PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy player wants to start Dark eldar

CrystalSphere
20-07-2010, 13:18
I am a veteran fantasy player but i always liked the dark eldar of wh40k (i specially like their fluff about slaanesh and their souls), i thought about getting started in 40k several times but as their book and miniatures were very old i have been waiting until they are redone.

I have read that the dark eldar are being redone in this autumn, and i was wondering if it would be worth to get the current dark eldar book, mostly for fluff reasons, to read the stories and all that. Or maybe i should simply wait until the new book (maybe the fluff will be changing with the new book?).

As i am a complete noob to wh40k, i donīt really know how much change in each codex or if there is anything i should be aware before starting dark eldar, as to which miniatures will be redone and what not, or how many miniatures does an average army has (i donīt know how "elite" the dark eldar army is). I would appreciate any advice or tip about starting dark eldar and what i should know beforehand.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Simo429
20-07-2010, 13:33
If you are reading it purely for the fluff then its up to you

CrystalSphere
20-07-2010, 15:13
Yes i guess you are right, i will try and have a look at the book to see if there is any good reading there. Do you happen to know if there is any black library book or other source i could look up as well?

If i understand correctly dark eldar are pretty much like the chaos dwarves of fantasy, which they havenīt received any update since a long time. Iīm concerned that the new book may completely revamp the old background (GW did something like that with wood elves in fantasy) and the current background would become obsolete.

Malice313
20-07-2010, 15:18
I've always love the DE too and have been waiting for the re-release for ages.

They really are an alpha strike army. You go in and go in hard. If you have a job for a unit-send 4 and some Warp Beast.

"The Violence of Action" is the idea behind US manvouer warfare. The idea is to make you enemy reluctant to move and your superior speed can intercept, isolate and infiltrate through the breech.

"Fair Fights" are to be avoided at all costs. An Attack of less than 4-1 is a mistake- big mistake! Wipe out each unit as it sticks its head up with as much fire-power as you can muster then assault to clean up. In this way you are setting the tempo of the battle.

If he is just plugging holes, you can exploit thinnly defended lines and ignore dug in which units unlikely to come out of defences until way to late in the game (if at all).

Excuse typing... on strong pain killers:angel:

Simo429
20-07-2010, 15:24
Yes i guess you are right, i will try and have a look at the book to see if there is any good reading there. Do you happen to know if there is any black library book or other source i could look up as well?

If i understand correctly dark eldar are pretty much like the chaos dwarves of fantasy, which they havenīt received any update since a long time. Iīm concerned that the new book may completely revamp the old background (GW did something like that with wood elves in fantasy) and the current background would become obsolete.

Dark Eldar feature in the first Deathwatch novel and at the start of the Iron Snakes novel and in the second of the word bearers novels

Shab
20-07-2010, 17:58
i was wondering if it would be worth to get the current dark eldar book, mostly for fluff reasons, to read the stories and all that. Or maybe i should simply wait until the new book (maybe the fluff will be changing with the new book?).

It's your call. You should know that the current codex is very small and contains very little fluff.

As i am a complete noob to wh40k, i donīt really know how much change in each codex or if there is anything i should be aware before starting dark eldar, as to which miniatures will be redone and what not, or how many miniatures does an average army has (i donīt know how "elite" the dark eldar army is). I would appreciate any advice or tip about starting dark eldar and what i should know beforehand.

The entire range is rumoured to get redone. Current DE armies typically consist of multiple units on transports, supported by ravagers (gunships), Taloi (monstrous creatures) and the odd footslogger unit with heavy weapons. They are not elite and they are not quite horde, a typical 1500 army might include 40-60 infantry-sized models and 5-7 vehicles.

A lot of this may change, of course, we'll have to wait for the new dex.

Cuchulain84
20-07-2010, 18:01
You can pick the codex up from ebay for a few quid so I say dooo eeet!

Lothlanathorian
20-07-2010, 19:07
I've always love the DE too and have been waiting for the re-release for ages.

They really are an alpha strike army. You go in and go in hard. If you have a job for a unit-send 4 and some Warp Beast.

"The Violence of Action" is the idea behind US manvouer warfare. The idea is to make you enemy reluctant to move and your superior speed can intercept, isolate and infiltrate through the breech.

"Fair Fights" are to be avoided at all costs. An Attack of less than 4-1 is a mistake- big mistake! Wipe out each unit as it sticks its head up with as much fire-power as you can muster then assault to clean up. In this way you are setting the tempo of the battle.

If he is just plugging holes, you can exploit thinnly defended lines and ignore dug in which units unlikely to come out of defences until way to late in the game (if at all).

Excuse typing... on strong pain killers:angel:

Unfortunately, this informative post must be ignored until late this Fall. Since there is a new Codex coming out and it'll be their second ever and it's been 13 years in the making, we can't say for sure what kind of army DEldar are going to become, only what they've been. As GW has shown us with some its recent codices, some armies can change drastically. I'd say it is a safe bet that they'll still play the same, but we know they won't. The Codex will be updated, have new rules, etc. So, best to wait before thinking tactics.

As for buying the 'current' Codex, why waste the money? It will be obsolete in a few months, it contains what amounts to no fluff, just like all the first run 3rd Ed. Codices and, when the new one comes out, everything you could want will be in that one.

So, at this point, I'd say pick up the few novels they are mentioned in, save your money and, when they hit, be ready :D

CrystalSphere
20-07-2010, 22:14
Thanks all for the advice, I didnīt know that the current book was so scarce in fluff, i have a tendency of buying old books from armies i collect (in fantasy the older books usually have more complete fluff info).

I will check ebay to see if i can grab the book at a cheap price, otherwise as you have recommended i think it is best to save money and spent it where it willl really matter after a few months (the wait is almost over :P)

Meanwhile i asked a friend of mine that plays 40k and he told me to look up for a short story called the torturer or something along those lines. He said that piece was one of the best (outside of black library of course). I will try and see if i can find it.