PDA

View Full Version : a couple (probably idle) fantasy questions

carldooley
15-07-2010, 23:00
Allow me to preface this by saying that I play 40k exclusively right now, and regardless of these questions, I am unlikely to dip back into WHFB. I am asking because the 2 locals that I play against also have fantasy armies, and I miss out on some of their game nights. With that out of the way:
1. Are there any armies out there that depend almost exclusively on skirmishers, as opposed to ranked formations? or skirmishers that can 'dress ranks' and rank up for combat?
2. If I go with skirmishers, what am I losing against ranked formations?
3. Are there any skirmish armies that have more 'solid' models than necrons or skeletons? I hate putting together models that can 'bend in the breeze'.

Ultimate Life Form
15-07-2010, 23:32
1. Wood Elves used to rely fairly heavily on Skirmishers, though that may change soon in the light of the new rules. It has yet to be seen how they'll turn out, but rank and file isn't their game.

2. You mainly lose Combat resolution. Blocks start out with up to 4 static combat res, 5 if they get the charge. That means most skirmishers have to cause 4-5 casualties before everything else to even start thinking about winning combat all the while the opponent makes kills back. Even if you win the enemy is likely to be steadfast so your chances of breaking them aren't great.
Skirmishers can never be steadfast under normal circumstances, but in woods they turn the tables and are always steadfast while blocks lose it.
You cannot disrupt ranks with Skirmishers, meaning a flank charge is not that much more dangerous than a front charge, though it still helps, while a full-grown block in the flank is likely to break the enemy.

3. Full-fledged Skirmish armies are actually a rare breed, and WE seem to have to rethink their strategy quite a bit, and their models are all wiry and lithe. Lizardmen can go Skirmish-heavy with Skinks, but it's not the strongest (but certainly the most annoying!) build. I fear I can't really help you there.

mrtn
16-07-2010, 00:19
WFB 8th ed is designed to be a rank and file game, and not a skirmish game. You seem to want to use a round bit in a square hole.

carldooley
16-07-2010, 00:41
WFB 8th ed is designed to be a rank and file game, and not a skirmish game. You seem to want to use a round bit in a square hole.

Yah well, I was introduced to fantasy in 7th, so I'm a bit out of date!