PDA

View Full Version : Would you start a new army with half or less of the unit roster?

CrystalSphere
18-07-2010, 18:15
Well here is the thing, with the new release of island of blood iīve been tempted into starting a skaven skryre army. The problem is iīve already have other horde army (o&g) and i donīt want to spend too much money into an "incomplete army", i will explain what i mean to say with that.

I like the skryre fluff and their warlock-engineers and warmachines, but i donīt like the rest of clans or their units (except eshin perhaps). So if i was to collect a skaven army, i would miss a lot of unit options just because they donīt fit with my idea. It is a bit like if someone wants to play dwarves, but donīt want to use any warmachine. Or if someone wants to play wood elves, but donīt like the forest spirits.

I was wondering what other people would do in that case, would you start that army, knowing that you will only use a portion of it? You can always have some "count as" units thought. Or you would only pick an army that you know for sure you will be using the full (or nearly full) roster of units? Iīve some armies where i donīt like some units (for examples i donīt like the high elf lion chariot, and i donīt use it, but it is not a big deal as that chariot is not what defines the army) but iīve never liked only a small part of a whole army.

Thanks in advance.

mrtspence
18-07-2010, 18:17
Well, my Woodelf army has been reduced to Treekin, Glade Guard, and Treemen, so yes. Feel free to use whichever units you want from an army--in your case, a themed army (Skyre, Khorne, etc.) can be quite stunning on the battlefield.

chivalrous
18-07-2010, 18:45
Every army I field using the Dark Elf book has a strict restriction on what units I can (and can't) use.
For instance, my Har Ganeth City Guard army only uses Hags (with or without Cauldron), Assassins, Harpies*, Witch Elves, Executioners and warriors (as I have to field core). Very rarely, I might take a Manticore along.

My Raiders army only contains Nobles, Corsairs, Dark Riders, Shades and Bolt Throwers and 0-1 hero level Sorceress.

Sorceress bodyguard contains Sorceresses, 0-1 Noble, Warriors (spears or crossbows), Black Guard**, 0-1 Cold One Knights, 1 Assassin per Sorceress**, 0-1 Hydra***

My point is that lots of players field themed lists with a restricted pool of units with varying degrees of success. If you trawl through the Army list section of this forum, you might find someone else who has gone with a Skryre theme and can give you some inspiration in either proxying units or advice in getting the best from what units you're restricting yourself to.
Plague Censer bearers for instance could instead be radioactive, warpstone-infused ratmen, the result of a Warlock Engineers mad experiment gone explodey and these rats are the survivors. Rather than poisoning their opponents with bacteria or toxins, these guys give their opponents radiation poisoning.
(actually I might start my own Skaven army based on radioactive rats, Rat Ogres could giant green Hulk rats and I can model a Grey Seer with a massive brain á lá the Leader :p)

*Background says they're reincarnated Witch Elves ;)
**Malekith will want his brides properly protected.
*** I know, Hydras are teh Wensleydale, but considering how powerful Sorceresses are, they'll be able to afford to raise one, especially the Spelleater variant.

Orangecoke
18-07-2010, 18:46
Totally! I'm running a pure khorne woc force - there are a lot of things in the book I'm not using at all!

Ultimate Life Form
18-07-2010, 18:55
Take a look at ULF's Pestilent Horde. I sorta have the same problem as you. What did I do? Go all-out Pestilens and have fun. I think all the Clans are able to hold up on their own (though Eshin may have some trouble), just don't expect miracles and be aware you're cutting down your own options. You're playing an unbalanced list. This decreased variety means you'll do better against some and worse against others. You can however take this as an interesting challenge. Though in all honesty I'm not concerned about Skryre because their 'in case of doubt shoot' mentality should really do well against everything.

Karlon
18-07-2010, 19:15
I almost made an Empire army with no state army, just a Sigmarite zealot force, so lots of militia, flagellants, warrior priests, etc. I decided against it in the end because it was a bit too restricting.

Going skryre heavy isn't a huge problem though - you can build a solid army without Plague Monks, Censers, Rat Ogres and the Abomination. In fact, many of the more powerful units are Skrye builts, so don't sweat. If thats what you want to do - go for it.

Just don't use it as an excuse to build another boring gunline!

bigcheese76
18-07-2010, 19:24
I refuse to have anything not on a horse in my Bretonnia army, meaning alot of the army book unit choices are locked to me. I really like playing the army and have very few problems.

CrystalSphere
18-07-2010, 21:13
Thanks for the advice guys. I was mostly worried about ending up with a too shooty army, and maybe getting bored of the army too quickly as it always would play the same. But I like the horde style of the skaven (i dislike having too many elites) and i think an army full of clanrats with several skryre toys and warlocks may be the thing for me. I have to confess thinking about it as a themed army does give me more interest than just thinking about another plain skaven army.

Maybe what i will do is to try to keep the army not too big, so i donīt have to spam too many of the same units just to reach the point level.

One more question thought, the only lord level character of clan skryre that exists right now is a special character (Ikit claw), i donīt think he is too unbalanced, but would you mind facing a special character like that in a themed army?
If i canīt use him i think i will try a grey seer or may be go crazy and use a warlock as general, now that reminds me of the amazing night goblin generals :p

Ultimate Life Form
18-07-2010, 21:16
In fact I believe a themed list is the only case where a special character is justifiable.

theunwantedbeing
18-07-2010, 21:29
You cant be guaranteed to like every part of an army, there will be things you like and things you dont.

You'll collect an army made from as much of the things you like and as few of the things you dont (usually none unless they are a core requirement).

Nothing wrong with it. :)

jamano
19-07-2010, 03:01
Thanks for the advice guys. I was mostly worried about ending up with a too shooty army, and maybe getting bored of the army too quickly as it always would play the same. But I like the horde style of the skaven (i dislike having too many elites) and i think an army full of clanrats with several skryre toys and warlocks may be the thing for me. I have to confess thinking about it as a themed army does give me more interest than just thinking about another plain skaven army.

Maybe what i will do is to try to keep the army not too big, so i donīt have to spam too many of the same units just to reach the point level.

One more question thought, the only lord level character of clan skryre that exists right now is a special character (Ikit claw), i donīt think he is too unbalanced, but would you mind facing a special character like that in a themed army?
If i canīt use him i think i will try a grey seer or may be go crazy and use a warlock as general, now that reminds me of the amazing night goblin generals :p
Whats your opinion on things modeled as clan skyre but not strictly them? The rat ogres from the island of blood are a good example, its a moulder unit but covered in pistons and whatnot from clan skyre(cause they bought them from moulder) In that same vein you could use a warlord and give him gear he would get from skyre and say he's a clan skyre warlord, they do need their generals after all.

Thalenchar
19-07-2010, 10:47
*agrees with ULF* I think a themed list would be the only time I definitely would never ever have a problem with a special character. In fact, some of the coolest themed lists I've seen are build around a special character.

Odin
19-07-2010, 11:27
The armies which restrict themselves to certain unit types around a particular theme are almost invariably more characterful than armies that just have a bit of everything.

Skyre have a pretty big variety of troops available to them, so I don't think you'd be limiting yourself too much. And a pure Skyre army would look awesome.

CrystalSphere
19-07-2010, 11:53
Whats your opinion on things modeled as clan skyre but not strictly them? The rat ogres from the island of blood are a good example, its a moulder unit but covered in pistons and whatnot from clan skyre(cause they bought them from moulder) In that same vein you could use a warlord and give him gear he would get from skyre and say he's a clan skyre warlord, they do need their generals after all.

I have no problems about count as units, as long as they fit the rest of the army and they are not "forced" just to add something that the army is lacking.

For example i am thinking about including a unit of night runners with a warpgrinder (a skryre machine) to have something to attack enemy warmachines. Because night runners donīt skirmish, they could pass as troops from any clan. I also prefer their more earthly stats rather than the too elite stats of the gutter runners.

Iīm not sure yet about rat ogres, but the new models are definitely nice. As you say it wouldnīt be too difficult to just add some tech to them to look more like the rest of the clan. I guess i will know once i see the models in person.

About the warlords you are completely right, i kinda got focused with warlocks but iīve been reading the skaven army book and is obvious that clan skryre would have itīs fighters and magic users. The only thing the warlords would need is to have enough tech on them to look skryre enough.