PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Spawn

Smiling Banshee
19-07-2010, 15:53
Just wondered how Chaos Spawn fare in WFB. Ive got some wonderfully converted and painted Spawn from my CSM army which never see the light of day because they re so poor in 40k. Are they any better in Fantasy?

Soul of Iron
19-07-2010, 15:56
Not much better bro. They can tie units up in cc for a short while but the new step-up rule will be putting more attacks on them then before so they will die faster.

Scyla is pretty good though.

Odin
19-07-2010, 16:04
Not much better bro. They can tie units up in cc for a short while but the new step-up rule will be putting more attacks on them then before so they will die faster.

Scyla is pretty good though.

Agree with this. They used to be pretty handy for holding enemy units up for a turn, but the new combat rules mean they die far too easily to be very useful.

Of course, I'm still quite new to 8th edition rules, so maybe someone will come up with a use for them. I guess as they're cheap rare options you could take more of them now (as slots are gone), in which case they might make decent enough speedbumps. Though hounds would do the same job for half the points and not take up any of your rare allowance.

I think they ought to have mutant regeneration like Chaos Trolls. That would really suit them, fluff-wise, and would also do just enough to make them useful again.

NecroNurgle
19-07-2010, 16:12
Agree with this. They used to be pretty handy for holding enemy units up for a turn, but the new combat rules mean they die far too easily to be very useful.

Of course, I'm still quite new to 8th edition rules, so maybe someone will come up with a use for them. I guess as they're cheap rare options you could take more of them now (as slots are gone), in which case they might make decent enough speedbumps. Though hounds would do the same job for half the points and not take up any of your rare allowance.

I think they ought to have mutant regeneration like Chaos Trolls. That would really suit them, fluff-wise, and would also do just enough to make them useful again.

You actually can't take any more than you used to. You're still limited to four, but now they don't eat a slot that might have been a hellcannon.
But, as you say, who cares? They don't do much of anything. Since they're on the same base size, I have taken to running mine as chaos trolls in a "spawn herd". The rules pretty much fit. And they look a hell of a lot cooler.

SkawtheFalconer
19-07-2010, 16:15
The only plus they have over hounds is they are unbreakable and immune to panic. This makes them fairly useful as mini-anvil speedbumps (particularly if you have lots of them), but agree with other posters, they aren't spectacular in 8th.

Smiling Banshee
19-07-2010, 16:16
Thanks for the replies guys, and thanks for the idea NecroNurgle I think ill try that.

xxRavenxx
19-07-2010, 16:17
Theyre under-par but not useless. They dont do too badly vs. "swarm" troops. Elite ones obliterate them.

The nice one I like, is that you can park them at an angle, and use them to block incoming charges from enemy units. If they charge the spawn, they'll end up side on to one of your units, and get hit hard.

Again, not brilliant, but with uses, and if you like the models, you can do worse with army selections. (The demon prince comes to mind... bless his useless cotton socks).

Eta
19-07-2010, 16:17
Especially Slaanesh marked Spawns were not bad in the last edition, a bit on the expensive side but almost guaranteed to pin a not too heavily armoured unit. Now they are subpar, because they can be killed easily in CC.

Greetings
Eta

Urgat
19-07-2010, 16:32
Though hounds would do the same job for half the points and not take up any of your rare allowance.

Hounds aren't unbreakable, I don't count how many times the damn spwans held a unit for one more turn because of one stupid wound left >> I often face two, and imho they're very efficient for what they do. Plus they're T5, they're not that easy to kill.

Odin
19-07-2010, 16:52
Hounds aren't unbreakable, I don't count how many times the damn spwans held a unit for one more turn because of one stupid wound left >> I often face two, and imho they're very efficient for what they do. Plus they're T5, they're not that easy to kill.

Was that in 8th edition though? Twice as many attacks coming at the spawn now, so the odds of it surviving are much reduced. And if the spawn doesn't survive the first round of combat, it hasn't done anything a unit of hounds couldn't do.

You actually can't take any more than you used to. You're still limited to four, but now they don't eat a slot that might have been a hellcannon.
But, as you say, who cares? They don't do much of anything. Since they're on the same base size, I have taken to running mine as chaos trolls in a "spawn herd". The rules pretty much fit. And they look a hell of a lot cooler.

Very good point! Whoops.

I like the idea of fielding them as trolls though, especially as the chaos troll models are so hideous (and not in a good way).

Urgat
19-07-2010, 16:56
Was that in 8th edition though? Twice as many attacks coming at the spawn now, so the odds of it surviving are much reduced. And if the spawn doesn't survive the first round of combat, it hasn't done anything a unit of hounds couldn't do.

Well, I don't see my gobs killing one in one turn, two ranks attacking or not. Hounds, on the other hand... :p

Avian
19-07-2010, 17:32
Enemies now can't flee from Spawn charging them, that at least made them worth considering.

Witchblade
19-07-2010, 18:44
I used Scyla to deter march blockers and harassment units behind my lines or in woods. He could also serve as an anvil, although in practice he didn't function as such very often.

With march blocking gone, more reliable anvils in the WoC list, forests no longer slowing movement and the catastrophic nerfs to most harassment units, I think spawns are completely redundant in an army with at least one hellcannon and some warhounds.