PDA

View Full Version : Complaints about your local GW

jthdotcom
17-07-2010, 02:21
Has anyone had reason to actually complain about there local GW store? I have just made a complaint to head office about my local store, so what are all your problems? Lets see if its a common thing throughout the company, or just certain stores

Duke Georgal
17-07-2010, 02:42
I have never been in a GW store, but my FLGS sometimes smells badly.

Do GW stores ever smell like unshowered teens? Yuck!

Ultimate Life Form
17-07-2010, 03:48
I know this is a favorite discussion on WarSeer, but I seem to go against the trend as I have not a single complaint about my local GW; it's a really great place to hang out and chat about the hobby.

Anyone expected that?

lorelorn
17-07-2010, 06:45
As with ULF, I've no complaints about my local GW stores either. Clean, decent staff, well-stocked, ready to help but not overbearing, they do a good job. I only shop there for the occasional pot of paint, but others I know spend more time and money and also one store has 12 tables, and runs quite regular gaming events.

All in all a good show by GW. Shame about their pricing policy, but the store guys are a good bunch and certainly aren't responsible for that.

pringles978
17-07-2010, 08:58
my gf went into my local workshop yesterday with a list and the staff guy there hit on her... im going down to complain in person today...

other than that no problems!

Garion
17-07-2010, 09:52
Why are you going to complain? So what if he hit on her. It's funny. I would only be bothered if he got some where with her lol

toonboy78
17-07-2010, 09:54
been going in for the last 18 years and had no problems what so ever.

no one has ever hit on me when in there :(

Lord_Squinty
17-07-2010, 09:57
my gf went into my local workshop yesterday with a list and the staff guy there hit on her... im going down to complain in person today...

Youre going to complain that someone hit on your girlfriend??

Seriously.... :rolleyes:

Edit - ninja'd

pringles978
17-07-2010, 10:03
she went in, walked up to the guy and said " my boyfriend has asked me to pick up some stuff" boyfriend being the operative word. and im not going to complain as such, just walk in and politely ask him if hes the guy who hit on the love of my life then let my hairy bulk do the rest... wouldnt normally have such an issue, she gets it all the time, but this guy was particularly sleazy/creepy and bugged her out a bit.

the creator
17-07-2010, 10:03
my local gw has gone back to what it was in the mid 90's.

instead of a friendly "hello there!" you get a "how much money do you have to spend today?" (portsmouth store)

jthdotcom
17-07-2010, 11:39
my local gw has gone back to what it was in the mid 90's.

instead of a friendly "hello there!" you get a "how much money do you have to spend today?" (portsmouth store)

Pretty much what mine is, also we're lucky to get a 4ft table to play on, let alone a 6ft table to use our nice new armies we bought for 8th edition, which we were all pressured into buying by the manager

Agnar the Howler
17-07-2010, 12:03
All the complaints about my GW store are because of Head Office's decisions, the guys who have worked there and are working there are fine, they're just doing their job and following orders.

It's because of GW that we can't afford to get upstairs done up to house some gaming boards (the two 48"48 downstairs are for beginner battles only by the looks of things, apart from on saturdays when all the kids come down and the shop is so small that you can't move for all the unwashed kids), it's because of GW that the shop hasn't been allowed to expand or move to a larger location (when it's packed, it really is packed, they even moved a third 48"48 (the only size boards they can fit in) out because of space issues.

It's also because of GW that they have limited times where they can use custom terrain, since they've been told that they have to point at a table and tell people they can buy it all from GW, there can't be even a bit of MDF etc. in sight because GW don't sell it.

The Marshel
17-07-2010, 13:01
there is a particular staff member at my local gw, who harasses my mate with insults over one of his forces and seems incapable of leaving u to ur battles alone

conversely, my unofficially local store near uni has my fav staff and i always enjoy a visit there

Thud
17-07-2010, 17:10
I've only been in two different GW stores, Clayton Street in Newcastle and Arndale Centre in Manchester, and both seemed great. Especially the one in Manchester, the staff were pretty much as good as you'd ever hope for. Sure, they tried to sell me all sorts of random things, but once I told them what I was after they put heaven and earth in motion to get it to me (it wasn't in stock and I was leaving the country a couple of days later). :)

CapitanGuinea
17-07-2010, 18:07
GW Roma closed the underground play room causing a very bad loss, for burocratic affair... -.-

burad
17-07-2010, 18:23
I'd like to complain that they closed the GW store near me; after the only local FLGS closed - so GW had a monopoly on gaming in these two counties and they closed it anyways. And it was the largest store in the region, with the exception of the bunker, which is 45 minutes away. So all those young folks - who don't have transportation - are selling off their stuff and getting out as they have no place to play & meet up. Smart move.

GomezAddams
17-07-2010, 18:43
Its a one man store Burton, but still.

I go in often enough, and the guy knows what I collect and such. He tried to sell me fantasy but I explained I'm not a gamer. 'Yeah but this is cool'. No says I, its a catalogue and I'm not interested. This went on for awhile.

I wouldn't mind but I have no qualms about buying anything from GW - the price doesn't bother me any more luckily (thank the gods for full time employment) but the moment I feel harassed, I leave. He's lost a fair bit of trade from me over the last few months..

Grimmeth
17-07-2010, 19:08
Staff wise my local GW is great, can't fault it at all.
One man store decisions and the idea to close at random times without notice (although this does seem to be getting a little better) annoy me, but it's not the local staff's fault at all.

bigcheese76
17-07-2010, 19:17
I have no complaints about the staff at my GW, they are always polite and know me (although I am always asked 'Do you have White Dwarf this month').

The decision made by head office I assume is something to complain about. They halved the size of the store, making it so there is now 1 gaming table which if you play on you are hurried alot and cant play big games at all.

crandall87
17-07-2010, 19:31
The only complaint is that it's now a one man store. The staff at my local store have always been really helpful and friendly in all the years that i've been going there.

Dezartfox
17-07-2010, 19:41
No complaints at all from me, I live practically across the road from my store ;D

Manager is a great guy and so are the staff :) We have a gaming room out the back with 5 boards, and then 2 boards out the front too, so 7 boards with plenty of terrain, all 6x4, chairs, fans, awesome :)

spetswalshe
17-07-2010, 19:51
Not my local, but I once went into a store with two attractive lesbian friends, who were holding hands and being coupley. It was basically a creepfest as they were followed around by every member of staff (and given most GW stores are quite small, you can imagine how close they had to get to count as 'following'), and one staffer made a disturbing comment to me, obviously not realising I came in with them, and accidentally revealing himself to be quite the psychopath. And both friends now refuse to entertain any talk on my part about goblins and trolls, as they feel it's a slippery slope that will end with me becoming one of the 'Children of the Shop'. It's a massive shame because they're the only people I know who are interested in fantasy and sci-fi; previously 40% of our conversations could be turned into a discussion on the merits of a particular type of troll and the routine of a neighbourhood necromancer. Now I have to get by with vague speculation on 'normal' things like vampires and werewolves. I'm starting to slip ghouls in under the radar but it's only a matter of time. Goddamn staffers.

Verm1s
17-07-2010, 20:02
The music is too loud, dagnabbit. You kids and your rap-metal enemams and skiplots.

RevEv
17-07-2010, 20:56
No complaints about the store - the staff are fantastic and most of the regulars are very friendly.

Sadly one of the regulars absolutely reeks. Not just the normal teenage BO, but full on unwashed for ages. It's absolutely horrible.

Aedes
17-07-2010, 22:58
I never had any problems and I always enjoyed being in a GW store.
Just a few weeks ago I have been to my "home" GW store in munich,
and as usual, the people were nice, helpful and good to chat with.
I wasnt forced to buy anything, but got some good advice, a LONG
read in the 8th edition fantasy rule book, and even the models I wanted
to buy were in stock.
I had similar experiences in the store in Adelaide(Oz) and Wellington(NZ),
Wellington being now the closest store to me.
And I have to say-- Nobody ever hit at me :(:cries::(.
Sometimes I wonder about people complaining on here-- are you more sensitive
than others?

The Ginger Ninja
18-07-2010, 03:54
My local GW is over 400 km away.
Thats my only complaint.

Bodysnatcher
18-07-2010, 15:18
Shame my store (which had a 6 table bunker) is moving and downsizing.

Just get annoyed with irritating and petty rules that keep changing, but it's generally because of staff cover where one doesn't say what's permitted etc.

DarthSte
18-07-2010, 15:32
My local, just a few miles away in Little Lamplight is good. No real complaints. One of the staff members regularly tries to recruit me for the GCN thing he runs, but only when I'm paying, so it's not as big an issue as if he was following me around telling me how great the club was.

omnivision6
18-07-2010, 15:33

should be flattered brah. dont get a guy fired over a big dick contest. you got the girl, she can defend herself.

Rikkjourd
18-07-2010, 15:47
should be flattered brah. dont get a guy fired over a big dick contest. you got the girl, she can defend herself.

Yeah, I can't imagine you get many models painted if you are going to spend you time going after everyone who attempted to flirt with your lady. Get over it (this does not apply if he did something actually illegal).

I don't have a local GW but the local independent shop is great. Only complaint is that the manager can be a bit pushy with sales even after one clearly states "I don't want to buy that" and sometimes makes totally random suggestions, like one time I wanted to make a small purchase for my Skaven army and he recommended a full dwarf army, like twice the battalion and then some... Also they should have more tables, but when do you ever get too many tables? =)

Plagueridden
18-07-2010, 16:15
too much screaming smelly kids & staff.
only GW stuf, yes I know that makes sense;)
but I enjoy other games & models as well.
Independent retailers ftw for me.

thenamelessdead
18-07-2010, 16:23
GW shops are normally fine unless the staff are overly corporate. Once you manage to snap them out of their trance they become human once again.

Verm1s
18-07-2010, 18:44
should be flattered brah.

Her: "Hi honey. The guy at GW hit on me today after I mentioned you. He creeped me out and made me feel bad."

Him: "Score!"

No. No I don't think so. :eyebrows:

omnivision6
18-07-2010, 22:04
Her: "Hi honey. The guy at GW hit on me today after I mentioned you. He creeped me out and made me feel bad."

Him: "Score!"

No. No I don't think so. :eyebrows:

ummmmm, no. i understand that socially inept nerds would not know how to handle that type of situation. Im going to give that guy the benefit of having some social skills, as he has a partner.

having said skills usually means that the person has a higher level of maturity than a hot headed teenager. a mature person would tell his women how much of a jerk that guy was and blah blah blah.

then know in his mind that he has a nice women who is HIS. men should NEVER fight over a women. if another man is after her, who cares. if you have to fight for her, shes the wrong girl. most nerds are so happy to smell a girls hair that they will let them walk all over them. stop white knighting women.

someone2040
19-07-2010, 08:03
I like my local GW fine.
If there was one complaint, it'd be that it's a bit on the small size unfortunately. They've got 3 4x4 tables, which when they run apocalypse they push two of them together. So unfortunately you can't really play anything larger than say 1000 points (maybe 1500) in a pick up game, as you can't guarantee to have a 6x4 tables.
Generally I don't hang around on games night because it's just too crowded (I'd like to get a game in or so, since all the clubs and what not are at least another half hour away, so it's basically my closest point), but can't stand it when there's tons of people around.

But in general, the staff are pretty cool. They point out White Dwarf and what not, but it's part of the job really.

Denny_Crane
19-07-2010, 08:40
Staff are nice and generally good to talk to but for some reason persist on me buying the new White Dwarf even when i already brought it or have no money. I could of brought one the day before in the store and they still backflip at least one conversation into buying the new White Dwarf. If that fails he will get out the calculator and start showing me how much money i'll save by buying the White Dwarf subscription.

I realise that GW is a business but it strikes me odd the staff keep trying to get me to buy a $12 (AUD) magazine.

Chaos and Evil
19-07-2010, 10:48
I realise that GW is a business but it strikes me odd the staff keep trying to get me to buy a $12 (AUD) magazine.
Their store manager grills them if they don't sell enough White Dwarfs each month. Literally. :-)

Wil Grand
19-07-2010, 11:06
she went in, walked up to the guy and said " my boyfriend has asked me to pick up some stuff" boyfriend being the operative word. and im not going to complain as such, just walk in and politely ask him if hes the guy who hit on the love of my life then let my hairy bulk do the rest... wouldnt normally have such an issue, she gets it all the time, but this guy was particularly sleazy/creepy and bugged her out a bit.

So what exactly will be the lesson in all of this? Because a guy unsuccessfully tried to be flirty with a customer you're going to use your "hairy bulk" to impose yourself on him and imply violence?

Sorry mate but this isn't Iran or indeed Ice Age Europe.

Brimweave
19-07-2010, 18:10
I have a couple of local stores as there all nearly equal distances from me. They're all good stores but 2 of them are just to small. You can never move through them as their are people in the way playing games or painting.

When I went to try a couple of games it was too loud, dark and cramped to really be able to enjoy the match. The stores themselves are fine just not with that many people in such a small space.

I usually go to my local indie shop though over the GW shops. Nicer environment, well lit, cheaper products, alot more space, variety in products from different companies and even though you need to pay for entry to the club its worth every penny.:D

Chucklemoney
19-07-2010, 21:10
only GW stuf, yes I know that makes sense;)
but I enjoy other games & models as well.
Independent retailers ftw for me.

I wasn't going to post in this thread but you had the bravery to post what I was thinking.

Even if they were just to sell some generic scenery it would still result in more money passing from me to them. As it stands I only go in to buy paints and Green stuff now.

My local GW is a one man store, friendly enough.

LonelyPath
19-07-2010, 23:49
I've never had a reason to complain about my regular GW except that whenever I make a point of going in there and willing to pay full amount for a product they never seem to have it in stock, lol. Oh, and the best staff members recently left the store which irks me a little, you could really talk with them, not getting the topic pushed back onto GW... I'm hoping they get more staff in soon.

Vaiuri
21-07-2010, 12:30
All the complaints about my GW store are because of Head Office's decisions, the guys who have worked there and are working there are fine, they're just doing their job and following orders.

It's because of GW that we can't afford to get upstairs done up to house some gaming boards (the two 48"48 downstairs are for beginner battles only by the looks of things, apart from on saturdays when all the kids come down and the shop is so small that you can't move for all the unwashed kids), it's because of GW that the shop hasn't been allowed to expand or move to a larger location (when it's packed, it really is packed, they even moved a third 48"48 (the only size boards they can fit in) out because of space issues.

It's also because of GW that they have limited times where they can use custom terrain, since they've been told that they have to point at a table and tell people they can buy it all from GW, there can't be even a bit of MDF etc. in sight because GW don't sell it.

I'm quite familiar with the store you speak of, having worked there myself - I can tell you that its not just about affording to get the upstairs room done up, the major issue is the lack of a fire escape should the one way in/out catch fire ;) Not only that but there has been an ongoing battle with the shopping centre with regards to the leaking roof, which didnt appear to be fixed while I was there despite them resurfacing the car park above the store. Admittedly this was a few years ago, its possible that mould we all grew to know and love no longer throws chunks of paint at you from the ceiling :evilgrin:

However, I completely agree the location and store size is terrible. With it being downgraded to a one man store dont expect it to move any time soon.

But let's face it, it wouldnt be a GW store if it wasnt in a random run-down part of town would it? :)

Born Again
21-07-2010, 12:50
I've never had any reason to complain about a GW store. On occasion it's obvious they're trying to pressure me in to sale when I'm only really there killing some time in a lunch break or something, but that's fine by me. They are salesmen, though I wish they were more assistants for those with inquiries. I still encounter some staff who operate like that and I like it much better.

However, recently a friend of mine came to me with a horror story. She's fairly new to 40k, and is crazy about Dark Eldar. She just dead-set cannot get enough Dark Eldar. She wandered in to a GW store, and the guy told her she shouldn't play Dark Eldar, not because she should wait for the new DE stuff in a few months, but flat out because "she will always lose". That seemed like a major screw up on his part, if I was a store manager and heard a staff member saying that to a customer there'd be some stiff words.

magath
21-07-2010, 12:50
Dude, even so, doing that is a sucker move. All the guy will do is wait until you've left and then laugh about it. Plus you'll end up looking like a whiney, insecure muppet. Only being honest...

I actually did put a complaint in about my local store fairly recently. The manager seems intent on running it into the ground before he gets sacked. Games nights used to be awesome (and given I work awkward shifts at a hospital, the only place I could get a game). Now its one 4x4 table, and they have the space for 3 or 4 (and I know this because they used to do that), the way he speaks to customers is apalling, escpecially the younger kids.

My thing is this, if your not happy running a store, leave. Dont make the place so unpleasant that many of your customers wont go in when your working. Theres no need for it.

Im eager to see what GW say in reply (which, to be fair, is probably going to be nothing at all)

sigur
21-07-2010, 14:29
Didn't we have this thread like a million times before, just with a different title? Oh wait, this is GW general. Just go ahead then...

Luthor
21-07-2010, 17:04
When the local Ork player actually smells like an Ork.

Other than that, my semi-local GW was pretty cool. They closed (surprise?) and now the only other one is like an hour away and has only one table. It is about the size of my room (which isn't really that big at all).

Triple7s
21-07-2010, 19:28
Living in Sheffield, theres actually 2 local stores - one in the city and one in Meadowhall, which is basically a huge shopping centre for those who are unfamiliar with it. The one in town is fine despite the guy having a tendancy to ramble on and on and on. The one in Meadowhall isn't all that pleasant. The staff tend to just stand around talking, ignore you when you go in, grudgingly drag themselves away from their conversation to serve you, and the entire thing is just far far too small, which renders the shop almost impossible to navigate when they decide to host starter games for a bunch of kids.

SilentCivilian
21-07-2010, 19:52
I have no complaints about the 2 stores i frequent. A little on the crowded side on games nights and seekends perhaps but at least its i can get a pick up game easy enough. As it looks like my local club is going to fold soon due to lack of numbers i am happy it is there.

As for people complaining about the staff trying to sell them stuff, its the same with most retail outlets these days. I am a store manager myself so i know how these things are handed down from head office and if staff dont get behind it there is hell to pay. Dont hate the staff, hate the capitalist soceity that means companies have to make money. :shifty:

75hastings69
21-07-2010, 20:12
My local store is great, much improved from how it used to be. I LOVE the Aberdeen store (which I'd call my second local store as I'm there so often) but one of the guys there is an absolute TOOL, I would seriously enjoy nothing more than to smash his stupid ponytailed face into the pavement outside!!! :evilgrin: ... other than that it's one of my favourite GW stores.

Shamutanti
21-07-2010, 23:23
Living in Sheffield, theres actually 2 local stores - one in the city and one in Meadowhall, which is basically a huge shopping centre for those who are unfamiliar with it. The one in town is fine despite the guy having a tendancy to ramble on and on and on. The one in Meadowhall isn't all that pleasant. The staff tend to just stand around talking, ignore you when you go in, grudgingly drag themselves away from their conversation to serve you, and the entire thing is just far far too small, which renders the shop almost impossible to navigate when they decide to host starter games for a bunch of kids.

How far away is Chesterfield or Doncaster? Cause I know a few guys from Sheffield pop into Chesterfield every now n' again, especially ones who used to go to Meadowhall.

Duke Georgal
22-07-2010, 01:14
my gf went into my local workshop yesterday with a list and the staff guy there hit on her.

Absolutely complain, but not you, your girlfriend should do it. If you complain it is simply hearsay and it should be disregarded.

My employees are expressly FORBIDDEN to conduct ANY personal busines on time I AM PAYING for. That includes any personal business, phone calls, etc. etc.

If any of them tried to start up a personal relationship with a customer ON MY TIME... instant termination.

This is a double because any employee that makes a customer uncomfortable... instant termination for that as well. This was amazingly poor judgement on his part.

Triple7s
22-07-2010, 02:13
How far away is Chesterfield or Doncaster? Cause I know a few guys from Sheffield pop into Chesterfield every now n' again, especially ones who used to go to Meadowhall.

Unfortunatly both are about 1.5 - 2 hours bus ride away, and i don't drive. I hear a lot of good things about the Cfield branch though.

BobtheInquisitor
22-07-2010, 08:32
This is a double because any employee that makes a customer uncomfortable... instant termination for that as well. This was amazingly poor judgement on his part.

If GW fired people for that, they'd have very few employees indeed.

75hastings69
22-07-2010, 08:35
Unfortunatly both are about 1.5 - 2 hours bus ride away, and i don't drive. I hear a lot of good things about the Cfield branch though.

It's a 1 man store at Knifegatesmith, it's waaay better than the overcrowded Meadowhall store, but IMO not as good as the Doncaster store.

Deamon-forge
22-07-2010, 09:20
i can think of somthing that would sell damn well and damn fast which would get more people into the stores

"replica working Imperial Guard respirater mask"

yes the smell in mosat GW is a little well chocking some times. the staff are ok i would say its just the new people pussing the new models at you to buy them. but then its there job to do so.

blongbling
22-07-2010, 09:38
I have never been in a GW store, but my FLGS sometimes smells badly.

Do GW stores ever smell like unshowered teens? Yuck!

yes they do, especially on a Saturday in the middle of summer :)

Or is it because the store doesn't have enough turnover to justify GW spending the money on the renovations you want?

aa.logan
22-07-2010, 13:02

Or around half an hour (and considerably cheaper) by train...

omnivision6
22-07-2010, 22:16
Absolutely complain, but not you, your girlfriend should do it. If you complain it is simply hearsay and it should be disregarded.

My employees are expressly FORBIDDEN to conduct ANY personal busines on time I AM PAYING for. That includes any personal business, phone calls, etc. etc.

If any of them tried to start up a personal relationship with a customer ON MY TIME... instant termination.

dont take a job at GW seriously. most guys that work their arent trying to support a family, and i feel sorry for them if they are on those meager earnings.

burad
22-07-2010, 22:42
what's enemams and skiplots?

Meanwhile,
All the GW stores in this area are fine, as far as I'm concerned, except that they are all too small.
As far as i can tell, though, all of them are what i'd call 'party line' stores - they don't have vet's nights or anything like that. Everything is just the standard what-regional-management-tells-them events.

Shamutanti
23-07-2010, 00:08

Like mentioned, check the trains. They're pretty quick in transport times and not too heavy on the cash flow.

LonelyPath
23-07-2010, 00:22

It's quicker for you to head to Notts or Derby isn't it? The one in Derby can be a challenge to find unless you know the area, but if you head to Notts by bus, get off at the bus station, head through the Broadmarsh Shopping Centre, head out up the pedestrian area, turn left up the hill (Friar Lane), walk passed Forbidden Planet and then GW should be just to your right across the street. I forget the directions to Warhammer World, I always used to grab a taxi to it so never really paid much attention.

Tokugawa100
23-07-2010, 01:23
My local store is really starting to bug me.

I recently found out they are no longer stocking Codex's or Army Books and are only available for special delivery but I live an hour away so its a hassle to go in there and place an order.

I also feel it is very disorganised, stock is all over the place and I have called more then once to see if a special delivery has arrived yet and have been told "oh yes, silly us..this has been here for about a week LOL":rolleyes:

I realise people make mistakes but this has happened about five times.

They also donot seem to know there own stock, to be fair it is a general hobby store but with over half of their stock being GW products I kinda feel they should know a thing or two.

One thing which really bugs me is they still have a small collection of army books and codexes on the shelves from before they decided to not stock them which has remained unchanged now for about 3 years...

Now the thing that bugs me is most of them are older editions of army books I want, I already have them which also makes them unapealing. One or two of them I bought because I was interested in seeing what the army was like in its previous book compared to the new one and more then once they have told me in a know it all voice "aah yes Skaven, good choice, thats the new book too".

The thing is too, now I can understand GW raising their prices on the new books but when you are selling army books which are now obsolete I would kinda expect them to be a little cheaper but no, all of them despite most of them being preceeded by a new book are $42.00.

Plus it smells sometimes.

I will say this though, the staff are actually quite helpful and eager to aid you in a problem, sometimes I know they dont really know themselves but thats ok with me. Especially anything to do with board games and models they are quite knowledgable.

slayerofmen
23-07-2010, 09:53
How are they selling the old editions of the book still, surely one phone call to a stockist would get that fixed? and not to hold them at all is MASSIVE fail why do that? army books to me fall under the paints/glue/green stuff impulse buy thing. "hey cool new book in might go grab it"

DarthSte
23-07-2010, 10:49
Tokugawa, is that a Games Workshop store or just a store that stocks GW products? If they're actually a Games Workshop, I think that your regions head office would be very interested to know that they were selling out of date codex and army books. :mad:

Tokugawa100
23-07-2010, 11:14
How are they selling the old editions of the book still, surely one phone call to a stockist would get that fixed? and not to hold them at all is MASSIVE fail why do that? army books to me fall under the paints/glue/green stuff impulse buy thing. "hey cool new book in might go grab it"

It baffles me, I suppose they are waiting to see if they can get rid of them, though I cant see people buying an old edition when they can get the new one at the same price.:confused:

Tokugawa, is that a Games Workshop store or just a store that stocks GW products? If they're actually a Games Workshop, I think that your regions head office would be very interested to know that they were selling out of date codex and army books. :mad:

Well yes, to be fair they arent a licensed Games Workshop store, they are a hobby store which stocks close to 90% GW products, 5% Board Games and 5% Hobby stuffs and vehicle models.

But I still feel that they should still be selling up to date stock.

DarthSte
23-07-2010, 11:26
But I still feel that they should still be selling up to date stock.

I totally agree, it was just that if they were a GW store, then you could probably do something about it fairly easily. As they are not, unless they have a "sale or return" agreement on the stock, I'm not sure what they could do with the old stock.

Must independant GW stockists around me only sell the models, not the books, as the models may age, but don't really go out of date. But then whe have an official GW store every 20 miles over here...

RunepriestRidcully
23-07-2010, 14:31
Cheltenham is okay, apart from the manager, who whilst a nice enough guy and is always polite can be, well here is an example from yesterday.
:
I was sat at one of the tables, painting a salamander hunting pack I had bought from there a week before, he comes and asks me to move to the other painting table right at the front of the store, which is not particually nice, just so he can sit next to the kid as he made his stuff, it is little things like this that has caused all of the veterans to not like him, he just pushes us out for the little kids too much, whilst we know it is company policy, it can be so annoying that he sticks to it so dogmatically, he always says how GW makes the best models, even the other staff are not so dogmatic.

Xarius
23-07-2010, 16:02
the manager is single handedly killing release days and weekend gaming. He is not a people-person and the staff cannot run proper events.

He also has an account on here.

Toddy
23-07-2010, 16:56
There are some real gems working in the retail stores. Unfortunately they tend to take their interpersonal skills somewhere else after a short while to earn a real wage!

The basic issue with GW retail staff is the balance between being fun to talk to, and achieving sales. It's easy to make friends with your regulars and it's easy to push new products to rich parents and grinning kids, but hitting the sweet spot where you're friendly and helpful but still find solutions for customers that entail them spending money in your store both short and long term is quite the art form :p

'Regulars' are a mixed blessing. There are kids that spend the whole of their summer holidays in GW stores and spend nothing, using store equpment and gaming tables then taking their money elsewhere. This is largely the root cause of the 'angry manager' syndrome we see mentioned a few times above. If you think the manager is nasty to you, or is ruining your gaming night etc. It's probably because you or your general gaming group is leeching profit from his store.

'Smelly' gamers do happen, as you'd expect from adolescants spending 6 hours on a hot day in an enclosed space, but it's not the endemic problem that people like to claim it is. It's only the same as school classrooms etc.

The notion of staff being 'creepy', often to girls is another one I'd take umbrage with. A lot of non-gamers go into GWs with preconcieved notions of it being geeky etc. Any sensible staff member realises this, and spots it a mile off. There are certain people who you know are there just to browse. A simple smile, hello, followed up by a easy discussion after a few minutes is usually enough to show them you're human and that the goblin cave isn't as bad as they expected. Not all GW staff are great at that though. It doesn't make them creepy, it just means they're better at talking to people already invovled in the hobby.

I'll not comment on the White Knight going in to GW Harrogate to fight for his lady's honour, but I'd like to have witnessed the whole thing as a neutral third party :p

omnivision6
23-07-2010, 17:10
I'll not comment on the White Knight going in to GW Harrogate to fight for his lady's honour, but I'd like to have witnessed the whole thing as a neutral third party :p

lol, if we had a reputation system on this forum I would give you reps for life.

Justicar Valius
23-07-2010, 18:00
GW Kingston upon Thames is a nice enough place, the manager and one other guy (who has been there the longest out of all of them) are very nice and another guy who is quite new is just a bit over enthusiastic but he only does beginners games for the most part at least.

No complaints, let it slide when I mention that I've seen sprue pics of somthing to people I'm playing.

2 4x4 tables for beginners games, 2 6x4 tables for anybody to use (unless they are running an event like 8th ed beginners with 6 players at once). 6 spaces for painters. Spacious, well stocked, all good.

laverack69
23-07-2010, 18:17
Well my local store has only been open 2 months and I don't think they have had any stock in at all apart from the latest whitedwarf. The issue from the month before was never sent, half the shelves are empty. when ever anyone asks for something they can't find on the shelves the manager says "no sorry, But I can order it and have it sent to your house". Again as with others here it is a one man band and opening ours are odd, but i guess he can't be there all the time.

spetswalshe
23-07-2010, 19:00

Man, I bet your employees have a blast :)

"Hey, did you see that docu-"
"NO TALKING! RELEASE THE HOUNDS!"

magath
24-07-2010, 17:02

Out of curiosity, and I dont mean this as a dig at you or anything like that, but how is your staff morale? I just look at the stuff you've put in capitals and while I'm sure it seems fair to you, to me as a former HR manager, it seems a little draconian.

JonnyX
25-07-2010, 00:28
My local GW hardly need to press sales, just polite staff,fresh air and regular event but sometimes when they get a bit carried away and seeing as the store is situated in the middle of a shopping centre the staff member did get a few looks from passers by when he broke into dance.

wizbix
25-07-2010, 02:54
I would like to complain about my local GW store - not enough hot chicks!

Tokugawa100
25-07-2010, 07:24
I totally agree, it was just that if they were a GW store, then you could probably do something about it fairly easily. As they are not, unless they have a "sale or return" agreement on the stock, I'm not sure what they could do with the old stock.

Must independant GW stockists around me only sell the models, not the books, as the models may age, but don't really go out of date. But then whe have an official GW store every 20 miles over here...

Its a darn shame too because its the only store around here still living, its the last of three without having to go all the way to Newcastle.

We had one store in the same area as this store which died out with poor sales, mind you I couldnt care less as the people who worked there were rude and completely uninterested in helping.

The second store was a bit more successful but was destroyed when we had some really bad flooding a couple years back. "At least thats what I heard" It was there one week, we had floods, next week it was gone.
Shame too because they were excellent with their service and stocking, they never seemed to be sold out of anything. Im a little confused because I would have assumed they had insurance but maybe not, could also have been poor sales, there really isnt a high demand for Wargaming around here.

So now Ive just got this store and I really miss the other store, sadly I was only a kid wit no job when the old store was around so I never had money. Now I work and the last store has nothing I want.:cries:

Blackstaff
26-07-2010, 00:02
Hey guys I'm kinda new here but not to the game. Been playing for quite some time. I have to say my GW is great. I live in Illinois and the one I frequent is in Orland Park at their mall. The staff is pretty darn cool and I've got nothing but positive stuff to say. If you guys read this, GOOD job.

Blackstaff

warpoet
26-07-2010, 03:43
We have two GWs around here I could call local.

I have no real complaints about them. I think they do a pretty good job with the space and conditions they've got.

One has music a bit loud, but I am an old fart, so maybe it's just me.

They do all seem to talk in "GW Enthusiasm Growl" a touch too much. That's gotta be hard on the windpipe.

warhammergrimace
26-07-2010, 08:40
I tend not to game i stores these days, I'm fortunate to live in Sheffield where there some excellent clubs to game. The local store, is OK, the new chap running it these days is OK, seems a decent enough guy. The previous manager was a nightmare, rude, loud, bullish and just generally a pain in the rear.

I know of people who have made genuine complaints and have even had to go upto Lenton to be interviewed regarding the compalint. When a complaint is made they generally take them very seriously, if the complaint is a serious one. I remember the previous manager of the local store, put up a notice saying that begineers had to buy an army before they could attend begineer sundays, a veteran customer, made a complaint and the manager was told he couldn't do that.

My wife tends to get treated with a small amount of disdain when she enters a store, the usual what does a girl know about the hobby. We've been into some stores and she's asked about an army and the staffer talks to me not her, at which point I generally inform them its her not me buying.

Once she was in store painting, she's a competition painter, the manager asked her if she would like a painting lesson in a really patronising way as if he was talking to a child, she turned to him, picked up one of his models and said, "I think it should be me asking you that question." and put his model back on the table, he never bothered her again.

lorelorn
26-07-2010, 10:04
Hey guys I'm kinda new here but not to the game. Been playing for quite some time. I have to say my GW is great. I live in Illinois and the one I frequent is in Orland Park at their mall. The staff is pretty darn cool and I've got nothing but positive stuff to say. If you guys read this, GOOD job.

Blackstaff

If you want them to here that, tell them in person, or write a letter and drop it off at the store. Either would make their day brighter I'm sure.

GreyWolf
27-07-2010, 18:21
Apart from the fact that the manager of the shop doesn't really promote LOTR (the only system I play;he has said to a potential customer "Oh, LOTR isn't anywhere near as good as WHFB or WH40K, try one of those instead" when he showed interest in a match between me and my friend), the only problems I have are that the display cabinets are all full of 40K armies painted only by the manager and his friends, when there are better painters around and that my main opponents are a whiny 10 year-old who refuses to listen to anyone's advice and a friend who never paints his models.

StrawberryMcFairyShoes
27-07-2010, 21:06
The manager in the GW store in Antwerp is a saint. Extremely friendly guy.
Had one incident though, (The manager was absent, on one of the 8th edition seminars I think.) some 40 year old metalhead or as you like to call them veterans made an offensive remark towards my friend. My friend didn't hear it but I did and so did the staffer standing next to the afore mentioned "veteran". Staffer said nothing I did. Staffer later apologised about his customers behaviour. So nothing serious but I will avoid veteran events and balding douches with ponytails.

Luke
27-07-2010, 22:52
My only complaint thus far is that my local (nuneaton) is shut on mondays and tuesdays which also, rather unfortunately, are my days off work.

It is a one man show however. I'm grateful I have a store within 8 miles of home.

Brother Enok
28-07-2010, 16:06
My local is now GW Chelmsford as that is the town I work in. I have no complaints, Russ is a dude.

fluffystuff
28-07-2010, 20:38
My local GW is actually quite a pleasent place to visit. The staff are friendly and don't give me the hard sell , apart from the usual " do you have enough glue, etc ". I always get a hello when I walk in and they'll normally get the stuff off the shelf for me when I tell them what I want. Thumbs up for GW Worcester.

Orzel_Dragon
28-07-2010, 21:10
We have a small store where I live. The manager is a nice guy, but watching him try and persuade my brother that the Ogre army he had just sniped on ebay to sell on was now better in 8th ed than his Daemon and Empire lists and that he should keep it was rather amusing.......

RevEv
29-07-2010, 00:13
The best my wife has had was 'So Madam, do your son's play these games?' when she went in to a store in her power suit (not Power Armour OK!)

The problem was that
a) We had no kids then.
b) She was a regular at the store because (get this)
c) I was a key timer at the store!

My mate who asked her had to grovel mightily the next time I saw him, especially as he would greedily devour the cookies my wife would bring in for the staff.

And, yes, I have a hot wife (well, I think so anyway).

Mini77
29-07-2010, 04:14
My local GW stores are Nottingham and Chesterfield. Both are fine and I've never had grief with either. My wife works in Chesterfield and often pops in to pick stuff up for me and she's always said they've been friendly and helpful to her.

Also, my wife is hot too. :D

Toddy
29-07-2010, 17:22
A lot depends on the staffer. Look at the guys you game with, some of them are probably extremely social, likeable people, others probably stammer when talking to girls.

Both types get hired by GW.

Mini77
29-07-2010, 17:35
A lot depends on the staffer. Look at the guys you game with, some of them are probably extremely social, likeable people, others probably stammer when talking to girls.

Both types get hired by GW.

Stammering is an impairment no way linked to sociability or likability.

Some people seem to have a view that people who stammer are less intelligent, more nervous etc.

All research indicates that the stammering and the non-stammering populations are identical in terms of intelligence, mental state, neurotic behaviour etc. The only difference found is that one group stammers and the other doesn't, but no explanation for this has as yet been identified.

Speed of speech should not be confused with speed of thought. A person who stammers will generally think at normal speed, even though expression of the thoughts may be slower.

Toddy
30-07-2010, 09:07
Stammering is an impairment no way linked to sociability or likability.
Your quote refers to those who suffer a constant stammer. I refer to a situational loss of speech fluency. Perhaps stammer isn't the correct term, but I believe it is.

I think most people would understand what I'm talking about, and not confuse it with a slight against those with a genuine speech impediment.

But thanks for your input nonetheless.

Grimtuff
30-07-2010, 13:40
Your quote refers to those who suffer a constant stammer. I refer to a situational loss of speech fluency. Perhaps stammer isn't the correct term, but I believe it is.

I think most people would understand what I'm talking about, and not confuse it with a slight against those with a genuine speech impediment.

But thanks for your input nonetheless.

Erm, yes. It's what a lot of men do when they speak to someone they fancy the pants off. They drop about 100 points of IQ and turn into a slavering caveman.

Dvil
30-07-2010, 17:58
To answer the OP, I always used to be proud that I'd managed to avoid all the bad GW stores, since I'd never had a problem, and we travel round the country (England) a bit and I usually make the point to stick my head in and say hi to the staffers*.

However. Lately, we've managed to get a situation where, for a reason I don't know, the store is just never open. Maybe once a week it opens, if we're lucky. It's at the point where I don't even turn up to game nights, because it's not worth carrying my army and paying the bus fare without any assurance that it'll be open. That's my complaint.

*On a positive note, I can happily say GW Derby is my favourite so far. I can't remember the name of the staffer there, but he talked to me like a person rather than a customer, he had a good sense of humour, and he dealt with a problem customer (hyperactive kid) in an admirably calm and non-aggressive way. Three cheers!

Wolf Lord Balrog
30-07-2010, 18:07
I haven't been to my local GW in a while, but back when I used to go regularly, most of the staff were cool.

However, there was this one guy who was an absolute prick painting-Nazi. He would hassle anybody who didn't have a completely painted and based army. And apparently he constructed some of the terrain tables too, and had 'favorite' tables that he would get particularly bitchy about if you were playing on it with an army that didn't meet his standards.

Duke Georgal
30-07-2010, 20:39
There was this one guy who was an absolute painting-fascist. He would hassle anybody who didn't have a completely painted and based army.

Good for him.

I, for one, am completely fed up with the acceptance of unpainted armies on the tables.

Wolf Lord Balrog
30-07-2010, 22:32
Good for him.

I, for one, am completely fed up with the acceptance of unpainted armies on the tables.

My army is completely painted, but I don't do anything fancy to base my models, I just paint the base grey. You're telling me a GW employee should be harassing me for that? And I don't think it does anything for the growth of the hobby if new players, happy that they have some models assembled and can actually play for first time, get harassed by a GW employee because they haven't learned how to paint fast enough for his taste.

Do well-painted, based, and converted models make for a better game? Certainly. But not so much that new players, or players who don't want to go to great lengths to decorate their models, should be harassed and told where they can or can't play.

RevEv
30-07-2010, 23:00
Well painted miniatures add to the 'Wow factor' when a potential gamer comes in to the store. That the miniatures are painted by customers and not staff members adds to a sense of accessibility for a potential gamer.

I do not believe, however, that insisting on completely painted armies is necessarily essential though. It makes the store appear less accepting to a potential gamer.

I, for one, tend not to play without a fully painted army - even at home, my regular opponent insists on it. That I paint both mine and her armies makes it hard work at times.

punkfish
31-07-2010, 13:55
Right, I'll not name the store we were in, just in case the staff member concerned reads this.

Basically, one saturday, OH and I are out shopping and I decided visit GW as I needed some paints (would normally buy from Wayland but had forgotten to sort it). We walk into GW and ths staff member asks me what I was doing on Halloween.

"I'm doing a night shift" says I.

"Oh good, you can come in during the day" he replies.

"Really? Are you giving away free stuff?"

The staff member then proceeds to wax lyrical about how the new skaven army book is out and that to celebrate, he's making everyone wear hats. I respond with something like "Is that because it rhymes with rats?" although I thought I was probably missing something. Turns out I was, because then the blue shirt proceeds to give us his best skaven impression and regale us with how the skaven can't tell the different man things apart unless they check out the hat that the man thing is wearing.

Now, I'm not a skaven expert by any stretch of the imagination, but this was a new one on me. At this point, I was probably looking incredulous and the only response I could muster was "I don't have any good hats"

Our staff member was however warming to his target audience (I was looking for an escape route at this point) and his ratman impression was reaching a fever pitch. Hand gestures a go go, his best rat voice and pulling a face that only his mother could love, our hero scampered around the counter muttering something about the vermin lord. Or it could have been something to do with indigestion. I'm not sure.

At this point, my OH's nerve failed her (she rolled a double six for her morale check), she uttered a screech and made her excuses before running for the exit. I decided discretion was the better part of valour and uttered "look, a baby wolf" before pointing over his shoulder and then making for the exit myself with all due haste.

Now, in my day job, faced with that sort of behaviour, I'd normally consider taking them to a place of safety under the Mental Health Act. Frankly, the saying "mad as a box of frogs" springs to mind.

End result is, OH won't go to that GW again, I didn't get my paints, and I never made it to the hat wearing festival.

This is pretty much the only time that I've been disturbed with the behaviour at a GW - I'm not bothered about the hard sell that they subject you to and I've never really had any issues with the staff at any of the stores I've been to.

Well, there is the Beast of Enfield story, but that's for another time....

Lostanddamned
31-07-2010, 14:33
I don't have any complaints on my local GW because I haven't been in there in about a year.

RevEv
31-07-2010, 16:10
No complaints about my local GW today. Had a call from Mrs RevEv that I should meet her there as they had the new IoB High Elves in. She was thrilled as she was able to have a good, hands on, look at them.

warpoet
02-08-2010, 01:22
Was at my local GW just the other day. They remembered I'd be moving soon.

Points to them for knowing their client base.

DeeKay
02-08-2010, 01:56
GW Cambridge has a fair amount of brownie points from me. Friendly staff, relaxed atmosphere for the painters, gaming room downstairs (one of the few bad points. I tend to call it "the pit". No prizes for guessing why!)

My only real complaint is the gaming pit...ROOM, I meant room! No air-con, no windows and plenty of gamers makes it... unpleasant at times.

With regards,
Dan.

pinegulf
02-08-2010, 08:06
Local (Helsinki, Finland) last week:

Went by bike (~8km) after work to check out if there was anything new and worth my time. Happened to ask when would Blood isle be out? Answer was "The same date as posted on the internet."

Well I still got something, not any date, but methaphorical middle finger. Maybe a bad day for the clerk, who knows?

Toddy
03-08-2010, 11:28
Funny story about over-enthusiastic staffersI think this is a good example of them pitching to the wrong audience. I'm sure the skaven impression goes down great with the regulars!

Plagueridden
03-08-2010, 13:04
I think this is a good example of them pitching to the wrong audience. I'm sure the skaven impression goes down great with the regulars!

it'd do great in a local asylum yes

Melvaius
05-08-2010, 01:34
GW Stoke has always been great, one of the first to be opened apparently. However one thing niggled me, no opening times on the door. I know you can check online, however if you are going there after an early shift at work and the store is closed at peek trading time its a bit annoying. I dunno its just useful!!!

LiamTaylor
05-08-2010, 08:55
I've had mixed encounters with GW staff,

Mostly they are very nice, especially at the new GW opened near me in Bury, very nice staffer.

However there are a few that irke me, mainly the person who tried to convince me that my VC army had secured a steam tank and that i should buy one, no matter that it had absolutely no use ever in my army. He is definately a sales man and not a gamer though and now refuse to go back to that store, ever, since I have had multiplae runs in with him now.

Also I hate it when the shops just close at random times and days, normally on gaming days too, sometimes when at the store near my uni the only staff member will go and half hour breaks and close the shop without putting any notices up or anything. most annoying when I then have to go back home carrying all my stuff, giving up going down anymore tbh.

But apart from that most staffers are really friendly

Shamutanti
05-08-2010, 09:36
I've had mixed encounters with GW staff,

Mostly they are very nice, especially at the new GW opened near me in Bury, very nice staffer.

However there are a few that irke me, mainly the person who tried to convince me that my VC army had secured a steam tank and that i should buy one, no matter that it had absolutely no use ever in my army. He is definately a sales man and not a gamer though and now refuse to go back to that store, ever, since I have had multiplae runs in with him now.

Also I hate it when the shops just close at random times and days, normally on gaming days too, sometimes when at the store near my uni the only staff member will go and half hour breaks and close the shop without putting any notices up or anything. most annoying when I then have to go back home carrying all my stuff, giving up going down anymore tbh.

But apart from that most staffers are really friendly

Then ask them to put signs up? Staffers do response to customer comments.

1 man stores should close from 2:30 until 3 for lunch. If they're closed any other time it will normally be for a toilet break but they should leave a message or note on the door. Just ask them to do it more or even call the store before you set off to the store?

Lots of the complaints about 'the store was closed' can easily be fixed by ringing the store.

Oglog
05-08-2010, 11:07
GW Cambridge has a fair amount of brownie points from me. Friendly staff, relaxed atmosphere for the painters, gaming room downstairs (one of the few bad points. I tend to call it "the pit". No prizes for guessing why!)

My only real complaint is the gaming pit...ROOM, I meant room! No air-con, no windows and plenty of gamers makes it... unpleasant at times.

With regards,
Dan.

GW Cambridge is also my local store. I don't got as much as I used to but the staff are constantly changing, and they seemed much nicer and more helpful than they are now. They are still friendly, but more in a commercial, do you want white dwarf? do you want paint? sort of way, rather than, wow your army is really nice.

Finarflin
05-08-2010, 11:48
GW Cambridge is also my local store. I don't got as much as I used to but the staff are constantly changing, and they seemed much nicer and more helpful than they are now. They are still friendly, but more in a commercial, do you want white dwarf? do you want paint? sort of way, rather than, wow your army is really nice.

I've been there a few times recently and although I hadn't been their for a while they still remembered what army I collect (although they dint remember my name). My only comment is that they seem to have less time to discuss + help you with your army e.g. make tactics suggestions / painting suggestions. I don't know if this is because of more customers/less staff or something else.

Although i haven't been there much i do agree with DeeKay that the "pit" can be a bit stuffy.

Arzukael
05-08-2010, 22:54
I was at my local GW today. for the first time since ages.
The whole store was revamped,
and only 1 staff member was present.
I was talking to him about some old models (Space Crusade)
and how to incorperate them into a current army,
but the talk was soon ended by; I have no idea what you are talking about,
I only play for 3 years now, and, do you want to buy the new BA codex, it has neat new rules and 2 new boxes to go with it!
Was dissapointed to say the least, and was out of the store within 5 minutes, something I couldn't have imagined to happen a few years ago.

Lord Malorne
05-08-2010, 23:04
Since ages? Wow!

I don't have a local GW, thats my complaint.

Stormfather
06-08-2010, 01:11
New York City used to have 4 GW's, now there's only one. I understand it's a matter of finances, but the place is too small for the volume of traffic there; if you're trying to play, there are shoppers tripping over you, and if you're trying to shop, you're tripping on players. But I guess that can go for any tiny storefront in a big city, especially one with tables set up in the middle- the staff are friendly and knowledgeable, and if it wasn't over an hour away from my apt. I'd probably go there a lot more.

Mahwell Skel
06-08-2010, 10:15
I think this is a good example of them pitching to the wrong audience. I'm sure the skaven impression goes down great with the regulars!

But this is why I steer well clear usually and so do probably loads of others.

Ah the anonymous bliss of buying online (not to mention the discount)

The questioning of "What army..??" also bugs me. Whatever you say there is always a glazed look and then "But have you seen this uber thing??? Its ace you need it." I suppose I am getting to the age where I look like I might be there buying something for little Timmys birthday and not every customer wears a suit and tie so maybe I look out of place .

In fact I am being very harsh as I went into GW Manchester in the Arndale only a couple of weeks ago with my (4 year old) son. One of the staffers Russ?? Ross? was very nice and helpful and the only cringworthy moment was when my son lay on the floor pretending that he had been speared by a troll.

I think I will go into my local gw today, but really I know I will walk past gazing longingly in, looking at all the Timmys arguing about the rules and "that would never happen" stuff.

Toddy
06-08-2010, 10:31
But this is why I steer well clear usually and so do probably loads of others.I understand your point well, I'm the same, but I've worked as staff in a store, and while enthusiasm is encouraged, most staff know that pretending to be a ratman in front of grown adults is not acceptable behaviour :p

Some staff are just better at talking to the regular kids than talking to fully functionaing members of society. As a retail team you know each other's strengths and weaknesses, and cover for each other. I guess that's gone now in the one-man stores.

blongbling
06-08-2010, 13:05
A serious customer! Tim, isn't it time for you to make the tea? :rolleyes:

I saw the payscale for a manager on their site- £15,000 full time is a bit scanty. You earn more being an actual soldier.

just don't run the risk of getting shot though

magath
06-08-2010, 13:23
Well, that depends entirely on if he's working in Doncaster...

yabbadabba
06-08-2010, 13:38
I think I will go into my local gw today, but really I know I will walk past gazing longingly in, looking at all the Timmys arguing about the rules and "that would never happen" stuff. As opposed to reading all the Timmys doing that on here eh? :evilgrin:

Mahwell Skel
06-08-2010, 14:03
ok you got me there lol! I admit thats half the fun!

Citizen Lame
06-08-2010, 14:41
Well, that depends entirely on if he's working in Doncaster...

Couldn't agree more. Went into my local GW today (yeah, Doncaster) and just wanted to find out more about the beginners program as I'm just getting into Fantasy. I was expecting the staffer to offer me some sort of product, how I need it or whatever but the girl who was working there was very pleasant and gave me the information I needed. Didn't try to push me into buying or anything which was nice. :)

Plagueridden
06-08-2010, 14:50
As opposed to reading all the Timmys doing that on here eh? :evilgrin:

well at least you dont hear & smell them on here:shifty:

Plagueridden
06-08-2010, 14:53

depends on his behaviour ofcourse :shifty:;)

Venkh
06-08-2010, 18:57
I like the staff member in my store but my complaint is about stock availability or lack thereof.

I wanted 3 boxes of marauders, a mounted chaos sorceror and a hellcannon (among other things).

They only had 2 boxes of marauders (seems to be the max they ever have)
The sorceror was direct only
The hellcannon was direct order

No wonder stores are withering on the vine. You can buy the direct order stuff from an in-store terminal they say.

I say I can buy it from a discounter if I want it delivered. The point of going to a store is that you get your stuff there and then and you get to chat to the staffer and throw about ideas as well.

This policy of restricting stores to holding a bare minimum of stock is killing them off. I can understand restricting inventory when buying from external suppliers but doing it internally is not really justified IMO.

If I need to mail order half the stuff I need for a new army, Im going to mail order the whole lot from a discounter and get a massive saving.

SharpSilver
06-08-2010, 19:05
Complaints about mine:

Too small.

Lack of functioning Air-Conditioning.

Shamutanti
06-08-2010, 21:40
It's still remarkably low- I think GW relies more on the love of the hobby to keep people working on such low wages, which they'll recoup due to the staff discount.

15k for a one man store + variable pay based upon target performance of 20% is the starting wage.

Because you're a full timer essentially (who normally earn 13k), and planning of events and running of the store is rather basic due to only having to manage yourself, paying 2k more seems reasonable.

Plus hitting targets each month means a meaty return at the end of the year.

blongbling
07-08-2010, 07:51
15k for a one man store + variable pay based upon target performance of 20% is the starting wage.

Because you're a full timer essentially (who normally earn 13k), and planning of events and running of the store is rather basic due to only having to manage yourself, paying 2k more seems reasonable.

Plus hitting targets each month means a meaty return at the end of the year.

a 20% bonus is ok but that will be the maximum return I am sure and will need a lot to achieve it; when you are only on £15k then that 20% is only £3k minus tax....that is still not great and certainly not meaty

Shamutanti
07-08-2010, 09:13
It's 20% based upon the performance of the store after target.

S if a store is suppose to earn 80k over a year, but actually makes 100k, you get 20% of the 20k.

Yunaris
07-08-2010, 13:18
My biggest complaint is just how tiny my local store is. Its crammed into the corner of a shopping center, barely able to squeeze in two full sized boards. Needs moar boards, especially after hearing the state of some other stores having 7 or 8.

Also, cheating space marine collecting children but thats not their fault, managements favourite selling target I would suspect.

Spyral
07-08-2010, 22:18
You cannot play a game of fantasy on a 4x4 table. It doesn't work.
Try fitting 2000pts of any decent army onto it then facing a 6 unit chaos army with 2 special characters... not fun :(

The Ape
07-08-2010, 22:37
It's 20% based upon the performance of the store after target.

S if a store is suppose to earn 80k over a year, but actually makes 100k, you get 20% of the 20k.

So, £4k before tax. STILL not that meaty :rolleyes: And that's only if you make a profit. Which is getting harder and harder.

Shamutanti
07-08-2010, 23:13
So, £4k before tax. STILL not that meaty :rolleyes: And that's only if you make a profit. Which is getting harder and harder.

*shrug*

I think profit depends upon the store, the manager and the staff. Don't end up in the **** stores. Play the smart cards.

If I could of started on 15k with potential for bonus when I initially began my apprentice position I wouldn't of shook my head at it. Because that's all you're doing in a 6th company store, learning the ropes as a full timer. There isn't much managering to do.

For someone whose 19, 20, 21, getting a wage like that isn't the worst thing in the world, especially if performance is rewarded and ends in greater wage packets because you then obviously jump 'up' the company bracket.

Tokugawa100
08-08-2010, 12:00
Im starting to think online shopping might be the answer, thought Id go in and buy some models to paint. Ive had this funny little compulsion to paint large models, especially of the daemon kind.

The stock has actually managed to become less, I asked the guy at the counter if they were still recieving GW stuff anymore.

I got the same answer I get everytime...

"Oh yeah, we had the shelves full a couple of days ago, Ive got more on order now".

Which is fine enough, I have the same problem at my own work "though at KMART we actually have no control about what stock will come in, nor do we get told when it will arrive"

My issue though is its all the time and from what I have been told from other staff, its simply lying.

Toddy
09-08-2010, 12:28
Couldn't agree more. Went into my local GW today (yeah, Doncaster) Is it still in the Connolades or whatever? Back of beyond if I remember rightly

Citizen Lame
09-08-2010, 15:40
Is it still in the Connolades or whatever? Back of beyond if I remember rightly

No, its on the high street. Just opposite the Danum Hotel, round the corner from Silver street. I think its just a bit smaller than the Collonnades store too.

magath
09-08-2010, 22:55
I say I can buy it from a discounter if I want it delivered. The point of going to a store is that you get your stuff there and then and you get to chat to the staffer and throw about ideas as well.

This policy of restricting stores to holding a bare minimum of stock is killing them off. I can understand restricting inventory when buying from external suppliers but doing it internally is not really justified IMO.
I think you've just summed up another issue with my local thats been bugging me recently. Until recently, one of the reasons I was prepared to bite the bullet and buy full price was simply for having the convenience of getting stuff when I wanted it, rather than waiting a week (yes, Im an impatient git). Not so much bothered about chatting to the staff for ideas as my favourite staffers have long since departed, but there is definitely something to be said for having it in your hand there and then.

Its not just direct only stuff, I have trouble getting hold of a lot of the things I want now. Wuffer terminators, for example, every time I go in, theres none in the shop. Ditto death company. Ditto Bestigors. Most of the time I get a shrug and a "we can order it into your house in a week". So my options are, order it in store and have it sent to my house in a week postage free, or get my mate to order it online for me at 20% off and have it sent to my house in a week, postage free. Given I normally spend upwards of £100, Its a bit of a no brainer isnt it?

Shamutanti
10-08-2010, 01:18
Given I normally spend upwards of £100, Its a bit of a no brainer isnt it?

Depends if you wanna support your local gw to be honest.

yabbadabba
10-08-2010, 09:37
So my options are, order it in store and have it sent to my house in a week postage free, or get my mate to order it online for me at 20% off and have it sent to my house in a week, postage free. Given I normally spend upwards of £100, Its a bit of a no brainer isnt it? Either way GW still gets its cash.

magath
10-08-2010, 12:14
Either way GW still gets its cash.
And thats fine, I have no problem with GW getting money for something they've produced. But all GW are doing is forcing my money down other routes rather than direct into their stores and causing inconvenience to the customer if they've made the effort to go in there to pick something up. If its at the point where I can't get the convenience of it in my hand there and then, sod it, I'll go elsewhere to order the same thing. GW doesnt get the same amount of cash as, given they charge full price, their missing out on money to cover things like overheads and staff wages.

The thing is, I would order with GW direct, but every time I have used them it has been a complete and utter fiasco, which is why I use the stores, but its getting to the point I can't even use the stores for what I need...

yabbadabba
10-08-2010, 12:29
And thats fine, I have no problem with GW getting money for something they've produced. But all GW are doing is forcing my money down other routes rather than direct into their stores and causing inconvenience to the customer if they've made the effort to go in there to pick something up. If its at the point where I can't get the convenience of it in my hand there and then, sod it, I'll go elsewhere to order the same thing. GW doesnt get the same amount of cash as, given they charge full price, their missing out on money to cover things like overheads and staff wages. Then that is something for the various heads of the retail businesses to decide to fight for. Blongbling has mentioned several times how much profit in GW is generated by the Trade departments; so as a whole GW gets its cash, and then the **** rolls downhill. The retail chaps will be told they aren't doing the job properly because somewhere, somehow, someone will be hitting target. Retail always gets the **** end of the stick no matter what company you are in.

blongbling
10-08-2010, 16:13
˄ ˄ pretty much this

Redman120185
12-08-2010, 04:28
I personally enjoy reading these threads because it gives me a since of what goes on out of my area especially guys from anywhere than the U.S. I live in the Houston area and would like to share my personal experience.
I have visited 3 FLGS and 2 GW stores trying to find one where I feel like I would enjoy playing if I decided to go somewhere (usually just play at home can relax and drink a brew,smoke etc.). So here goes

FLGS 1. Guys totally ignored me, when they didn't have a paint I was looking for didn't offer to order it, had to wait a few minutes to check out because he was busy finishing his turn. Will never go back there. Also very cramped.

FLGS 2. Person tried to be helpful, but didn't know very much about fantasy or 40k(he was a magic player). Place had 2 tables but was filled with magic players, so not really a fit for me. Good people though

GW 1. Kinda upscale neighborhood don't know if this had to do with anything,but the guy was a total dick. I had just gotten back into the hobby and came in with some questions to ask and he acted like I just asked him to move a mountain. When I asked what to do if I choose space wolves and wanted thunderwolf models, he told me to buy multiples of canis wolfborn! Store was nice,but I won't be giving that ****** any of my money.

FLGS 3. 8 tables lots of terrain guy running it was either hung over or really tired, because he was lethargic. He did answer questions if asked but offered nothing in return. I would go back there for a pickup game but not for any modellong advice/ painting tips/ talk about anything.

GW 2. Came in saw 6 full size tables decent size painting tables and was pretty sure some guy was going to pop up and say something along the lines of trading my soul to play here. Staff walked up were very knowledgable about the product, actually told me to get my brushes,clippers,etc. From a hobby store, told me of a great website to get magnets to reduce the total number of models I would need to buy, asked what I was wanting to do with my army
and made valid suggestions that were actually pertaining to me.he even told
me of a cheap and good looking model to use for wolves.

So in my opinion it really matters on the store our going to and the people
inside of these stores. Had I not tried to go to a few different stores I would
have never ever wanted to play at a local store unless it was for a tourney.
Everyone has an ******* an only some act like one, red shirt blue shirt pink shirt some smelly kid or dare I say our FLGS guy.

Jampire
12-08-2010, 07:46
Which stores were you at? I also live in Houston and am curious which to attend and which to avoid.

Redman120185
12-08-2010, 07:57
The 2 FLGS i didn't care for were skirmish games in Pasadena and one in Dickinson that I can't remember the name of. The GW store that I didn't like was in sugarland.

The good GW was off of westheimer over by I-10 and beltway west. Those guys were really nice and I felt really welcome.
The FLGS that wasn't bad was asguard games.they do a bunch of fantasy stuff there also.
I wouldn't mind playing at the sugarland store because it is a nice store, I just wouldn't spend any money there.
Where do you usually visit and have you found any good/bad stores?

fuzzy
13-08-2010, 00:58
Howdy,
I am also in Houston.
The FLGS in Dickinson was probably Predator Games.

The GW Copperwood Store on hwy6 by 529 is also quite nice as well and fairly large. I'd recommend swinging by there if you are looking to expand your horizons with cool knowledgeable staff and a nice location. They've got a lot of nice players and hobbyists there as well as the Royal Oaks store ( I think that was one of the ones you'd liked based on description). I used to float around between most of the GW stores in Houston, though not so much as of late unfortunately.

Redman120185
13-08-2010, 04:03
Yeh it was royal oaks. I can't remember the two guys I talked to, but they were awesome. My wife went in there around Christmas time when I was starting space wolves with a small list of things I was wanting including a novel. The guy was very nice to her didn't try to sell her extra crap, told her she could get the omnibus which included the first three space wolves novels for about the same price as a single, and even explained the game to her in a non omg your a girl kinda way. I don't typically get models from a store because certain online retailers give such a great discount, but for paints or certain models the online stores don't carry or really anything I want to see first I will happily give them my business. When I start my first fantasy army later this year I will definetly be going to that store.
I haven't been to the one off of 6 and 529 yet, but I will gve it a try. Also if your on the north side there is one off 249 that looks nice. And yeh it was predator games, guy wasn't a total jerk just didn't seem to interested in making a sale. Given the distance I usually have to travel I ended up making my own 6x4 when I don't feel like going an hour to royal oaks.

Duke Georgal
14-08-2010, 14:12
Depends if you wanna support your local gw to be honest.

Argh! Not this again.

Read carefully: WE are the consumers. It is the retailers responsibility to support US. To look at it the other way around is a totally warped point of view. NEVER "support" a retail store of any kind. They are in business, if they are good at it they will understand the needs of the consumer and have high enough sales to stay in business.

What will you get out of supporting your local GW? Do you think they would ever keep the store open if it was losing money to "support" you? No.

It is like loving your car. It is a waste of time because it will never love you back.

Making a charity purchase to support your local store is just as pointless. They are a business that is there to produce revenue. As a consumer you should DEMAND better service, better staff, better experience, and they better step up and deliver.

Why doesn't anyone undertsand the role of a consumer anymore?

Setha
14-08-2010, 14:46
I've never hada problem with my local store when i used to play regulary, could paint at the tables aslong as we ran over to tesco/sandwich shop for their lunch and such.Had a good community , not sure what it's like now though.

Toddy
16-08-2010, 17:12
Why doesn't anyone undertsand the role of a consumer anymore?Depends if you want your stores to be manned by efficient automations who just recognise your earlier purchases and calculate what you're most likely to buy, and plug that to you, or if you prefer... people.

I understand your grasp of the raw basics of capitalism, but I think most consumers want the best of both worlds - they want the pricings and accesibility of a supermarket, with the personality and product knowledge of the local butcher.

Neither extreme is going to be a good business.

Max Jet
16-08-2010, 17:43
Depends if you want your stores to be manned by efficient automations who just recognise your earlier purchases and calculate what you're most likely to buy, and plug that to you, or if you prefer... people.

I understand your grasp of the raw basics of capitalism, but I think most consumers want the best of both worlds - they want the pricings and accesibility of a supermarket, with the personality and product knowledge of the local butcher.

Neither extreme is going to be a good business.

What a naive view...

Do you honestly think as long as they get your money they won't try to cut down their costs? Only when there will be no money, they start to think and right now all tendencies goes towards cutting down the service. Throwing your money at them doesn't increase the service you get. They want your money and nothing else. As long as you give it to them, they will continue with plan A.

logan054
16-08-2010, 17:51
I have a problem with my new local GW, its never open and no one at GW seems to know when its actually open!

Shamutanti
16-08-2010, 18:10
I have a problem with my new local GW, its never open and no one at GW seems to know when its actually open!

Which GW is it?

logan054
16-08-2010, 18:23
Colchester

Shamutanti
16-08-2010, 18:55
Hmmm... I know why most of the current closed ones are, well, closed, but haven't heard anything 'bout Colchester.

My bet is there's no manager in the store, maybe due to him moving to a new store or leaving the company, and because it's a 1man(?) the only possible staff to fill it are blue shirts which would need to be yanked from the nearest 2nd company store.

So if there's lots of holidays booked in place or the 2nd company managers don't want to spare their staff because their priority is obviously, their store first, then it's simply just a case of waiting for a manager to appear.

The next batch of trainee managers should be getting placed into stores soon though for their trial period, so you might get it opened for a few weeks.

Haravikk
16-08-2010, 19:11
My local store is quite small meaning it can be very awkward to get around, but it doesn't really stop anyone much. I dunno, for the tiny space they've managed to fit a good sized gaming table, and some decent sized demo/game specific tables.

Still, the shop next door must be liberated from their non-Games Workshop drudgery!

IAMNOTHERE
16-08-2010, 19:25
A lot of stores have limited their hours now and stay closed on Mondays and tuesdays.

DarkReaver
17-08-2010, 16:43
Complaints about my local GW hm........... Not much comes to mind except the 2 Staffers that always insult me because of my choice of music.

Other than that my local store is pretty darn good.

logan054
17-08-2010, 23:25
A lot of stores have limited their hours now and stay closed on Mondays and tuesdays.

I cant think of a single successful retailer that closes many of its store two days a week, Every hour you close a store you lose a potential sale, The store I talk isnt just closed on Mondays or Tuesdays however. I would think with GW focus being on new blood they can't afford to close a store for a single day, the amount of people that walk past a store, the law of averages suggest that some of those may have bought something or at least walked in because they saw something that interested them.

IAMNOTHERE
17-08-2010, 23:33
And every hour you're open without a sale through the door is a loss.

Quite a few aren't opening in the mornings anymore but are opening in the evenings when the vets can make it in after work.

Salisbury is an exception wit the new manager scrapping vets night for some reason.

logan054
18-08-2010, 00:06
And every hour you're open without a sale through the door is a loss.

Quite a few aren't opening in the mornings anymore but are opening in the evenings when the vets can make it in after work.

Salisbury is an exception wit the new manager scrapping vets night for some reason.

You have to be open to make sales ;)

Wolf Scout Ewan
18-08-2010, 01:18
No complaints here... except a general one (not specific to any store) when they release new kits they should always have an open/display copy for you to examine.

If I am going to spend money on a new £30 kit I want to see the detail myself.

Mini77
18-08-2010, 01:20
No complaints here... except a general one (not specific to any store) when they release new kits they should always have an open/display copy for you to examine.

If I am going to spend money on a new £30 kit I want to see the detail myself.

Whenever I've asked they've opened one up and let me have a proper look.

IAMNOTHERE
18-08-2010, 08:11
You have to be open to make sales ;)

Yep you do but if you're paying a guy for 40 hrs work a week then you want that guy working when models are likely to be sold - 9 o'clock on a monday morning isn't that time.

Toddy
18-08-2010, 10:39
What a naive view...

Do you honestly think as long as they get your money they won't try to cut down their costs? Only when there will be no money, they start to think and right now all tendencies goes towards cutting down the service. Throwing your money at them doesn't increase the service you get. They want your money and nothing else. As long as you give it to them, they will continue with plan A.Whats naive about it? People support their local GWs because there's a very real threat of them closing up if there's not enough money coming through the door.

This isn't economics or capitalism, it's a very specific example of a store needing to take £XXXXX per month to justify it's continued existence.

logan054
18-08-2010, 12:36
Yep you do but if you're paying a guy for 40 hrs work a week then you want that guy working when models are likely to be sold - 9 o'clock on a monday morning isn't that time.

The extreme I had a issue with was going past the store and 5 days out of 7 it was closes rather than opening a hour later, however as most one man store are going to be my "managers" on a salary said person would be paid the same no matter if he worked 20 or 60hrs, your only additional cost is the power consumption of the store.

yabbadabba
18-08-2010, 12:47
I cant think of a single successful retailer that closes many of its store two days a week, Every hour you close a store you lose a potential sale, The store I talk isnt just closed on Mondays or Tuesdays however. I would think with GW focus being on new blood they can't afford to close a store for a single day, the amount of people that walk past a store, the law of averages suggest that some of those may have bought something or at least walked in because they saw something that interested them. GW have gone through periods of having certain stores closed at certain times. As business picks up they re-open them. When this happenes the only question will be whether the one man stores will become 2 man stores to open on those 2 closed days.

There is nothing new under the sun of Games Workshop.

blongbling
18-08-2010, 15:19
The extreme I had a issue with was going past the store and 5 days out of 7 it was closes rather than opening a hour later, however as most one man store are going to be my "managers" on a salary said person would be paid the same no matter if he worked 20 or 60hrs, your only additional cost is the power consumption of the store.

not true - over 37.5 hours a week and he cant work so therefore you would need more staff there.

logan054
18-08-2010, 15:34
not true - over 37.5 hours a week and he cant work so therefore you would need more staff there.

Whats not true, he can't work over 37.5 hrs a week? I thought the law was 45 actually and i know you could opt out of that, So I'm sorry you post is so vague that I am having to try and second guess what you getting at. If by chance you mean and extra employee then yes, if you wish to open 7 days a week you do need a extra staff member however you do not need someone who works 37.5hrs a week, you need someone who works two days a week and thus on a per day basis you expenses are no different. If you do need this additional staff member on a weekend it is because your sale warrant it.

I do have a rough idea of how retail works, I have worked in it since i was 17 and not just as a grunt, If GW feels everyone it employs has to work full then that is their problem, plenty of people are about looking for part time jobs. This can be for many reasons, someone might just want to work in GW for a few days a week for staff discount, someone may have college and only be available a few days.

*edit*

I thought I should add this in because I'm sure you are busy typing this, the other reason to have this extra staff is to run games which is more a calculated risk to help promote the products and help with customer retention. however the store is not that busy one weekend then clearly you do not need two staff members working 35,5 hours a week.

GW have gone through periods of having certain stores closed at certain times. As business picks up they re-open them. When this happenes the only question will be whether the one man stores will become 2 man stores to open on those 2 closed days.

There is nothing new under the sun of Games Workshop.

I actually meant it was 5 closed days :p

Kroot Lord
18-08-2010, 19:57
Concerning the "support your local GW store", does your view also concern the "support your local gaming store"? They've set up the tables and scenery and in some cases, paints, brushes and even green stuff for you to use. Would you consider it appropriate for me to go there twice a week, never buying anything, but always using their supplies and tables and such, making all my purchases at a 20% discount online?

logan054
18-08-2010, 21:18
I think if you used GW models it would be fine to play games of warhammer in your local GW regardless of the place you bought them, you should be able to play with the models you bought from the company in any of their stores. I would however say that if you started using modeling resources while never spending a penny in the store is a total **** take.

magath
20-08-2010, 17:29
So, I've just had a text from my cousin's mate who's a GW regular, apparently now you can't play in a certain store in Yorkshire after today (i'm not saying which one until I confirm it myself this weekend), and on games nights you have to supply your own scenery.

If this is right, and I'm not saying it is, I'm going off what he's told me, then thats killed off a lot of the incentive a lot of people have to go in.

Shamutanti
20-08-2010, 19:37
So, I've just had a text from my cousin's mate who's a GW regular, apparently now you can't play in a certain store in Yorkshire after today (i'm not saying which one until I confirm it myself this weekend), and on games nights you have to supply your own scenery.

If this is right, and I'm not saying it is, I'm going off what he's told me, then thats killed off a lot of the incentive a lot of people have to go in.

Hmmm. Would be intriguing to know.

Citizen Lame
20-08-2010, 19:45

Dammit, knowing my luck this will be Doncaster. :(

nedius
21-08-2010, 15:34
I throw this out for your thoughts and opinions rather than as a complaint...

Cambridge GW has now adopted a booking system. If you wish to use the hobby table, you have to book a slot (up to a max of one 3hr slot per day). This is because the number of spaces on the hobby table has been reduced from 10-12 to 6. If you want to use a game table, I've been informed you have to book one of those too, on a 1hr per 1000pts per side basis.

It means you can't just drop in anymore - you have to pre-arrange all games, and book a table in advance - for what ever your activity. A number of my friends who live a little distance from the GW and have up to an hour to travel to get there

Is this something people are seeing elsewhere?

Talos
21-08-2010, 15:45

Cambridge GW has now adopted a booking system. If you wish to use the hobby table, you have to book a slot (up to a max of one 3hr slot per day). This is because the number of spaces on the hobby table has been reduced from 10-12 to 6. If you want to use a game table, I've been informed you have to book one of those too, on a 1hr per 1000pts per side basis.

It means you can't just drop in anymore - you have to pre-arrange all games, and book a table in advance - for what ever your activity. A number of my friends who live a little distance from the GW and have up to an hour to travel to get there

Other than the hobby table which should be just a drop in thing. I actually see this as a good thing.
I dont understand the last bit about your friends surely if they have to travel an hour to get there then the booking is better as they know they will get a game.

On a different note, I have never been in a GW every and actually seen a pick up game going on. I have never actually seen anybody play Warhammer in a GW store other than intros.
So do you people just walk in with your army and wait around for someone else to play.
I think I just find it odd as the GW stores in london are tiny and dont even have 6x4 tables ( think oxford street does but that is it)

marv335
21-08-2010, 18:24

It's not that bad an idea.
I can't begin to count the amount of times I've turned up at the GW for a game, and not been able to get onto a table.
Booking a slot for a game would mean no more lost gaming time

Shamutanti
21-08-2010, 19:11

It's a pretty common system in most larger company stores.

The hobby table booking system is a good thing because otherwise you'll often find tables being booked up by the unemployed and those home educated kids.

The amount of GWs I've seen across the country that have the same ol' guys come in, take up a hobby table with all their stuff and barely use it is pretty horrible.

Booking tables is also pretty awesome because like mentioned, it garuntees you'll actually get a game! Pick up games -rarely- happen out of the blue unless they've been organised by a staff member. Pre-arranging is simply the way forward. It also stops people hogging tables because they've brought down alot of friends and allows other systems to get some air time. I've known multiple Lotr and Wotr gamers drawn off from GW stores because 40k players dominated the shop gaming space.

Chem-Dog
22-08-2010, 08:37
Staff wise my local GW is great, can't fault it at all.
One man store decisions and the idea to close at random times without notice (although this does seem to be getting a little better) annoy me, but it's not the local staff's fault at all.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Problem is, as I don't drive I'm reliant on busses to get me there, by the time I've payed bus fare I may as well mail-order the stuff. End result I don't visit my local store all that much any more :(

toonboy78
22-08-2010, 08:55

thanks for the warning on that. i haven't been down in a few months but there was a few times i went and couldn't get a game, and there were 1 or 2 table hogs.

i think this is a good thing overall and to be quite honest if they charged for it i wouldn't be too bothered either.

Crovax20
22-08-2010, 10:43
I don't visit my local GW as much as I did anymore. But when I did it was a very pleasant place where the staffers would just offer me advice. War of the Ring, was probably the only thing they tried to sell to me, however this wasn't pushy at all. I got to play a couple of games, get some quality time reading the book and I decided I liked it enough to buy it.

However as I have found out about a gaming store that is closer by and offers a broader selection of games that can be played (not only GW), I have moved over there. Last time I visited the GW a bunch of the old staffers had left and while I was trying to find a warrior priest model, the new staffers were trying to sell me Space Wolves/Space Marines. I just wanted to see if they had the warrior priest I was looking for, not to be goaded towards the spacemarine section of the store because I just HAD TO LOOK at some new space wolf stuff.

Calgar
22-08-2010, 11:16
After a long break in wargaming, aprox 6 years, one day when was shopping in my home town of Gothenburg/Sweden i decided to give the local GW store a visit, just to take in what was new,maybe get me some paints for my scale tanks etc.
In hindsight...i should never have gone there.

First of, it didn't take 30 seconds from when i entered the stor untill a staffer cam up and gave me the, from what i've read here, the usuall lip-service. " So, what's on you're shopping list today, those epic new space wolves perhaps?!"
I told him that i'm just browsing the store and i picked up a Battle Mission book and started casually looking through what was in it.
Then some other staffer comes up and asks me right to my face :
-" Are you gonna buy that"?
- "Uhm, no" I'd like to see what i'm actually buying first.
-" THEN DON'T FLIP THROUGH IT"!! "The back gets REEEEEEEAAAALLLY ugly."
I don't know if that staffer was pinned,stoned or just didn't have a good day( month, year or life for that matter)but that was no way to talk to a customer. And yelling for such a small thing as flipping through a book?

I promptly left the store bewildered, wondering what the hell had just happened.

This was in GW Gothenburg/ Sweden. Early August 2010.

logan054
22-08-2010, 14:54
It's not that bad an idea.
I can't begin to count the amount of times I've turned up at the GW for a game, and not been able to get onto a table.
Booking a slot for a game would mean no more lost gaming time

Well if this was the case I don't think I would ever have any reason to go into a GW, the only reason I go in is to buy paints and to play people I have never meet before. This is half the reason I actually got into the hobby, meeting new people, i wanted to arrange a game with someone I have a gaming board at home and i can have a few beers and something to eat while I'm playing without a time limit.

Grimtuff
22-08-2010, 22:28
I told him that i'm just browsing the store and i picked up a Battle Mission book and started casually looking through what was in it.
Then some other staffer comes up and asks me right to my face :
-" Are you gonna buy that"?
- "Uhm, no" I'd like to see what i'm actually buying first.
-" THEN DON'T FLIP THROUGH IT"!! "The back gets REEEEEEEAAAALLLY ugly."
I don't know if that staffer was pinned,stoned or just didn't have a good day( month, year or life for that matter)but that was no way to talk to a customer. And yelling for such a small thing as flipping through a book?

I promptly left the store bewildered, wondering what the hell had just happened.

Well, he did kindof have a point. If you break the spine on the book then it is unsellable. All you had to do was ask beforehand if you could look through it and 9 times out of 10 they'll say yes.

Calgar
23-08-2010, 10:22
Well, he did kindof have a point. If you break the spine on the book then it is unsellable. All you had to do was ask beforehand if you could look through it and 9 times out of 10 they'll say yes.

A friend of mine said they had a "demo" book of every codex before at GW Gothenburg, so that everyone that was interested could flip through that specific one.
And for some "clever" reason they stoped doing that.

Your're right that a book whit a broken spine would'nt sell very well, or not at all. I might be a stupid swede but not letting the customer actually see what he/she is supposed to pay up for is a tad strange in my world. Even though if i had asked first, i have a hard time believing that the books spine gets any less damaged just because i asked if i might read it.

Just a thought...:)

I'll try next time i've got to get me some paints and ask before reading one of their codexes.If they say no, i'll call in the inquisition:shifty:

Photographer
23-08-2010, 21:37
15 years ago they would badger you now they leave you in peace. :rolleyes:

RunepriestRidcully
24-08-2010, 20:40
After the feedback from my poll, I have to complain about GW Cheltenham not alowing me to play any specialist games instore.

Fredox
24-08-2010, 20:47
That would be a complaint about all GW's in the UK at least.

darkstar
24-08-2010, 21:41
No, fredox, it wouldn't be.

Essentially it comes down to table space. Many of the smaller stores choose not to allow specialist games, as the table space is limited.

RunepriestRidcully
24-08-2010, 22:17
Even though no one else was playing, or even in the store for that matter? and the store table can handle 2-3 games at a time, the other boards would take that number up to 7-8, but they are used for intro games (why WFB and LOTR/WOTR can't use the same table I don't know), so lack of space is not a problem. I will try asking the more reasonable member if we can do it, though the manager will proberbly say no, guess since GW does not allow any other games then the 3 core I will just try another company instead...(what me and a freind would have done without BFG, that or quit, there are only so many WFB and 40K games you can do against the same person with the same armies(even with list variation) before it gets boreing/slash they all seem the same, may still try and persuade him to try another system)

Shamutanti
24-08-2010, 22:17
No, fredox, it wouldn't be.

Essentially it comes down to table space. Many of the smaller stores choose not to allow specialist games, as the table space is limited.

Spec. games are, or at least, should, be banned in all stores, if they're following the rules set out for them.