PDA

View Full Version : Empire Demigryph Knights

RanaldLoec
16-07-2010, 15:53
Ok guys let's get one thing clear this is nothing but wish listing.

In the fluff section of the new rule book there are 2 mentions of empire knights mounted on flying Demigryphs.

These are found on pg 173 just to the left of a picture of KF on deatclaw.

And pg 182 the last sentance in the knightly orders.

Ok I don't expect GW to ever create rules or models for empire knights on Demigryphs but I'm so struck at the awesomeness that I'm planning on modelling some and creating some rules for them.

Think bret Pegasus knights, but the empire knights are a bit worse and the mount in this case the demigryph a bit better.

The other thing is does anyone know where I can get smaller scale griffon type models!

Anyway that's my little brainstorming done.

Please note I would be very surprised if GW did anything like this for empire and I am not saying they ever will this is just pure wish listing inspired by the new fluff.

Damocles8
16-07-2010, 15:57
with the increasing mention of naval warfare I'd expect to see something along those lines too

The SkaerKrow
16-07-2010, 16:20
You might be able to get away with using the White Lion Chariot Lions as a base, kitbased with either a plastic replica of an Eagle or a Great Eagle model (though the latter option is almost prohibitively expensive.

Zark the Damned
16-07-2010, 16:25
This could be cool - I would imagine them to be a special character unit (a bit like the old ROR) as I get the impression that Demigryph knights are really rare.

RanaldLoec
16-07-2010, 16:34
This could be cool - I would imagine them to be a special character unit (a bit like the old ROR) as I get the impression that Demigryph knights are really rare.

YES very rare unlike the steam tank which seems to breed faster than a star trek tribbel.

I was thinking a 0-1 unit limit, plus the fluff indicates the the knights of the vengeful sun knightly order only have a few trained Demigryphs and riders.

So maybe a grandmaster or Karl franz has to be the general to use them.

I'm only thinking of using them in big 4k plus games

Vaul
16-07-2010, 17:04
Sounds pretty epic.

Urgat
16-07-2010, 17:26
Does it actually say those things are flying? I haven't read those bits of the book yet (and I'm at work), but in the background forum people say otherwise.

RanaldLoec
16-07-2010, 17:42
Does it actually say those things are flying? I haven't read those bits of the book yet (and I'm at work), but in the background forum people say otherwise.

From pg 173

Karl franz plunged from the skies upon Deathclaw, below him a bodyguard of Demigryph-riding knights. The avian beasts tore into the arachnid monstrosities with beak and claw.

Avian been the clue that they might fly. AVIAN Adjective meaning of, has, or to have characteristics of a bird.

EmperorNorton
16-07-2010, 18:02
What the heck is a demigryph supposed to be?

Deff Mekz
16-07-2010, 18:05
^This, I would appreciate a explanation. Cheers, Deff.

EmperorNorton
16-07-2010, 18:11
I mean a gryph is half lion, half eagle, right?
So a demigryph is a quarter lion and a quarter eagle? :wtf:

Petey
16-07-2010, 18:17
From pg 173

Karl franz plunged from the skies upon Deathclaw, below him a bodyguard of Demigryph-riding knights. The avian beasts tore into the arachnid monstrosities with beak and claw.

Avian been the clue that they might fly. AVIAN Adjective meaning of, has, or to have characteristics of a bird.

Correct on all counts, but I'm going to guess that Demi Gryff means that they're going to be Gryphons without wings.

tdc500
16-07-2010, 18:19
There is a thread already discussing these odd beasts here...

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266278

RanaldLoec
16-07-2010, 18:28
Demi meaning part example Zeus is a god Hercules is a demi god as his mother was human.

So Demigryphs I've done some digging a demigrypon appears in a few places as part wolf part griffon.

Really though its open to interpretation given so little information a Demigryph can be pretty much a cross of griffon and what you want.

There is no right or wrong answer but I'm going to go with wings.

RanaldLoec
16-07-2010, 18:47
Oops sorry I did search using Demigryph and it only brought up the 8th ed background thread. The other thread is demi-gryph so the search function missed it. This thread will probably get closed as a duplicate thread.

Oh well once I get the models started I will start posting some pictures.

Until then I'm looking at using the lions from the high elf chariot, wings from the bret Pegasus knights, empire knights ( that's a no brainer really ). It's a suitable griffon / eagle head they I'm still looking for

Phaedrus
16-07-2010, 18:55
I was going to post this in the other thread, but I figured since I am talking about in-game possibilities rather than background this was a more appropriate place. So, if I may, I would like to flesh out some in-game hypotheticals (on the off chance they are actually added to the empire army):

If they are smaller gryphons with wings we are essentially looking at a unit of pegasus knights. Filling a missing flying unit niche for the Empire.

If they are larger creatures without wings they would look something like a white lion model with a saddle and the head of an eagle, be on 50mm bases and have a functionality resembling a blood crusher. That's really just a terrifying prospect if they could be taken in units. This would fill an ultra heavy cavalry niche in the Empire book.

The last possibility seems like they would be normal, horse sized cavalry that function along the lines of chaos steeds (higher strength, maybe two attacks) making them, more or less, an upgrade option for a single unit of inner circle knights.

252nd Fire Dragoon
16-07-2010, 19:50
Aloha,
I got the impression that they are just wingless, smaller griffins. Either way, would be really cool if they were made into actual models/rules.

Deff Mekz
16-07-2010, 19:50
Ah thanks for the explanation Petey.

Leogun_91
16-07-2010, 22:51
Think bret Pegasus knights, but the empire knights are a bit worse and the mount in this case the demigryph a bit better.The Brettonian armybook mentions pegasi killing dragons after their riders have been killed and the Old world Bestiary has a nobleman describe why Pegasuses are better then Griffins (they are Loyal and still very strong while Griffins have been known to eat their riders though Hippogryphs are much worse in that aspect). If you see a Warhammer Pegasus as a mere winged horse you are mistaken, that winged horse is more then a match for an expert swordsman, stronger then the strongest warhorse and loyal as an oathsworn hammerer. And the riders would probobly be Inner Circle knights, I read it as only the best being allowed to ride Demi-gryphs and then the riders shouldn't be much worse then Brettonian Pegasus Knights (said to be the equals to knights of the realm except with cooler mounts).

Take Pegasus knights as is (but remove Knights Vow), that's what I would do.

Kelderaith
16-07-2010, 23:23
I couldn't tear my mind away from empire chocobo rider when someone mentionned wingless griffins (with the appropriate comical music, of course!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiacQDJCdLk

Alltaken
17-07-2010, 00:35
The Brettonian armybook mentions pegasi killing dragons after their riders have been killed and the Old world Bestiary has a nobleman describe why Pegasuses are better then Griffins (they are Loyal and still very strong while Griffins have been known to eat their riders though Hippogryphs are much worse in that aspect). If you see a Warhammer Pegasus as a mere winged horse you are mistaken, that winged horse is more then a match for an expert swordsman, stronger then the strongest warhorse and loyal as an oathsworn hammerer. And the riders would probobly be Inner Circle knights, I read it as only the best being allowed to ride Demi-gryphs and then the riders shouldn't be much worse then Brettonian Pegasus Knights (said to be the equals to knights of the realm except with cooler mounts).

Take Pegasus knights as is (but remove Knights Vow), that's what I would do.

Bret noblest knights are supposed to be even better that Inner Circle Knights, goes as far as the RPG, last edition (not current) had bret knights having better stats than normal knights.

Cheers

Golradir
17-07-2010, 01:14
If you want to use them in a legal game, take three captains with standard gear on pegasus mounts and have them form up as a unit or simply fly them next to each other like old-style skirmishers. Just model them however you want. I think the idea is very cool as well!

Leogun_91
17-07-2010, 08:36
Bret noblest knights are supposed to be even better that Inner Circle Knights, goes as far as the RPG, last edition (not current) had bret knights having better stats than normal knights.

CheersYes the best knights of Brettonia are supposed to be much better then Inner Circle knights but Pegasus knights aren't amongst those, fluff describes them as Knights of the Realm with Pegasuses, it's questing knights and grailknights that are far better then the Imperial ones.

RanaldLoec
10-03-2012, 12:55
Apologies for the lore of life resurrection of this thread but.

I made one mock up model for this unit but I never had the time to invest in a full unit.

Now I shall await the new shiney models and see if I actually like them.

I was thinking though what other potential new units are hidden in the rule book fluff?

jack da greenskin
10-03-2012, 13:00
Apologies for the lore of life resurrection of this thread but.

I made one mock up model for this unit but I never had the time to invest in a full unit.

Now I shall await the new shiney models and see if I actually like them.

I was thinking though what other potential new units are hidden in the rule book fluff?

Start a new thread mate and link to this as an example if you need to, but its unfair to resurrect this thread as it happened waaayyy before any rumours of the demigryphs appeared.

RanaldLoec
10-03-2012, 14:18
Unfair! To whom?

Oh well if it keeps you happy.

Thread Locked

New thread to follow.