PDA

View Full Version : I'm having Fun!!!

Adjustquantity
21-07-2010, 12:18
I am having Fun with 8th Edition. In fact I'm having so much fun that I've decided to stop playing 40K and pretty much only play Fantasy! and I love beer and pretzels. :evilgrin:

Anyone else having as much fun as me! Like as much fun as a cat with catnip yo!

Ultimate Life Form
21-07-2010, 12:22
If this new edition can win back players from 40K it far surpasses my expectations. In spite of all the initial whining the new game seems to prove quite the success. A much needed boost. I too enjoyed the few games I had so far.

HerrDusty
21-07-2010, 12:27
I didn't even glance at Fantasy when I started playing 40K, I had no interest in it whatsoever.

Now, since 8th edition has come out, for some reason I've taken a serious interest in it, fired by the fact GW has FAQed the entire range of armybooks in one fell swoop on release of the new rules (this blew my mind, if only they'd do this for 40K!), and some of the new rules sound very fun.

I also started reading the Skaven armybook, and I love the flavour of it and their downright barmy randomness, so I think Skaven is the army for me!

Zaustus
21-07-2010, 12:31
I only get to play once a week at best, so I've only gotten two games of 8th in so far, but I'm having a great time with it. I really like most of the changes they've made to the game, and stuff like the new common magic items has even re-invigorated army list building (something I do almost compulsively).

Now if only I could get games more often...

Remadia
21-07-2010, 13:43
I totally agree! :) This new edition has reinvigorated the players here and we are all loving it.

naerobi
21-07-2010, 14:13
I know a group of friends who have dropped board game night to bring out their fantasy armies again with the new rules, that was big for them! haha, Dracula will have to wait!

shelfunit.
21-07-2010, 14:40
I do not enjoy the new game. Wargames are not meant to be fun. They are serious business. I want to excercise my tactical mastery over my opponent, not prat about with magic and REDICULOUS scenery.

GW have let us veterans down. Why have they done two FAQs?

I'm going to go sell my war hydras, and play Warmachine instead. Good day sir.

I can only hope my sarcasm senses tingled for a good reason here...

Lord of the End Times
21-07-2010, 15:23
I do not enjoy the new game. Wargames are not meant to be fun. They are serious business. I want to excercise my tactical mastery over my opponent, not prat about with magic and REDICULOUS scenery.

Oh deary me. I've been doing it wrong all these years? I was under the impression that games were supposed to be fun. Silly me... ;)

GodlessM
21-07-2010, 15:30
I can only hope my sarcasm senses tingled for a good reason here...

It's hard to tell with that guy.

Deon
21-07-2010, 15:40
well i have had only one game so far, and i realy liked the new changes,
we both had alot of fun, and the game it self
felt less static, and was more thrilling, cause you don't now if you can make that charge
or can cast that spell.
In my opinion the changes are for the better

xxRavenxx
21-07-2010, 16:24
It's hard to tell with that guy.

Isn't it just :)

[edit]: Ps. You told me that you have me on ignore. So... erm... stop reading my posts? :P

badguyshaveallthefun
21-07-2010, 18:30
I too have come over from the 40k side. 8th is in every way how I imagine fantasy to be, (lots of infantry with magic/cavalry/monster/warmachine support) and I haven't looked back.
Way to go GW, you actually did something right.

Bac5665
21-07-2010, 18:42
8E may be the best beer and pretzel game ever. It plays much faster, takes less time to decide what to do, and there are many, many times, where a single d6 roll will feel tense because everything rides on it.

Of course, I think every one of those characteristics is a terrible, terrible thing. I liked games taking a long time because I'm thinking about what I'm doing. I like games where the tense moment comes not from a dice roll but from seeing whether or not I or my opponent guess right on a charge range or something. I like games where I feel like I won, rather than the dice favoring me tonight.

So far, not one those things has felt right about 8E, at least compared to 7E. This is not to say that it's not fun, but hey, even I like beer and pretzel games for at least a month or so. If the fun can keep up, great. I really hope it can. But I've been through this exact thing with other beer and pretzel games too many times...

Damocles8
21-07-2010, 20:14
8E may be the best beer and pretzel game ever. It plays much faster, takes less time to decide what to do, and there are many, many times, where a single d6 roll will feel tense because everything rides on it.

Of course, I think every one of those characteristics is a terrible, terrible thing. I liked games taking a long time because I'm thinking about what I'm doing. I like games where the tense moment comes not from a dice roll but from seeing whether or not I or my opponent guess right on a charge range or something. I like games where I feel like I won, rather than the dice favoring me tonight.

So far, not one those things has felt right about 8E, at least compared to 7E. This is not to say that it's not fun, but hey, even I like beer and pretzel games for at least a month or so. If the fun can keep up, great. I really hope it can. But I've been through this exact thing with other beer and pretzel games too many times...

Ah my games have felt more tactical than in 7th, my general strategy damn near disappeared, so I reacted to the dwindling situation and pulled the day on my own....

DisasterMaster
21-07-2010, 20:39
I like games where I feel like I won, rather than the dice favoring me tonight.

I like the more prominent random factors the dice provide in 8th. Strategy is still key and plays a big factor in who wins, but lets face it, with no randomness the game feels more like chess. I play skaven, usually with a pretty heavy skryre themed list, and so whether or not the dice favor me is a pretty big deal. This provides for severe fun, as the unpredictability makes every game very unique. Example:

Skaven warpfire thrower shoots into combat, melting some slaves and a whole bunch of longbeards. Aghast opponent: HOLY **** THAT THING IS DOMINATION!!!!

Next turn warpfire missfires, running into a unit of jezzails and burning them all in blast template destruction. Ammused opponent: Oh ok i guess that things ok.

What's more important, winning or having a good time? If you have a good time, even the loser wins.

Bac5665
21-07-2010, 20:42
I like the more prominent random factors the dice provide in 8th. Strategy is still key and plays a big factor in who wins, but lets face it, with no randomness the game feels more like chess.

Exactly. I want warhammer to play like chess, or at least be closer to that then to candy land. 8E feels closer to the former than the later compared to 7E, and that saddens me.

But as I've said, for know I'm having fun and we'll have to see how it is in a month or two.

Discord
21-07-2010, 20:49
It's an objectively proven fact* that you can't have fun with 8th edition and it's a broken game. Report to your local correction facility if your erroneus opinion persists, citizen.

* As in, I read it somewhere**.

** Well no, not really. I actually made it up. But still.

Xehmae
21-07-2010, 20:49
I'm a 40K player me too and last time i played fantasy it was with 6E. But my friend and I restarted fantasy with the 8E. Now we have more fun during games and army list are more balanced with the magic dice limitation and % for army chart. And with all the FAQ's updated for the 8E... what more could we ask for? :)

Time to restart my skaven and wood elves armies !!!

Leogun_91
21-07-2010, 21:23
I've played 3 games and converted one 40k player and I say the new edition is great, it's better then I hoped.

Erorior
21-07-2010, 21:33
Well, it really feels like GW has put their mind to this edition! All the new magic, terrain, magic items, scenarios, special rules (and so on..) has most of the times made the game more fun to play! So far, I am really happy about the changes! :)

Sardaukar
21-07-2010, 21:52
And yet another 40k-convert! :) I played a few games in 7th, as I love that "army-feeling" ranked infantry units on movement trays give me, but I really didn't like the game that much. Now 8th, as has been mentioned by someone before me, is what a fantasy battle should be about! Yes, it is in a way a "beer and pretzel" game (I'm from Bavaria, I know all about beer and pretzels! :D ), but seriously... I spend hours and hours painting painting tiny plastic soldiers, I want the game to be...fun! If i wanted to play a perfectly balanced game, where I can be 100% sure that the winner is always determined by skill, I'd play chess! I believe, 8th edition results in epic battles with memorable outcomes and stories, and I love it! Good job, GW

Seth the Dark
21-07-2010, 21:53
Wait! A positive thread on Warseer, never!

Astraeos
21-07-2010, 22:01
Wait! A positive thread on Warseer, never!

Well so far this thread seems mainly positive with the exception of one or two comments!
Haven't played Warhammer for a few years but this new version has me casting my eye towards it a little.
And I accidentally started a Warriors of Chaos army today....

Adjustquantity
21-07-2010, 22:59
What's really got me going about this new edition and fantasy in general is my local group has a lot of variety for what armies are played instead of the space marine spam (which I'm guilty of too). I think they is no more than 2 of the same type of armies where I play which is great!

Seth The Dark and Astaeos, Why not be positive with all the other crappy things you have to put up with! I use this a game to relax and not have to think about going back to that crappy overnight job at a dysfunctional hotel! (only 2 more months thank god)

Alright, Time to go convert some more of my old 40K friends!

Minsc
21-07-2010, 23:19
At our gameclub, two 40k players have started playing WFB and two X-WFBplayers that had stopped playing WFB have come back.

No one has quit on us yet.
Hipp Hipp hooray for 8th Ed.

antin3
21-07-2010, 23:52
I haven't played WFB in years, I decided to jump back in with the release of 8th. I am building an Empire army and while building it I have been hanging around my LGS watching games and from what I have saw people are really enjoying themselves. (previously there were never games of WFB being played). I can't wait until I get the models together so I can finally play a game.

Orangecoke
22-07-2010, 02:31
I've only got one game under my belt, but enjoyed it immensely. I always wanted to play WFB (love the fluff, the armies) but 7th rules sounded very tedious and broken. So far, 8th seems like a blast and I'm fired up to paint like...three armies (this is gonna get expensive!). If it remains fun, I think it will replace 40k as my go-to game of choice (already has, kinda).

vladsimpaler
22-07-2010, 03:39
Honestly I've played 2 games of 8th and I had way more fun than I ever had playing 40k.

For example in my intro game I played Warriors of Chaos against my friend who played OnG.

Just for the heck of it, I threw around 6 power dice at the Infernal Gateway spell. I miscast and my wizard has all of his power drained.

Next turn, my friend has his goblin shaman use a spell, he miscasts and all of his wizard's levels are gone as well!

So in the first turn of the game for both of us, our magic died. I thought it was hilarious, personally, even though I lost in the end.

But yeah, for the Dark Elves I currently have a sorceress, 20 Corsairs, and 16 crossbowmen, and am waiting in a trade for 20 spearmen, 10 more crossbowmen, and 5 cold one knights. Yeah, I think I like this game. :)

:edit: I should also mention that when Tomb Kings come out, I will add them to my forces as well...they were the army that I was first interested in Fantasy-wise. : )

Damocles8
22-07-2010, 03:55
Honestly I've played 2 games of 8th and I had way more fun than I ever had playing 40k.

For example in my intro game I played Warriors of Chaos against my friend who played OnG.

Just for the heck of it, I threw around 6 power dice at the Infernal Gateway spell. I miscast and my wizard has all of his power drained.

Next turn, my friend has his goblin shaman use a spell, he miscasts and all of his wizard's levels are gone as well!

So in the first turn of the game for both of us, our magic died. I thought it was hilarious, personally, even though I lost in the end.

But yeah, for the Dark Elves I currently have a sorceress, 20 Corsairs, and 16 crossbowmen, and am waiting in a trade for 20 spearmen, 10 more crossbowmen, and 5 cold one knights. Yeah, I think I like this game. :)

:edit: I should also mention that when Tomb Kings come out, I will add them to my forces as well...they were the army that I was first interested in Fantasy-wise. : )

Your spell went off, right?

=][= Lord
22-07-2010, 04:03
I'm a 40k player who recently converted during the 7th, I must say I enjoy the 8th a lot more

Desert Rain
22-07-2010, 08:47
The games that I have played so far has been really funny with new tactical challenges compared to 7th edition.

Razhem
22-07-2010, 09:06
I give it 6 months and it will be business back as usual.

Bassik
22-07-2010, 09:20
When 7th came along, I switched permanently to 40K... or so I thought. Now I bought a beastmen army because fantasy is awesome again:D

damiengore
22-07-2010, 14:30
LOL!

Best post EVAH!!!

sliganian
22-07-2010, 14:44
Having recently started Warmachine, then having my first game of 8th edition this week (haven't played much Fantasy since 6th edition), I am feeling that GW took some pages from not only 40k, but also Privateer Press when it comes to gameplay style vis a vis risk/reward -- especially the magic phase.

Now before folks get their GW fanboyness wound-up, here's what I mean:
WHFB feels much more aggressive and faster than I remember. Now you have units running forward, charge ranges getting extended to potentially surprising amount and the magic phase being a potentially hugely powerful yet potentially hugely disasterous event. Casting some of the 'big' spells are almost like launching WarCaster Feats due to the devastating effects that can occur.

And if there any other game I've played on the table that seems to embody agressive and fast with big, game-changing events that occur in one action, it is Warmachine.

Now, if I could just figure a way to sneak a Khador Destroyer warjack into my High Elves list... :D

NecroMaster
22-07-2010, 15:41
MUHAHAHA!! GW has done it. They have succeeded at bringing the 40kers back to the light. Welcome, all you new converts, and welcome home all you prodigal children. :) I'm sure GW is happy to take your money too.:D

On a serious note. The one game I had of 8th was unbelievable. I loved it! I was skeptical at first but when I started reading the book I realized that most of the changes from 7th to 8th are for the better. In practice, it worked, and I had one of the most balanced games I've had since 6th. Thankyou GW for thinking before possibly screwing up and pushing me away completely.

P.S. 40k sucks.

Freakiq
22-07-2010, 15:46
I give it 6 months and it will be business back as usual.

Why do you post this in every thread?

On topic though; from reading the rules it seems that they've changed basically everything I disliked in 7th edition.

Won't have time to play a single game until early September but that gives me enoug time to read the rules thoroughly and get some painting done.

Glad to see Warseer being (mostly) positive for once. :)

Razhem
22-07-2010, 16:04
Why do you post this in every thread?

I'm the official village doomsayer.

J.P. Biff
22-07-2010, 16:11
Glad to see Warseer being (mostly) positive for once. :)

Agreed.

Although I haven't played a single game of 8th yet, this thread has actually motivated me to dive into my closet and pull out at least one of my 6 painted armies and have another look at Warhammer. I found myself not playing for the last 8 months and just unable to get into a game mentally. It became the same old thing every game, bait, flank, flee, counter, destroy, game over I win. So much so, that I think losing became something that I just couldn't deal with and therein lay the problem.

I tried to tell myself that I enjoy the game for what it is... a game. But every time I'm close to losing a unit during a game vs. my competitive edge starts to eat away at me and I find myself getting......... angry. I hate that part of myself, as it never used to be there, and I think its going to take some time losing (what?!?!?! that DOESN'T happen to me!!) to get back into the fun which is what I WANT. Its seems 8th has leveled the playing field, a bit at least, as I have seen scrubs beat vets with some good dice rolls vs. the vets poor ones, so it should be interesting.

Man I should see a therapist, I'm feeling feelings :p.

Thanks for this thread and all the positive comments. Now which army to dust off...

UberBeast
22-07-2010, 16:13
I've also seen a good many of the 40k players starting to get back into fantasy. Strangely, this trend started about a year ago in my gaming area, because many of them were tired of the rock-paper-scissors gaming style that 40k supported.

8th edition has finished bringing over the 40k crowd, but nearly all of the people who left 40k last year because they were looking for a more tactical rule set are now looking for other gaming systems.

I can't help but feel that GW is simply halving its market and then splitting the remaining half between its two most popular gaming systems. This is obviously an attempt at reducing the "niche" gaming aspects of their product while hoping to expand their appeal, but I wonder if this isn't also a response to competitors like Battlefront and Privateer Press which have been stealing those "niche" gamers who prefer a more "realistic" or "competitive" type of game.

If wargames were ice-cream; GW is trying to control the vanilla market while letting the other companies sell tutti frutti.

Valtiel
22-07-2010, 18:12
I'm having fun with my Warriors of Chaos. They're good in combat, more worth taking than Knights these days, infantry is awesome and magic functions well. Sadly, two of my opponents keep on calling cheese each time I do something like attack, casts a spell or reveals a special magic item's ability. Sadly, this is quite annoying... almost as much as the entire 7th edition army books and rules. :P

Will keep on playing though.

Orangecoke
22-07-2010, 19:04
The call cheese if you attack? That's kinda lame, no?