PDA

View Full Version : 'High-low-med' Fantasy

Wakerofgods
18-07-2010, 10:20
Reading over on the rumor threads about warhammers possible expansion in 2011 to include castles and larger monsters for 'epic' level games, I was thinking about our lack of ('official') options in the scale of fantasy in our games.

I was thinking we should have some option (roughly) like this:

Low fantasy:
10%lords
10%heroes
10%either lords or heroes
40%min core (with a short list of FAQ exceptions where needed)
25%special
15%rare
Possible 0-1 restriction on large targets per full X points.

Med fantasy:
As current (and this is what you would use for a 'pickup' game and most tournaments would be expected to use it game balance would be play tested around this).

High fantasy:
I would say the same %s as med fantasy but with the units from the new expansion (if it indeed exists) allowed.

TL;DR (/summery):
My thoughts are basically that this new expansion in 2011 looks like an optional 'high fantasy' expansion with bigger monsters and all that wouldn't it also be nice to have a 'low' fantasy option too?

I'm aware house ruling something like this is an option, and I might give this a try with my friends. But for now I'd like to discuss the impacts and possible implementations of GW doing this officially.

LordZombie
18-07-2010, 11:18
I enjoy playing games of fantasy of all sizes. From small skirmish to epic battles. I do wonder if GW will redo the rules for warbands and skirmish. I figure there will be a book for epic battle much like 40K recieved. Can't wait to see what is in store for fantasy.

Wakerofgods
18-07-2010, 22:22
I enjoy playing games of fantasy of all sizes. From small skirmish to epic battles. I do wonder if GW will redo the rules for warbands and skirmish. I figure there will be a book for epic battle much like 40K recieved. Can't wait to see what is in store for fantasy.

I would love a new 'mordhiem' game! Or at the least a good set of rules for warhammer skimish that we can then adapt the mordhiem leveling/purchasing system too.

senso
18-07-2010, 23:40
IMO the percentage splits means fantasy scales really well either way - it doesn't need a 40k kill team style rule set to keep people playing core units and low level characters in smaller games.

Orcboy_Phil
19-07-2010, 00:34
Surely the rules for a low fantasy game would look more like this:

Ignore Warhammer Armies: Dwarfs, Dark Elves, High Elves, Wood Elves, Beastmen, Lizarmen, Warriors of Chaos, Chaos Deamons, Tomb Kings, Vampire Counts, Ogre Kingdoms, Orc and Goblins.

May only take the Biting Blade and Enchanted Shield magic items

No Mages or other form of magic user

No Mounts other than Horses

No Steam Tanks

GirathonB
19-07-2010, 06:24

Ignore Warhammer Armies: Dwarfs, Dark Elves, High Elves, Wood Elves, Beastmen, Lizarmen, Warriors of Chaos, Chaos Deamons, Tomb Kings, Vampire Counts, Ogre Kingdoms, Orc and Goblins.

No Steam Tanks
There's a difference between low fantasy and no fantasy.

xxRavenxx
19-07-2010, 09:25
Low fantasy would presumably a small quantity of highelves having a streetfight with some human militia in swansea? :P

Lungboy
19-07-2010, 09:46
TL;DR (/summery):
My thoughts are basically that this new expansion in 2011 looks like an optional 'high fantasy' expansion with bigger monsters and all that wouldn't it also be nice to have a 'low' fantasy option too?

I'm aware house ruling something like this is an option, and I might give this a try with my friends. But for now I'd like to discuss the impacts and possible implementations of GW doing this officially.

I'm not sure you understand the difference between Low and High Fantasy. Having an entirely fictional world, full of Elves, Goblins, Undead, Magic etc. makes the Warhammer world very much High Fantasy, no matter how much you restrict the units.

Wakerofgods
19-07-2010, 10:40
I'm not sure you understand the difference between Low and High Fantasy. Having an entirely fictional world, full of Elves, Goblins, Undead, Magic etc. makes the Warhammer world very much High Fantasy, no matter how much you restrict the units.

Ah ok sorry I guess I used the wrong term...although I'm uncertian - my understanding was that the term low fantasy was pretty loose?

Anyway I meant less giant monsters, epic heroes and mages. Sorry for the wrong term which did seem to confuse some people - reading through the replies I guess I must have gotten it wrong.

I wasn't just thinking of this for smaller games - if I was your right the % system would kick in just fine. I was mainly thinking of a more 'official' % system backing up the idea that large monsters, lord fighters and mages are a little rarer then warhammer armies currently makeout.

Leogun_91
19-07-2010, 13:13

No Steam TanksDwarfs with runes and gyrocopters removed fit well with low fantasy, they are more low fantasy then grail knights.

I'm not sure you understand the difference between Low and High Fantasy. Having an entirely fictional world, full of Elves, Goblins, Undead, Magic etc. makes the Warhammer world very much High Fantasy, no matter how much you restrict the units.It can still be low fantasy it is mainly dependent on how common these things are, warhammer shift between different heights of fantasy it seems, sometimes making wizards and magic rare while at other times making clashes of monsters, wizards and extreme elites commonplace.

xxRavenxx
19-07-2010, 13:51
Low fantasy by definition exists entirely within the real world, with slight supernatural alterations. Eg. Dracula is low fantasy. The world works as normal but theres a single supernatural thing roaming about.