PDA

View Full Version : Daemon Prince Poll

Doommasters
22-07-2010, 02:25
Should the Warriors of Chaos Daemon Prince be FAQ to allow him to take 100 points worth of magic items?

While you can argue that it would be best to wait for a new book and fix up the Dp through better abilities or gifts, as just said this would require a new book that will be years away. Hence this poll is not about that, rather looking at what GW could do in the short term.

sephiroth87
22-07-2010, 02:28
It would be nice. But I don't see it happening. They didn't make any big FAQ changes and they're not going to do something like that to chaos, which already got a big boost in 8th edition.

sulla
22-07-2010, 02:29
No, I don't think so. Magic weapons, I could see, but armour and scrolls and the like don't seem very daemon-like.

If you asked if the gifts of chaos should be expanded to include more useful items, then yes...

Paraelix
22-07-2010, 02:31
Yeh... The gifts in the WoC book are very "meh" on a DP.

Doommasters
22-07-2010, 02:34
No, I don't think so. Magic weapons, I could see, but armour and scrolls and the like don't seem very daemon-like.

If you asked if the gifts of chaos should be expanded to include more useful items, then yes...

I would really like that, but that would never happen without a new book. Where as they could FAQ saying:

"The Daemon Prince can take 100 points worth of magic items"

Or

"The Daemon Prince can take a magic weapon from the AB or BRB"

Minsc
22-07-2010, 02:35
It would certainly make the Prince appealing, and you'd think that GW would want to sell as many modells as possible.
Right now, the WoC Prince is a overpriced joke.

Doommasters
22-07-2010, 02:38
It would certainly make the Prince appealing, and you'd think that GW would want to sell as many modells as possible.

Yip, i for one would buy a DP in a heart beat of they could take magic items. Even then they would still be expensive points wise.

Gaargod
22-07-2010, 02:39
Not as bad as the DoC one! I think it actually, somehow, got worse.

I'd like to vote 'He should be allowed to, but it won't happen in a month of sundays'

Ultimate Life Form
22-07-2010, 02:40

You'd think that, and actually this is also the case, but GW fails to understand the proposed concept on practically every level.

Proof: LM Book release.
Create entirely new unit: Razordon (never existed before, so in theory every LM player needs a few), make it a spitting image of an already existing unit (Salamander), only absolutely inferior in almost every regard. On top of that make the Razordon direct only while the Salamander is still freely available. Fail. :no:

Denny_Crane
22-07-2010, 04:13
This is a fail on GW's part. Giving Daemon Princes 100 points of magic items will make them a more viable Lord choice in WoC armies and encourage more people to buy the new plastic box set coming out in August.

Urdokadin
22-07-2010, 05:43
Where's the part of the poll where it adds chaos armor to these big missile magnets in addition to the option to 100 points of magic items.

DaemonReign
22-07-2010, 07:44

This is news to me, but then again most of our WoC-forces are still in their sprues.

At least the WoC prince actually gets Something for choosing a Mark. At least we're not talking about a Large Target that causes Fear but a regular target that causes Terror (ok the importance of this is Less in 8th but still).

I'm gonna trust the overwhelming majority on this one: If they say the WoC prince is a joke rivalling the DoC prince then I'll believe them (whiners of chaos need to have each others backs after all).

Lord of Divine Slaughter
22-07-2010, 09:06
See no reason why not. I used to run him with Lore of Fire for the Flaming Sword of Rhuin. Not very cost effective, but a whole lot of fun. Now with the augment spells designed to help units, this build just got even worse.

But these threads are generally a waste of time. GW designed the game for you to expand upon - take a look at the Siege of Volganof for inspiration. If you can't be bothered to do this,.. Well, you're just losing out :)

Remember, there aren't any GW Gameswatch chapter of marines to come and break down your door, when you aren't playing the game exactly up to GW standards :)

Notasquick
22-07-2010, 23:51
The Daemon Prince, Giant, Dragon, and Repeater Bolt Thrower, need to be consistent throughout the game.

A given model should operate identically across army books. In reality that would mean their generic definition belongs in a single rulebook (possibly the main rule book (RBT), maybe an army book (DP), or even monster supplement (Giant and Dragon)) and then be referenced by the relevant army book (This seems a good enough reason in itself to have retained the "Dogs of War" army book entries.).

In the Daemon Prince case, that seems to indicate the definition should be in the Daemons of Chaos army book with the reference in the Warriors of Chaos army book. If that means changing the cost, statistics, equipment, and special rules, to reach that goal so be it.

Paraelix
23-07-2010, 00:01
Notasquick.

Giants- Chaos ones try to eat people. Ogre ones are broken and in chains. Hence the differences.

Dragons- come in all shapes and sizes. Should we just have a generic profile for all races too?

Doommasters
23-07-2010, 00:06
The Daemon Prince, Giant, Dragon, and Repeater Bolt Thrower, need to be consistent throughout the game.

A given model should operate identically across army books. In reality that would mean their generic definition belongs in a single rulebook (possibly the main rule book (RBT), maybe an army book (DP), or even monster supplement (Giant and Dragon)) and then be referenced by the relevant army book (This seems a good enough reason in itself to have retained the "Dogs of War" army book entries.).

In the Daemon Prince case, that seems to indicate the definition should be in the Daemons of Chaos army book with the reference in the Warriors of Chaos army book. If that means changing the cost, statistics, equipment, and special rules, to reach that goal so be it.

I would be a sad panda if all dragons and giants etc were all the same, this would take the fun of Warhammer.

Notasquick
23-07-2010, 11:09
Giants- Chaos ones try to eat people. Ogre ones are broken and in chains. Hence the differences.

Yes, they might have some difference but in general they are all giants.

Dragons- come in all shapes and sizes. Should we just have a generic profile for all races too?

Yes, generic racial templates across a game system make common sense. It would be much better for gameplay, and game maintenance, to have one generic definition of men/elves/skeletons/daemons rather than many.

I would be a sad panda if all dragons and giants etc were all the same, this would take the fun of Warhammer.

In such a system, nothing is stopping extra detail been layered on top of the generic definition within the reference entry.

An example in the current system would be, the generic definition of stone throwers given in the main rulebook but used in conjunction with the specific layered reference of the empire mortar in the army book (at least in the Ammendment part of the FAQ).

Desert Rain
23-07-2010, 11:32
Allowing the daemon prince to take magical items would certainly make it a much more appealing, and competitively viable, choice than it is today.