelstrom or Wayland games. If all they want is their models and they are prepared to wait a few days for the stuff to be posted to them.

If a store is expecting to charge full retail price, then it has to offer more than that or what is the point of its existance?

As I see it a B&M store has three potentially key advantages over a webstore:

1/ you can browse the product and see it first hand before you buy;
2/ you can pick stuff up straight away and take it home right then - no wait for the post; and
3/ if there is space you can play with the stuff you bought.

If the store wants to tinker with any of those things by (say) not keeping much in stock and charging a lot for gaming space (although I wouldn't consider a small fee - say a 1 a game or something - to cover terrain and discourage timewasters), then seriously what are they offering you to justify their cut of the price?

If the owner hasn't got the inter-personal skills and business savvy to make their store work by selling those advantages, then simply put, they don't deserve to exist.

Several hard working entrepreneurs make good gamestores work. Dan at Myriad Games, and mikhaila with his chain. The guys at Maelstrom in the uK have an excellent B&M store as does Wayland Games. But they reallize they aren't charities with a right to expect gamers to buy from them at a disadvantage. Instead they offer several really good reasons to buy from them rather than on the internet. And also, leverage the advantages of the internet (not least of which is great word of mouth advertising!). Any game store that doesn't is on a downward spiral and will ultimately close. Not because their customers are nasty, but simply because the owner isn't smart, or hard-working enough to stay in business in the 21st century!

Not that any of this will help her, but it might help you feel less guilty when she folds and goes out of business, in a few months time, not doubt blaming the evil internet and ungrateful customers for her downfall.

colmarekblack
16-07-2010, 09:43
My lgs in Cardiff does this however he charges a small amount (55 per year) and there is a cheaper option to join the Viet Taff gaming group which is 40 a year (10 per quarter). It keeps Rob in business and makes sure there is enough money to get new scenery, pay heating bills, maintain tables etc. All you have to do is sign against your name when you enter.

It works for everyone.

marv335
16-07-2010, 10:03
I don't mind paying to play, I've been to many shops/clubs who did this, and to be honest most of them were better for it.

Too many store owners believe they have some sort of divine entitlement to gamers' hard-earned money.

This is true, however what is more true is the second point;

Truth is no-one has any right to anything. Just as no customer has a right to expect free gaming space in their local store.

Too many gamers expect far too much, and have an overblown sense of their own entitlement.
It's entirely reasonable for a store owner to charge for table use.

Brother Loki
16-07-2010, 10:19
When I had an LGS we thought long and hard about charging for gaming space. We had a couple of tables on the ground floor and then a larger gaming room upstairs. In the end we went for a mixed system. If it was within normal shopping hours open gaming was free - you could come in and use the tables on the shop floor. If you wanted to disappear upstairs we might charge you a pound or two per person, since there would be electricity usage etc we wouldn't otherwise have on weekdays. If however we had an organised play event (mainly CCG tournaments and leagues and living Greyhawk weekends) we'd charge for those, and they always took priority over open gaming. We did a lot of these - pretty much every saturday and sunday.

We also used to have game nights from 7-11 most nights, often with some form of organised play (vampire larp on mondays, wargames on tuesdays, CCGs on wednesdays, rpgs on thursdays and friday night magic). We'd charge for these. Typically 1-2 per person if there wasn't an organised event. Tournaments and leagues would be more - typically 3, or 7.50 for a booster draft or similar, and would usually have small prizes. People generally didn't begrudge paying a small sum out of hours to cover the cost of having a staff member stay into the evening.

We also sold drinks and snacks, and these would often generate more income than the actual entry fees.

Often we wouldn't really cover our costs, and sometimes wouldn't sell any actual product on these nights, but it kept people gaming, and folks would come in to buy stuff earlier in the week to have it for game nights. Wednesdays was the exception as our new releases would come in then, so wednesday games night was our busiest weekday opening time by far - sometimes better than saturdays.

It sounds like your LGS owner needs to look at other options than just charging a flat fee. She needs to offer something in return for the money. Tournaments and leagues are a big draw, and provided some of it goes as prizes (typically in the form of gift vouchers to be spent in the store) people are happy to pay for gaming.

Havock
16-07-2010, 14:02
Often we wouldn't really cover our costs, and sometimes wouldn't sell any actual product on these nights, but it kept people gaming, and folks would come in to buy stuff earlier in the week to have it for game nights. Wednesdays was the exception as our new releases would come in then, so wednesday games night was our busiest weekday opening time by far - sometimes better than saturdays.

This. People might not need something now, but if you keep the hobby -whichever end of the gaming spectrum that is- alive they'll at the very least take a look at new releases in your store. Because you -as a store- supplied him with a (friendly) gaming environment.

Erwos
16-07-2010, 14:09
She needs to sell drinks and snacks, if she doesn't already. They're a huge moneymaker at every shop I've ever seen. If she has to, ban outside food.

I will admit, I buy my miniatures second-hand and play at the FLGS. But, I also make a point of buying my hobby supplies and cheaper board games at the FLGS whenever possible, and I'm assuming these are reasonably high margin items for them. So, it might not be as good as buying my army there, but then again, no other retailer is getting that business anyways.

I would definitely feel weird if I just played there and bought nothing at all from them.

That said, the local FLGS in my college town went out of business went they pissed off the local college gaming group by pulling stunts like this. So she should probably think very hard about what the PR cost of this, because it can come back and bite her.

ZeroTwentythree
16-07-2010, 14:31
1)The LGS does something stupid, such as:

Add to that list:

d. Doesn't let customers use their restroom.
e. Won't stock items that the customer wants to buy, and complain that the same customers won't buy the stock they've already got.

While exhorbitant in this case, I'm still amazed that some people buy all their stuff online yet still expect to use the facilities provided by their LGS without contributing monetarily.

I agree. And that's a two way street. As with some of the complaints above, the store owner should respect their customers if they want business in return. No one "owes" any store their business, just as stores don't "owe" customers a gaming table or other amenities. But a little bit of mutual respect can go a long way for all parties involved.

Wolf 11x
16-07-2010, 14:33
Interesting thoughts everyone.

For now, we're going to wait and see what happens. I buy ~40% of my stuff there (at full retail cost). If she attempts to charge me at this point, I'll simply leave. I can get almost all items NiB for 30% off online.

She used to sell drinks, but never had any form of food. Eating in the store is allowed, but you'd better clean up or we all get a stern talking to.

The store itself is in bad shape. I haven't seen a new terrain piece added by the store itself in the 8 years I've been going there. The gamers themselves typically "add terrain to the pile." The facilities are pretty run down too. She typically doesn't even run the A/C... we're in Texas. You do the math.

At this point, we go because that's simply where we have for years. It's really the only place to run into gamers either.

Osbad
16-07-2010, 14:51
At this point, we go because that's simply where we have for years. It's really the only place to run into gamers either.

So why don't you and your friends find somewhere nicer to play? Sounds a bit grim to me! I know its pretty hot in Texas this time of year, but from what you've said you could play under a gazebo in someone's back yard and it would be more fun than in an A/C-less store with a grumpy owner and no new terrain! Gamer inertia's a big thing I know, but if someone was prepared to put in a little effort it shouldn't be too hard to find somewhere you can rack up and play once or twice a week?

Cervantes3773
16-07-2010, 16:37
I tend to buy where I play, except when the prices are insulting (one owner charges $10 more than MSRP for some models for no explicable reason). That said, there's too much competition around my area to require people to pay you for use of your tables (at least for me). I can think of two stores and 3 houses where I can play within 15 minutes of me and another store and house within 30 minutes.

I'm very price sensitive right now, you've got to convince me to buy from you.

Now, if a place had GREAT (and I mean frikkin' GREAT) terrain, I might pay $5 to $10 to use a table. But the table would need set up area (ie a 4x4 play area would actually be a 4x8 table so the players have set up area) and relative peace and quiet - I won't pay to be disturbed by curious 13 year olds...

Wolf 11x
16-07-2010, 16:50
So why don't you and your friends find somewhere nicer to play? Sounds a bit grim to me! I know its pretty hot in Texas this time of year, but from what you've said you could play under a gazebo in someone's back yard and it would be more fun than in an A/C-less store with a grumpy owner and no new terrain! Gamer inertia's a big thing I know, but if someone was prepared to put in a little effort it shouldn't be too hard to find somewhere you can rack up and play once or twice a week?

Our house works well enough and we have good terrain. Our board is only 6x4 though and we can really only accommodate about 2 more people. It's not ideal for the 6-8 that might show up at the store. Also, once you get into the game, it's not so bad. :p

SharpSilver
16-07-2010, 17:03
Extortionate that $30 is.

I would suggest you boycott the Store until the store-owner sees sense. Or perphaps pool resources and fund between you and your friends another board or two and some terrain.

Narf
16-07-2010, 18:02
hmmmm i find some stuff in this thread worrying.

More because some people seem to have an idea that they are entitled to use someone else's business as there hang out, have you guys ever thought that maybe this shop owner doesnt want x number of possibly scruffy kids in her shop when she's trying to get new people in there? that maybe she cant afford to do it up, as the money she gets only just covers stuff? that you are a hinderance to her business, and means she has to be in the shop just to cater to your needs. all things like this may be likely.

I'm in the Uk and my local club charges 2.00 gbp per night to go and game there, its in a pub, has room for 40 6"x4" tables and is open 7 while midnight for this once a week, and you know what its packed out every week.

The club itself only charges if you play a game, if your watching or wondering about no charge, they do not pay for the room, but all money is accounted for via a committee, and then used for prizes and new scenery, the club is supported by GW (but not in there club group, just by the local staff and managers) and by several local shops.

This means people pay money to go and pay somewhere, and then the shops also still get footfall traffic from this club, the club has alot of scenery, and alot of other stuff, all paid for by the whole community.

Put this next to a shop owner who has to deal with people being sat in their shop, not buying owt, and then gets remarked about becuase these people who only just keep them ticking over think its a bit cheeky to ask for money to help possibly improve there game playing experience with scenery or improvements to the venue.

sorry rant over, but hope people can see my point, basically, yes its a bit cheeky asking for $30 to game, but if this is for say 6 tables, between 12 of you, over a 3-6 hour period, really its not bad.

If its per table, then have words and explain supply and demand....

Commodus Leitdorf
17-07-2010, 16:13
Actually this is a pretty interesting discussion. I have been speaking to the owner of my LGS when I pre-ordered my copy of 8th off him. Alot of the guys in my gaming group bought their book online while I believe I'm the only one who bought local.

Anyway we spoke on how it's hard to keep a LGS store open, and have a place for players to play, when everyone buys online (and encourages others to buy online as well) and only go to shops to use the place to play. I've always bought local and suport my store unless it's a really OOP miniature from Ebay or a rediculously good army deal.

I agreed with alot of his points and I understand why a LGS would start to charge to use the space to game...30 bucks though? Jeez, that seems silly. If my LGS asked me to pay to play I honestly wouldn't have a problem with it (though not 30 bucks...I'd rather build a table at my place). In my area the store owners work together to make big tournaments and the like for us to enjoy and I certainly don't want to see any of them close.

AndrewGPaul
17-07-2010, 16:23
Add to that list:

d. Doesn't let customers use their restroom.

I've met the general public. That one seems perfectly reasonable.

IJW
17-07-2010, 17:53
I've seen those restrooms - you wouldn't want to use some of them... ;)

Duke Georgal
18-07-2010, 06:21
30 US dollars for one day. Has anyone heard of anything similar?

I have heard of it, but never seen it. I frankly think the $30.00 figure was made up to keep certain people out rather than gain monetary income through table rental. The owner had to know the market would not bear such a charge.

My FLGS charged for tables, but it was a pittance, like a dollar an hour or something.

This sounds like a price used just to keep the riff raff out. A nominal fee to keep the freebie hang outers from the store.

I'm still amazed that some people buy all their stuff online yet still expect to use the facilities provided by their LGS without contributing monetarily.

Me too. That is unexcusable.

Too many store owners believe they have sopme sort of divine entitlement to gamers' hard-earned money. They believe they have the right to charge full retail value, simply because they have the inconvenience and cost of running a store.

You can't be serious, or you have no idea what it takes to make a profitable business. I would never attempt a games store because full retail is not high enough. 50% markup, that is a joke. I get 155% markup on everything I sell, and some items run into the thousands of dollars. Everytime I have tried to "run the numbers" on an FLGS I come up with something like $200.00/hour gross sales just to maintain a store with one employee and provide an income similar to what I enjoy now. Have you ever seen a cash register in a game store ring in those numbers every hour of every day?

She needs to sell drinks and snacks. If she has to, ban outside food.

I do not go into stores that ban outside food. Dark Side Games in Sarasota gets ZERO business from me because of this policy. I like my Starbuck's Coffee, Premium Pizzarias, Gormet Chinese, and Boston Market meals. This is a very risky policy.

I've seen those restrooms - you wouldn't want to use some of them.

I have only seen one game store that had an unacceptable restroom.

Sleazy
22-07-2010, 22:20
hmmmm i find some stuff in this thread worrying.

More because some people seem to have an idea that they are entitled to use someone else's business as there hang out, have you guys ever thought that maybe this shop owner doesnt want x number of possibly scruffy kids in her shop when she's trying to get new people in there? that maybe she cant afford to do it up, as the money she gets only just covers stuff? that you are a hinderance to her business, and means she has to be in the shop just to cater to your needs. all things like this may be likely.

I'm in the Uk and my local club charges 2.00 gbp per night to go and game there, its in a pub, has room for 40 6"x4" tables and is open 7 while midnight for this once a week, and you know what its packed out every week.

The club itself only charges if you play a game, if your watching or wondering about no charge, they do not pay for the room, but all money is accounted for via a committee, and then used for prizes and new scenery, the club is supported by GW (but not in there club group, just by the local staff and managers) and by several local shops.

This means people pay money to go and pay somewhere, and then the shops also still get footfall traffic from this club, the club has alot of scenery, and alot of other stuff, all paid for by the whole community.

Put this next to a shop owner who has to deal with people being sat in their shop, not buying owt, and then gets remarked about becuase these people who only just keep them ticking over think its a bit cheeky to ask for money to help possibly improve there game playing experience with scenery or improvements to the venue.

sorry rant over, but hope people can see my point, basically, yes its a bit cheeky asking for $30 to game, but if this is for say 6 tables, between 12 of you, over a 3-6 hour period, really its not bad.

If its per table, then have words and explain supply and demand....

that sounds great! 40 tables in a pub! Can you have a pint whilst playing? I want that round here, would gladly pay a few quid.

koran
23-07-2010, 01:27
I have to be honest, with the recent price rise GW stores have been priced out of my range when there is a 30% discount store a 30min journey away.

Having said that I would be more than happy to pay a fee to use the tables in my local GW store (well if it was reasonable, say a few pounds per game). This may sound strange that I wouldn't be willing to pay the extra for my "toys" but would be to use their tables. Im not going to get into a rant about how much more things cost at GW because I dont think that actually comes into it.

What is important is the fact that my store has generally horrible terrain and not enough of it to play games with the amount of scenery suggested in the rule book. For an actual games workshop store I think this is ridiculous.

SharpSilver
23-07-2010, 01:42
I should clarify. I am completely in defence of people who charge an understandable fee for entry/use, but 20 or $30 USD? That's bonkers. It's not only putting off people coming to the store, it'll damage the store-owners income as well, and reputation in the area.

People will only go where they feel it's fair or free. Not to a store which is charging outlandish prices for people to play on it's property.

Like I said. Boycott the store until the store-owner realises she can't continue that policy and either removes of (which I don't think she should do) or lowers the price to a reasonable level)

If she is stubborn and doesn't reduce the entry fee, then pool resources and build your own board, and save up funds for some terrain, and bobs your uncle.

Osbad
23-07-2010, 15:39
You can't be serious, or you have no idea what it takes to make a profitable business. I would never attempt a games store because full retail is not high enough. 50% markup, that is a joke. I get 155% markup on everything I sell, and some items run into the thousands of dollars. Everytime I have tried to "run the numbers" on an FLGS I come up with something like $200.00/hour gross sales just to maintain a store with one employee and provide an income similar to what I enjoy now. Have you ever seen a cash register in a game store ring in those numbers every hour of every day?

Oh, believe me, I have every idea what it takes to make a profitable business. I've been a director of one for the last 8 years, and we have seen turnover grow by 57% and our retained profit grow by 482% over that period. I also have an Economics degree and am a Chartered Accountant. The point I was making, but you failed to understand was that no one has a right to run a profitable business. They have a right to do what they want, but market conditions determine whether they make a profit, and that depends on whether they are supplying something people want at a price they are prepared to pay. Fundamental law of economics. They can sell and charge what they want, but there's no law at work that makes it a necessary follow through that they have a right to earn a profit. Not if they make the wrong business decisions.

From what you say, you have made the right decisions in your own line of business. However in my life I have walked through too many sets of doors into game stores that simply do not deserve to exist as they bring nothing to the party.

Think about this. All the basic retailer is doing is buying something that someone else has produced and is selling it to someone else that wants it. They are not adding any VALUE to the product other than holding it in a convenient location so that people can get hold of it. In the day of the internet, there are more efficient and cheaper ways of buying that service, which in strict capitalist terms are therefore more deserving of customers' money.

Unless someone adds value to a process they have no right, in a free economy to expect to earn a profit for their services. Simple as.

A game store that, therefore, only sells stuff and adds no greater value than that, simply has no "right" to exist, all things being equal. If someone outcompetes them by providing a cheaper or better service, they are the one that deserves to prosper, not the inefficient business.

Now, a game store that adds value by putting on tournaments and such, then that has a "right to exist" because it is actually providing a service to customers.

Of course this is no guarantee of profit. Local market conditions will determine that aspect, but that's a whole different topic.

The bottom line is that in the age of eBay and the internet in general, it has provided such an efficient method of information transfer, that more traditional means of information transfer (such as the information of telling a producer you want what they produce and are prepared to pay for it) are simply obsolete unless they can offer a valuable service that online sources cannot.

Wolf 11x
23-07-2010, 16:36
As a business student myself (although MIS), great read. :)

Brimweave
23-07-2010, 16:44
Our local indie shop charges 4 for playing on vets night on fridays but that also gives you play during saturday and sunday. It's well worth it though as you get better quality of tables, players and facilities than in a GW shop. Also the parking is free which your'd normally pay if you want to play at a GW so it is easily better. 30 is well too high though.

erion
25-07-2010, 11:22
Our FLGS has a room with a door that you can pay to Use ($3/hr). It has a much higher-quality table on which to play, a minifridge to store your drinks/snacks, and shelves full of custom-built terrain to use in your games. Getting a couple of friends together to play a game and splitting the cost for a 4-6 hour session is well worth the cost for the simple ability to close the frakkin' door and keep out the dregs of gaming society who can't seem to prevent themselves from bombarding you with inane comments while you're trying to enjoy a game.

Put paying to play in a common gaming room? no thanks.

For what it's worth, this shop isn't doing the retail end of things so well. The owner has morphed his stocking policy to "I can have that for you tomorrow" for all but the most commonly purchased items. He's missing out on a lot of impulse purchases, and you can't expect to go into the shop when something is released and get the new releases (often he only orders what people have paid for in advance) but he throws great events.