PDA

View Full Version : Orkish Speed Freaks Codex

The Inevitable One
17-07-2010, 07:27
I was just trying to find some rules for a group of Orks called "Speed Freaks". Apparently there was a pdf file for them on the old Games Workshop website about two or three years ago, but since the refurvishment of the website, it does not appear to be on there. Does anyone have a link to a site or the link itself to the Speed Freaks rules/codex?

Corax
17-07-2010, 07:32
The Speed Freaks list was published in Codex: Armageddon, but I've got no idea if there is a (legal) PDF of it around. Its way out of date anyway.

For what its worth, the big difference was that everything had to be on vehicles, and when a squad broke, they ran for a transport and mounted-up, at which point they regrouped. It was kinda bizarre (and totally Orky).

Thud
17-07-2010, 08:03
You can basically make a Speed Freek army with the current codex. The big difference from the old Ork codex was that Speed Freeks got Trukk Boyz as Troops as well as (I think) Warbikers. Oh yeah, and they could give the Warboss a bike.

wickedvoodoo
17-07-2010, 08:53
Yep, with the new book there is absolutely no need for the old speed freekz list. You can cram in all the trukks and bikez you need into a regular FOC now.

It (the old freekz) was an evil evil list when it first came out. It had some really beardy combinations for a 3rd ed list. I remember recieving several **** kickings. However i have always liked the speed freekz so i maintained a soft spot for playing against them no matter how many times i lost.

Now i have a sort of speed freek army made from the new book. Its a mek konvoy really, there are a few heavier slower tanks, but the speed element is very prevalent. It highlights the power curve in 40k quite well to observe how units that were considered as sick as aids back then are just run of the mill units in the meta game now.

Billy
17-07-2010, 10:10
The new codex does speed freaks quite well, if not better than the armaggedon dex.

Trukks now have the ramshackle rule, orcs are now 6pts compared to 9, and your warboss and nobs can saddle up while toting around a pain boy.

I highly doubt the old speed freak rules are legal. You would also be playing with a handycap due to the current codex being far supperior.

If it would make you feel better just scribble "Spead Freaks" onto the cover of the current codex lol :D.

Sir_Turalyon
17-07-2010, 13:03
The only thing from Spped Freeks list that's really missing from Ork Codex is taking squadons of buggies / traks as troop choices. They would be less useful in 5th edition anyway as they don't score, althrough I miss option to spam 18 rokkit buggies for sheer fun.

Most other things that made that list interesting (Troop truk boyz/warbikers, biker warboss and nobz, Deth Koptas, big gun wagon) are availiable in current Codex, eighter straight or by taking Whazdakka.

Born Again
17-07-2010, 14:38
Don't forget the Fighta-Bomma Raid! But yeah, pretty much everything else can be done in the current book anyway.

Thoume
17-07-2010, 14:47
The armageddon list did have guntrukks has heavy support though, which have moved in some form or other into the imperial armour books (IA8 has them). Outriders were an interesting choice but Deffkoptas fill that role now. Fighta-Bommerz raid you probably couldn't use in the current rules with preliminary bombardment being taken out of them (unless you agreed with your opponent to use them).

Being able to take 0-1 tankbustas and 0-1 burnas as troops is kinda cool though... :D

Irondog
17-07-2010, 15:53
Being able to take 0-1 tankbustas and 0-1 burnas as troops is kinda cool though... :D

Yeah, having those guys be able to get their own dedicated rides was really nice. I remember doing quite a few drive-bys back in the day. All the aforementioned goodies, plus a Looted Basilisk or Leman Russ (a real one) was a nasty combo. Man, the Speed Freeks were mean as hell back then.

Thoume
18-07-2010, 22:39
Shame I never really got to use it back in the worldwide campaign. All I had was a random mish mash of un/part painted stuff that kept getting blasted away by steel legion. Fast forward a couple of years and I've started to get my ownback :D

LonelyPath
19-07-2010, 02:29
Your best bet in getting this list is to check Ebay regularly, I see Codex: Armageddon listed quite often, at least on the UK site.

DuskRaider
19-07-2010, 03:27
You CAN find some sites to DL it on, but it's not legal. Truthfully, you'd be better off with the current codex. It's got most of the options the Speed Freeks list had in some way or another, and also has some better ones.

sukigod
19-07-2010, 20:54
Don't forget - you could purchase KFF's as vehicles upgrades too!

Those were the days...

LonelyPath
19-07-2010, 23:14
Don't forget - you could purchase KFF's as vehicles upgrades too!

Those were the days...

I'd forgotten you could do that!

ForgottenLore
19-07-2010, 23:26
If it would make you feel better just scribble "Spead Freaks" onto the cover of the current codex lol :D.

In red.

That way the book will go faster.

MajorWesJanson
19-07-2010, 23:35
Be sure to wear rose tinted glasses so you can read faster too :D

GrogDaTyrant
20-07-2010, 01:14
Yeah, having those guys be able to get their own dedicated rides was really nice. I remember doing quite a few drive-bys back in the day. All the aforementioned goodies, plus a Looted Basilisk or Leman Russ (a real one) was a nasty combo. Man, the Speed Freeks were mean as hell back then.

Yeah, they certainly were. A lot more than the makeshift KOS with the current codex. The ability to auto-regroup upon hitting an open transport shouldn't be discounted either. Of course, that was back in the days before the Orks had the morale issues they do now. There were also the awesome Gun-trukks, which had Zzap Guns (the ridiculous auto-hit version). Anti-Tank wasn't the issue it is now.

Metaphorazine
20-07-2010, 12:09
Biggest and best difference between Freakz and the current codex in my opinion was falling back to the nearest empty death-trap, I mean, trukk. So very orky... The fact you can do Freakz so well with the current codex is a demonstration of how good a codex we got. :)