PDA

View Full Version : New stuff in the BRB

Sygerrik
21-07-2010, 23:10
I've been reading my BRB. Between pages 180 and 267, there are descriptions of each army. Within each description, there are mentions of most or all of the units in the army, along with some cool new stuff we don't have yet! Some of these units might appear in the next book for each army. Some of them might be special "legendary battle" units. Some might not appear at all, and only make up neat background.

I thought it would be fun to make a thread about these new units, to discuss if we think they might show up, which of them we'd like to see, and mention any other new units that get mentioned in the BRB.

Empire:
-Kislevite bear-riders(!)
-Demigryph riders
-Triple-headed chimeras

Bretonnia:
-Ghostly bowmen
-Souls of knights
-"the translucent spirits of the land itself"

Dwarfs:
-Steam-powered war engines cast in the images of the ancestor gods
-Hissing, furnace-hearted beasts of Karak Hirn
-Unique stuff- Zeppelins and Tractator engine

High Elves:
-Nothing really new

Dark Elves:
-Colossal slime-skinned monstrosities in the mountains

Wood Elves:
-"Entities coalesced from the dreams of the living forest"

Warriors of Chaos:
-"Bellowing titans of molten flesh" (Giants?)
-Floating silver citadels
-"Half-real nightmares borne aloft by the Winds of Chaos"

Daemons of Chaos:
-Giant Flesh Hound mounts

Beastmen:
-Tree-mutant fusions with dozens of mouths
-Huge beasts with howdahs on their backs
-Quilled monsters from the northern forests

Orcs and Goblins:
-Giant spiders the size of houses
-Mammoth cavebeasts
-Wooden idols of Gork and Mork that come to life and shoot lightning from their eyes

Tomb Kings:
-Bone giants carrying bows and obelisks
-Leonine monsters and stooped behemoths (non-humanoid constructs)
-Bone ships that sail over the sands

Vampire Counts:
-Zombie-dragged siege engines

Skaven:
-Immense rat-things (separate from HPAs)

Lizardmen:
-Mystical feathered serpents that bear Skinks into battle
-Huge thunder lizards (not Carnosaurs)

Ogre Kingdoms:
-Nothing really new

zuriel45
21-07-2010, 23:36
not to mention a couple fishmen references in the book (loaned mine to a friend otherwise i'd quote the pages they'd appeared on).

GodlessM
21-07-2010, 23:54
A few of these can be accounted for elsewhere;

- Chimera used to be available to the Empire back in the day I believe, and if I'm not mistaken remained in the fluff the odd time.

- Dwarf ancestral engines have been rumoured to be a legendary unit in the next book. Probably full of salt right now due to the time gap, but all the same, it has been heard.

- Half-real nightmares born on the Winds of Chaos sounds like plain old Daemons to me. Maybe, maybe not.

- Giant Flesh Hounds once existed as a mount for Arbaal.

- Beastmen Mutant-Tree was in a White Dwarf scenario quite some time ago. Hadsothing like T10 and W30.

- Ong; Giant Spiders are in the works for the next book for sure (collosal model) and the Idol has been present during the Storm of Chaos.

- Bone Giant is meant to get a Giant Bow option in the new TK book.

- Lizardmen feathered serpents are called Coatls and were once part of the army.

This is all the stuff I've heard before. Another mention of something new is the silk-clad sorcerers summoning fiery warriors in the desert. Good thread though.

Paraelix
21-07-2010, 23:56
Bretonnia:
-Ghostly bowmen
-Souls of knights
-"the translucent spirits of the land itself"

Lol. Moussillon.

Also, you missed the excerpt about Malekith animating metal golems forged in Khaine's image that basically shoot lasers from their eyes... pg 208 in "The Cruel Amassed".

kargie
21-07-2010, 23:57
Tomb Kings also lists Rocs IIRC (loaned my copy to a friend so I can't look up the exact wording--but I don't think it was by name but more like 'flying bird mount').

Sygerrik
22-07-2010, 00:01
I'm not saying any of this stuff is brand new, only that it's not in the army books at the moment. And the OnG idols weren't the SoC Idol of Gork: those were big heaps of dung that served to invigorate the Orcs; these are like wooden golems (like Bender in that one episode!)

It would be neat to see some of this stuff appear. I especially like the floating TK ships.

GodlessM
22-07-2010, 00:44
Tomb Kings also lists Rocs IIRC (loaned my copy to a friend so I can't look up the exact wording--but I don't think it was by name but more like 'flying bird mount').

They are certainly in the artwork.

mrtn
22-07-2010, 00:54
- WoC titans of Molten Flesh actually refered to the contraptions of the Chaos Dwarfs (believe they are called Inferno Golems in the indy book), so nothing new there.

I don't see where you get that "actually" from. I can't remember reading anything official about molten flesh titans, and even if you managed to drag up something from a 15 year old chaos dwarf publication I don't see the relevance to another army.

I certainly don't see the relevance of a fan-written armybook. :wtf:

GodlessM
22-07-2010, 02:23
Well firstly I have to ask, who said it was relevant to another army? The OP mistaked it as being a WoC unit, when it wasn't, and I pointed it out, hence the 'actually'. There was fluff I remember reading years back about the Chaos Dwarfs making walking titans that were powered by molten lava. This is seemingly what inspired the unit in the indy book (and so I mentioned it as an example), and appears to be what is referenced once again in the RBRB.

Sygerrik
22-07-2010, 03:19
Well firstly I have to ask, who said it was relevant to another army? The OP mistaked it as being a WoC unit, when it wasn't, and I pointed it out, hence the 'actually'. There was fluff I remember reading years back about the Chaos Dwarfs making walking titans that were powered by molten lava. This is seemingly what inspired the unit in the indy book (and so I mentioned it as an example), and appears to be what is referenced once again in the RBRB.

Actually, I didn't "mistake" anything. It was pretty clearly described as being something that accompanies the WoC to war. Hence, a WoC unit. Giants aren't unique to the WoC list, but they're a WoC unit nonetheless because they're part of the army.

Not to mention your association of the line in the BRB to the Chaos Dwarf golems is tenuous at best, and somehow between your first post and this one it's acquired the force of law. To me, in fact, "bellowing titans of molten flesh" sounds more like a giant Spawn whose flesh ripples with mutation, certainly nothing like the Inferno Golems of the Dwarves of Chaos indy book or anything made by the Dawi Zharr. So rather than pop into the thread, make an incorrect "correction" and harp on people for disagreeing, why don't you contribute something to the discussion?

steppingonyou
22-07-2010, 03:28
i have an arbal the undefeated that rides a giant fleshhound mount. i use it as a juggy now

enigma-96
22-07-2010, 05:24
Warriors of Chaos:

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! (Note: Girl Squel) Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ee!!!!!!!!!

OMG If they actually brought Silver Towers of Tzeentch into Fantasy I would basically die. That would be so freaking epic. What if they took it further? What if they brought Warp Palaces in with Legendary Battles? :):):) I can't restrain myself, I'm so happy you found this little tidbit....please let it turn into something glorious.

Better yet, when they release the model maybe they would have redone the Chaos book for 40k as well and it would be present there as well.
OMG GW if you are listening I will murder anyone you wish if this happens....anyone (note: self included if resurrection and/or cool robot body promised.)

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

hd.40
22-07-2010, 05:29
In the latest Lizardmen codex they actually mention feathered serpents quite a bit. I don't see how they could add another flyer to the army list thou and still keep it balanced.

Lord Inquisitor
22-07-2010, 05:40
OMG If they actually brought Silver Towers of Tzeentch into Fantasy I would basically die. That would be so freaking epic.

As opposed to being merely Epic: Armageddon?

I don't have much to add but I noticed that the ogre artwork not only prominantly shows a rhinox rider but appears to show an ogre in some form of chariot. Neat.

I was gutted to find all the cool kislevite models gone from GWs store including the bear rider (how could they!?)

Sygerrik
22-07-2010, 05:44
Not just bears. PLATED war bears. Panzerbjorn, here we come.

HeroFox
22-07-2010, 05:53
I think they should implement Werewolves.

enigma-96
22-07-2010, 05:54
As opposed to being merely Epic: Armageddon?

Wait did you just make a really bad pun? :shifty:

If so I tip my feathered hat to you sir.

In all seriousness (and with less eeeeee!!) I think it would be a good addition even if they just added it to the apoc fantasy equiv. I mean who doesn't want a floating tower made of silver that just so happens to have the ability to vaporize or liquidize ( I think it depends on who manufactured the tower, Toyota or Honda respectively) entire sections of the battlefield?

Also Ogre chariots would be neat. Ogre dragon equivs would be neater.

mrtn
22-07-2010, 09:28
The OP didn't mistake anything. You did. :rolleyes:

GodlessM
22-07-2010, 11:23
Actually, I didn't "mistake" anything. It was pretty clearly described as being something that accompanies the WoC to war. Hence, a WoC unit. Giants aren't unique to the WoC list, but they're a WoC unit nonetheless because they're part of the army.

Not to mention your association of the line in the BRB to the Chaos Dwarf golems is tenuous at best, and somehow between your first post and this one it's acquired the force of law. To me, in fact, "bellowing titans of molten flesh" sounds more like a giant Spawn whose flesh ripples with mutation, certainly nothing like the Inferno Golems of the Dwarves of Chaos indy book or anything made by the Dawi Zharr. So rather than pop into the thread, make an incorrect "correction" and harp on people for disagreeing, why don't you contribute something to the discussion?

I'm not even going to tarnish the thread replying properly to such a blatantly disrespectful post. I'd advise you read everything and as it is in the future though, and not what you want to read. The simpe fact is though, I couldn't have 'harped' on anyone for disagreeing since nobody disagreed with me; I was simply asked to explain myself which I did in form. Ironically you are the one 'harping' on people, i.e. me, for disagreeing with you.

And I will ask what on earth a Giant has to do with any of this?

The OP didn't mistake anything. You did. :rolleyes:

Care to provide proof? Obviously this is a strange request as all my old Chaos Dwarf publications are dust by now, so I cannot provide it myself, and concede that you may not be convinced, and you are entitled to that. But if you genuinely believe I am mistaken I would like to see it so as to quail this debate.

mrtn
22-07-2010, 15:05
"You can't prove a negative" is basic logic. How about instead of asking for impossible proof, you prove that there's any reason to believe that the quote in question has anything to do with Chaos Dwarfs at all, by providing a similar quote concerning molten flesh and chaos dwarfs.

If I would claim that a quote concerning beastmen had anything to do with fimir, then I can't demand that you provide counter proof, it's my job to provide the link between the beastmen and the fimir in the first place.

Odin
22-07-2010, 15:26
- Lizardmen feathered serpents are called Coatls and were once part of the army.

I'm pretty sure they have never been part of the Lizardmen army. I still think of Lizardmen as a "new" army, because they were introduced long after I got into the hobby - pretty sure I'd remember Coatls.

Would be a good addition though.

Spider-pope
22-07-2010, 15:34

Actually the OP is not mistaken at all. The molten flesh thingies are from the WoC section. What you are thinking of is the brief sentence on page 157: "In the Dark Lands, the blacksmiths of Chaos emerge from their citadels. Amongst them come lava spewing golems and vast winged bulls branded with the mark of the father of darkness"
Which is seperate from the line about constantly shifting giant gribblies accompanying the Warriors of Chaos. The fact they are described as molten flesh rather than molten metal or brass or any other material used by the bucket heads implies constantly mutating spawn rather than anything metal or golem-y.

I would suggest taking your own advice before correcting others.

Skyros
22-07-2010, 15:58
Interesting.

Kislev bear riders at one point existed. demigryph riders sound suspiciously like the kislev gryphon riders (who I think are demilancers?) a unit that I would not be sad to see return.

Gonzoyola
22-07-2010, 16:13
GodlessM: Forum Warrior.

I swear the highlight of every thread I read these days is godlessM trying to discredit the OP, them counteracting, and him jumping from Offensive to defensive claiming that everyone else is rude / wrong / cant prove him wrong without proof.

I get the logic, I believe if anyone has ever seen Thank you For Smoking, they highlight the attitude that most debaters have, I dont have to be right, I just have to prove you wrong.

If you cant prove me wrong, I win

mrtn
22-07-2010, 16:33
Kislev bear riders at one point existed.

They did? I remember the Tzar riding one, but not whole units of them. :)

Ghal Maraz
22-07-2010, 16:36
-Kislevite bear-riders(!)

Precedent already set: Tzar Boris Ursus (http://whfb.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/0/0d/Tzar-Boris.JPG)

-Triple-headed chimeras

classic Marauder Chimera (http://www.solegends.com/marauder/mm44chimera.htm)

Zeppelins

Photo in the BRB, OK.

"Space Marine"/"Titan Legions" Silver Towers of Tzeentch? (http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/6726/silvertower.gif)
Or "Man'O'War" Bane Tower of Tzeentch, the Chaos Plague Fleet Sorcerer's flying ship? (http://whfb.lexicanum.de/mediawiki/images/f/fb/Fliegende_T%C3%BCrme_des_Tzeentch.jpg)
Or, directly from the BRB, the Chaos horde. (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1090141a_P1Mb6XL.jpg)

-Giant Flesh Hound mounts
The already mentioned Arbaal the Undeafeted, favoured (?) Champion of Khorne. (http://www.reapermini.com/forum/uploads/monthly_05_2007/post-2668-1179888199_thumb.jpg)

-Leonine monsters

Warmaster Undead Mummy (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1183165_99061207010_WMUndeadSphinxMain_445x319.jp g)

Odin
22-07-2010, 16:41

I swear the highlight of every thread I read these days is godlessM trying to discredit the OP, them counteracting, and him jumping from Offensive to defensive claiming that everyone else is rude / wrong / cant prove him wrong without proof.

I get the logic, I believe if anyone has ever seen Thank you For Smoking, they highlight the attitude that most debaters have, I dont have to be right, I just have to prove you wrong.

If you cant prove me wrong, I win

Brilliant film.

Brilliant post.

Daniel36
22-07-2010, 16:50
To me it feels they suddenly made the Warhammer World a whole lot bigger!!

The thing with the world map is, because it is reminiscent of our own world, and we can travel from Britain to Italy and from France to America in a matter of hours, it seems small. Of course they don't have our means of travel, so that would put things in perspective, but for me it is difficult to view the world map as anything other than "not that big really".

Now, with these mentions of new huge monsters, suddenly my view of the Warhammer world became different. It suddenly feels like a much bigger world. I espcially enjoyed the mention of "Giant spiders the size of houses". I also find myself being amazed at what "Colossal slime-skinned monstrosities in the mountains" could look like.

But the one thing I like most is what is mentioned for the Bretonnian. Since Bretonnia hasn't had any updates in the past.... forever, it always felt second rank to Empire. They are already less advanced when it comes to technology, but just the miniature range and the little attention it gets just made it feel even more like a "weak" version of the Empire.

Now, with all these ghostly apparitions, they suddenly don't feel at all like a second rank Empire anymore...

Even if it might feel a bit too Undead...

Well, I still think it's cool. I hope this means that they are working on a new direction for the Bretonnians.

EDIT: I am not interested in continuing a flame war amongst you all, but I didn't see anything rude in GodlessM's original post. As such, I don't think there's any reason for flaming him, even if things might have happened in the past.

So let's just stop doing that and think about the cool mentions, be they new or old.
And it's okay to disagree with others, just don't be rude about it, even if someone else is. So quit it.

artisturn
22-07-2010, 16:56
Zombie powered Siege Weapons sounds real cool, Having siege rules to implement the Zombie Siege wagon would be even cooler.

Bloody Nunchucks
22-07-2010, 17:20
HE lion calvary or war beasts would be cool

zombie war machines would be cool

epic things like zeppilins would'nt be cool in my opinion because then they would be something that everybody would use when in fluff they are very very rare

Sygerrik
22-07-2010, 17:49

epic things like zeppilins would'nt be cool in my opinion because then they would be something that everybody would use when in fluff they are very very rare

I agree that some of this stuff doesn't belong in regular sized games. I would be a very happy man, though, if they printed up a couple articles in White Dwarf with rules for big stuff, with the stipulation that they be used in Legendary Battles only. And some of these seem to be hints about things we'll see in upcoming army books-- I'm thinking specifically of the Tomb Kings and possible Bone Giant options, and OnG with the giant spider. But come on. Egyptian-style ships made of bone that glide across the sands? That is just so freaking cool.

Spider-pope
22-07-2010, 17:55

If anything comes of the big stuff being mentioned throughout the rulebook, it'll likely be as part of an apocalypse style expansion for Warhammer (hopefully including full siege rules) so i wouldn't be too worried about them turning up in every game.

Von Wibble
22-07-2010, 18:03
Is it not a possibility that this opens the way for fantasy forgeworld projects rather than new units in army books?

tacoo
22-07-2010, 18:03
Not just bears. PLATED war bears. Panzerbjorn, here we come.

well if they make it a unit, at least we already have models from warmachine that include armoured bears.

GodlessM
22-07-2010, 19:25
@Odin; I think Coatls were in the 5th edition list. I didn't play much back then so I could be wrong, but there are definitely GW models of them. Might have been when they were the Slann army also.

Actually the OP is not mistaken at all. The molten flesh thingies are from the WoC section. What you are thinking of is the brief sentence on page 157: "In the Dark Lands, the blacksmiths of Chaos emerge from their citadels. Amongst them come lava spewing golems and vast winged bulls branded with the mark of the father of darkness"

Bollox you are right, this is what I am thinking of. Thanks Spider-pope. Apologies to mrtn. Case closed.

Will reply to this in PM, though I have bolded both of your exaggerations here for you, and also italicised the gross exaggeration of this post.

EDIT: I am not interested in continuing a flame war amongst you all, but I didn't see anything rude in GodlessM's original post. As such, I don't think there's any reason for flaming him, even if things might have happened in the past.

Thanks mate.

Anvilbrow
22-07-2010, 21:00
A few of these can be accounted for elsewhere;

- Chimera used to be available to the Empire back in the day I believe, and if I'm not mistaken remained in the fluff the odd time.True, I had one of the unreleased chimeras at one point. Heck, Dwarfs could buy them as part of the 25% Monsters allowed in every army in 4th ed

- Giant Flesh Hounds once existed as a mount for Arbaal.[COLOR="red"]Yep. Still have one I use as a demonic steed.

- Beastmen Mutant-Tree was in a White Dwarf scenario quite some time ago. Hadsothing like T10 and W30. check

- Ong; Giant Spiders are in the works for the next book for sure (collosal model) and the Idol has been present during the Storm of Chaos. There already is a model as big as a (smallish) house. The Idol in SOC didn't fire from its eyes though

- Bone Giant is meant to get a Giant Bow option in the new TK book. And has already had rules in a White Dwarf, as well as a nicely converted model. They also had a hand weapion, shield version.

- Lizardmen feathered serpents are called Coatls and were once part of the army. True again, both in WD and in 3rd edition WFB

Tomb Kings also lists Rocs IIRC (loaned my copy to a friend so I can't look up the exact wording--but I don't think it was by name but more like 'flying bird mount'). These also pre-existed as the orignal undead Carrion, complete with cute little skeletal riders

Additionally, as has been mentioned, Kislev bear riders are already a unit ... in Warmaster. Chaos Dwarf engines are mentioned in the 4th or 5th edition book fluff.

I think a fairly high proportion of these ideas are not new, the players are. Many of them hearken back to the pre-modern game (i.e. 1-3rd editions) or are from early fluff, are found in the hallowed pages of White Dwarf back when it didn't suck, are in the Black Library books (I've heard- I can't read that tripe), or are already in spin off games, such as Warmaster (kislev bear riders, Tomb King sphinxes) and Mordheim (Thing in the Woods= giant rat creature).

I personally hope that some sort of Apocalypse rules for Fantasy are released and that GW/Forge World create new giant models. I welcome new opportunities to play Warhammer in new ways and to possess more precious stuff............:evilgrin: