PDA

View Full Version : marauders in 8th

swifty2
21-07-2010, 17:16
Hey guys, was wondering if people could help me, i've literally just started a warriors of chaos army for the new edition, i've started with the batallion and I was wondering how to arm my marauders, i've always thought great weapons where the way to go but i'm ot so sure now.

Thus far the only solid choices i've gone for are that i'll be taking a unit of 18 tzentch warriors with shields, and i'm likely to include valkia within the army.

Odin
21-07-2010, 17:28
I think there's going to be two main ways to field Marauders in 8th.

1) as a horde of 40-50 with great weapons (or possibly flails) - Mark of Khorne or Nurgle, though Slaanesh might be a decent enough option to avoid failing a fear tests and needing 5s or 6s to hit.

2) 5-wide and with plenty of ranks with light armour & shield, as a steadfast unit - with Mark of Tzeentch to get the most out of the shields.

I'm finding it works rather well to field one horde and one deep unit.

peterburstrom
21-07-2010, 17:31
I think that any way to avoid panic is the way to go. Mark of Slaanesh is ideal, but I think that vanilla ones can do it as well, since you can re-roll it anyway (will of chaos does apply to them as well, right?)

Of course, for the more attacks flavour, go Khorne with GW. They will hand the opponents their be-hinds. And they are also immune to panic.

shakedown47
21-07-2010, 17:32
I also have a Tzeentch-marked WoC army, and I've given my marauders flails. Many people go with great weapons. I think both are solid choices, with great weapons edging flails out as far as the "smart" choice.

One thing I can say, though, is that if you're going to take warriors with shields then you'd better have a lot of characters with high-strength weapons or a couple shaggoths are something, because str 4 doesn't kill much. I've given my Tzeentch warriors halberds and shields based on the logic that:

You won't get your improved ward save from the side, versus impact hits, or versus stomp and thunderstomp attacks.

Warriors using halberds in combat will have a 4+/6+ save in combat, which is as good as any other army's "hard" troops; i.e. dwarf warriors, lizzies, grave guard, etc. In addition, we retain that exact same save when beset from any side, whereas all of the others lose their ward. On top of all that our attacks are Str 5, so while we're not losing out on any of the survivability available to any other army, we're generating better combat res (hopefully enough to take off the enemy's ranks) than anyone else.

swifty2
21-07-2010, 21:45
cheers guys, i'm thinking at the moment that i'll give them great weapons, have the warriors purely as a holding unit to pin in the middle of my lines and then have other units like the GW marauders as flankers, and then maybe a shaggoth or something else. I'll probably use valkia in a similar capacity, unit sniping where she can.

Justicar Valius
21-07-2010, 21:47
Great weapons and Mark of slannesh or Nurgle accompanied by a BSB with banner of rage ;)

GodlessM
21-07-2010, 21:49
I've found 30 with MoT, LA, and shields to be the business. Don't underestimate the usefulness of keeping steadfast as long as possible, and between being 6 deep and having the 5++ save, it becomes relatively easy to hold up unit for a few player turns with this bunch (who only come in at 220pts).

Sardaukar
21-07-2010, 22:00
I keep reading that hordes of GW-Marauders are the way to go now...now, I'm fairly new to WHFB, but...Marauders are on larger bases, aren't they? I really don't understand how they can ever make use of their 10 wide rank, unless they attack another horde of Marauders?:confused: Could someone please enlighten me?

xxRavenxx
21-07-2010, 22:32
Its not about making use of the models.

you will get 4 attacks per figure that makes contact with an enemy figure. (either 6, or 11, if I remember correctly vs. small based figures 5 or 10 wide?).

You *should* have more ranks than the unit you meet. You *should* out fight it. It should thusly not be stubborn on its LD check, and will hopefully be chased down.

Personally, I dont think they need to go wide for the horde rule. They will happily outfight people at 25 strong.