PDA

View Full Version : Mephiston, how do players deal with him?

Lord Asgul
21-07-2010, 12:32
I was just wondering how do players deal with him being in their opponents army? Do you just ignore him or fire as much as you can at him to hopefully annihilate him?

Thud
21-07-2010, 12:39
Ignore him, focus on the rest of the BA army and then shoot him in the face when he becomes an issue.

deacon52
21-07-2010, 12:47
th/ss termies, massed small arms fire, plasma, lascannons, 15 bloodclaws and a preist. arjac and bloodclaws. logan grimnar, lysander. there are heaps of ways mate. if he could hide in a sqaud i would be worried, but he cant so im not.

Garven Dreis
21-07-2010, 12:59
Yeah, just ignore him, UNLESS he is going to hurt your infantry. He may be good, but if you make him keep rolling saves, he'll EVENTUALLY die. Chances are that they've had to make sacrifices elsewhere. Throw big guns at him, but don't throw stuff at him if you are neglecting wiping out the rest of your opponents army.

That said, he is a pain in the backside to kill...

LonelyPath
21-07-2010, 13:14
It depends on the army I'm fielding really, but.

Orks - lootas (if they have no juicier targets) and Old Zogwort (it's fun when it does work, hahaha).

(All) SM - Predator Destructors.

Daemonhunters - yet to face him, but terminators come to mind.

Daemons - Soul Grinders and Bloodletters.

IG - missile launcher/lascannon sentinels.

I do generally ignore him for the first couple of turns though, waiting for him to close the gap so I can better react with my own forces.

AdamR
21-07-2010, 13:28
Predator Destructors will do an average of 0.37 wounds/turn on Mephiston - sure you're not thinking of an Annihilator?

Oguleth
21-07-2010, 13:33
I think singing "Pe-pe-pe-perils of the Warp" everytime he is using powers is the way..

Or keep army together, and then have him tied up with units that have access to claws/fists whatever after he has made a mess of one of your units and tie him up and slice wounds off him for a while.

Godzooky
21-07-2010, 13:33
Anyone seen Abbadon & Mephiston go head to head since the new BA codex?

If so, how did it end?

Narf
21-07-2010, 13:45
things to remember.

He can move 24" in the first turn or any subsequent turns, so deploy 25" away from him.

If he is going to attack something make sure its something that you want him to attack, i spent a game feeding him razorbacks and legging the marines towards the other BA's.

Tie him up, in a game recently a member of our club lost him after charging a combine guard unit 50 strong, took 3 turns but the guard actually killed him.

He's not that scary, he cant be hidden, apart from his toughness he's actually quite fragile as no EW and no Invulnerable.

If your really worried just take a unit with plasma equivelant guns and hose him down.

gwarsh41
21-07-2010, 13:54
Tell your opponent that special characters are for talentless players :D

Finnith
21-07-2010, 13:57
Double team with demon princes or rinse with plasma/melta guns. Against rank and file hes scary as but once hes out in the open its easy. Stay in your transports, always have a fist in groups of 5 or more and be prepared to feed him stuff in order to get the mission done. Mephiston can kill 1000 points a game for all I care it doesnt count for squat if Im sitting on an objective at the end of the day.

Obliterators have a field day if they can get los to him. Lascannons for starters then lots of TL-plasma once he get in range. If hes hiding behind a squad then throw plasma cannon shots at him to try and take some of his shield with him.

Gwyidion
21-07-2010, 14:45
Keep him away from my farseer and make sure he has an opportunity to become very good friends with my harlequins. I win.

GrogDaTyrant
21-07-2010, 14:49
Orks - lootas (if they have no juicier targets) and Old Zogwort (it's fun when it does work, hahaha).

Zogwort doesn't work on Mephiston. Not only is Mephiston a Librarian, giving him a 50% chance of shutting down any psychic power you cast, but he's not even an independant character.

Mannimarco
21-07-2010, 14:54
try to wear him down with plasma guns or just set the obliterators on him with lascannons or twin linked melta guns if hes close

Str10_hurts
21-07-2010, 14:59
Psycichood and ruins of warding, shadow in the warp.

Feed him a cheap squad out of cover watch it die then retaliate with plasma and your other ap2-1 friends.

That said he is hard to kill

Dwane Diblie
21-07-2010, 15:11
"How do you deal with Mephiston?"

Scatter Lasers Baby.

"How do you deal with Killa Kan?"

Scatter Lasers Baby!

"How do you deal with Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield Terminators?"

SCATTER LASERS BABY!!!

"How do you deal with Landraders?"

Ummm.... What now?

Mortified Penguin
21-07-2010, 15:35
I usually use a bloodthirster or skulltaker against him. With blessing of the blood god they both get 2+ invuns =D

BladeWalker
21-07-2010, 17:00
The only time I have faced him I tarpitted him with Nurglings for 3 turns and then melted him with a Flamer. No INV save = multicolored goo.

gwarsh41
21-07-2010, 17:17
Skulltaker should make very quick work of him, one +4 to wound and meph goes CHOP!

Ooooh, Flesh hounds would be a nightmare for meph. 5 or 6 should hold him up well. They all have blessing of the blood god as well ++2 save!

Dronevil
21-07-2010, 17:28
Wraithguard :evilgrin:

Edit: If they can get close enough of course.

IGoblinego
21-07-2010, 18:01
Guardsman Marbo, what did you expect?

Mojaco
21-07-2010, 18:49

If so, how did it end?

Abbadon won. With more attacks and a 4+ invulnerable he had the biggest edge, so slew Mephiston in a single turn.

IcedAnimals
21-07-2010, 18:51
With my sisters of battle I throw a couple exorcist missiles at him. In fact if I recall last game a single exorcist did 3 wounds to him one turn then my canoness killed him the next.

With my daemons the skulltaker makes quick work of him.

Zeroth
21-07-2010, 19:31
Haven't played against him much, a squad of 5 SS/TH terminators charged and killed him off pretty easy.

Wicksy
21-07-2010, 20:59
Guardsman Marbo, what did you expect?

eh? I doubt Marbo could do enough damage to Mephiston in one turn to kill him unless Meph was already wounded. Remember he doesnt die from the blast of a demo charge. It knock off one wound due to his high toughness. Also i believe Marbo has the lower init so will likely die first in CC.

He can be killed, just spam shooting at him. My mate does alright with just shooting lascannon razorbacks at him. However, if used correctly he can be a pain in the ****. As a counter charger or secondary charger, he can make mince meat of units time and again. He aint anywhere near imortal though.

Bestaltan
21-07-2010, 21:16
Those pesky 32-wound nobs with power klaws work wonders on him (in case anyone is confused, a 30-model boyz squad with nob/power klaw).

Killgore
21-07-2010, 22:58
Making Mephie roll 3 dice when taking power tests against my Farseer :P

Tethylis
22-07-2010, 00:19
Doom + Shuiken spam works pretty well too

Tourniquet
22-07-2010, 02:37
The one time i faced him?

Guide, Doom, 64 Dire Avenger Shuricen catapult shots.
Did he die?
yes
Could i have just avoided him?
Easily
Did i kill him on turn 2 before he got to do anything?
Sure did!

The look on my opponents face when i did the good old "You get to roll 34 2+ armour saves" was priceless, especially since before the game he was going on and on about how "mephiston never dies and pwnsors face, hope your whole army is ready to get killed by one model!"

Bestaltan
22-07-2010, 03:46
The look on my opponents face when i did the good old "You get to roll 34 2+ armour saves" was priceless, especially since before the game he was going on and on about how "mephiston never dies and pwnsors face, hope your whole army is ready to get killed by one model!"

Oh, now that's just satisfying to read. And I hate Eldar. :D

Mannimarco
22-07-2010, 03:48
He doesnt like plague ogryns either, d6 noxious touch attacks each wounding on a 2 with a reroll to wound and tough enough to tarpit him for a short while before he butchers them.

Gaargod
22-07-2010, 03:49
Nids: Keep him the hell away from any monstrous creatures, but giggle if you can hit him with 1W troops. Genestealers in particular eat him in a turn.

If you want to be risky, you can try offering him a tyrant with a couple of tyrant guard with lashwhips in there somewhere. The BA player is likely to take the bait and try to gank your tyrant - so hope you can cut his head off before he cuts through all your guard!

Yaro
22-07-2010, 06:01
I faced him for the first time with my Tyranids last weekend. I threw a unit of shrikes with bone swords at him expecting them to eat him like they do with everything else, and I was utterly surprised to see them get wiped out so handily. Next time I'll send in a 12 strong unit of genestealers.

Silent_Moebius
22-07-2010, 06:16
I throw three Trygons on him. Yeah, with a little luck he kill one (Shadow in the warp). But he is defintly dead after that.

See it like a point change: you take 250 P mephiston from the field, I my 235 P Trygon :)

Brucopeloso
22-07-2010, 08:50
Doom + charge with 10 harleqins.....

DeviantApostle
22-07-2010, 10:05
9 Lascannon attacks from Obliterators in one shooting phase.

If the first 6 don't work...

The SkaerKrow
22-07-2010, 13:44
Get him into a blood feud with a werewolf over the love of some whiny teenage girl. He'll be too busy filming a dozen movie sequels to ever bother your army again (though your soldiers' girlfriends will chatter on about him endlessly :rolleyes:).

Godzooky
22-07-2010, 13:59
Get him into a blood feud with a werewolf over the love of some whiny teenage girl. He'll be too busy filming a dozen movie sequels to ever bother your army again (though your soldiers' girlfriends will chatter on about him endlessly :rolleyes:).

Jesus, bloody Twilight. When will it end? I like The Onion's take on what's coming next: http://www.theonion.com/articles/minotaurs-the-new-vampires-says-publishing-executi,17601/

I'm guessing Ragnar would fit the bill as Mephy's love rival.

Bunnahabhain
22-07-2010, 14:00
Ignore him, as he will kill less stuff than virtually any other BA unit of similar points.

Or apply an sensible number of AP 1-2 weapons, and he just falls over. Of course, this requires an army with an indecent amount of firepower, and Ordnance blast weapons to deal with the squads, but I'm a Guard player.....

Lord Damocles
22-07-2010, 14:06
Hello Mr Mephiston. Meet my associate Mr Leman Russ Executioner.

Brucopeloso
22-07-2010, 14:19
9 Lascannon attacks from Obliterators in one shooting phase.

If the first 6 don't work...

Or if within 12" just rapid fire with the twin linked plasma guns.............

Vissah
22-07-2010, 15:20

If so, how did it end?

I took him on twice with Abaddon and he went down both times.
It is the fact that he does not have an invul that will see him going down.
I took 4 wounds with Abaddon and saved 3 so after that most of the time Meph is gone :D

Zurken
22-07-2010, 17:36
As a player who have fielded mephiston time to time I can say that he is't that good. He's cool and have potential to cause horrific damage, but not more than that.

Each time he charge a 10-manish unit with a fist mephiston looses 1-2 wounds and if cover isn't close by he will die to Plasma/melta/lascannons the turn after. He will also die to almost any good CC unit (like nobz, CC termies, crushers, thunder wolves with enough SS, even banshees with doom can hurt him quite well).

I don't think you will kill him fast with non-ap1or2 weapons, with 2+ save and probably a priest nearby for FnP he can take (statisticly) 12save per wound.

Balgora
23-07-2010, 02:20
doesn't FnP not do very much for 2+ save models? :/

Bunnahabhain
23-07-2010, 11:51
doesn't FnP not do very much for 2+ save models? :/

It does a huge amount of good.

The number of times I have wiped out terminator squads (especially TH/SS ones who are often a waste of AP1-2) with massed lasguns- PLATOON! Front Rank fire, Second rank fire! - is beyond counting, and bladestorming DAs, Guided Scatter laser War Walker squadrons, or 30 boys mobs with 60 shots, and 120 or so attacks do much the same- simply force so many saves the 2+ is meaningless.

Throw in FNP on top, and weight of fire/blows only works half as well.

orkz222
23-07-2010, 11:53
lascannon spam + reroll cover saves orders for IG. Mine usually die in turn 2 now.

Balgora
23-07-2010, 14:52
It does a huge amount of good.

The number of times I have wiped out terminator squads (especially TH/SS ones who are often a waste of AP1-2) with massed lasguns- PLATOON! Front Rank fire, Second rank fire! - is beyond counting, and bladestorming DAs, Guided Scatter laser War Walker squadrons, or 30 boys mobs with 60 shots, and 120 or so attacks do much the same- simply force so many saves the 2+ is meaningless.

Throw in FNP on top, and weight of fire/blows only works half as well.

well yeah i meant vs the ap 1-2 weapons he was talking about :<

kaimarion
23-07-2010, 19:11
The only time I ever faced him I hit him with a dethrolla(5 hits) and threw a unit of 5 MaNz and a deff dread at him, I can't say things ended too well for him although the deff dread got a nice new red paint-job...

Sabe
23-07-2010, 20:43
See it like a point change: you take 250 P mephiston from the field, I my 235 P Trygon

Honestly Nidz is like one of the two or three armies I will actually take Mephiston against. And I take him exclusively for taking on the opponents 1-2 Trygons or Carnifex's. I have yet to not have him make back at least twice his points in Nid MC's(7 games). Shadow in the warp is actually almost exactly as effective as a Runic Staff(50%), though to be fair I actually almost roll better on 3D6 tests as I do 2D6 ones.

That said I do find him to be a waste against most other armies.

Melion
25-07-2010, 18:08
As a Necron player, I ignore him because I usually don't have enough firepower to take him out.

BladeWalker
25-07-2010, 23:07
Two out of three games at a local tourney yesterday I faced BA with Mephiston. In the first game I basically ignored him in favor of the objectives tarpitted him with Nurglings for 3 turns, he did kill a weakened Bloodthirster in the final turn. In the second game he charged my Great Unclean One who held him there until the next turn when a unit of Bloodletters easily ripped him apart (he had already taken 3 wounds from the GUO).

He's good, but with no Inv. Save he just meat for my Daemons.

Charlie Scene
26-07-2010, 05:46
He dies too easily for anyone in our club to field one.

I was surprised to see this as a question. D:

Hellebore
26-07-2010, 05:54
Hence why I dislike his rules. Not only are his physical stats completely ludicrous for a human sized creature, but in order to balance that out they threw in some other rules that make him very ineffective.

Se we have a character whose stats just look daft combined with many nerfing rules to ensure he doesn't play the way his stats describe. Thus creating one of the dumbest sets of rules in 40k.

WS6 BS5 S5 T5 W4 I7 A4 Ld10 Sv2+

Would have been plenty for an IC character. Removing the IC rule just to try and balance him does silly things.

Hellebore

The Red Pilgrim
26-07-2010, 06:11
With my sisters of battle I throw a couple exorcist missiles at him. In fact if I recall last game a single exorcist did 3 wounds to him one turn then my canoness killed him the next.

With my daemons the skulltaker makes quick work of him.

I watched this game play out, and it was terrible to behold just how goofy Meph is.

"He's a monster if he survives long enough to get to your lines!"

HeroFox
26-07-2010, 08:17
Believe it or not.. if Mephiston gets left in the open, he pretty much dies to 1 round of shooting from any "normal" army in this day's metagame.

5 wounds with T6 is 2 squads of Marines shooting at him with Meltas. This doesn't include tanks.

Craftworld
26-07-2010, 12:01
I could never bring myself to field something so fragile, yet expensive.

I have yet to see him do anything in-game aside from be a 250 point handicap; in our LGS, anyways.

Silent_Moebius
26-07-2010, 12:40
I could never bring myself to field something so fragile, yet expensive.

T6 W5 2+ is fragile? :eek:

Ok, then explain me, what in your opinion is not fragile?

Fixer
26-07-2010, 13:33
At the Solent tournament last week someone found a nice combination in Corbulo and Mephiston.

2+ FNP aside if it's in range, the ability to reroll failed psychic tests or fleet rolls is invaluable.

Mephy himself is pretty damned tough but he is basically a smaller and easier to hide trygon with a better armor save, and the ability to fly. Most weapons that can kill those can kill him. Just a matter of getting them there since he's more mobile and sneakier! Overall most competitive armies should have the weapons they need to deal with him in much the same way they deal with Nob Bikers or other monstrous creatures.

In addition, it is possible to beat him off with morale test weapons/powers.

Rat Catcher
30-07-2010, 05:43
Ok, then explain me, what in your opinion is not fragile?

Something that can't be taken apart by any respectable shooting army. ;)

I've killed four Mephs so far, none have reached my lines. He may be a small model, but he has to come and play sometime.

PapaDoc
30-07-2010, 14:06
I've killed two Mephistons but my excuse were they were used by ****** players (hmm there are 4 lone raptors with two meltas and thre obliterators over there..... lets charge the raptors!!!).

I would like to make clear that unless you are fully meched you cannot avoid him for more than one turn. BA also packs enough fast meltas so that staying mech is trouble some.

When I face Mephiston I refuse flank and try to make him roll for psychic powers every turn. He will hit and eat something up. When he does that I try to close in with rhinos and fire from the access points. Something that has an Invo save and is good in CC can finish him (like a nurgle deamon prince with Warptime and Wings).

impala
30-07-2010, 21:41
I have yet to face Mephiston, but I imagine I will habdle him the same way I do every other opponent. I will start by rolling a lot of 1s and 2s, and then watch my army rapidly disintegrate under the enemy attacks. By the third turn, I will be trying to desperately regroup what I have left for a final death or glory, and mid-way though turn 4 I will congratulate my opponent on yet another sweeping victory. So Mephiston will be like the average Space Marine Captain in my book ;)

SPYDER68
30-07-2010, 21:54
At the Solent tournament last week someone found a nice combination in Corbulo and Mephiston.

2+ FNP aside if it's in range, the ability to reroll failed psychic tests or fleet rolls is invaluable.

Mephy himself is pretty damned tough but he is basically a smaller and easier to hide trygon with a better armor save, and the ability to fly. Most weapons that can kill those can kill him. Just a matter of getting them there since he's more mobile and sneakier! Overall most competitive armies should have the weapons they need to deal with him in much the same way they deal with Nob Bikers or other monstrous creatures.

In addition, it is possible to beat him off with morale test weapons/powers.

How does Corbulo help him much ? You get 1 re roll from corbulo for entire game.. and other then that Corb is just a really strong priest..

Corb doesnt give others 2+ FNP Btw if thats what you meant.

MoonReaper
31-07-2010, 01:59
If you give Meph cover saves whilst he approaches, he is good.
cover save can be given with intervening rhinos, razors or preds which BAs have in abundance and their fast versions

his approach will make the opponent to feel compelled to deal with him which is all good since the rest of your army destroys a flank or moves closer for a next turn assault

qsd
31-07-2010, 11:49
He usually shrugs off a lot of the long range Guard fire, so I just ignore him and do a drive by with a plasma CCS when he gets too close.

SharpSilver
31-07-2010, 12:55
I was down at my Local GW store the other day, and I saw a 1500pt game between a child of the age of around 14 and a man of around 23. The kid using Blood Angels and the man a Gunline Tau army.

The Kid was bragging about how Mephiston was the be all and end all of BA armies, and without him, Blood Angels sucked, and how he would get his points back in kills within a turn or so. On turn 2, The BA Player made the grave mistake of moving mephiston into Line of Sight and range of 9 Broadside battlesuits. He wasn't smiling after the tau player turned all of that firepower on Mephiston and turned him into a bloody pile of incinerated meat.

Needless to say, I laughed out loud. That's what you get for putting all your eggs into one basket.

pompeyladbfp
31-07-2010, 15:22
i would say certain armies can deal with him easily, but others will struggle... as a blood angel player and user of various other armies i have a healthy respect when he is played well (using razors to screen him, or a circle of terms to give him cover save)

my space wolves have a wolfguard combiplasma squad that can do him in a turn easy, my eldar have fire dragons and doom/guide combos and a farseer to limit his pychics. my orks struggle unless i can get him stuck against a big unit.

kane40k
31-07-2010, 17:39

If so, how did it end?

Just conducted it 5x.

one word.

Abaddon.

Zweischneid
31-07-2010, 17:45
I was down at my Local GW store the other day, and I saw a 1500pt game between a child of the age of around 14 and a man of around 23. The kid using Blood Angels and the man a Gunline Tau army.

The Kid was bragging about how Mephiston was the be all and end all of BA armies, and without him, Blood Angels sucked, and how he would get his points back in kills within a turn or so. On turn 2, The BA Player made the grave mistake of moving mephiston into Line of Sight and range of 9 Broadside battlesuits. He wasn't smiling after the tau player turned all of that firepower on Mephiston and turned him into a bloody pile of incinerated meat.

Needless to say, I laughed out loud. That's what you get for putting all your eggs into one basket.

Well. GW has fortunately yet to release a figure that is entirely unbeatable in even the most incompetent hands. But just because you can actually beat a Mephiston, doesn't mean he's automatically balanced.

Besides, like all Librarians, Mephiston is worth less against non-Psy armies like Tau, though I would recon he is still slightly more useful than a regular Librarian as he can wreck some havoc as a make-shift (if vulnerable) assault-threat.

Mephiston really shines against Space Wolfs, Tyranids, Chaos-Lash-lists and the like where you can shut down enemy psy with his hood, save the points on a babysitting unit for a frail Librarian/Epistolarian and .. if the opportunity arises .. munch a tank or squad on the side.

I think that is a big mistake many people make with Mephiston. He's not best used as a death-star-assassin for the meanest unit your opponent fields. He's best used as a highly survivable anti-psy-hood with the ability/mobility to threaten flanks & stragglers.

If your intention is to kill things like Abaddon or Calgar, you're probably better of throwing 250 pts. worth of Death Company at them.

Necron Lord Omega
31-07-2010, 22:23
Ahh yes Twilight one girls exploration into both Necrophilia and Bestiality.
:evilgrin:

TheDietmar66
03-08-2010, 03:35
Mephiston is tough if you play him like a librarian. Meaning you shield him while moving around. If you think you can run him out thumbing his nose at an entire army, he will die in short order. A well built army should provide pause as to where the threat is. Meph is a good character (IC snub aside), but he is expensive. Protect him till he can do what he does or don't field him.

I prefer a 2 lib list, although it doesn't provide the "ooo look shiney monkey" effect that Meph does. Play smart with him and he will get his licks in before possibly being killed. Play reckless and watch that chunk of points go down the toilet with the quickness.

Brettila
03-08-2010, 05:14
Tell your opponent that special characters are for talentless players :D

Preach, my brother!

Seriously though, I have faced him twice. The first time Fire Dragons roasted him, although bad rolls forced me to kill him in CC. Boy did those little Eldar muscle up! The second time he took 3 Obliterators with twin-linked plasma to the face, and proceeded to make noises like the Wicked Witch of the West.

If you are worried about him being on the table just make sure to take some AP 2 happiness and blaze away. I don't think the, "Ignore him" philosophy works, as he can teleport into your own power armor with you on turn one if you are not careful!

Merus
03-08-2010, 05:54
I know some people are saying to ignore him, but that just isn't a possibility with all armies.

I much prefer focusing him the second he breaks away from cover to charge; light him up like a Christmas tree. He goes down fairly easily once his absurdly tiny model isn't perfectly hidden behind a rhino. ;)

Silent_Moebius
03-08-2010, 06:47
Something that can't be taken apart by any respectable shooting army. ;)

I was a little surprised, because I play Nidzilla and when someone say, T6 W5 2+ is fragile, I can't believe it. My MCs has only T6 W6 3+ ... but ok, i have more than one :D